It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
low rated
Matruchus: God the game is priced the same on gog yes. Go to other store and you will see that it costs a lot more. Maybe not for Poland that is known as a piracy haven similar to Russia and for your two countries the prices have to be artificially lowered cause of that. My country when its regionally priced is always put together with the better going countries like Germany and I have to pay their prices - do I like that no. And goodbye now.
And again, if you bothered to actually fucking read my posts, you'd know that I said GOG pricing does screw you over, only LESS than 1 dollar = 1 euro pricing.

But still does screw you over.

If you don't understand that, you are beyond help.
Matruchus: God the game is priced the same on gog yes. Go to other store and you will see that it costs a lot more. Maybe not for Poland that is known as a piracy haven similar to Russia and for your two countries the prices have to be artificially lowered cause of that. My country when its regionally priced is always put together with the better going countries like Germany and I have to pay their prices - do I like that no. And goodbye now.
keeveek: And again, if you bothered to actually fucking read my posts, you'd know that I said GOG pricing does screw you over, only LESS than 1 dollar = 1 euro pricing.

But still does screw you over.

If you don't understand that, you are beyond help.
I read you posts and they are full of bullshit. No one gives a damn in the publishing world how much anybody earns in each country. They just fix the prices as they wan't and most off Europe is screwed over. A few exceptions are some pirating eastern countries like yours.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Matruchus
Let's see: 175 euro is the minimal wage allowed in this hellhole. Which is what most of the country earns and people hardly can get by from one month to another, due to heavy taxation and insane pricing for utilities ( also gas costs more tjhan in many western EU country ). I'm "lucky" to get 300 euro and i still barely get by.
And as a funny thing, steam prices for Romania are the Western Europe prices, plus i can't get some games from Steam, due that some idiotic publishers are putting Romania in the same area with Russia, while Steam puts the same prices as for Western Europe. So we kind of getting the worst of it. No favors and a lot of disadvantages. So, here, GOG was the cheaper alternative for quite a few things. The steam stuff that i got dirt cheap came from bundles only, everything else being bought in summer/winter sales or over at least one year since launch. GOG week-end sales are still allowing to buy some good stuff cheap. Looks like not anymore. And losing Nordic, it's kind of a nasty thing. Would really like to know if we'll ever get those games back (as many of the games removed did not came back, i have serious doubts).
Kinda offtopic?
blotunga: Well, to be honest I'm one of those cultists :P. Do you think it's fair to pay more than an American just because you live in a shitty Eastern European country?
keeveek: No, I should pay LESS, becuase I earn approximately 3-4 times LESS than an American.

So I have to work 3 times more hours to buy a game working on similar job.
No, you should not: a videogame is not a steack, a muscle car is not a steak, jewels are not steaks.

Sorry to break it down to you but videogames are luxury items, cultural items like books, movies and music... and luxury items. If a price is too high for a luxury item, wait for a sale, GOG makes them quite often.

Think five minutes upon that and you will see it's a sensible argument.

Cheers,
Probably. Depends of your point of view. It slipped a bit in the pricing/economics area, which many people think to be the cause of losing Nordic. The point was that stuff can be worse than it is in Poland or in a few others former communist countries.

I wanted a few Nordic games and i'll try to get the ones that i want before they are gone. Sure i will take a blow in the budget, but at least i will have DRM free the ones that i really want. And if i can make that effort with my shitty salary, to satisfy my needs, i don't get most of the outcry.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by wolfsrain
low rated
Zoidberg: No, you should not: a videogame is not a steack, a muscle car is not a steak, jewels are not steaks.

Sorry to break it down to you but videogames are luxury items, cultural items like books, movies and music... and luxury items. If a price is too high for a luxury item, wait for a sale, GOG makes them quite often.

Think five minutes upon that and you will see it's a sensible argument.

Cheers,
Good joke, but the way you define games from your comfy place in Belgium has nothing to do with it.

It might be a shocker to you, but jewelery, muscle cars and other stuff is most likely cheaper here than in Belgium. Pretty much everything has price calculated to the local market. Except video games.

I buy books for equivalent of 3 dollars a piece. Sue me. ;)

And if you only see a price of a product as a number, you need to do much more than 5 minutes of thinking. But at least try to imagine what if games in Belgium costed 160 EUR a piece. You'd probably know how it is to be Polish.

Well, I tried my best here, but now I have to start backup up my GOG games catalog. GOG's going to lose more and more business, so it's better to start now. See you guys ;-)
Post edited August 28, 2014 by keeveek
Here we go again
htown1980: How do you know this? Is there some info on this?
Matruchus: Here post from Gdoc on this issue in this thread: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226
thanks for the link. to me that sounds exactly like Nordic removing their games from gog's catalogue because they don't like/can't do the fair pricing thing.
I still have a few questions left:

1) Why did they introduce local pricing at all (I never had problems paying in US$ with my card from Germany)?
2) What are the reasons of the publishers why they want to charge more from different countries? Since the product is distributed digitally they don't have different costs - how do THEY defend this unfair behaviour?
3) Will Black Mirror 3 still come to GOG? I already have BM1 as retail version but I was thinking to buy all 3 to have them complete in one place. No point in doing so if it never will appear here.

Thank you GOG for giving us the last chance but I think in the end I will pass this opportunity because creedy publishers don't deserve a single cent from me - even with the discount given from GOG.
MarkoH01: I still have a few questions left:

1) Why did they introduce local pricing at all (I never had problems paying in US$ with my card from Germany)?
Some cards and banks have issues with it. During some promo's when I bought games, the bank would stop all payment and it would take a 30 minute phone call to get it unblocked and working again. Just assuring them it wasn't fraud. This has happened multiple times as well. You can gather how annoying that is during promo's with a timer.

Of more note, it also helps people know what the exact price is so they can pay the bills, sometimes the currency conversions are off and you have to redo your bills.
StingingVelvet: ...
And beyond all of that, dismissing everything I just said, publishers should be able to charge what they want. You shouldn't tell them what to charge. Let the market decide how proper the price is. The consumer is in complete control in a capitalist system. If GOG users thing 6 Euro is too much then they won't buy, and Nordic will reconsider their pricing. Steam can charge a $ = Euro price because people accept it, don't care, and know it's the same price as in their local shop anyway.
Except your capitalism doesn't work at all. Prices for the Czech Republic are set on some universal EU price model where higher average wage in many countries is at least twice as much.

For example:
Poland - 681 euros
Czech Republic - 705 euros
Germany - 2054 euros
UK - 2498 euros
France - 2128 euros
Spain - 1615 euros

Our market is small and our sales don't affect anything as a result. Game has sold only handful of copies? No problem, keep it that way, it is a part of EU anyway and the income are well balanced by Germans and the rest of it.

And local shops sell almost always games cheaper even if the difference is not staggering. And people are wondering why a ratio of pirated games is so high in this country...
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Rinu
ktchong: I said it and warned about the so-called "fair" pricing before GOG implemented it. A lot of people were upset at me for speaking out. However, I am gonna say it again:

Equal is not the same as fair. Here is a good example: communism supposedly enforces economic equality, but it is also fundamentally unfair. What GOG has is "equal" pricing, i.e., equalized prices across different regions. However, is nothing fair about GOG's so-called "fair" pricing. In fact, it is economically and fundamentally unfair.

Here is a simple economic fact: a dozen eggs do NOT and should NOT cost the same in the US, Europe and China. The eggs should not even cost the same in different European nations. Different regions have different wage levels, different living standards, different tax rates, different piracy rates, different socio-economic conditions, etc. So the same merchandize is actually worth very differently to people in different regions. The same economic principle applies to video games as well.

When GOG makes American customers and Western European customers pay the exact same price for a game (on the face value,) American customers - who have lower socio-economic standards than people in many Western European nations - are actually paying more. That is the gist of some very important economic fundamentals.

When I first read about the misnamed "fair" pricing, the economist in me immediately reacted, "how is it fair?!? It is most unfair." The prices may be equalized across borderlines, but economically it is certainly NOT fair. I knew GOG would lose publishers over the "fair" pricing idiocy. I brought it up in the GOG forum as a warning, but was immediately dismissed and silenced by mobs who demanded "fair" pricing. Mob mentality seems to rule at GOG. Now GOG is suffering the consequences. It does not bore well for the long-term viability of GOG if publishers start abandoning GOG over the equal-yet-unfair pricing.
By your logic every customer should provide its' socio-economic data and prices should be calculated for individual customer.

I live in EU, but my salary is 30% of the salary I would get for the same job position in Germany, yet my software prices are the same as someone in Germany.

Also, my salary is 2.5x of mean salary for my country, my wife brings home income in the same pay grade as me. In a country where unemployment rate is over 20% percent this is rare. Why am I paying the same price for the game as the guy in my building who lives on welfare? He should be given games for free using your logic.
Gothic leaving:(
Just to let some of you know something that you seem to be unaware of. These are markets we're talking about here. Publishers aren't some subsidized government program that sells games based on your income. It's based on the regional market, which includes several factors. If it was based only on income, the top countries would be paying the most and the bottom countries would be paying the least. They don't, because that's not how it works.

Edit: To clarify, I'm referring to the discussion going on here where some members seem to think that game prices are based on their income. I'm not advocating anything.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by JohnnyDollar