It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Klumpen0815: Oh dear, the worst that could happen besides DRM and regional pricing would be more censoring of games here.
In Germany most games are so horribly censored, that pirating or buying from GoG is the only alternative in most cases if you don't want to play it like intended.

I don't want green blood, removed ragdoll physics, removed children (Fallout...) etc...
Having to inform myself about which retail game is only a steamkey with a disc made me stop buying retail, do I have to inform myself here now about which game is regional priced and which one is censored?
Do Americans see the bordello sequence in Gothic 2 (at the harbour) and the explicit scenes in the Witcher series?
I thought adding a bra to Giants was everything, but maybe there's more to come.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Do Americans see the bordello sequence in Gothic 2 (at the harbour) and the explicit scenes in the Witcher series?
I thought adding a bra to Giants was everything, but maybe there's more to come?
The Witcher is completely uncensored everywhere.
Klumpen0815: Do Americans see the bordello sequence in Gothic 2 (at the harbour) and the explicit scenes in the Witcher series?
I thought adding a bra to Giants was everything, but maybe there's more to come?
Grargar: The Witcher is completely uncensored everywhere.
Not really true since it has a PEGI rating of 18+. So you need to be older then 18 to buy and play that game in some countries that use PEGI rating - I wonder how gog is going to implement the age restrictions then?

Or are these PEGI ratings just meant as a help when buying?
Matruchus: Not really true since it has a PEGI rating of 18+. So you need to be older then 18 to buy and play that game in some countries that use PEGI rating - I wonder how gog is going to implement the age restrictions then?

Or are these PEGI ratings just meant as a help when buying?
Yes really. The content is unchanged. Maybe, you might not be able to purchase it if you have set age less than 18, but this has nothing to do with the content of the game, which is unchanged.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Grargar
Grargar: Yes really. The content is unchanged. Maybe, you might not be able to purchase it if you have set age less than 18, but this has nothing to do with the content of the game, which is unchanged.
Yes but age restrictions fall under regional locking and that is a fact. I have nothing against that since our country does not use them and has no age restrictions but a lot of people will be disadvantaged by that in other country's. Well let's wait and see what happens. With all the changes happening here I would not be surprised if they implement the above type of regional locking.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Yes but age restrictions fall under regional locking and that is a fact. I have nothing against that since our country does not use them and has no age restrictions but a lot of people will be disadvantaged by that in other country's. Well let's wait and see what happens. With all the bad things happening here I would not be surprised if they implement the above type of regional locking.
Age restrictions have nothing to do with regional locking. Otherwise, GOG would have regional locking long before the regional pricing was introduced. (Yes, if you set your age to less than 18 on your settings, it would become impossible to buy some games like Phantasmagoria, regardless of your location).
Grargar: Age restrictions have nothing to do with regional locking. Otherwise, GOG would have regional locking long before the regional pricing was introduced. (Yes, if you set your age to less than 18 on your settings, it would become impossible to buy some games like Phantasmagoria, regardless of your location).
Ok so we will just call it Age restrictions - the problem is these restrictions can not be set in to effect without us giving gog more personal data - not just date of birth which I can make up if I wan't to be older and play games but also data where I live, phone number and such stuff that they can legally confirm that I can buy that game in that particular EU country. Personally I was wondering for a long time why they did not demand that data since everybody else does to fullfill legal obligations.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Ok so we will just call it Age restrictions - the problem is these restrictions can not be set in to effect without us giving gog more personal data - not just date of birth which I can make up if I wan't to be older and play games but also data where I live, phone number and such stuff that they can legally confirm that I can buy that game in that particular EU country. Personally I was wondering for a long time why they did not demand that data since everybody else does to fullfill legal obligations.
It's the same thing as when a violent/gory video demands your age before you can watch it; it's for the company that released the video to legally cover their tracks. Yes, the watcher can lie, but then the responsibility falls on them, rather than the company.
Grargar: Yes, the watcher can lie, but then the responsibility falls on them, rather than the company.
Exactly.
Thank you SeduceMePlz for the Black Mirror series .
LeonardoCornejo: Yes, I am contemplating to make a GamersGate account too, but first I must find out which games are DRM free there.
timppu: Like someone said, GamersGate lists them as DRM-free.

However, take into account that you have to perform a certain workaround when downloading the GamersGate installer, in order to receive a fully DRM-free installer. It appears GamersGate's idea of "DRM-free" is that you only need to authenticate the game whenever you (re-)install it, but not when you play the game. That's still DRM though, if you have to authenticate it at all after the initial download (ie. after receiving the game). An installer that needs to go online and contact the GG servers is not really DRM-free.

I guess the instructions for the workaround are somewhere, basically it was something about letting the GG downloader client download the game, but before you click on the finish button on that downloader, you must manually copy the downloaded temporary files to somewhere else. Those copied temporary files are then your fully DRM-free installer that you don't need to authenticate anymore, and can freely reinstall offline to your heart's content.

If you click on finish without making a copy of the temporary files, then apparently you get an encrypted installer that needs to be authenticated whenever you want to install the game, if I recall right.

If I got it wrong, someone will surely correct me, but that's how I recall it. I've downloaded my other GamersGate games before to local repository, like Alpha Protocol (which is also marked as DRM-free there).
No workaround needed. When the GG downloader is done it'll give you the option of whether to clear the "temporary" files or not - the "temporary" files are the installer files, so just say no then and it stays. Look for a directory called "GamersGate temporary files" in the same directory as the GG downloader, and inside there will be directories consisting of numbers (unique to each game), and inside those directories are the installer files. Also, if you launch the GG downloader again with the installation files still present it won't re-download them.

The only thing "DRM-ish," if one wants to go that far, is that initially the GG downloader needs to look up your account info for the proper URL(s) to download from. Personally, I don't see that as a form of DRM, but clearly there are some who disagree, and that's fine :).

Anyway, it may seem weird but the GG downloaders and other downloaders do this because user feedback, polling, and focus testing shows that most people just want the convenience of having the games installed and the installers gone. It isn't like they are deliberately trying to hide the installers from you.

As for the "encrypted installer" - some GG downloads come with a custom installer that needs to be run through the downloader app, though you should be able to install the game just fine without it as there are generally just generic installers instead.
MetalPlateMage: No workaround needed. When the GG downloader is done it'll give you the option of whether to clear the "temporary" files or not - the "temporary" files are the installer files, so just say no then and it stays. Look for a directory called "GamersGate temporary files" in the same directory as the GG downloader, and inside there will be directories consisting of numbers (unique to each game), and inside those directories are the installer files. Also, if you launch the GG downloader again with the installation files still present it won't re-download them.

The only thing "DRM-ish," if one wants to go that far, is that initially the GG downloader needs to look up your account info for the proper URL(s) to download from. Personally, I don't see that as a form of DRM, but clearly there are some who disagree, and that's fine :).

Anyway, it may seem weird but the GG downloaders and other downloaders do this because user feedback, polling, and focus testing shows that most people just want the convenience of having the games installed and the installers gone. It isn't like they are deliberately trying to hide the installers from you.

As for the "encrypted installer" - some GG downloads come with a custom installer that needs to be run through the downloader app, though you should be able to install the game just fine without it as there are generally just generic installers instead.
Workarounds are necessary alright. If you just choose to keep the temporary files, the setup.exe will then be encrypted by becoming a useless "launch" file without any extension. It only turns back into setup.exe when you run the downloader (which, obviously, requires an internet connection). This can be prevented by copying the temporary files elsewhere while the setup is running.
This is just beyond depressing. This means that any hope of an Aquanox 3 on GOG or Painkiller HD on GOG just went in the dumpster next to Bambie. 2014 has seen the biggest drop in GOG games ever.
Magmarock: This is just beyond depressing. This means that any hope of an Aquanox 3 on GOG or Painkiller HD on GOG just went in the dumpster next to Bambie. 2014 has seen the biggest drop in GOG games ever.
Both are new games, so that's not necessarily the case. There are still 3 Nordic games that will remain in the catalog, albeit with regional pricing.
Magmarock: This is just beyond depressing. This means that any hope of an Aquanox 3 on GOG or Painkiller HD on GOG just went in the dumpster next to Bambie. 2014 has seen the biggest drop in GOG games ever.
Not true at all. They can be released on GoG because being newer games, they can be regionally priced. Just look at the list of newly regionally priced games and you will see remasters on that list. Remasters apparently are not classics.
Grargar: Both are new games, so that's not necessarily the case. There are still 3 Nordic games that will remain in the catalog, albeit with regional pricing.
Grargar is too quick for me. Ninja'd again...
Post edited August 31, 2014 by RWarehall