It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
LeonardoCornejo: I just made a wish with my proposal of USD lock

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/make_a_usd_lock_for_games_with_pricing_issues

Please if you agree, vote for it.
fronzelneekburm: Personally, I'd prefer a USD lock for all the games. I just don't see the obvious upsides to users being able to pay in their respective currencies, maybe somebody is willing to educate me on these.
Some people have to pay really high conversion fees.
Edit: an example
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Shambhala
eiii: That would be DRM, wouldn't it?
djdarko: Oh man (or lady) don't get people started on that, I heard there's a forum thread 1000 pages long with people arguing over that question.
Ok ok, didn't want to start a flame war. So keep to mention it explicitly to be safe and I can add another reason for beeing on GOG. :)
jalister: Some other niches that GOG could excel at are getting games that aren't so old re-released here DRM free. Some of the Ubisoft games are great examples. I'd love to see games like Darksiders or the complete version of Saints Row released her. So many games just over two years old can be bought for $5 on a Steam sale. Dump the DRM and breathe new life into them. I also think releasing some new games that are a direct throwback to the old days are a great fit here. Games like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn and Shadowrun Returns.
Thankfully Shadowrun Returns is already here and Wasteland 2 will come to GOG too. ;)
jalister: Some other niches that GOG could excel at are getting games that aren't so old re-released here DRM free. Some of the Ubisoft games are great examples. I'd love to see games like Darksiders or the complete version of Saints Row released her. So many games just over two years old can be bought for $5 on a Steam sale. Dump the DRM and breathe new life into them. I also think releasing some new games that are a direct throwback to the old days are a great fit here. Games like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn and Shadowrun Returns.
+1, it has not to be old games vs. new games. Just take any (good) game which you can get DRM free and sell it.
Wurzelkraft: Thankfully Shadowrun Returns is already here and Wasteland 2 will come to GOG too. ;)
Yes. I believe Pillars of Eternity will be coming here to, and the Divinity games appear to be staying.
jalister: Some other niches that GOG could excel at are getting games that aren't so old re-released here DRM free. Some of the Ubisoft games are great examples. I'd love to see games like Darksiders or the complete version of Saints Row released her.
Darksiders belongs to Nordic Games now, if I am not completely mistaken.
jalister: Some other niches that GOG could excel at are getting games that aren't so old re-released here DRM free. Some of the Ubisoft games are great examples. I'd love to see games like Darksiders or the complete version of Saints Row released her.
goglier: Darksiders belongs to Nordic Games now, if I am not completely mistaken.
You're correct, and it belongs here. :)
ThomNG: ...As exchange rates are very dynamic in nature with the potential of shifting rapidly, and given our network of more than 100 off- and online partners, this will result in a significant amount of extra time and work...
If it is the case regional disparity is just an honest convenience for a publisher/developer unable to recalculate for daily changes, this might be a great opportunity for Nordic to set currency exchange rates that are more equivilant. It seems understandable there will always been some inequity by region due to changing rates but the near 1:1 rate used on Steam, etc stretches things further than most customers are comfortable with. Using a standard more in line with $1 = 1.6pounds = etc would probably get Nordic some positive buzz overall and likely allow Nordic to keep things equal not just across stores but also across regions. It's not like Nordic is trying to cash grab with unequal currency equivilants and intentionally charge more (like some publishers/developers are known to).
Post edited August 28, 2014 by undeadcow
I'm mainly purchasing games here on GOG, because I love to play again properly working versioins of those old gems I played through the late 80's and whole 90's and why not a bit later to the next millenium. For newer stuff, it has to be somewhat already forgotten cult classic of recent past that I'm interested in it and it doesn't matter if it is still available somewhere else: again, GOG pricing and DRM free makes this place usually the store to make the purchase in these cases. Also, community gives here proper respect to these gems, older or newer, which is great! I have no objections of GOG releasing same indie titles that many other sites has, but I'm not that interested in them. There needs to be something "special" in the game, which IMO is lost in most of these later releases. For me GOG is this treasure chest of rare games and DRM free is of course great, but definitely not my main point here. It is the good old games, that I'm seeking.

I just hope that Nordic Games departure isn't the sign of future and more publishers leaving us. There are still soooo many old gems that deserve get in the gog catalogue and I'd just like to see GOG making all the proper decisions to get these games here. I'll support that for sure!
high rated
synfresh: +1, best post of the thread. There was a time where GoG never thought of themselves as directly competing with Steam because they were selling to mainly to different customer interests with older games. At some point they realized that old games wasn't bringing in enough money but the problem is once you start offering pretty much the same products as everyone else, you start to lose your identity of what made you unique in the first place. DRM-Free wasn't the only reason.
It was not about old games not bringing in enough money, it's pretty clear that the pool of new 'good old' games was going to run dry sooner rather than later, with many of the best oldies not here tied up in licensing nightmares, GOG had to expand or risk stagnation.

And no matter what you say, we need a direct competitor to Steam, a competitor that offers a wide selection of games and doesn't force it's DRM bullshit down our throats, GOG has a shot at being that.

If they can stop with the boneheaded decisions like these latest ones that is.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by ReynardFox
In the special, which series is better: The Desperados series or the Full Spectrum Warrior series?
So, any classics on that 35 games list that are "must buys"? I'm looking at Gothic 3 and Freedom Force. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
Siegor: So, any classics on that 35 games list that are "must buys"? I'm looking at Gothic 3 and Freedom Force. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
Depends. What do you own already?
IronArcturus: In the special, which series is better: The Desperados series or the Full Spectrum Warrior series?
I don't think anyone can say that one is better than the other, because being them two different generes of games (the first real time strategy, the second a third person shooter combat simulator) makes imo a comparison impossible. Besides, I did not personally play FSW...
I can tell you without restraints that Desperados is excellent in what it does, though! I think its presence will be sorely missed...
Enebias: I don't think anyone can say that one is better than the other, because being them two different generes of games (the first real time strategy, the second a third person shooter combat simulator) makes imo a comparison impossible. Besides, I did not personally play FSW...
I can tell you without restraints that Desperados is excellent in what it does, though! I think its presence will be sorely missed...
Do you know if Desperados has any in-game saving or a windowed mode?