It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
fronzelneekburm: Just went to the Frictional forum to see whether something had been posted about Amnesia/Penumbra getting pulled. Someone from the Frictional team was kind enough to provide a slightly more in-depth explanation as to why they're pulled.

So yeah, long story short, this fucking button just cost us 35 games. 35 mostly excellent titles, whose absence seriously devalues GOG as a vendor.
i'm not sure that going the other way and accept more claims from devs/publishers would lead to more long time success of gog.com. if you accept claims because of these explanations, in 2 years or earlier they will come up with the same explanations to establish drm on gog.com for their titles (just because the devs/publishers want equality and steam&co have already drm blablabla).

so thank you gog.com for supporting us costumers and our wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
high rated
Klumpen0815: I hate this button.
Nuke the button!

What almost gets me even more riled up is the fact that GOG's willingness to cover for the regional pricing difference is somehow dependent on how old the game is.

Excellent older titles like "The Dark Descent" are thrown out by default because they're "too old" (which is funny, considering this site was founded on the idea of selling good old games), while an undeserving, absolute piece of shit like "A Machine For Pigs" gets to stay in the catalogue. This is madness!
Voted! .
Setting prices to a fixed USD amount makes sense to me. Not just for games that are otherwise removed from the catalog but for all of them.
I read all the announcements but I still don't understand the purpose of introducing this multiple currencies thing, seems to mostly create confusion. Why can't we all just pay in USD all the time and everyone can use a currency converter of their choice, off-site? It's better if we the customers do the conversion ourselves, that way publishers like Nordic Games won't have any reason to pull any products from the GOG catalog because the new system here causes them too much work.

As to your comment about fixed exchange rates working well, isn't that usually just an anti-inflation measure in places with struggling economies like Cambodia where the local "currency" is fixed at 4000 Riel for one USD .
Post edited August 29, 2014 by awalterj
I may not quite understand all the financial nuances of regional vs. non-regional pricing but honestly, speaking as an American, I don't really care that EU folks were (often) getting a discount before.

My feelings are unharmed that I might have been paying slightly more than people half a world away from me.

Is there some reason that I am missing that GOG can't go back to the old way of pricing that seemed so much less controversial?
GOG really needs to offer more reasonable currency conversion allowances. It's shocking to see GOG allow developers to leave over something that seems so petty, especially while letting Daedalic seem to rape people on regional price differences (up to 32% higher in Germancy) excessive to what is indicated by Frictional (+15% VAT) and Nordic as variance they would need.

I'm not sure why GOG rolled out currency conversion without vetting this material; Nordic just released new items here last month so there hasn't been much time to convince me changes have been methodical on GOG's end.
fronzelneekburm: Nuke the button!

What almost gets me even more riled up is the fact that GOG's willingness to cover for the regional pricing difference is somehow dependent on how old the game is.

Excellent older titles like "The Dark Descent" are thrown out by default because they're "too old" (which is funny, considering this site was founded on the idea of selling good old games), while an undeserving, absolute piece of shit like "A Machine For Pigs" gets to stay in the catalogue. This is madness!
Well said, +1.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by undeadcow
Wurzelkraft: "In terms of before, you are correct that for example EU people always got the game cheaper. We had an exception for GOG, as their model was to use USD only, this "discount" was not visible and folks got it without knowing it."
Yeah right. As if most people weren't already aware of the discount including the competition (Steam etc.). It's definitely more explicitly stated now but you would have to be highly ignorant to not have realised the benefit of buying games on GOG when both prices and currency were fixed.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Lemon_Curry
Voted also, though I don't know if it was really the right thing to do or not.

My main thing is I want to see those highly-desired games back - Red Faction, Amnesia, eventually Titan Quest...

fronzelneekburm: Excellent older titles like "The Dark Descent" are thrown out by default because they're "too old" (which is funny, considering this site was founded on the idea of selling good old games), while an undeserving, absolute piece of shit like "A Machine For Pigs" gets to stay in the catalogue. This is madness!
This, too. Ugh.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by tfishell
Lemon_Curry: Yeah right. As if most people weren't already aware of the discount including the competition (Steam etc.). It's definitely more explicitly stated now but you would have to be highly ignorant to not have realised the benefit of buying games on GOG when both prices and currency were fixed.
I know, right? Obvious discount is bad and hidden discount is fine. *cringes*
Wurzelkraft: I know, right? Obvious discount is bad and hidden discount is fine. *cringes*
Apparently... it is.
Wurzelkraft: I know, right? Obvious discount is bad and hidden discount is fine. *cringes*
It's bloody absurd.
Lemon_Curry: Yeah right. As if most people weren't already aware of the discount including the competition (Steam etc.). It's definitely more explicitly stated now but you would have to be highly ignorant to not have realised the benefit of buying games on GOG when both prices and currency were fixed.
Hence why I call the claims by NG and Frictional farcical at best...
Klumpen0815: I hate this button.
fronzelneekburm: Nuke the button!

So wait... wat?! Too old? Why exactly does Machine for Pigs get to stay when Dark Descent doesn't?

GOG. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I feel like they just sounded their own death knell to a certain extent. That's the feeling I got yesterday when I saw how many games were leaving. I hate that feeling because I love GOG.
I insist, it is all Steam's fault they are the only real enemies of GOG, you never see a Valve game released on GOG, but you see some EA games on GOG, even though they have Origin, it is clear the competitor Nordic and Frictional are trying to appease is Steam/Valve.
awalterj: Setting prices to a fixed USD amount makes sense to me. Not just for games that are otherwise removed from the catalog but for all of them.
I read all the announcements but I still don't understand the purpose of introducing this multiple currencies thing, seems to mostly create confusion. Why can't we all just pay in USD all the time and everyone can use a currency converter of their choice, off-site? It's better if we the customers do the conversion ourselves, that way publishers like Nordic Games won't have any reason to pull any products from the GOG catalog because the new system here causes them too much work.
I agree, although having more options is a good thing but the introduction of local currency payment has only made things more complicated. Not only a whole bunch of games are being removed because of it but also previously sold games are becoming regionally priced for some reason and we have yet to hear a word about it from GOG or the publishers http://www.gog.com/forum/general/newly_regionalpriced_games/post1. But, I suspect that they will also blame the local currency payment for different territories as the reason for that.

I don't know whether GOG discussed these changes with all partners and publishers beforehand when they decided to implement them because so far I have yet to see any real advantages. Infact it has only resulted in a lot of confusion and complications, while in some cases the currency change button is not even working yet.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by stg83
fronzelneekburm: Excellent older titles like "The Dark Descent" are thrown out by default because they're "too old" (which is funny, considering this site was founded on the idea of selling good old games), while an undeserving, absolute piece of shit like "A Machine For Pigs" gets to stay in the catalogue. This is madness!
Except you are making things up and that not what was said.

Dark Descent was not removed because it was "too old", it was removed because Frictional asked for this game to have regional pricing (i,e, more expensive in some region) but GoG refused because they only accept this king of pricing on recent games and not on older ones.

Which is exactly what they promised to do when they first talked about the introduction of regional pricing; you cannot really blame GoG for keeping their "promise".