It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Pretty sure the Freedom Force rights have been split. They're published by 2K Games on Steam. Perhaps Focus just lost the rights fully now.
JKHSawyer: Pretty sure the Freedom Force rights have been split. They're published by 2K Games on Steam. Perhaps Focus just lost the rights fully now.
Maybe, maybe not. The games are still published by Focus Home Interactive on GamersGate. It would be an interesting "coincidence" if they were removed tomorrow from there too.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Grargar
LeonardoCornejo: We only need an explanation from irrational, but since they never released the first Freedom Force game on GOG, it might be unrelated to Nordic's and Frictional's motives. If they have no reason they would honor their namesake.
Grargar: Irrational has nothing to do with the games any more (they are the developer, not the publisher) and even if they did, it doesn't matter, as they have shut down. The one responsible for this is Focus Home Interactive, the publisher for the Freedom Force games.
Well, that just killed my joke.
Magmarock: What the fuck.

With all the big changes going on I missed but why are so many games getting taken down. I think we deserve an answer for this. I really like the Amnesia games. Is this GOG's doing or is this the companies giving gog the figure or something.
Wurzelkraft: We have official statements from , [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post729]Nordic and Frictional. :)
So, if I read the statement from Frictional right, the worst has been confirmed. GOG lost 35 games and made 23 other games regionally priced in exchange for the ability to charge people in their local currency. That's unbelievably crazy.

In the light of this, I'm starting to think that the new glitchy site and the shameful logo are just a diversion, to make us less concentrated on the main issues. And, as people have already suggested, this is a scheme to slowly dilute the resistance to regional prices :(
Wurzelkraft: We have official statements from , [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post729]Nordic and Frictional. :)
Artoemius: So, if I read the statement from Frictional right, the worst has been confirmed. GOG lost 35 games and made 23 other games regionally priced in exchange for the ability to charge people in their local currency. That's unbelievably crazy.

In the light of this, I'm starting to think that the new glitchy site and the shameful logo are just a diversion, to make us less concentrated on the main issues. And, as people have already suggested, this is a scheme to slowly dilute the resistance to regional prices :(
Methods like those are really dark stuff and quite common with governments and big companies, I really hope GoG didn't sink this low, but to be honest, I'm not so sure anymore.
Artoemius: So, if I read the statement from Frictional right, the worst has been confirmed. GOG lost 35 games and made 23 other games regionally priced in exchange for the ability to charge people in their local currency. That's unbelievably crazy.

Yes and this seems to be working slowly since people don't use their heads and just see one thing that regional pricing will supposedly bring more drm-free games here. I don't believe that and its a step also on the drm side since regional pricings is a kind of drm feature since it disadvantages a big amount of customers from being able to buy games and that amount disadvanatged people is a lot bigger then the disadvantage amount coming from gog's fair pricing policy. Regional pricing (which always comes with regional locking) is drm in its purest form really although its the only form of drm that is not perceived as such which is sad.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Matruchus
Klumpen0815: Methods like those are really dark stuff and quite common with governments and big companies, I really hope GoG didn't sink this low, but to be honest, I'm not so sure anymore.
I hope I'm wrong too. It's just there seems to be no other sane reason to ditch 35 games in exchange for local currencies, which very few people really need.
Matruchus: Yes and this seems to be working slowly since people don't use their heads and just see one thing that regional pricing will supposedly bring more drm-free games here. I don't believe that and its a step also on the drm side since regional pricings is a kind of drm feature since it disadvantages a big amount of customers from being able to buy games and that amount disadvanatged people is a lot bigger then the disadvantage amount coming from gog's fair pricing policy. Regional pricing is drm in its purest form really although its the only form of drm that is not perceived as such which is sad.
I would start calling it DRM the moment that regional pricing becomes regional locking. Otherwise, not really.
Grargar: I would start calling it DRM the moment that regional pricing becomes regional locking. Otherwise, not really.
I think I wrote that in the post that regional pricing always come with regional locking but you were too fast posting :) and the new PEGI sign on gog's game description page makes me wonder about that really.
Matruchus: I think I wrote that in the post that regional pricing always come with regional locking but you were too fast posting :) and the new PEGI sign on gog's game description page makes me wonder about that really.
The PEGI sign is not available for all games (funnily enough, the Phantasmagoria games are one such example).
Matruchus: I think I wrote that in the post that regional pricing always come with regional locking but you were too fast posting :) and the new PEGI sign on gog's game description page makes me wonder about that really.
Grargar: The PEGI sign is not available for all games (humorously enough, the Phantasmagoria games are one such example).
I know that which means that there is some type of regional locking on those games. Otherweise there is no need for that sign there.
LeonardoCornejo: Yes, I am contemplating to make a GamersGate account too, but first I must find out which games are DRM free there.
Like someone said, GamersGate lists them as DRM-free.

However, take into account that you have to perform a certain workaround when downloading the GamersGate installer, in order to receive a fully DRM-free installer. It appears GamersGate's idea of "DRM-free" is that you only need to authenticate the game whenever you (re-)install it, but not when you play the game. That's still DRM though, if you have to authenticate it at all after the initial download (ie. after receiving the game). An installer that needs to go online and contact the GG servers is not really DRM-free.

I guess the instructions for the workaround are somewhere, basically it was something about letting the GG downloader client download the game, but before you click on the finish button on that downloader, you must manually copy the downloaded temporary files to somewhere else. Those copied temporary files are then your fully DRM-free installer that you don't need to authenticate anymore, and can freely reinstall offline to your heart's content.

If you click on finish without making a copy of the temporary files, then apparently you get an encrypted installer that needs to be authenticated whenever you want to install the game, if I recall right.

If I got it wrong, someone will surely correct me, but that's how I recall it. I've downloaded my other GamersGate games before to local repository, like Alpha Protocol (which is also marked as DRM-free there).
Post edited August 31, 2014 by timppu
Grargar: I would start calling it DRM the moment that regional pricing becomes regional locking. Otherwise, not really.
PEGI sign? Where?

Oh dear, the worst that could happen besides DRM and regional pricing would be more censoring of games here.
In Germany most games are so horribly censored, that pirating or buying from GoG is the only alternative in many cases if you want to play it like intended.

I don't want green blood, removed ragdoll physics, removed children (Fallout...) etc...
Having to inform myself about which retail game is only a steamkey with a disc made me stop buying retail, do I have to inform myself here now about which game is regional priced and which one is censored?
Post edited August 31, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Matruchus: I know that which means that there is some type of regional locking on those games. Otherweise there is no need for that sign there.
Or perhaps some kind of regional adjustment? If it doesn't prevent me from buying a game, I don't consider it regional locking.
Klumpen0815: PEGI sign? Where?
In specific games like, say, Gothic 2 or Planescape: Torment.
Klumpen0815: PEGI sign? Where?

Oh dear, the worst that could happen besides DRM and regional pricing would be more censoring of games here.
In Germany most games are so horribly censored, that pirating or buying from GoG is the only alternative in most cases if you don't want to play it like intended.

I don't want green blood, removed ragdoll physics, removed children (Fallout...) etc...
Having to inform myself about which retail game is only a steamkey with a disc made me stop buying retail, do I have to inform myself here now about which game is regional priced and which one is censored?
Here some games with PEGI signs:
http://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dragonshard
http://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition
http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_2
http://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2

If the games are changed in any way or a different version is offered for that particular region - that is regional locking then. I fear that with use of the PEGI signs the compliance with local eu country laws will come which means that some games will be censored.

PEGI rating is at the bottom of the webpage after the user ratings.