It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
RWarehall: Not Jack Keene 2. Oh my God! Does that mean no more Insomnia sales?
They will never be the same again.
Don't worry, at least we're getting a product no one asked for to take the sting out of losing 35 games from the catalogue, mostly classics.
Ok... I bit the bullent and purchased Jack Keane 2 at $7.49 because I don't like GOG's unfair currency conversion system and think Nordic might have a point if that's the issue; charging different prices in different currencies for ALL games is lame and seems unjustifiable.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by undeadcow
harv5: This is pure speculation, but maybe Nordic has a contract with some European distributor that states that they can't sell games in Europe for a lower price than what that other distributor charges?
yet i just makes no sense. Pulling a product from shop to increase its sales. rrrriiight. Economist logic at action again.
I for one would like drm free movies/tv shows.The ones they have suck though.
Ok, it is pretty obvious that Nordic is pulling out of GOG, but Penumbra and Amnesia?

why the fuck would frictional pull out?
Rusty_Gunn: ...
That's fine. I won't support this behavior because to me GOG is about preserving classics, not losing them. I guess I can't lie and say DRM-free was ever the #1 reason I came here, though I wouldn't want GOG to give that up.
ALH: I'm sorry if i missed something but i had extra gift copies of Torchlight and AW: American Nightmare.Both have vanshied from my Gift List.Anyone else have this problem?
ReynardFox: Crap. My Alan Wake giftcode is gone as well. :/
I am experiencing this too, I can't find my gift codes fro Torchlight and Magrunner, I hope it is something temporary.
jimbob0i0: G-Doc only Amnesia: Dark Decent is listed as being removed - is A Machine for Pigs still going to be here or was that missed out?
IAmSinistar: Looks like it is staying, but becoming regionally priced.
They are making more games regionally priced? I thought Jack Keane 2 leaving was the worst I had to deal with today.
KiNgBrAdLeY7: ...they are going to be sold or continue being sold, over there, on the cornerstore of that obese bastard!
lol. Are you talking about Steam, or Gabe Newell?
graspee: This is why regional pricing is so great. Publishers love it and will flock to gog.

Oh wait, no, two of them are already leaving over it.

Who does this help again?
They're leaving because GOG did NOT adobt regional prices (1$=1€). GOG added regional currencies and ability to pay with them (so you avoid being charged for currency conversion). Everyone still pays aproximately the same as everyone else.

If they had adopted regional prices people in EU/Eurozone countries, Japan, New Zeland and Australia would pay more than rest. UK, US and Canada (and regions that do not have their own prizing regions) would pay same as now and Russia, IVY countries and some other regions would pay less.
Sogi-Ya: Ok, it is pretty obvious that Nordic is pulling out of GOG, but Penumbra and Amnesia?

why the fuck would frictional pull out?
...because all euro sales are now at least 7 cents less expensive than the agreed upon selling price due to GOG's lame currency tiers not being equivilant (currency equivilant to $5.92 in pounds for $5.99 USD game). Over all these games over time that 7 cents per $5.99 sale (more in most cases) could add up to a bit.

Also, all other currencies now have to pay relatively more for all GOG titles.
Petrell: They're leaving because GOG did NOT adobt regional prices (1$=1€). GOG added regional currencies and ability to pay with them (so you avoid being charged for currency conversion).
That is NOT what G-Doc said here: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226
Post edited August 27, 2014 by undeadcow
high rated
IronArcturus: What's going on? Why is GOG losing so many games? :(
G-Doc: The original news post is not that detailed, so I suppose some further explanation is needed. Our aim was to give you - as always - best possible DRM-Free digital distribution platform, focused on the people who use it. We believe in freedom of choice and fair treatment for all. For that reason, as we're introducing local currency payments, we're following the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, in other words, that 1:1 currency exchange rate for digital goods prices make absolutely no sense and are not fair to the buyers.

For that reason, along with the local currency payment option, we're starting to use our own pricing scheme that brings the value of non-US Dollar prices as close to their actual equivalents as we can help it. A game with $5.99 price tag - for example - will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 Pounds Sterling, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively.

Now, this is not your standard approach to pricing - just like our DRM-Free policy is not a standard approach to digital goods ownership. We did our best - and so did all of our partners, to keep all of the games in our catalog and offer them in the pricing scheme we've figured out, that we think is fair to all of you guys. Unfortunately, some of our developer and publisher friends had other obligations that made it impossible to reach a common ground. So, despite our combined efforts, the only sensible thing left to do, was to withdraw the problematic titles from our offer for the time being.

We know this is quite a radical step, and we're sorry if this causes you any concern. We do hope, that we'll figure this out in the future and will be able to re-introduce all these games to the GOG.com offer. There's definitely the will to do that on both ours, and our partners' side. For the time being, they've been kind enough to offer you a last chance to get the games we're removing from sales with a nice discount, so they can remain in your collections regardless of their future fate on GOG.com.

I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
I joined GOG for the DRM-free, so I could truly own everything I bought. I don't care what I pay, as long as I'm paying the hard working people at GOG and publishers/developers who put these games on your digital shelves legally. You sell at what you need to sell at and just change the pricing of games as you strike agreements. Straight out removing the games is a huge, huge hit to your selection, and it doesn't leave a good feeling.

I'd rather pay a high price than no price.

Just bring them back sooner than later. This is very heart breaking news and it weigh's heavy on GOG's selection of titles, as they are losing one of their best current partners, Nordic, among some others, and you already lost the Fallouts last winter. Many of these games JUST got here, and others are GOG staples. And I really hope that the makers of Amnesia, and their next horror game coming out in 2015, makes it here.

I do NOT want to join steam or any other platform to play games I've wanted for years. I'd rather buy them here.

Don't become so wrapped up with keeping everything a certain way that it's not realistic. But also remember that there are many of us who will pay anything for our games, regardless of price point, as long as it's legit.

Work for fair bit by bit, but don't make it the ultimatum.
will all games be removed from the current promo?
apehater: will all games be removed from the current promo?
Yes