It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
high rated
IronArcturus: What's going on? Why is GOG losing so many games? :(
The original news post is not that detailed, so I suppose some further explanation is needed. Our aim was to give you - as always - best possible DRM-Free digital distribution platform, focused on the people who use it. We believe in freedom of choice and fair treatment for all. For that reason, as we're introducing local currency payments, we're following the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, in other words, that 1:1 currency exchange rate for digital goods prices make absolutely no sense and are not fair to the buyers.

For that reason, along with the local currency payment option, we're starting to use our own pricing scheme that brings the value of non-US Dollar prices as close to their actual equivalents as we can help it. A game with $5.99 price tag - for example - will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 Pounds Sterling, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively.

Now, this is not your standard approach to pricing - just like our DRM-Free policy is not a standard approach to digital goods ownership. We did our best - and so did all of our partners, to keep all of the games in our catalog and offer them in the pricing scheme we've figured out, that we think is fair to all of you guys. Unfortunately, some of our developer and publisher friends had other obligations that made it impossible to reach a common ground. So, despite our combined efforts, the only sensible thing left to do, was to withdraw the problematic titles from our offer for the time being.

We know this is quite a radical step, and we're sorry if this causes you any concern. We do hope, that we'll figure this out in the future and will be able to re-introduce all these games to the GOG.com offer. There's definitely the will to do that on both ours, and our partners' side. For the time being, they've been kind enough to offer you a last chance to get the games we're removing from sales with a nice discount, so they can remain in your collections regardless of their future fate on GOG.com.

I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
low rated
BadDecissions: Like, a lot of people are blaming Nordic, but since Nordic was perfectly willing to sell their games at a single flat, world-wide price until GOG started flailing wildly with its pricing policies ("One world-wide price! More then one world-wide price! One world-wide price except when there isn't! Multiple world-wide prices, but we'll refund the difference! Uh ... one world-wide price, sometimes, and you can pay with your local currency, at a fair exchange rate, except when we can't offer a fair exchange rate? Somebody please help us, we have no idea what we're dooooooing!"), I'm going to assume this is basically GOG's fault.
Gog and the stupid people who complained about it.now they still don't have one world one price and people who wanted more games get no new games and old ones taken away...
Thanks to G-Doc for explaining more clearly!

I'm really hopeful this can be resolved and the idea of re-introducing these games isn't just wishful thinking. It's hard to imagine the slim difference in pricing between exchange rates would casscade to such a landslide of games being removed. Nordic seemed like a really cool partner.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by undeadcow
BadDecissions: Like, a lot of people are blaming Nordic, but since Nordic was perfectly willing to sell their games at a single flat, world-wide price until GOG started flailing wildly with its pricing policies ("One world-wide price! More then one world-wide price! One world-wide price except when there isn't! Multiple world-wide prices, but we'll refund the difference! Uh ... one world-wide price, sometimes, and you can pay with your local currency, at a fair exchange rate, except when we can't offer a fair exchange rate? Somebody please help us, we have no idea what we're dooooooing!"), I'm going to assume this is basically GOG's fault.
Lmao! Needed that laugh. Thank you.
G-Doc: I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
Thanks Doctor Groovy, it certainly helps. Naturally I am curious as to the obviously non-disclosable details, but do hope that something will be worked out eventually.
G-Doc:
Thanks for the explanation. It's a pity we can't know the details of those other obligations, but I expect that's not GOG's fault. I hope we'll see the games return sooner rather than later.
Does this mean that we will never see Black Mirror 3 here in GOG to complete the series? Part 1 and 2 wasn't released long ago. Now they'll be removed?
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Silverhawk170485
It doesn't lessen the blow, but thanks for posting G-Doc.
Gog, all of those movies are awful, awful things. I understand sometimes needing to have terrible games to complete series (Ultima 9 for example), or because of crippling bad nostalgia (Bloodnet, a game that between unimplimented mechanics and terrible terrible coding is only technically completeable). These movies however are even worse. Just stop whatever fever dream convinced you anyone here wanted these terrible turds, pull down all the dress and marquees chalk up all he money spent as sunk cost and lie like mad about having ever tried to sell video game related movies. Seriously video game related movies, of which there are two awful genres. Licensed terrible pap, and awful documentaries about Billy Mitchell and Nolan Bushnel.
G-Doc: <snip>

I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
Thank you for the explanation.
high rated
pacciulli: This.
virusn: If there's something GOG needs it's MORE GAMES, not less.
Someone really fucked up here.
If they have to screw us customers over with regional pricing (AKA a massive "fuck you" to any responsible customer) to get more games, they're better off with fewer games. If they charge me more for digital goods because I happen to live in a specific place, they can fuck right off. I've already abandoned other stores for doing that. GOG's already on shaky ground now that they charge more for certain titles and keep the extra as store credit. I was going to buy Divinity: Original Sin, but then I saw that whoever's publishing it thinks that 1 USD equals 1 Euro, so I won't be buying that until they fix it.

If they have to make their store worse in order to appeal to a wider audience, they shouldn't be supported. Nor should we support terrible publishers that do this regional pricing BS.
G-Doc: We know this is quite a radical step, and we're sorry if this causes you any concern. We do hope, that we'll figure this out in the future and will be able to re-introduce all these games to the GOG.com offer. There's definitely the will to do that on both us, and our partners' side. For the time being, they've been kind enough to offer you a last chance to get the games we're removing from sales with a nice discount, so they can remain in your collections regardless of their future fate on GOG.com.

That's all I needed to hear!
Thanks for clearing things up.
high rated
I don't blame GOG.com for this. They tried to avoid situations like this with the regional pricing plans that ended up being scrapped due to the backlash. Either route they take, they'd have to make compromises somewhere, and these certainly must be difficult decisions to make.

I hope this doesn't turn into a trend. :/
Back to the games that are being withdrawn!

What are your Must-Haves?
What are your Mehs?
What are your Huh, at that price...?

Lists! :)
G-Doc: snip
Thanks G-Doc for the details. +1

Still sad that the King of Insomnia is leaving.... :(