It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
MetalPlateMage: No workaround needed. When the GG downloader is done it'll give you the option of whether to clear the "temporary" files or not - the "temporary" files are the installer files, so just say no then and it stays. Look for a directory called "GamersGate temporary files" in the same directory as the GG downloader, and inside there will be directories consisting of numbers (unique to each game), and inside those directories are the installer files. Also, if you launch the GG downloader again with the installation files still present it won't re-download them.

The only thing "DRM-ish," if one wants to go that far, is that initially the GG downloader needs to look up your account info for the proper URL(s) to download from. Personally, I don't see that as a form of DRM, but clearly there are some who disagree, and that's fine :).

Anyway, it may seem weird but the GG downloaders and other downloaders do this because user feedback, polling, and focus testing shows that most people just want the convenience of having the games installed and the installers gone. It isn't like they are deliberately trying to hide the installers from you.

As for the "encrypted installer" - some GG downloads come with a custom installer that needs to be run through the downloader app, though you should be able to install the game just fine without it as there are generally just generic installers instead.
Grargar: Workarounds are necessary alright. If you just choose to keep the temporary files, the setup.exe will then be encrypted by becoming a useless "launch" file without any extension. It only turns back into setup.exe when you run the downloader (which, obviously, requires an internet connection). This can be prevented by copying the temporary files elsewhere while the setup is running.
Ahh yes, had a brain fart about that. More recent games should include an additional generic installer (usually .msi for windows) for that reason. It's also a problem for games without an actual installer. The amusing part is that if you contact support they suggest that very workaround - it's just a design flaw with the downloaders that they should really get around to fixing. I guess I can understand why some would get a little paranoid.
MetalPlateMage: Ahh yes, had a brain fart about that. More recent games should include an additional generic installer (usually .msi for windows) for that reason. It's also a problem for games without an actual installer. The amusing part is that if you contact support they suggest that very workaround - it's just a design flaw with the downloaders that they should really get around to fixing. I guess I can understand why some would get a little paranoid.
Funny thing is that you can download the Mac/Linux versions without using the downloader, but not the Windows ones. But even if they would provide .msi files, they would still be no good for games that have only one file (like Majesty Gold HD).
SeduceMePlz: ...
And we go back full circle on the fact that USA have lower prices than Belgium, for instance, WHILE having less taxes.

Of course you are fine with regional prices: you have the possibility to unfairly pay less than others.

*Facepalm*

The argumentory is not silly, just the people you're presenting it to...

Bah...

Back to paying those who don't want to unfairly treat me... and pirate the rest. It's really the only solution... :/
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Zoidberg
SeduceMePlz: ...
Zoidberg: And we go back full circle on the fact that USA have lower prices than Belgium, for instance, WHILE having less taxes.
The USA have better average living standards than Europe. But the difference in wealth between the richest and the others is such that the purchasing power of the modal US consumer in lower than that of the core EU consumer. Thus, for mass market products, such as games, the price equilibrium is set lower. If you're in this industry, it's much more important to have a good market penetration in the US than in Belgium or wathever decaying Eurozone economy.

Then with our countries confiscating up to 60% of wealth creation just to maintain huge adminstrations, political waste on a grand scale and excessive social benefits, you should expect taxes to percolate into anything and eveything. Why do we pay about 1€ for a bottle of water that costs 50cts in France or 35 cts in Poland ? Taxes of course. Any company that sells products in Belgium or in many EU countries will mark up its prices to compensate for the taxes they are going to pay ( or think they are going to pay ) and then add some because they can get away with it.
Zoidberg: And we go back full circle on the fact that USA have lower prices than Belgium, for instance, WHILE having less taxes.
Phc7006: The USA have better average living standards than Europe. But the difference in wealth between the richest and the others is such that the purchasing power of the modal US consumer in lower than that of the core EU consumer. Thus, for mass market products, such as games, the price equilibrium is set lower. If you're in this industry, it's much more important to have a good market penetration in the US than in Belgium or wathever decaying Eurozone economy.

Then with our countries confiscating up to 60% of wealth creation just to maintain huge adminstrations, political waste on a grand scale and excessive social benefits, you should expect taxes to percolate into anything and eveything. Why do we pay about 1€ for a bottle of water that costs 50cts in France or 35 cts in Poland ? Taxes of course. Any company that sells products in Belgium or in many EU countries will mark up its prices to compensate for the taxes they are going to pay ( or think they are going to pay ) and then add some because they can get away with it.
Even with the poor administration of the taxes here (as there's poor administration in the US too, and anywhere), I'm relatively OK with the idea behind taxes. Without them, I'd probably be DEAD. So, yeah...

Anyway, I bet you're Flemish. :D
Magmarock: This is just beyond depressing. This means that any hope of an Aquanox 3 on GOG or Painkiller HD on GOG just went in the dumpster next to Bambie. 2014 has seen the biggest drop in GOG games ever.
Apparently they are already working on bringing Nordic Games back on boards:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226
so it might all still come here. :-)
IronArcturus: What's going on? Why is GOG losing so many games? :(
G-Doc: The original news post is not that detailed, so I suppose some further explanation is needed. Our aim was to give you - as always - best possible DRM-Free digital distribution platform, focused on the people who use it. We believe in freedom of choice and fair treatment for all. For that reason, as we're introducing local currency payments, we're following the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, in other words, that 1:1 currency exchange rate for digital goods prices make absolutely no sense and are not fair to the buyers.

For that reason, along with the local currency payment option, we're starting to use our own pricing scheme that brings the value of non-US Dollar prices as close to their actual equivalents as we can help it. A game with $5.99 price tag - for example - will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 Pounds Sterling, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively.

Now, this is not your standard approach to pricing - just like our DRM-Free policy is not a standard approach to digital goods ownership. We did our best - and so did all of our partners, to keep all of the games in our catalog and offer them in the pricing scheme we've figured out, that we think is fair to all of you guys. Unfortunately, some of our developer and publisher friends had other obligations that made it impossible to reach a common ground. So, despite our combined efforts, the only sensible thing left to do, was to withdraw the problematic titles from our offer for the time being.

We know this is quite a radical step, and we're sorry if this causes you any concern. We do hope, that we'll figure this out in the future and will be able to re-introduce all these games to the GOG.com offer. There's definitely the will to do that on both ours, and our partners' side. For the time being, they've been kind enough to offer you a last chance to get the games we're removing from sales with a nice discount, so they can remain in your collections regardless of their future fate on GOG.com.

I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
Honestly is using your own pricing system really necessary. How about just using USD for everything. A game that costs $20 USD for everyone around the globe seems fair and simple. I'm not bothered that it's not in my currency. What does bother me is paying more because of where I live and losing so many awesome games.
Magmarock: This is just beyond depressing. This means that any hope of an Aquanox 3 on GOG or Painkiller HD on GOG just went in the dumpster next to Bambie. 2014 has seen the biggest drop in GOG games ever.
Piranjade: Apparently they are already working on bringing Nordic Games back on boards:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226
so it might all still come here. :-)
Yeah I saw that but I'm not convinced that will stop the drop. Most games that get taken off the catalog don't return. Also it might remain on your library but it won't get patched or updated; it might not continue to work after Windows 9 or something.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Magmarock
Magmarock: Honestly is using your own pricing system really necessary. How about just using USD for everything. A game that costs $20 USD for everyone around the globe seems fair and simple. I'm not bothered that it's not in my currency. What does bother me is paying more because of where I live and losing so many awesome games.
*shrugs* Others are bothered by conversion charges that can occur if you don' pay in your own currency.

Magmarock: Yeah I saw that but I'm not convinced that will stop the drop. Most games that get taken off the catalog don't return. Also it might remain on your library but it won't get patched or updated; it might not continue to work after Windows 9 or something.
I believe that the Nordic games will return.
Just wait and see. :-D
Magmarock: Honestly is using your own pricing system really necessary. How about just using USD for everything. A game that costs $20 USD for everyone around the globe seems fair and simple. I'm not bothered that it's not in my currency. What does bother me is paying more because of where I live and losing so many awesome games.
Piranjade: *shrugs* Others are bothered by conversion charges that can occur if you don' pay in your own currency.

Magmarock: Yeah I saw that but I'm not convinced that will stop the drop. Most games that get taken off the catalog don't return. Also it might remain on your library but it won't get patched or updated; it might not continue to work after Windows 9 or something.
Piranjade: I believe that the Nordic games will return.
Just wait and see. :-D
What about frictional I was jumping for joy when Amnesia and Penumbra arrived.
Come to think of it, there is something that's bugging me; if Nordic is removing those games to avoid upsetting their partners (because most of their games are available elsewhere), then why is Silver leaving? The game is not available for purchase anywhere else other than GOG.
Grargar: Come to think of it, there is something that's bugging me; if Nordic is removing those games to avoid upsetting their partners (because most of their games are available elsewhere), then why is Silver leaving? The game is not available for purchase anywhere else other than GOG.
Cause they are actually pulling out of gog and moving to Steam permanently and all of this is just an excuse to appease gog community maybe?
Grargar: Come to think of it, there is something that's bugging me; if Nordic is removing those games to avoid upsetting their partners (because most of their games are available elsewhere), then why is Silver leaving? The game is not available for purchase anywhere else other than GOG.
for me their explanations sounds pretty lame and i dont belive them, eighter nordics or frictionals.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by apehater
Matruchus: Cause they are actually pulling out of gog and moving to Steam permanently and all of this is just an excuse to appease gog community maybe?
Then they would also pull their catalog from all other places (DotEmu, GamersGate and ShinyLoot), so I would say no to the Steam scenario.
Grargar: Then they would also pull their catalog from all other places (DotEmu, GamersGate and ShinyLoot), so I would say no to the Steam scenario.
Yes but those stores that you are talking about are more or less drm stores even DotEmu has drm on some games.
I'm really saddened to see so many games leave the website and really hope Gog and all the parties involved will be able to work something out to bring them back to Gog.

And while I respect and understand Nordic's reasoning for pulling most of their games here, I am more than a bit annoyed that Black Mirror 1 & 2 were recently brought to Gog, but not part 3 (as I understand , it was planned, but then this local currency thing happened, apparently too sudden to work something out), leaving me now with an incomplete game series here on Gog, hate when that happens! Lesson learned I guess, only buy a classic game series when all chapters/parts/episodes are out and available in one and same game store.