It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Djungelurban: This kinda sucks, but I rather see these games go than to allow any more "exceptions" to your principles...
MoP: Like these?
Well fuck...
fish_lx: WTF - There are quite a number of GREAT games beeing removed.
MetalPlateMage: Yeah, quite a few classics there. At least it means the first real decent sale at GOG since the summer sale :p.

Q: Pick up the Gothic 3 expansion? The review dates seem to be removed with the site revamp, which it makes rather difficult to evaluate them, and the top rated ones say it is a late cash grab made a completely unrelated dev studio with nothing to do with the gothic universe... or something?
I haven't played it yet, but the reviews are fairly terrible (saying it's very buggy and not in the spirit of the original games). However a few reviews say that the expansion was redone by fans to remove the bugs, and it's cheap enough that I figured "What the hell?" and bought it anyway just so I wouldn't doubt myself later wondering what I missed. It's probably safe to skip, but if you're really on the fence then it might be worth buying just in case it turns out to be decent.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Jennifer
PaladinWay: I'm in US, so I don't see what regional prices were. I'm not finding the posts on the new site and I'm only finding the middle announcement on archive.org (http://web.archive.org/web/20140228104144/http://www.gog.com/news/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing). The first one was where they said they were going to do new releases with the same pricing everywhere else. They came back and said they'd offer specific game codes to make up the price differences with Age of Wonders III announcement (http://web.archive.org/web/20140228104150/http://www.gog.com/news/preorder_age_of_wonders_iii) and then changed it to any $6 or $10 game when it was released. At some point after that I recall them coming back and saying they would continue with the deals they had but wouldn't pursue future deals that required that.
There was no 'coming back'. They were already offering 'fairer price' compensation before they even did the Back to Our Roots statement. In that statement they simply committed themselves to doing it for all future regionally priced games (for the time being at least). There was however no change in the intention to release regionally priced games on GOG. In fact it was specifically mentioned they were going to 'do their best' to get fair pricing (which they already said in their original statement), but in the end it was up to the publishers. They just worded it better that time.

I've never seen a statement that they wouldn't pursue future deals like that, and given the current situation of the Daedalic games being regionally priced now, if they did say it, it would have been a lie, so it's doubtful.
Pheace: There was no 'coming back'. They were already offering 'fairer price' compensation before they even did the Back to Our Roots statement. In that statement they simply committed themselves to doing it for all future regionally priced games (for the time being at least). There was however no change in the intention to release regionally priced games on GOG. In fact it was specifically mentioned they were going to 'do their best' to get fair pricing (which they already said in their original statement), but in the end it was up to the publishers. They just worded it better that time.

I've never seen a statement that they wouldn't pursue future deals like that, and given the current situation of the Daedalic games being regionally priced now, if they did say it, it would have been a lie, so it's doubtful.
Hmmm, I could be misremembering. I'll try another avenue of search.

Ok, the Back to Our Roots was what I was remembering. Point two to be exact. Are they offering store credit for Daedalic? If so, that seems as fair as they can manage and they aren't going back on anything. They did say they were going to go on a time average and not try to be currency speculators in their pricing, so the local currency price would probably fluctuate within some percentage bound (5-10% I seem to recall being mentioned in comments by GOG folks) being above or below as the exchange rates changed, and that seems reasonable. With still offering the ability to pay in US $ for those who have better exchange rates than public that seems to me like more an attempt at fairness/convenience than greed.

There is currently a blurb on the news post for this thread stating that they're having trouble with currency display and still working out the kinks. My judgement about how they are handling this will be reserved until they have more time to get the site working as they intend. I don't really trust them as much as I did before all this rolled out, but I'm willing to wait and see how they handle it before judging. I've seen my share of rollout mistakes at work in various jobs that made intentions look very different than were intended.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by PaladinWay
Pheace: Go back and read it yourself. Don't just read 'Back to our Roots' and think that's what they did, actually read the article.

Nothing changed to their plans for introducing Regional pricing in that article. In fact they reaffirmed in that statement that they were going to do go ahead with it as planned.
PaladinWay: I'm in US, so I don't see what regional prices were. I'm not finding the posts on the new site (...). At some point after that I recall them coming back and saying they would continue with the deals they had but wouldn't pursue future deals that required that.
I don't believe they'd ever said that. Here's the "Back to our Roots" post which says this:
We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. (...) This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3, Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3.

In other words, "we'll do our best, but use regional when necessary". For whatever reason (good job TET I guess) many people seem to have read that as backing out of regional pricing with those few exceptions, which clearly is not the case.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by MoP
high rated
F4LL0UT: I tend to defend GOG most of the time but I must say, your post probably captures the situation pretty well. Considering what a mindfuck the pricing model is now I'm shocked that all other publishers are staying. The new pricing model is utter non-sense.
I also have typically defended GOG as I did not see previous changes as seriously affecting the catalog - and as long as they continued to bring games for sale DRM-free I was happy. But I have to express my disappointment today.

Losing games from the catalog is never good, but losing this many is NOT a good sign. Especially when most of the games are from a publisher who was one of GOG's biggest supporters. If Nordic games can't agree with GOG on carrying their titles imagine how this will affect publishers who were thinking about GOG but were on the fence.

And movies? 35 games will be gone but a few movies are added and that is an "improvement"?. I thought this was a game store? If I want to watch a movie I will go to Netflix who already do a great job at that particular segment of entertainment. Despite what the news post says, I really don't believe all kinds of major classic movies and TV shows will be appearing.

I came to GOG for classic games and DRM free games. Having less DRM-free games is a negative for me. Oh well, most things I really enjoy on the internet eventually do things which lessing their appeal. Why should this place be any different?

Oh, and the new site design broke the video and screenshot area in Safari 5.1.9. Don't tell me that the website only supports OSX 10.7 now too.
Attachments:
Post edited August 27, 2014 by CrowTRobo
PaladinWay: I'm in US, so I don't see what regional prices were. I'm not finding the posts on the new site (...). At some point after that I recall them coming back and saying they would continue with the deals they had but wouldn't pursue future deals that required that.
MoP: I don't believe they'd ever said that. Here's the "Back to our Roots" post which says this:
We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. (...) This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3, Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3.

In other words, "we'll do our best, but use regional when necessary". For whatever reason (good job TET I guess) many people seem to have read that as backing out of regional pricing with those few exceptions, which clearly is not the case.
I guess I see that the way I see some of the "see price in cart" prices on websites. Some of the sites are just being jerks, but others are selling for a price that they cannot advertise due to agreements with their vendors. If GOG offers immediate store credit but has to advertise at the regional price, so that someone buying 2 regionally priced games could buy the first one alone and then use the store credit on the second one (and then have another store credit), that seems like an honest attempt at fairness to me. Their first announcement was just regionally priced and too bad. If they're offering store credit they're either paying out of their own pockets or have negotiated a different price with their vendor as long as they don't advertise it (or a combo).
PaladinWay: Are they offering store credit for Daedalic? If so, that seems as fair as they can manage
Hence why I call it 'Fairer' pricing and not 'Fair pricing' as they're calling it.

If there's a new $40 game, and you have $40 and I have $40, you can buy the game but I can't, because I'll need ~$54 to buy the exact same game. Sure, I'll get 'store credit' back for the difference, but that's not fair pricing anymore.

Granted, it's head and tails above not getting compensation at all of course.

That said, in the end they're introducing regional pricing. Allowing the publishers to release regionally priced games. They're just covering the difference out of their own profit margin (pretty much nulls profit for EU/AU I imagine, however in return they gain sales from all the other regions + a better catalog).

For anyone who's against regional pricing this is giving in, as the publishers get exactly what they want. GOG's simply softening the blow for us. It also remains to be seen whether they'll continue to do so in the long run.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Pheace
low rated
Is this because rich countries want to pay the same price as poor countries? If so, you entitled cunts can fuck off.
realkman666: Is this because rich countries want to pay the same price as poor countries? If so, you entitled cunts can fuck off.
Of course. o_______o
PaladinWay: Are they offering store credit for Daedalic? If so, that seems as fair as they can manage
Pheace: Hence why I call it 'Fairer' pricing and not 'Fair pricing' as they're calling it.

If there's a new $40 game, and you have $40 and I have $40, you can buy the game but I can't, because I'll need ~$54 to buy the exact same game. Sure, I'll get 'store credit' back for the difference, but that's not fair pricing anymore.

Granted, it's head and tails above not getting compensation at all of course.

That said, in the end they're introducing regional pricing. Allowing the publishers to release regionally priced games. They're just covering the difference out of their own profit margin (pretty much nulls profit for EU/AU I imagine, however in return they gain sales from all the other regions + a better catalog).

For anyone who's against regional pricing this is giving in, as the publishers get exactly what they want. GOG's simply softening the blow for us. It also remains to be seen whether they'll continue to do so in the long run.
I guess I just see the store credit as inherently more bounded. If Steam sells that same game as $40 vs $54, I'm assuming that the publisher isn't taking the same cut for both and Valve gets $14 extra profit (I'd expect between $0 & $7 extra for Valve). So that being the case with GOG offering store credit for the difference, there's some degree of difference that's too high for them to cover. Sure, the store credit comes back to them so a $14 store credit costs them less than $14 by some amount, but there's still an economic point where they have to just not offer the game.

As a note, I could also see an argument for taking tax differences into account. For example, US has a sales tax (which is taken after the price) but no VAT (which is included in the price), so I could see price parity between the pre-tax part as fair too. (Granted, there's no Internet sales tax yet for the US, I'm sure it's coming as more and more commerce shifts to online sales.)
mm3n: I pretty much agree that the whole new pricing scheme is kinda broken - even more when currency conversion is never a fixed thing, some publishers might find out they are losing money on some sales, get scared and abandon the ship as well... Wasn't it much easier if none of that was actually implemented?

One fixed price throughout the world was totally fair for everyone ...

So in short: GOG, if you actually made a poll before making this change, maybe you would get enough feedback and rethink your position.

Edit: On a more practical topic, do you guys think Silver is worth it? ...
I totally agree with your post and I can't say about Silver, only that I bought it because of the reviews.
This hurts like hell especially seeing Gothic 2 leave. But y is Frictional leaving as well?
low rated
cw8: This hurts like hell especially seeing Gothic 2 leave. But y is Frictional leaving as well?
greedy scumbags maybe?
F4LL0UT: I tend to defend GOG most of the time but I must say, your post probably captures the situation pretty well. Considering what a mindfuck the pricing model is now I'm shocked that all other publishers are staying. The new pricing model is utter non-sense.
CrowTRobo: I also have typically defended GOG as I did not see previous changes as seriously affecting the catalog - and as long as they continued to bring games for sale DRM-free I was happy. But I have to express my disappointment today.

Losing games from the catalog is never good, but losing this many is NOT a good sign. Especially when most of the games are from a publisher who was one of GOG's biggest supporters. If Nordic games can't agree with GOG on carrying their titles imagine how this will affect publishers who were thinking about GOG but were on the fence.

And movies? 35 games will be gone but a few movies are added and that is an "improvement"?. I thought this was a game store? If I want to watch a movie I will go to Netflix who already do a great job at that particular segment of entertainment. Despite what the news post says, I really don't believe all kinds of major classic movies and TV shows will be appearing.

I came to GOG for classic games and DRM free games. Having less DRM-free games is a negative for me. Oh well, most things I really enjoy on the internet eventually do things which lessing their appeal. Why should this place be any different?

Oh, and the new site design broke the video and screenshot area in Safari 5.1.9. Don't tell me that the website only supports OSX 10.7 now too.
Yea this is only the beginning of the new pricing. I'm a little worried about what's going to happen tomorrow, or weeks/months down the road. Losing a game here or there is one thing, but 35??? That's a little startling to me.