It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
SentinelWolf: This thread says a lot of some of this community.
First you complained when they wanted to introduce the fair regional pricing, now that you now know that it means that you won't get all the games you want, you complain again.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I prefer how things are now.
Let'em go. They will be back.
Matruchus: O good can you people just not understand that this is not about regional pricing. Regional pricing is here since March and today even more games got regionally priced and nobody is making a fuss about it since everybody just understands that gog can't do anything else - could somebody read the Back to our Roots post finally and not spread misinformation about regional pricing.
I am sorry.
Clearly i am misinformed and replied to other misinformed posts.
Petrell: They're leaving because GOG did NOT adobt regional prices (1$=1€). GOG added regional currencies and ability to pay with them (so you avoid being charged for currency conversion).
undeadcow: That is NOT what G-Doc said here: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226
Actually G-Doc said excatly same thing as I did. They price their games in dollar and convert the dollar sum to Euros, Pound Sterlings, Australian Dollars, and Roubles depending on region. So 5.99$~4.49€.

However that's apparently not whole thruth :-/. According to this topic quite number of games have silently been regional priced (before it was just Witcher 2, AoW 3 and Original Sin I believe) but now all of the sudden quite few games have the 'fair price' package attached to them due to suddenly being regional priced. So it seems GOG will end up being regional priced store like all the others but pay the difference from it's own profits. :-(
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Petrell
amok: so, what it boils down to is that we can blame all those people who had that 'righteous outcry' against regional pricing for this?
tokisto: No. You are focusing on wrong actors. Blame the publishers, not GOG.
Stay strong GOG!
Not sure how strong gOg can stay if games and publishers start peeling off like this, but I guess that is the service you want..

I do not care that much, to be honest, as I have no problems buying my games elsewhere. Must just remember to be sure to back up my games from here if this trend continues.
TheScorpion.282: The regional price thing is absurd, unfair and should be punished... The GOG Community should be happy that GOG didn't jump into that greedy train.
GOG begs to differ and offers your plenty of regionally priced games to suite your taste in greed, absurdity, and unfairness... http://www.gog.com/forum/general/newly_regionalpriced_games

This is not about regional pricing, GOG is cool to at least refund store credit when there is a regional price difference (for now).
tokisto: No. You are focusing on wrong actors. Blame the publishers, not GOG.
Stay strong GOG!
amok: Not sure how strong gOg can stay if games and publishers start peeling off like this, but I guess that is the service you want..

I do not care that much, to be honest, as I have no problems buying my games elsewhere. Must just remember to be sure to back up my games from here if this trend continues.
They started from nothing and look what they reached today. So I firmly right they will stand and keep growing. Nordic is losing here today.
Note: Always keep backup in line with lastest upgrades. I have all of GOG titles stored accordingly. Everybody should do that, and this is one of the facilities that GOG offers that many others don´t.
011284mm: I am disappointed in the loss of games here, but I can only hope in the long run that this will have the consequence of forcing more publishers to bring their world wide prices closer together.
In the long run, publishers will simply flock to where the money is: STEAM.
GOG's (already marginal) "influence" will wane even further as the number of games being removed from its catalogue increases.
high rated
G-Doc: ...A game with $5.99 price tag - for example - will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 Pounds Sterling, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively...
undeadcow: Interestingly ALL titles just got more expensive for users with the exception of European (cheaper) and American (same) currencies.

Price increases/decreases according to the $5.99 currency equivilants posted by G-Doc:
-0.05 Euros (or 7 US cents) cheaper ($5.99 = 4.54 euros, current GOG euro price is 4.49);
+0.08 Pounds Sterling (or 12 US cents) more expensive ($5.99 = 3.61 pounds, current GOG pound price is 3.69)
+0.07 Austrailan Dollars (or 7 US center) more expensive ($5.99 = 6.42 australian dollars, current a.d. GOG standard is 6.49)
+ 2.47 roubles (or 8 US cents) more expensive ($5.99 = 216.53 roubles, current rouble GOG standard is 219)

Assuming developers/publishers wouldn't object to making MORE money on games; does that imply the "dealbreaker" is a slighty 0.05 euro reduction for titles in that currency? Also, higher priced titles would likely have a greater difference in price tiers.

This is NOT fair regional pricing because now ALL titles are different values in different regions (even if it is consistent and differences are considered minor). I don't understand why GOG can't keep prices strictly equivilant as units of currency allow (it seems the currency match could go down to 0.01 even if the price tier is an awkward 3.61 pounds).

Currency conversion rates per Google.
You cannot compare prices using conversion rates per Google and complain about a difference in order of several cents. First, this would be insane to expect an online retailer to keep up recalculating prices - it is financial companies' service. Second, it would totally complicate already complex contracts with publishers. And more importantly, this train of thoughts is also wrong from users' perspective, as these are not the prices that the user would buy dollars at, so even if it looks like dollars would come up cheaper by "Google's" inter-bank/market rate, somebody that owns a bank account in different currency would need to take the hit for currency conversion (some extra for either the bank, a credit card company, paypal or somebody else). And probably end up paying some extra cents. You know, like when you go to a currency exchange office, and you get two prices, for buying and selling, one always higher that "Google's", and the other lower... it is the same with online transactions across currencies - some intermediary makes a profit.

And that's a reason why the local prices can be advantageous for us customers. And as I understand, for non-"local" priced "exceptions", you can checkout in usd anyway. There's also a potential advantage of extra availability, but with so many payment options, I don't think it would hold valid ;)

The problem that Gog takes a stand against is much huger. Publishers try (and usually do) convert prices 1-to-1, e.g. your 50USD for a new release is 50euro for me; or at least totally unfairly (e.g. 150% of an us price in uk) - which is a lot more than your "unfair" market-price-error-order difference.

Now, as some games will remain "locally" priced (which usually means - among other things - more expensive in the eurozone), Gog already had to weight the benefit of making some games available against publishers' wishes. They decided that in some cases they are willing to refund users in a form of a store credit, rather than take games out. That is for their benefit (more games = more users), and for users, which get, well, the best treatment they currently can among digital game distribution platforms - a price as fair as possible, with only a slightly painful "hook" of a store-specific credit.

For some reason, they were unable to settle with Nordic - perhaps they opposed Fair Price Package, perhaps their price differences were too high, perhaps their share demands grew unacceptable, or they wanted some content restrictions - something, that Gog found either unprofitable or against their principles. Again - if it was about price, it wouldn't be about be about 5 cents cheaper on gog in euro, it would be about (say) 30% cheaper in euro on gog that the publisher wanted.

Perhaps gog could avoid introducing local prices while avoiding local currencies at all? Honestly I don't know - other than the user experience, availability and a potential error-like pricing advantage as outlined above, there are various concerns related to international law, accounting, taxes and publisher contracts. ;) And probably more. I don't think it came up like a manager shouting "I've got an idea, let's allow users to pay in euros". It must be painful to make it happen.

And either way, they try to do this in a different, more consumer-friendly way that anyone else, and so far it turns out good. If anything, I'd wonder, why they allowed FPP at all... They still get my support and respect for everything.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by aidenvdh
Am I missing something here? How could this conceivably be about regional pricing, if Nordic Games has been releasing on GOG long before regional pricing was even discussed? I doubt they only just noticed what terms they've been licensing out their games under.
amok: Not sure how strong gOg can stay if games and publishers start peeling off like this, but I guess that is the service you want..

tokisto: They started from nothing and look what they reached today. So I firmly right they will stand and keep growing. Nordic is losing here today.
Note: Always keep backup in line with lastest upgrades. I have all of GOG titles stored accordingly. Everybody should do that, and this is one of the facilities that GOG offers that many others don´t.
umm.... gOg is a sister company from CD Project...did not start from nothing....
Anamon: Am I missing something here? How could this conceivably be about regional pricing, if Nordic Games has been releasing on GOG long before regional pricing was even discussed? I doubt they only just noticed what terms they've been licensing out their games under.
contracts always needs to be re-negotiated, they are time limited.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by amok
Anamon: Am I missing something here? How could this conceivably be about regional pricing, if Nordic Games has been releasing on GOG long before regional pricing was even discussed? I doubt they only just noticed what terms they've been licensing out their games under.
Exactly and all the fuss about regional pricing is just bullshit in Nordics case.
Games that you should have or want to buy before they are gone (IMO):

Gothic Series
Amnesia
Penumbra
Spellforce Platinum
The Guild gold edition
Painkiller Black
Red Faction 1 & 2
Silver (I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS LEAVING!!!)
Summoner
Darkfall 1&2
Aquanox 1&2
Freedom Force

I honestly would spend the money to get them before they are gone. I own most of them here.
You have 6 days... do it.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Minmataro
TheScorpion.282: As some user have pointed out, it's absurd that the community now complains about loosing games because of the fair price principle. As for me, the answer to this should be simple NOT TO BUY GAMES ANYWHERE ELSE (yes specially Steam and Origin).

The regional price thing is absurd, unfair and should be punished. I could sort of get it when it comes to physical products that need to be shipped and where there are a lot of intermediaries and government regulations on the way, but with digital content it just makes no bloody sense!. Charging more for a digital product depending of which country are you buying from is just a scam, as simple as that. The GOG Community should be happy that GOG didn't jump into that greedy train.
We should find a way to convince people to stop buying games on other companies, and I would be eager to support such campaign. Anyone has an idea that could make it work?
Pheace: From initial observations in the other thread it would appear Daedelic games are now regionally priced however, so if they did allow one publisher to have regional pricing on their old catalog, why is Nordic leaving then?
There is one (ugly) possibility, the regional difference Nordic wanted is greater than GOG 30% cut would cover. Simplified excample: Product costs 100$ in US and 200 in EU. GOG's cut is 60$ but in order to do fair pricing package they would have to give each EU customer 100$ back in store credit so it'd end up as 40$ loss per unit sold for GOG.

Maybe someone should check how they're priced elsewhere...
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Petrell
Petrell: There is one (ugly) possibility, the regional difference Nordic wanted is greater than GOG 30% cut would cover. Simplified excample: Product costs 100$ in US and 200 in EU. GOG's cut is 60$ but in order to do fair pricing package they would have to give each EU customer 100$ back in store credit so it'd end up as 40$ loss per unit sold for GOG.

Maybe someone should check how they're priced elsewhere...
GOG's cut is 30% (+/-) of whatever they sell for, this should apply the same to Euro pricing so there's really no difference to GOG between games with regional pricing, it all comes down to the same thing. So I doubt that's the issue here.
I'd like to point out to people that Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and others all seem to have agreed with GOG's approach. Doesn't mean they'll adopt it, but it serves to show how fair regional pricing, by itself, can't really be a big obstacle or financial liability. Of course, tomorrow might bring worse, but for now GOG appears to be doing well by us and not to the detriment of publishers.