It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
high rated
I pretty much agree that the whole new pricing scheme is kinda broken - even more when currency conversion is never a fixed thing, some publishers might find out they are losing money on some sales, get scared and abandon the ship as well. If currencies were introduced indeed to benefit the customer, it can be both a good and a bad thing - RU currency is in it's lowest amounts in some years now, if it rises to it's previous levels, Russians will have to actually pay more for the same content. Same is with dollar - euro and UK pound - some world events can have significant enough effect on these - and what will GOG do in such a case? Review it's currency conversion every month or 2? Wasn't it much easier if none of that was actually implemented?

One fixed price throughout the world was totally fair for everyone and no one felt they are being mistreated. It's also easier for GOG and publishers to collect their profits - in the end, publishers will pay the currency conversion fees that are supposedly saved from our pockets. But it can be a few cents for me as a customer, or a bag of money when enough sales are being made.

So in short: GOG, if you actually made a poll before making this change, maybe you would get enough feedback and rethink your position.

Edit: On a more practical topic, do you guys think Silver is worth it? I've never played it before, but it looks like a really nice RPG/adventure game that has really nice reviews, too. Any recommendations?
Post edited August 27, 2014 by mm3n
In other news, really not liking the bug(?) that stops me from figuring out what notification I just got on my account.
Is it a message? A forum reply? Something else?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!
FlamingFirewire: Talking about the games in this sale, does anyone have any thoughts on any or all of these games? I know it's a lot of games, but considering these games may never come back to the service until the far future, are there any other games from Nordic that I should get from here before they're gone?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge
If you're a fan of Commandos, the Desperados series should be right up your alley as it is the same gameplay and philosophy: guide a ragtag team of multi talented gunslingers through a campaign of isometric maps full of baddies that needs to be dispatched with stealth, traps, ambushes and gunfights.

Desperados 2 comes with both the classic, aerial, isometric viewpoint, and a first person viewpoint that can be used to help you out in close range gunfights. Mind you, even if you are in first person view, your weapons are still limited by the range used in isometric viewpoint, so you cannot pistol snipe baddies from afar like most recent FPS used us to, which makes the first person view more of an additional tool that you can use for indoors, or close quarter gunfights rather than a totally different play style.

Also introduced in Desperados 2 is a feature that allows you to issue several orders to different characters and have the characters execute their orders at the same time.

Desperados 2 received a sequel titled Helldorado, which was published by a different company and as such, couldn't use the "Desperados" brand name (and is probably the reason why it was never featured on GOG) but it features the same characters and pick up the story where Desperados 2 left it. If you liked Desperados 2, you'll probably love Helldorado too as it features the same winning formula.
loki21: you think paying 50% more is 'entitled' and 'cheapskate'? seriously?
fortune_p_dawg: Yes I do. I don't make a ton of money and would GLADLY pay a premium for getting new titles DRM-free. Hell, I'd pay more for every and any title here, WILLINGLY just to make my point. Seems people would rather see GOG die a slow death than give up this 'principal.' Because without games there will be no GOG. Eventually there won't be anyone left to buy Ultima VII or one of the Witcher titles because everyone will own them. Then what? Do you think GOG pays its employees checks of goodwill and customer hugs?
There more than a few who would refuse to pay double what the price should be.. There's regional pricing and there's ripoff regional pricing. The latter is what many of us really find disgusting.
k1bell: Can I say I want an explanation of why this is happening from BOTH GOG and the 2 publishers involved?
I second this! Yeah, we've let slide in the past when we were never given any reason for removals, but this is different. We deserve to know why these games are being removed all of a sudden. A few of these game were either brought back from removal and were just recently added to GoG. This is really a slap in the face to loyal customers. We deserve an explanation and all parties involved do owe us one! Especially with Nordic Games. Seriously, what's going on? They were talking about new games coming to GoG and were big supporters of GoG and now this! Frictional Games isn't exempt from this either. They are effectively removing DRM-Free options for Penumbra!
SentinelWolf: This thread says a lot of some of this community... regional pricing...
undeadcow: This thread also shows how silly and regional pricing obsessed the community is because these games being removed has nothing to do with regional pricing (which GOG allows and a dozen+ new regional prices today alone). It's instead based on unequal exchange rates in GOG's pricing tiers, per G-Doc.
In all honesty, im starting to come around to regional pricing. As long as it doesnt reach Activation/2K/Bethesda type levels i *might* be ok with it. Yes TW3 is regionally priced unfortunately :/.
The thing that really bugs me: Why are Black Mirror and Black Mirror 2 being removed? They just got on GOG last month! That seriously puzzles me, even more so as I was hoping for a release of the third game. I'd be glad if someone could elaborate!
Sad times... :-(

Given Nordic's previous good relationship with GOG I can't help but wonder if their games being withdrawn is related to their contracts with other services rather than issues with the new pricing structure here?

I may be totally off-base as I have no idea how these things work, but perhaps Nordic have contractual obligations outside of their agreement with GOG that prevents them from selling below a specific € or £ value (tied to $ based regional pricing on other platforms).

Given the number of games and the relatively low prices/profit margins involved the Fair Price Package deal may be too much for GOG to commit to, leaving the removal of the games as the only viable option until those outside contracts can be re-negotiated. It would certainly leave the door open for Nordic to bring their games back to GOG in the future.

As I said, I'm clueless about these things and this post is just the result of my random thought processes as I read everyone else's posts.
G-Doc: I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
I appreciate a slight clarification, but more would be appreciated if possible. I'm sure you don't want to burn any bridges with Nordic or set a publicly antagonistic tone that may make other publishers hesitant to trust you, but more info would be appreciated. Could someone from GOG perhaps reach out to Nordic and ask them for a statement that GOG could post as an official statement from them about this (in the forum for people paying attention to this specifically, not a news post that'll get attention from people who might not have noticed on their own)? If they agreed to some steep discounts and the early announcement I'm assuming there's still some communication lines open (that or your older game contract gives you more leeway no matter what they want). Honestly my questions are more for them, but a random post in the forum isn't authenticated as being from them, which is why it'd be appreciated if a GOG staff member could post it for them.

I'm remembering the outcry about GOG's announcement on abandoning regional pricing was very near the SpellForce 3 release (which I notice is no longer in the catalog from searching or links from earlier games in the series), so I'd imagine there were probably somewhat disappointing sales figures for Nordic on that title. Was there more backlash against them, or was it just something that made them consider the hassles not worth the payoff? I could understand them deciding not to add more content until they were sure they'd gotten all they could from it in other venues, but pulling old content that's fairly much self-sustaining from their cost/effort stance seems weird. I can't imagine they make more per game off of Steam or anything considering how steeply Steam ends up discounting games sometimes (or used to, haven't logged into Steam in a long time so not sure any more).

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm dumb. I was mixing up SpellForce 3 & Age of Wonders 3 in my mind. Some faulty conclusions on my part. Putting this statement in instead of changing the above so someone replying doesn't sound weird talking about something no longer there. I'd still appreciate any kind of response from Nordic, but most of my speculation is wildly off from that mental transposition.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by PaladinWay
micktiegs_8: Annoying to say the least... I'll hold my tongue though.
Pangaea666: Seems to me the cheapasses are the people who jog on over to Steam to buy their DRM-filled filth because it's a little cheaper than here, and complain because GOG aren't d*ckheads that shaft their cusomters too (with DRM).
Those are not GOG supporters. they are customers who buy where its cheapest DRM or no DRM.
ReynardFox: Exactly why I was pissed at people for said backlash. It seems getting crap cheap is more important than DRM free at all.
Gnostic: Well, we need more of this kind of event to happen before people are more lenient of regional pricing.

I was hoping that they will release spellforce complete edition here now that steam and humble have them. With this I don't think it will ever happen. Sucks that I even give up on the humble sales to buy it here.
Same here. I've passed up Humble sales and Steam sales because I preferred having it on GoG.
LynetteC: Given Nordic's previous good relationship with GOG I can't help but wonder if their games being withdrawn is related to their contracts with other services rather than issues with the new pricing structure here?
SpellForce 3 is already gone and that was released along with GOG's announcement of stepping away from their fair regional pricing. Big brouhaha and a lot of surliness/anger from GOG customers. Some probably left and never came back. GOG changed their mind and made fair regional pricing one of their pillars again. My speculation is disappointing sales numbers and possibly more fallout from that.

EDIT: I'm dumb. I was mixing up SpellForce 3 & Age of Wonders 3 in my mind. Some faulty conclusions on my part. Putting this statement in instead of changing the above so someone replying doesn't sound weird talking about something no longer there.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by PaladinWay
PaladinWay: SpellForce 3 is already gone and that was released along with GOG's announcement of stepping away from their fair regional pricing. Big brouhaha and a lot of surliness/anger from GOG customers. Some probably left and never came back. GOG changed their mind and made fair regional pricing one of their pillars again. My speculation is disappointing sales numbers and possibly more fallout from that.
Spellforce 3? That game isn't even released yet. Are you sure you mean Spellforce?
WTF - There are quite a number of GREAT games beeing removed.

I demand statment!
Silver you just cant find anywhere else. as soon as its out of the catalouge, its vanished into time and space... (dramatic echo)

isnt there some room for retired old classics on the server HD?
Or is some greedy publishers renewing licenses on whatever is on tha list?
F4LL0UT: I tend to defend GOG most of the time but I must say, your post probably captures the situation pretty well. Considering what a mindfuck the pricing model is now I'm shocked that all other publishers are staying. The new pricing model is utter non-sense.
einexile: I couldn't resist the urge to post before reading the entire thread, but I have to say now that I know how convoluted and wooden-headed this setup actually is, I think I'm just going to cut my losses and wander off back to the dark side. Hopefully they'll send out an email when everyone responsible for this manic episode has been jettisoned from the decision making process.
Go back and read the posts where GOG was going to step away from fair regional pricing. They did it for new releases and were trying to offer local currencies for the different regional prices at the same time. Massive, massive anger on forums from that. Everyone responsible is a lot of their customers, and GOG listening to them.

Honestly, I think they could've done what they wanted and avoided the whole issue by taking a vote about it before announcing any changes. That way if the vote and forums about it were too negative they could've just left it well enough alone. However, chances are the results of that would've been a vote showing a large majority in favor of what they'd wanted to do and they could've pointed to that as being customer focused and said sorry to dissenters while still maintaining a good name. But, that's legal and marketing people for you (and everybody's got some), keep things confidential for negotiations and then make a big public deal to announce it and drum up excitement instead of trying to work with your customers.