It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
xy2345: Nah, this swings both ways.

You also want the whole community to follow your rules. Your rules just happen to be different. For you it's okay if some people have to pay more, as long as you get more games because of that and you don't have to pay more. They can chose not to buy those games in that scenario as well as you can chose to buy them elsewhere now.

In that situation it's either a majority decision or some kind of compromise.
What's more? As I've said and other people have explained in many previous comments: "fair" pricing is actually NOT fair. People in different regions have different living standards, different income levels, different piracy rates, different disposable incomes, etc. When GOG makes American customers pay the exact same prices as, let say, Australian customers who actually have higher income levels, more disposable incomes, etc, then American customers are actually paying MORE in an economic sense.

What GOG has is EQUAL pricing, NOT fair pricing. What is equal is not always fair. Example: communism supposedly enforced economic equality, BUT it is also very economically unfair. GOG's so-called "fair" pricing is actually extremely unfair because it does not take into consideration of different living standard, different wage levels, different disposable incomes in different regions.

Anyway. I have already chose to buy somewhere else. GOG has certainly made the choice for me - when GOG has lost many titles and not getting any new ones that are worth my money. GOG has only added indie titles that no one cares about... and movies. I wonder just how many people here wants movies. Did anyone ask for movies? I know I won't even bother.

Anyway. I'm done here. Call me when there are more GAMES.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by ktchong

You also want the whole community to follow your rules. Your rules just happen to be different. For you it's okay if some people have to pay more, as long as you get more games because of that and you don't have to pay more. They can chose not to buy those games in that scenario as well as you can chose to buy them elsewhere now.

Ultra_DTA: I find it silly that having the *option* to pay more for a game is somehow worse than not having the games available at all. I love GoG, but I swear, some of the people here are some of the most big-headed, idealistic Internet warriors I've ever met. I don't really blame anyone for the loss of games, but we did just lose 35 games, that's nothing to sneeze at. I feel for people who do have to pay higher prices, but taking the option away all together isn't making anything better.
I guess that people are afraid that it will spread like cancer and more and more games will be regionally priced, because all publishers would rather earn more than less money. So they'd rather have less games and a fire barrier that ensures continuing flat prices.
Does someone know if Gothic 3 on gog.com is the Enhanced Edition?

ktchong: What's more? As I've said and other people have explained in many previous comments: "fair" pricing is actually NOT fair. People in different regions have different living standards, different income levels, different piracy rates, different disposable incomes, etc. When GOG makes American customers pay the exact same prices as, let say, Australian customers who actually have higher income levels, more disposable incomes, etc, then American customers are actually paying MORE in an economic sense.

What GOG has is EQUAL pricing, NOT fair pricing. What is equal is not always fair. Example: communism supposedly enforced economic equality, BUT it is also very economically unfair. GOG's so-called "fair" pricing is actually extremely unfair because it does not take into consideration of different living standard, different wage levels, different disposable incomes in different regions.

Anyway. I have already chose to buy somewhere else. GOG has certainly made the choice for me - when GOG has lost many titles and not getting any new ones that are worth my money. GOG has only added indie titles that no one cares about... and movies. I wonder just how many people here wants movies. Did anyone ask for movies? I know I won't even bother.

Well, even within a country there are people that earn more than others. A brain surgeon has to spend less time working to earn 100 bucks than a waiter. Do you want every user to send in their tax declaration, so that prices can be adjusted to individual income levels? How about you pay the same price, when buying the same product? Seems fair enough to me.
xy2345: Of course I'm only speaking for myself. Like all the other guys do too.

Apparently there were more of us then there were of you, when it came down to it. No hard feelings.
ktchong: You are an American. You should know the freedom of choice. Freedom of individual responsibilities.

If YOU do not like publishers who insist on regional pricing, then YOU can exercise your freedom of choice. Just don't buy from those publishers. It's that simple. But that's not you guys roll. You want EVERYONE ELSE here -- even people like me who disagree with you and your principles -- to stand up and suffer for YOUR principle.

For you, if a publisher does not play by how YOUR rules, then you demand everyone else to NOT have the choice to buy from that publisher as well. But why should I pay the price for YOUR principles? Why should I be NOT allowed to buy a game because of YOUR principles? Basically, you want to take away everyone else's freedom of choice to suit YOUR principles. You are using me to add to your number for collective bargaining, even as I vehemently disagree with your principles.

This is like some kind of labor union thing that I did not sign up for but is forced into participating. If I had know GOG would be some kind of union thing, I would have never bought anything from here. Well, you can be a bully here GOG. Do you know what I'd do? I go over to Steam and buy my games from those publishers from now on.
I already made a proposition to accomodate people who pay the lowest prices because they live in U.S. regardless and want others to pay the highest possible prices the publishes manage to squeeze out of them.

Will you KTCHONG and similar people like you agree to financially profitable change and accept FLAT pricing based on the highest regional price worldwide? That will help GOG stay much more profitable than now, also make greedy publishers happy and will not disadvantage anybody, because we all will pay ripoff prices.

To explain what I mean.

Before with fair pricing we all paid e.g. 20$ for a game no matter which country you logged in,

with current rip off regional pricing, you, proponent of regional pricing still pay 20$, but people from EU pay e.g. U.K. people 28$, Germans 30$ and people from Australia 40$.

You say, you would gladly pay the highest regional prices as it will bring new games and let games of publishers who want to rip off other countries stay. So would you agree to pay 40$ for a game, that cost you before 20$ for the sake of satisfying publishers who want to rip off people on GOG too for no other reason, than that they can do it at other retail venues? That way, we all will pay 40$ from now on and nobody will be disadvantaged except ALL us paying customers regardless of where we log in, BUT we will get games galore here.

I actually think, after I did read few of you posts, that you would loudly proclaim to be ready to pay so much more, because you know, that you will never need to, as nor GOG or any other retailer would dare to ask you such high prices because you all would go berserk if it ever happened, but at the same time, you want others to accept to being ripped off, so you get more games offered here. And sorry, this Union blabla is really not intelligent as it's like comparing apples and stinking socks.
truexlick: Does someone know if Gothic 3 on gog.com is the Enhanced Edition?
It comes bundled with the community patch although I can't find the reference to that on the "new" game page. I've never heard about an enhanced edition for the regular game so maybe you are talking about the not-so-good add-on then. This clearly says "enhanced" in its title. :)
xy2345: Of course I'm only speaking for myself. Like all the other guys do too.

Apparently there were more of us then there were of you, when it came down to it. No hard feelings.

PS: But it would be okay, if the rest suffered higher prices, so that you can get more games?
haleisback: There was not and is not more of you,you just bitch louder.Your called the vocal minority.
I'm pretty sure that the guys at GOG looked at some numbers before making that decision.
truexlick: Does someone know if Gothic 3 on gog.com is the Enhanced Edition?
Wurzelkraft: It comes bundled with the community patch although I can't find the reference to that on the "new" game page. I've never heard about an enhanced edition for the regular game so maybe you are talking about the not-so-good add-on then. This clearly says "enhanced" in its title. :)
Yes thank you i meant the Community Patch.
low rated
Over a year ago, maybe almost two years ago, when I mentioned in the Steam forums that I also shopped at GOG and actually preferred GOG (at that time, but obviously not anymore,) many Steam users (who mostly had disdain for GOG users) jestingly asked me if I was an "anti-DRM Knight Templar" or "DRM-freedom fighter aka terrorist", and if I was on one of my "crusades" and was going to "terrorize" them over DRM. I did not get their jokes at the time. Now I got it.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by ktchong
DampSquib: Games :D

Enjoy :)
Games are always good, thanks for your generosity yet again. I wonder how many there were in that gift to start out with this time, I know the others had a lot. Oh well, I didn't claim any - just peeked - but there still are a couple left (if there were more in there someone claimed them quite fast XD).
DampSquib: Games :D

Enjoy :)
MetalPlateMage: Games are always good, thanks for your generosity yet again. I wonder how many there were in that gift to start out with this time, I know the others had a lot. Oh well, I didn't claim any - just peeked - but there still are a couple left (if there were more in there someone claimed them quite fast XD).
23...in that list, but I did redeem 2 my self.
Just to save multi purchases, and the whole cc declined bit :)
high rated
ktchong: Over a year ago, maybe almost two years ago, when I mentioned in the Steam forums that I also shopped at GOG and actually preferred GOG (at that time, but obviously not anymore,) many Steam users (who mostly had disdain for GOG users) jestingly asked me if I was an "anti-DRM Knight Templar" or "DRM-freedom fighter aka terrorist", and if I was on one of my "crusades" and was going to "terrorize" them over DRM. I did not get their jokes at the time. Now I got it.
It's great that you get their jokes but I think it would be awesome to be called "anti-DRM Knight Templar", sounds like a very honorable title.

ktchong: What's more? As I've said and other people have explained in many previous comments: "fair" pricing is actually NOT fair. People in different regions have different living standards, different income levels, different piracy rates, different disposable incomes, etc. When GOG makes American customers pay the exact same prices as, let say, Australian customers who actually have higher income levels, more disposable incomes, etc, then American customers are actually paying MORE in an economic sense.

Let me correct you, Indie titles you don't care about, many of the indie titles here are awesome, sometimes even better than some AAA titles out there.
amund: It's great that you get their jokes but I think it would be awesome to be called "anti-DRM Knight Templar", sounds like a very honorable title.
Indeed, it's just too bad that he isn't worthy of being called that since he cares more about being able to play the King's Bounty games simultaneously than supporting GOG and the DRM-free movement.
Besides, he obviously doesn't realise that his right to freedom of choice hasn't been compromised in any way as witnessed by the very fact that he is exercising it by buying a lot of his games on Steam.
high rated
Ok, I must say I was pretty pissed off when I first read it but now I must admit that I kinda understand that there is no clear-cut "bad guy" here and that this thing quite simply sucks all-around.

There are only so many "Good Old Games" to be revived and the truth of the matter is, GoG had already succeeded in doing that a year or so ago, now adding mostly obscure/less well-known titles that might not really stack up against the alpha-dogs of yore (unless they'd somehow magically succeed in getting the Lucas Arts catalog or the old Blizzard games which would be a happy day indeed).
It was clear that GoG needed to add regional pricing because (a) new and/or AAA games' publishers weren't gonna go for flat USD pricing and (b) a lot of non-US users were clamoring for it, however, when they tried, you had the other users clamoring about losing what they already had (which makes sense really).
So GoG finally decides to take the hit and pay out of their own pockets the regional pricing difference for those said new/AAA titles if it means getting newer titles which will allow them to grow further.
However, seeing as most of the time they are either the biggest or indeed the only ones selling the older games and with profit margins so much smaller, it would make sense that they wouldn't/couldn't afford to do the same with them as well.

For the most part the bigger publishers will look the other way because these games were dead weight that was not bringing them any money anyway but for those that are on many distribution platforms or for those publishers with very few games or mostly semi-old ones, these are their livelihoods and it might not make good business sense.

Now, the truth is, I still don't know how to feel. I do understand Frictional Games' point; with only a handful of games in their catalog, they couldn't afford angering their other distributors (and angering Steam to stay on GoG is just plain mad) but I must admit that I can't really use the same argument and justify Nordic Games for not being able to come into some kind of agreement with GoG, even on a per-game-basis.
I mean, first off, the GoG versions are the least problematic and not only because GoG actually put the time and effort to make it so but also because apparently, the Steam overlay doesn't play nice with many of the games' aging code.
Add to this that, even indirectly, many of their games wouldn't even make it to Steam at all if it weren't for GoG and their revival of old games plus now that they are there, I find it pretty hard to believe that Steam would force them to comply or ditch them altogether since they'd be removing a heck of a lot more than 35 games from their catalog.

I do believe that in their case it was simply a matter of not wanting to bother with GoG's business and the compromises that come with it since they can simply get more from Steam and easier which TBH makes good business sense but also makes them look pretty bad (and I mean, EA-bad) to the gamers which is basically a 180° turn from their previous image.

I have many (1/3?) of the games being removed and indeed most from the entire Nordic catalog (between GoG, Humble and Steam) but still the cost of buying the rest is pretty high for me plus, even if I can appreciate the business side of their decision, I still can't help but feel angered with that stance that I have half a mind to not wanting to give them my money (i.e. my business).

One thing is for sure, if I'm not buying them from here, I won't be buying them period.

(Wow, I didn't even realize the wall of text that I made :O )
Post edited August 29, 2014 by KeyperOS