It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Grargar: The Book of Unwritten Tales games, along with The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief, won't be removed from the catalog, which is why they are not part of the sale. Interestingly, they are now regionally-priced.
zaine-h: It's interesting that neither Frictional nor Nordic is fully pulling out. Of course, the only games left are the ones I wouldn't consider so they are as good as gone any. :/
I think they are only pulling out games, that GOG won't let them price regionally. GOG only allows for regional pricing on new games, not the ones that are several years old already.
eiii: Does GG also have a linux downloader or is it windows only?
The GG downloader is not the same as the GOG downloader. Each game that is available directly from GamersGate uses its own downloader and this is only the case with Windows games. Mac and Linux games can be downloaded directly from your account.
Grargar: The GG downloader is not the same as the GOG downloader. Each game that is available directly from GamersGate uses its own downloader and this is only the case with Windows games. Mac and Linux games can be downloaded directly from your account.
Well, I play windows games under linux too. I also have to download them under linux and I don't know if that works with a windows downloader and wine. So downloading the games over "normal" ways like a browser or with a linux downloader is essential for me. What about DotEmu and ShinyLoot, do they have browser downloads or a linux downloader? Are there more DRM free stores?
zaine-h: Is it me or did Penumbra and Amnesia switch publishers? I swear it was Nordic before.
Grargar: Just your idea. Ever since their release, the games have been self-published.
IIRC while most digital downloads are self-published, it gets a bit murky beyond there, THQ originally had retail publishing rights, and when they liquidated things got REALLY messy. On Amazon on instance, the physical version is published by ValuSoft and the digital version is published by Cosmi - and that's only in the U.S. and Amnesia (Penumbra is SouthPeak).
zaine-h: It's interesting that neither Frictional nor Nordic is fully pulling out. Of course, the only games left are the ones I wouldn't consider so they are as good as gone any. :/
xy2345: I think they are only pulling out games, that GOG won't let them price regionally. GOG only allows for regional pricing on new games, not the ones that are several years old already.
No GOG still allow regional pricing, but pay a fraction of it from their own pockets. And for some that they have to pay too much to be profitable, they have to withdraw from selling them. Then there is the issue of games sell cheaper here than elsewhere, but now that GOG show the local currency, the "discount" is no longer hidden and have to cater to other sellers as well

GOG Official Statement
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226

Nordic Official Statement
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post729

Frictional Official Statement
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-25970-post-305156.html#pid305156
One question guys. Say I buy a few giftcodes for games which will be removed shortly, when will they expire?
DrakoPensulo: One question guys. Say I buy a few giftcodes for games which will be removed shortly, when will they expire?
Gift codes you have paid for don't expire.
I would love to pick up spell force before its no longer offered. Though with hard drive crashes I hope titles can still be down loaded after the removal from the sales area.
corn69: I would love to pick up spell force before its no longer offered. Though with hard drive crashes I hope titles can still be down loaded after the removal from the sales area.
Games have been removed before, you can still download them. GoG even updates them occasionally when needed.
Well, we have been spending time on explaining the situation and even looking for culprits, now it is time to sugest solutions.
xy2345: I think they are only pulling out games, that GOG won't let them price regionally. GOG only allows for regional pricing on new games, not the ones that are several years old already.
Im actually wondering what happens with the original contracts between the publisher and GOG though?.
corn69: I would love to pick up spell force before its no longer offered. Though with hard drive crashes I hope titles can still be down loaded after the removal from the sales area.
Yes, you will still be able to download them.
All the Spellforce games should be good, but I'm undecided about Dotp because the reviews are terrible and its price is higher than others.
MetalPlateMage: IIRC while most digital downloads are self-published, it gets a bit murky beyond there, THQ originally had retail publishing rights, and when they liquidated things got REALLY messy. On Amazon on instance, the physical version is published by ValuSoft and the digital version is published by Cosmi - and that's only in the U.S. and Amnesia (Penumbra is SouthPeak).
Well, zaine-h was referring to the GOG version obviously, and there can be no doubt of its self-publishing, which is also the case for other digital distributors like Steam, Desura and GamersGate.
eiii: Well, I play windows games under linux too. I also have to download them under linux and I don't know if that works with a windows downloader and wine. So downloading the games over "normal" ways like a browser or with a linux downloader is essential for me. What about DotEmu and ShinyLoot, do they have browser downloads or a linux downloader? Are there more DRM free stores?
OK, let me try to explain a bit regarding GamersGate, because the term "downloader" can be confusing. When you choose to download a Windows version of a game on GamersGate, you don't automatically download the game from the site itself, but instead a special downloader that needs to be run and will start fetching the specific game's files by itself. When it's done, the downloader will automatically launch the game's setup and it's at this point where you need to use the infamous GamersGate workaround to backup the game. But, if the game in question has a Mac and/or Linux version, you can actually download it directly from GamersGate like you could download a file from every site.

As for DotEmu and ShinyLoot, they both have browser downloads and no downloader that I'm aware of. Keep in mind that while DotEmu is completely DRM-Free, ShinyLoot isn't, as it carries some Steam-only games and some other of its games have an online serial activation. Thankfully, each game on ShinyLoot does indicate its DRM on its product description.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by Grargar
MetalPlateMage: No workaround needed. When the GG downloader is done it'll give you the option of whether to clear the "temporary" files or not - the "temporary" files are the installer files, so just say no then and it stays. Look for a directory called "GamersGate temporary files" in the same directory as the GG downloader, and inside there will be directories consisting of numbers (unique to each game), and inside those directories are the installer files. Also, if you launch the GG downloader again with the installation files still present it won't re-download them.
Piranjade: *shrugs* Others are bothered by conversion charges that can occur if you don' pay in your own currency.
eiii: Yes, of course. But these are low (otherwise you should start to blame your bank for unfair pricing and not GOG!) and I rather pay the conversion charges than having this multi-currency mess now and lose games because of it.
I agree I posted a request on site features but it only has one vote.
Whew, I finally managed to get through this thread. A few things I noticed along the way:

iippo: yet i just makes no sense. Pulling a product from shop to increase its sales. rrrriiight. Economist logic at action again.
They're protecting their other markets. These markets are likely to be larger than GOG, in which case it would make economic sense to pull out. There's also a chance it will give them a better negotiating position with GOG in the future. They're playing the long term game. GOG are asking an awful lot of publishers here:

1. Risk an industry precedent of remove regional pricing from all older titles, and lose the nice padding being collected in various markets.

2. (Nordic example): Administrative headache. They probably tell their distributors "the minimum price is 20€ or $20 or £20" and it would be fixed for a quarter or a year. Suddenly this model is broken, and they need a whole new process / infrastructure for standardising all prices with exchange rates. This will take some time for them to figure out IF they even opted to do it. Currently there's no incentive for them to do this unless GOG is a major portion of their market, since all this hard work would only achieve reducing their revenue (see previous point).

3. Due to currency conversion, you'd end up with weird prices like £20.02 instead of £19.99, which has a psychological impact of selling less and making less profit overall.

4. (Frictional example): Suddenly having to pay VAT on a portion of their GOG sales. Once a site is processing payments in local currency, it's no longer an unregulated import; it's now creating local paper trails. VAT is designed to be added at checkout, but governments don't mind as long as it's paid. GOG are asking publishers to pay it.

tokisto: They started from nothing and look what they reached today. So I firmly right they will stand and keep growing. Nordic is losing here today.
The quality of past decisions isn't indicative of future decisions; otherwise successful companies would never fail through bad decisions, which we know isn't the case.

StingingVelvet: publishers should be able to charge what they want. You shouldn't tell them what to charge. Let the market decide how proper the price is. The consumer is in complete control in a capitalist system. If GOG users thing 6 Euro is too much then they won't buy, and Nordic will reconsider their pricing. Steam can charge a $ = Euro price because people accept it, don't care, and know it's the same price as in their local shop anyway.
I upvoted you for your insight, but I think it's a little idealistic or incomplete. First, there are no truly free markets in practise. Various forms of regulation are required, else bad things tend to happen. Innovation killing things like monopolies. Illegal things like price fixing. Some markets are simply ignored because they're either too small, or there's technical limitations like cross-border IP addressing. This post is proof the market does not always adapt.

Or for an alternative perspective: if it's a "free" market, then we should be able to vote with our wallets, right? But they are using regulation to prevent us shopping freely for the best price, artificially inflating prices in certain regions. Even though we're not wealthier over here, we still fork out U.S. price + 100% on a regular basis. Why? because of a precedent created in a local economy then artificially maintained in a global economy. Given wealth is very similar, and the only real difference between the two regions is precedent, would you point over here as proof the U.S. price precedent is too low? No, it's much more reasonable to say the industry over in the U.S. is healthy and profitable, therefore the prices are reasonable. "It's worth what people will pay" is open to a very wide margin of manipulation.

Davane: Things are not good on GOG.com - it seems they are losing more and more classic games, while shifting towards a more steam-based indie model.
Well, losing old games is obviously not good, but as they've almost tapped the stock of old games, they do need new games to sustain their growth as well as propagate their no DRM cause. See subheading "Why does GOG.com need to offer newer games at all?":
http://www.gog.com/news/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing

Gersen: What I wonder is: if Nordic was ok before with the old "same price in dollars for everybody", if it wouldn't be possible for GoG to continue selling those games in dollars only, it would still follow their "fair price" policy.
Upvotes, but you are assuming Nordic are still ok with it. Perhaps they were kind of unhappy with the $USD thing already and hoping to get more control in future. You also assume GOG is still ok with it, but they may not want to make this an option, opening the floodgates to more publishers and undermining their whole principled stance and PR/sales strategy.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by xlynx