It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
The_Grunt: I just hope that Nordic Games departure isn't the sign of future and more publishers leaving us...
People keep wondering about GOG's future. GOG has indicated they will adopt more publisher set regional specific pricing so that'll like serve as a stopgap for future losses. It's regretable that could not be done in a timeframe sufficient to preserve most of the Nordic catalog - maybe the issue here is that GOG just doesn't want to change the prices of pre-existing catalog titles.
IronArcturus: In the special, which series is better: The Desperados series or the Full Spectrum Warrior series?
How dare you ask a question in this particular thread about the games on sale?! :P

Siegor: So, any classics on that 35 games list that are "must buys"? I'm looking at Gothic 3 and Freedom Force. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
You might want to check out these threads:
Nordic Bucket List - Top 5 Games You MUST Own.
&
Which Gothic?
&
buy Gothic series if you don't like Morrowind?
undeadcow: [...] maybe the issue here is that GOG just doesn't want to change the prices of pre-existing catalog titles.
Not really.
IronArcturus: Do you know if Desperados has any in-game saving or a windowed mode?
No windowed mode, unfortunately.
About saves... I think I may have misunderstood the definition of in-game saving, but I'll tell you this: you can save in every moment, it has a quicksave option and you can restart any mission you have completed anytime.
Is that what you were asking? Sorry if it's not! :)
IronArcturus: Do you know if Desperados has any in-game saving or a windowed mode?
It does have quicksaves, but alas, it does not officially support window mode. There is an unofficial workaround here, but no guarantees.

Meh, ninja'd by a ghost.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Grargar
Enebias: No windowed mode, unfortunately.
About saves... I think I may have misunderstood the definition of in-game saving, but I'll tell you this: you can save in every moment, it has a quicksave option and you can restart any mission you have completed anytime.
Is that what you were asking? Sorry if it's not! :)
Yeah, I basically wanted to know if it saves "in mission." Some games only allow saving after a level or mission is completed.
ThomNG: Dear GOG Community,

first of all I have to say that it is so great to see that "grown-up" attitude and how objectively the whole topic was discussed. It is a pleasure being part of the GOG.com community (both as a gamer and as a publisher's representative). Here is our statement on this matter:

At Nordic Games, we treasure all the strong and long-dated partnerships with our offline- and online retail partners equally. We believe and aim for an equal treatment between the digital, and the boxed versions of all our games and among said partners.

The decision to remove certain games from the gog.com platform was not an easy one. Gog.com and Nordic simply were not able to reach a mutual agreement at the moment. We considered several aspects and implications thereof, while also staying true to our equal treatment principles towards all of our partners worldwide.

However, this decision does not affect our company’s viewpoint on the following subject areas:
- We like the gog.com folks and we will continue to work together with gog.com on selected games
- We unrestrictedly share gog.com’s stance on DRM-free versions and we will keep releasing DRM-free and/or widely accepted DRM versions of our games.
- Our own equal treatment principles remain coherent; we do not want to put one of our partners in a special place and cause a stir with other partners

What do we mean with the last point exactly?
Given gog.com’s decision to aim for an exchange-rate orientated pricing would leave us in the unenviable position of constantly having to adapt our pricings in all territories on- and offline to ensure an equal treatment. As exchange rates are very dynamic in nature with the potential of shifting rapidly, and given our network of more than 100 off- and online partners, this will result in a significant amount of extra time and work. For a company of our size, this can result in a non-manageable effort and will heavily impact our work hours, which we would like to dedicate to all the great games in our pipeline (such as The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, SpellForce 3, The Guild 3, MX vs. ATV Supercross and many more), rather than constantly adapting our global pricing structure.

We are aware that this decision might lead to raised eyebrows amongst certain members of the gaming community, but it had to be made and we as a company adhere to it.

With playful and gaming regards,

Nordic Games
Thanks for the post.
Im sad to see them go
hoping to see them here again in the future.
ReynardFox: It was not about old games not bringing in enough money, it's pretty clear that the pool of new 'good old' games was going to run dry sooner rather than later, with many of the best oldies not here tied up in licensing nightmares, GOG had to expand.
I'm not buying that. Does having ~100 of the ~1700 adventure games released pre-2000k (i.e. ~ 5%) seem like a well that's drying up? With folks often lamenting the lack of strategy/sim releases at the expense of adventures and platformers, curious what the numbers are on other genres.

Obviously only a portion of those are worthy of bringing in, and only a portion of those worthy will be attainable. But even going by TETs conservative guess (which I don't agree with), they'd still have another ~100 to go, which should last them another ~5 years with their trickling release schedule. It's all conjecture obviously, but I'm not buying the Tale of the Drying Well.
synfresh: +1, best post of the thread. There was a time where GoG never thought of themselves as directly competing with Steam because they were selling to mainly to different customer interests with older games. At some point they realized that old games wasn't bringing in enough money but the problem is once you start offering pretty much the same products as everyone else, you start to lose your identity of what made you unique in the first place. DRM-Free wasn't the only reason.
ReynardFox: It was not about old games not bringing in enough money, it's pretty clear that the pool of new 'good old' games was going to run dry sooner rather than later, with many of the best oldies not here tied up in licensing nightmares, GOG had to expand or risk stagnation.

And no matter what you say, we need a direct competitor to Steam, a competitor that offers a wide selection of games and doesn't force it's DRM bullshit down our throats, GOG has a shot at being that.

If they can stop with the boneheaded decisions like these latest ones that is.
But GoG doesn't offer a 'wide' selection of games that competes on the level of the Steam catalog. The closest 'competitor' that I've seen to Steam would be something like Amazon.
Announce intent to remove games, see sales spike.
Later reintroduce games, see sales spike.

I'm not really suggesting GOG is this tricksy, but it's a cool experiment nonetheless.
low rated
synfresh: But GoG doesn't offer a 'wide' selection of games that competes on the level of the Steam catalog. The closest 'competitor' that I've seen to Steam would be something like Amazon.
All of the digital and physical games I bought on Amazon were activated/downloaded via Steam.

Heck, many games sold in boxes are activated on Steam. The physical retail copies of Skyrim (Bethesda), XCOM (2K) and South Park: Stick of Truth (Ubisoft) require Steam activation. South Park is particularly strange because it uses Steam instead of UPlay for activation.

Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
Post edited August 28, 2014 by ktchong
ThomNG: Given gog.com’s decision to aim for an exchange-rate orientated pricing would leave us in the unenviable position of constantly having to adapt our pricings in all territories on- and offline to ensure an equal treatment. As exchange rates are very dynamic in nature with the potential of shifting rapidly, and given our network of more than 100 off- and online partners, this will result in a significant amount of extra time and work.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply here to try and make things clearer. It is as I presumed that this recent unfortunate removal of the games is due to the complications created by GOG's introduction of local currency payment options for different territories. It is just a great shame that an understanding could not be reached with GOG to keep the games here and I hope that after you have had more time to think about it you may find a way to bring back these games to GOG on suitable terms for both of you.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by stg83
synfresh: But GoG doesn't offer a 'wide' selection of games that competes on the level of the Steam catalog. The closest 'competitor' that I've seen to Steam would be something like Amazon.
ktchong: All of the games I bought on Amazon were activated/downloaded via Steam.

Heck, many games sold in boxes are activated on Steam. The physical retail copies of Skyrim (Bethesda), XCOM (2K) and South Park: Stick of Truth (Ubisoft) require Steam activation. South Park is particularly strange because it uses Steam instead of UPlay for activation.

Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
They offer games that activate on Origin too. They also offer games that don't activate on neither and you download from Amazon. My point was that they (amazon) still offer a variety that GoG cannot compete with on a sales level because they don't offer to generate any sales to begin with.
ThomNG: Given gog.com’s decision to aim for an exchange-rate orientated pricing would leave us in the unenviable position of constantly having to adapt our pricings in all territories on- and offline to ensure an equal treatment. As exchange rates are very dynamic in nature with the potential of shifting rapidly, and given our network of more than 100 off- and online partners, this will result in a significant amount of extra time and work.
stg83: Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply here to try and make things clearer. It is as I presumed that this recent unfortunate removal of the games is due to GOG's introduction of local currency payment option for different territories. It is just a great shame that an understanding could not be reached with GOG to keep the games here and I hope that after you have had more time to think about it you may find a way to bring back these games to GOG on suitable terms for both of you.
I understand where they are coming from. The alternative is not do anything at which point you are giving preferential pricing to GoG only which I'm sure would run afoul with every other partner.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by synfresh
ktchong: Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
Yes and I also know that for this very reason I am one of the potential costumers the publishers of those games are missing out on.

In short, money is power because 'Money Makes the World Go Around' and as follows voting with your wallet empowers you as a consumer.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Lemon_Curry
ktchong: Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
Lemon_Curry: Yes and I also know that for this very reason I am one of the potential costumers the publishers of those games are missing out on.
Exactly. Gamers shouldn't be forced to use an always-online client if they don't want to. That's why I wish more game devs would go the DRM-free route so their games can practically last forever.