It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
ktchong: Over a year ago, maybe almost two years ago, when I mentioned in the Steam forums that I also shopped at GOG and actually preferred GOG (at that time, but obviously not anymore,) many Steam users (who mostly had disdain for GOG users) jestingly asked me if I was an "anti-DRM Knight Templar" or "DRM-freedom fighter aka terrorist", and if I was on one of my "crusades" and was going to "terrorize" them over DRM. I did not get their jokes at the time. Now I got it.
amund: It's great that you get their jokes but I think it would be awesome to be called "anti-DRM Knight Templar", sounds like a very honorable title.
I for instance prefer the title "Freedom supporting anti-DRM revolutionaire", it fits me well.
I always wondered how is it possible that many US citicens and companies support DRM considering how much Americans claim to value freedom, I admire how much you Americans value it and deffend it, but if you also support DRM then that means double standards, and that is disgusting. No one who actively supports DRM is realy in the side of freedom.
KeyperOS: Ok, I must say I was pretty pissed off when I first read it but now I must admit that I kinda understand that there is no clear-cut "bad guy" here and that this thing quite simply sucks all-around.

There are only so many "Good Old Games" to be revived and the truth of the matter is, GoG had already succeeded in doing that a year or so ago, now adding mostly obscure/less well-known titles that might not really stack up against the alpha-dogs of yore (unless they'd somehow magically succeed in getting the Lucas Arts catalog or the old Blizzard games which would be a happy day indeed).
It was clear that GoG needed to add regional pricing because (a) new and/or AAA games' publishers weren't gonna go for flat USD pricing and (b) a lot of non-US users were clamoring for it, however, when they tried, you had the other users clamoring about losing what they already had (which makes sense really).
So GoG finally decides to take the hit and pay out of their own pockets the regional pricing difference for those said new/AAA titles if it means getting newer titles which will allow them to grow further.
However, seeing as most of the time they are either the biggest or indeed the only ones selling the older games and with profit margins so much smaller, it would make sense that they wouldn't/couldn't afford to do the same with them as well.

For the most part the bigger publishers will look the other way because these games were dead weight that was not bringing them any money anyway but for those that are on many distribution platforms or for those publishers with very few games or mostly semi-old ones, these are their livelihoods and it might not make good business sense.

Now, the truth is, I still don't know how to feel. I do understand Frictional Games' point; with only a handful of games in their catalog, they couldn't afford angering their other distributors (and angering Steam to stay on GoG is just plain mad) but I must admit that I can't really use the same argument and justify Nordic Games for not being able to come into some kind of agreement with GoG, even on a per-game-basis.
I mean, first off, the GoG versions are the least problematic and not only because GoG actually put the time and effort to make it so but also because apparently, the Steam overlay doesn't play nice with many of the games' aging code.
Add to this that, even indirectly, many of their games wouldn't even make it to Steam at all if it weren't for GoG and their revival of old games plus now that they are there, I find it pretty hard to believe that Steam would force them to comply or ditch them altogether since they'd be removing a heck of a lot more than 35 games from their catalog.

I do believe that in their case it was simply a matter of not wanting to bother with GoG's business and the compromises that come with it since they can simply get more from Steam and easier which TBH makes good business sense but also makes them look pretty bad (and I mean, EA-bad) to the gamers which is basically a 180° turn from their previous image.

I have many (1/3?) of the games being removed and indeed most from the entire Nordic catalog (between GoG, Humble and Steam) but still the cost of buying the rest is pretty high for me plus, even if I can appreciate the business side of their decision, I still can't help but feel angered with that stance that I have half a mind to not wanting to give them my money (i.e. my business).

One thing is for sure, if I'm not buying them from here, I won't be buying them period.

(Wow, I didn't even realize the wall of text that I made :O )
I agree on most with you, specialy on the part of if I can't buy them on GOG I will not buy them anywhere else (That does not mean I won't be playing them, sorry Nordic, you clearly don't want my hard earned money)

But you are kind of wrong, there IS a clear-cut "bad guy", or I should rather say brutish monstrous videogame tyrant, here, and it is called Steam/Valve, they are the bullies of gaming industry, not even EA, with is bad reputation and long history of supporting dirty playing DRM has made as many dick moves toward GOG as Steam/Valve, and this ladies and mentlegen is their latest dick move, there is a good chance they bullied Nordic into doing this.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by LeonardoCornejo
DampSquib: *snip*
I didn't redeem anything this time but I have to say THANKS all over again. Your code drops are huge!
DampSquib: *snip*
Wurzelkraft: I didn't redeem anything this time but I have to say THANKS all over again. Your code drops are huge!
I never get the chance of redeeming his codes, however I admire the glorious generosity of such acts.
Attachments:
how about one of you create a thread about regional pricing? people will be coming to this thread about the games on this promo. and not have to read about the other crap.
KeyperOS: One thing is for sure, if I'm not buying them from here, I won't be buying them period.
Yup, if I can't buy games that interest me under conditions I agree with I simply won't buy and play them. A frequently asked question by folks who don't mind DRM and such is if I did not know how many games I'd miss through this. I do know. I know very, very well. It's a choice I made for myself at some point, and I have no problems living with it. I still have way more games than I have the time to play.

"Anti-DRM Knight Templar" certainly has a nice ring to it, but it's not like I'm fighting DRM. We won't get rid of it anymore. All we can do is to support the places that still allow us to purchase games without it. And should there come a time when there is no such place anymore there are still the games we own. And books. :)

edit:

Niggles is right, this is about the games. So, how good are the Black Mirror games? And especially, how good is the music? I'm kind of collecting games simply for their atmospheric soundtracks.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by TheRealJayDee
torp: snip
LeonardoCornejo: snip
Gnostic: There is no such thing as fair pricing, because I look at the mirror and it says so.

If I do the same work as my colleague and contribute the same or less than my colleague, but get paid higher I don't go to my boss and says "Please lower my pay because I am paid more than I should".

If I contribute more and get paid less then my colleague I will be unhappy about it. Even if I contribute less and get paid less, I will also be unhappy about it.

If I join a new company and get paid more, I don't go "Please lower my pay because other company (Region) paid less to me. I have to be fair." If I am paid less in my new company, I will be unhappy and find ways to increase my pay or try another company.

If I cannot hold the same fair standard to myself, how I expect others to do the same? The market force, boss favors will do the trick.

With the majority market force dictating regional pricing is acceptable, we lost in one area.

With the boss frowning on employees that does not do as he please, I cannot do whatever I like, how I want to sell my game (No DRM).
This employee is always late for work. (I cannot release my game in early access, it must be a stable version).
This employee like to pick on what work he like to do rather than assigned to him and rise a fuss if force to work on his assignment. (No pre-order exclusive, or exclusive of any kind)
This employee is always demanding a pay rise (No regional pricing, have to be fair price, still bitch about not getting it on sales due to too much backlog)
I have many many willing employee to do the job. (GOG community is a minority)
I have other employee who are much more effective (Other platform gives more revenue)

No wonder what publishers are, after some time when the sales goes stagnant because the game is not new and shiny anymore, they release it at GOG for recycling.

The only way publisher are going to cater our many demands is if we are going to pay a premium on it. We can demand everything under the sun and people will diligently attend to us, as long as we make their effort worth it. If we ditch our biggest bargaining chip, well......
LeonardoCornejo: Early access is not realy a good idea, an incoplete game is not something the customers will always be willing to pay for, specially knowing that if they do so the game might never be completed because the lazy devs were paid in advance.
GOG has no exclusives because publishers are not willing to give them exclusives, If I ever manage to fulfill my wish of making a cool videogame, I will make it a GOG exclusive for at least two years, and I would never elease it on Steam, Origin, or any other retailer that makes me angry later.
The GOG community is growing, and it is not a minority, just because Steam gets more atention than GOG it does not mean GOG is marginal.
08q2y3h4tu: snip
LeonardoCornejo: snip
Of course Early access is not good, and by exclusive I mean this http://www.gog.com/forum/general/preorder_the_vanishing_of_ethan_carter_special_edition/post95
It cause a backlash that the game dev have to come over and explain at gog. Not a good way to impress a dev who first release their game.
Yes GOG is growing, but GOG can only grew with more games right?

Anyway my point is that you cannot have everything without giving some thing in return. The hardest thing for a publisher to compromise is pricing as it will affect their profit or their "Assumed Profit" directly.

For as long as I am buying games, Russians are paying cheaper than me and I am not complaining. If you and me cannot be fair with our own pricing (salary), how can we expect the same with others?
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Gnostic
I really want drm free games,thats why i own nearly every game i want from gog already,However at the end of the day do you know what i really want?Games.If one steam or someone else sells one that i want and you don't then i'll be buying it from them.games like terraria,kerbal space program and civilization V are some examples of games i own on steam,Minecraft is a different example (no chance of you getting that though lol).If you get it later on and i like the game enough then i'll buy it here.some examples are AI war and don't starve.

i'm not going to refuse to buy a game that you don't sell when you don't really seem to be trying to get more.Your losing games you have and don't get many new games.over the past few months you keep changing your regional pricing stance and seem to just screw your customers who want games over by listening to the vocal minority.I haven't been looking at steam much for well over 6 months but i'm starting to look over there now.
I hate drm but i'm not going to miss out on great games over steams drm (i'll it for more invasive drm though)

i hope to see gog get more and better games in future but it doesn't seem likely with your actions recently.I guess i'll go look at steam now...
haleisback: I really want drm free games,thats why i own nearly every game i want from gog already,However at the end of the day do you know what i really want?Games.If one steam or someone else sells one that i want and you don't then i'll be buying it from them.games like terraria,kerbal space program and civilization V are some examples of games i own on steam,Minecraft is a different example (no chance of you getting that though lol).If you get it later on and i like the game enough then i'll buy it here.some examples are AI war and don't starve.

i'm not going to refuse to buy a game that you don't sell when you don't really seem to be trying to get more.Your losing games you have and don't get many new games.over the past few months you keep changing your regional pricing stance and seem to just screw your customers who want games over by listening to the vocal minority.I haven't been looking at steam much for well over 6 months but i'm starting to look over there now.
I hate drm but i'm not going to miss out on great games over steams drm (i'll it for more invasive drm though)

i hope to see gog get more and better games in future but it doesn't seem likely with your actions recently.I guess i'll go look at steam now...
Well, you have a good argument, provided you don't hate Steam Origin or DRM, I hate all of them, but I would not mind acquiring the games from other retailers as lonf as they are DRM free.
high rated
ktchong: Over a year ago, maybe almost two years ago, when I mentioned in the Steam forums that I also shopped at GOG and actually preferred GOG (at that time, but obviously not anymore,) many Steam users (who mostly had disdain for GOG users) jestingly asked me if I was an "anti-DRM Knight Templar" or "DRM-freedom fighter aka terrorist", and if I was on one of my "crusades" and was going to "terrorize" them over DRM. I did not get their jokes at the time. Now I got it.
What a difference a few years makes. Now you get to terrorize the GOG forums with your pro-DRM crusades.
EBToriginal: These movies however are even worse. Just stop whatever fever dream convinced you anyone here wanted these terrible turds,
shmerl: No. GOG should continue. I was waiting for a long time for anyone to roll out a DRM-free video service. All those the likes of Netflix and other DRMed services are sickening. Headweb is interesting and DRM-free but it's available only in Scandinavia. Surely GOG will have hard time convincing stupid publishers to release films DRM-free, but someone should start the effort! It worked for games, it can work for video as well.
But isn't Netflix a rental model, you rent the movie for the rental period. I see no problem with DRM there (as long as it is multiplatform) since you don't keep the video.

If you are buying to keep then yes no DRM all the way. Same with ebooks if it is a library hire out or rental fine with the DRM, if you are paying full price to own then you should have it DRM free. Hence I've not got into ebooks yet, generally all DRM encumbered.
haleisback: I really want drm free games,thats why i own nearly every game i want from gog already,However at the end of the day do you know what i really want?Games.If one steam or someone else sells one that i want and you don't then i'll be buying it from them.games like terraria,kerbal space program and civilization V are some examples of games i own on steam,Minecraft is a different example (no chance of you getting that though lol).If you get it later on and i like the game enough then i'll buy it here.some examples are AI war and don't starve.

If the past year I keep my gaming purchase on GOG as much as I can, with the exceptional of kickstarter. I own 3/4 of GOG current entire catalog and bought games I am not interested in to help GOG grow. All for the gleaming hope that games I want in other platform will come to GOG someday.

Now that it seems less likely to happen, it is very sad for me.

I hate Invasive DRM, it is Invasive DRM that drove me to GOG in the first place, my games went poof or lost some feature because of always online / save games lock in online server. (Magic the Gathering Tactics, Unreal 3 Black Edition, Spore)

I resisted non-invasive DRM because of the bad experiance with Invasive DRM, but now I don't know, Non-invasive DRM seems the compromise I have to make for certain games I want...... Torn up about it.
budejovice: What a difference a few years makes. Now you get to terrorize the GOG forums with your pro-DRM crusades.
Look at his rep. Some say rep doesnt matter but seriously....
SeduceMePlz: I don't complain that Europeans have received a GOG discount equal to their VAT (15-25%) for years.
Zoidberg: You DO now what VAT is, right?
(That seems to have been directed at me, so I fixed the quote tags for you.)

You DO have basic math skills, right? (Don't get all pissy; I'm just teasing you in return.)

Let's look at the classic GOG model. From the "Payments, pricing and promos" section of the GOG FAQ:

8. What about VAT / sales tax?

All the prices shown on our page are inclusive of value added tax (VAT) and sales tax. So it's always the exact order total visible at checkout - no additional costs!
Thus:

For countries without VAT/sales tax: $9.99 = game price

For countries w/VAT: $9.99 = game price + VAT

Via the wonders of algebra, Europeans have in fact been paying lower prices than Americans on GOG for years...

...unless GOG is paying VAT out of its own pocket, meaning that it's usual share of 30% would be reduced to 5-15% per sale (making European customers much less profitable for GOG).

Equal pricing would be:

For countries without VAT/sales tax: $9.99 = total price

For countries w/VAT: $9.99 + VAT = total price

However, as I've said here and elsewhere, I don't hold this against you or make a point of complaining about it. I explain it here only because you do not seem to grasp the concept. And were I somehow mistaken about this (I doubt it, as it seems to be rather simple low-level stuff, but feel free to school me if so), it wouldn't change the point that I made in my previous post.

---

How about that poll that's been mentioned several times now? Put it to a vote on the main page, limit it to those with an account with at least one purchased game (to minimize cheating; heck, maybe require a minimum of 5 purchased games for a stronger deterrent), and honestly post the results afterwards. This will not only help settle the matter somewhat on the forums, it'll give GOG valuable information for conducting its business.
Sad news, luckily for me I owned all except for the two Black Mirror games so I snapped them up. Just thinking about all the games from Nordic's catalog I would have liked to see come here. Guess for the time being that won't happen hope this isn't permanent.
Zoidberg: You DO now what VAT is, right?
SeduceMePlz: (That seems to have been directed at me, so I fixed the quote tags for you.)

You DO have basic math skills, right? (Don't get all pissy; I'm just teasing you in return.)

Let's look at the classic GOG model. From the "Payments, pricing and promos" section of the GOG FAQ:

8. What about VAT / sales tax?

All the prices shown on our page are inclusive of value added tax (VAT) and sales tax. So it's always the exact order total visible at checkout - no additional costs!
SeduceMePlz: Thus:

For countries without VAT/sales tax: $9.99 = game price

For countries w/VAT: $9.99 = game price + VAT

Via the wonders of algebra, Europeans have in fact been paying lower prices than Americans on GOG for years...

...unless GOG is paying VAT out of its own pocket, meaning that it's usual share of 30% would be reduced to 5-15% per sale (making European customers much less profitable for GOG).

Equal pricing would be:

For countries without VAT/sales tax: $9.99 = total price

For countries w/VAT: $9.99 + VAT = total price

However, as I've said here and elsewhere, I don't hold this against you or make a point of complaining about it. I explain it here only because you do not seem to grasp the concept. And were I somehow mistaken about this (I doubt it, as it seems to be rather simple low-level stuff, but feel free to school me if so), it wouldn't change the point that I made in my previous post.

---

How about that poll that's been mentioned several times now? Put it to a vote on the main page, limit it to those with an account with at least one purchased game (to minimize cheating; heck, maybe require a minimum of 5 purchased games for a stronger deterrent), and honestly post the results afterwards. This will not only help settle the matter somewhat on the forums, it'll give GOG valuable information for conducting its business.
Maybe you should put your idea in the community wishlist, when the whole regional pricing shit began, they asked in the community wishlist to change it, which led to this situation, maybe the community wishlist could help fix it too.