It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
ThomNG: Dear GOG Community,
Namur: Thank You, it's very refreshing when someone actually takes the time to explain why things sometimes have to be the way they are.

Here's hoping NG and GOG can workaround this somehow in the near future. Cheers.
holy shit is this cheating, almost 3500 rep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congratulations
undeadcow: I think Nordic Games and now Frictional Games (response linked below) make good points about currency changes creating extra VAT costs for the developer or setting a standard that currency rates change too wildly for the publisher to be able to track. Hopefully GOG can see some of the flaws in it's currency exchange design and make necessary corrections.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/frictional_games_answer_to_amnesiapenumbra_games_pullout_from_gog
Well that was a bullshit response as the prices weren't going to change. If that logically was the reason then it would have been an issue before.
high rated
I wasn't going to comment on anything, but I hope GOG works long and hard getting Nordic back (and Frictional). It is sad, and disturbing to me, that one of GOG's most active and cooperative publishers would pick up, and leave.

It seems GOG likes to JUST DO things without considering consequences.
ThomNG: Dear GOG Community,

We are aware that this decision might lead to raised eyebrows amongst certain members of the gaming community, but it had to be made and we as a company adhere to it.

With playful and gaming regards,

Nordic Games
Thanks, this is very insightful!

Jeremie
ThomNG: snip
Did I understand it right, that those games would not have been removed if GoG had not introduced those strange €/GBP/etc.. prices nobody wants anyway?

Hmpf, then it's entirely GoGs fault, they should just have stayed with USD I change back to it every login anyway (because the setting isn't saved unfortunately..).
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Klumpen0815
1322: It seems GOG likes to JUST DO things without considering consequences.
Do you mean things like this?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/09/22/gog-relaunches-admits-closure-was-a-hoax/1
:)
Klumpen0815: those strange €/GBP/etc.. prices nobody wants anyway?
I think you're wrong, I think some people were desperate for those due to high transaction fees and anti-fraud controls on credit and debit cards
Bad, very bad :(. Hope those games will come back in near future. For now I took Panzer Elite, has a boxed version but discs are not in best shape so better get a digital version just in case.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Bambusek
torp: Here's how I read Nordic's statement: "Our not-GoG distributors were pissed off that GoG undercuts them in all markets except the US."

Regional pricing is mostly a product of having regional physical distributors, each with different taxes. However, I doubt GoG has any worldwide presence, so it pays the same taxes for every sale. Thus, no need for regional pricing.

Incidentally, why isn't anyone complaining that an app in the iOS store costs 99 US cents but only 89 eurocents? Would you like the 1 usd == 1 eur parity over there too?
I understood exactly the same idea, and I blame Steam.
Gnostic: There is no such thing as fair pricing, because I look at the mirror and it says so.

If I do the same work as my colleague and contribute the same or less than my colleague, but get paid higher I don't go to my boss and says "Please lower my pay because I am paid more than I should".

If I contribute more and get paid less then my colleague I will be unhappy about it. Even if I contribute less and get paid less, I will also be unhappy about it.

If I join a new company and get paid more, I don't go "Please lower my pay because other company (Region) paid less to me. I have to be fair." If I am paid less in my new company, I will be unhappy and find ways to increase my pay or try another company.

If I cannot hold the same fair standard to myself, how I expect others to do the same? The market force, boss favors will do the trick.

With the majority market force dictating regional pricing is acceptable, we lost in one area.

With the boss frowning on employees that does not do as he please, I cannot do whatever I like, how I want to sell my game (No DRM).
This employee is always late for work. (I cannot release my game in early access, it must be a stable version).
This employee like to pick on what work he like to do rather than assigned to him and rise a fuss if force to work on his assignment. (No pre-order exclusive, or exclusive of any kind)
This employee is always demanding a pay rise (No regional pricing, have to be fair price, still bitch about not getting it on sales due to too much backlog)
I have many many willing employee to do the job. (GOG community is a minority)
I have other employee who are much more effective (Other platform gives more revenue)

No wonder what publishers are, after some time when the sales goes stagnant because the game is not new and shiny anymore, they release it at GOG for recycling.

The only way publisher are going to cater our many demands is if we are going to pay a premium on it. We can demand everything under the sun and people will diligently attend to us, as long as we make their effort worth it. If we ditch our biggest bargaining chip, well......
Early access is not realy a good idea, an incoplete game is not something the customers will always be willing to pay for, specially knowing that if they do so the game might never be completed because the lazy devs were paid in advance.
GOG has no exclusives because publishers are not willing to give them exclusives, If I ever manage to fulfill my wish of making a cool videogame, I will make it a GOG exclusive for at least two years, and I would never elease it on Steam, Origin, or any other retailer that makes me angry later.
The GOG community is growing, and it is not a minority, just because Steam gets more atention than GOG it does not mean GOG is marginal.
08q2y3h4tu: I think GOG should make it a choice:

If you want to pay U.S. prices, you have to pay with credit card in dollars as it was till now. If you want to pay with all those other regional payment methods, than you have to accept regional prices but you also get regional versions and should also include regional language (e.g. if you buy a game of German origin with German regional payment method, you pay the German regional price BUT the publisher has to include the original language too, not like now, that only English versions are included, despite the original game being in German) .

I think, GOG should retain and differentiate between the original payment method with credit card in dollars, the original U.S. pricing and U.S. market versions of games and regional ones. That way all those, who could manage to get a credit card and be able to pay in $ would be able to choose between both options, as either one has some advantages and disadvantages, conveniences and annoyances.

For the publishers, it should be also more important to offer options, as that way, people who despite preferring the regional currency option and payment methods would never buy the games for the high regional price, but would eventually go to the hassle, get the credit card and buy it for the U.S. dollar price, instead of not buying at all AND eventually get the game from other(...) sources.

(I for example was lurking on this page since the beginning, but couldn't buy anything, because I didn't have a credit card, I had not enough money and I was not comfortable with the credit card because it was foreign to me and also having to go through the hassle and costs of getting a credit card. Well over the years I saved enough money to feel free, to be able to finally buy all those games i was yearning for to own, and software i was using regularly AND few months ago, I made the giant step and went to the place, where they offer debit cards in a country where I live as migrant and got me a debit card, it cost me a fee and i pay min. 1.5 euro up to 2% for uploading money to it and conversion fees for paying in non euro currencies. The card also is valid only for a limited amount of time and I will have to buy/make a new one when this one expires.)
Look, restricting the USD payment to credit cards only is not a good idea, PayPal and debit cards are sometimes more trusted, specially by customers with lower income, actually it would help if they made USD payment based on international payment methods, and local currency payment having also local payment methods available.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by LeonardoCornejo
undeadcow: I think Nordic Games and now Frictional Games (response linked below) make good points about currency changes creating extra VAT costs for the developer or setting a standard that currency rates change too wildly for the publisher to be able to track. Hopefully GOG can see some of the flaws in it's currency exchange design and make necessary corrections.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/frictional_games_answer_to_amnesiapenumbra_games_pullout_from_gog
Maybe they should make a monthly fixed currency exchange rate which is two or three units higher than the real one.

Fixed exchange rates work quite well, even when they are lower than the real one, an example, the Mexican MTG community in many areas made what they called the "Magic Dollar" which means, in stead of keeping track on the fluctuating USD-MXN exchange rate (Which is like 1 USD = 13.x or 14 MXN) they fixed it in 1 USD = 10 MXN, it makes the prices of single cards lower than the real price, yet somehow many distributors of single cards manage to make it work and get money from it.

They could even fix it five units higher than the real rate at the moment and make it yearly.

My idea seems to be good enough to get in the front page of the community wishlist.

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/make_a_usd_lock_for_games_with_pricing_issues

We should start making more sugestions and put all of them in there, who knows maybe someone comes up with the real solution and saves the day,
Post edited August 29, 2014 by LeonardoCornejo
torp: Here's how I read Nordic's statement: "Our not-GoG distributors were pissed off that GoG undercuts them in all markets except the US."

Regional pricing is mostly a product of having regional physical distributors, each with different taxes. However, I doubt GoG has any worldwide presence, so it pays the same taxes for every sale. Thus, no need for regional pricing.

Incidentally, why isn't anyone complaining that an app in the iOS store costs 99 US cents but only 89 eurocents? Would you like the 1 usd == 1 eur parity over there too?
LeonardoCornejo: I understood exactly the same idea, and I blame Steam.
Gnostic: There is no such thing as fair pricing, because I look at the mirror and it says so.

If I do the same work as my colleague and contribute the same or less than my colleague, but get paid higher I don't go to my boss and says "Please lower my pay because I am paid more than I should".

If I contribute more and get paid less then my colleague I will be unhappy about it. Even if I contribute less and get paid less, I will also be unhappy about it.

If I join a new company and get paid more, I don't go "Please lower my pay because other company (Region) paid less to me. I have to be fair." If I am paid less in my new company, I will be unhappy and find ways to increase my pay or try another company.

If I cannot hold the same fair standard to myself, how I expect others to do the same? The market force, boss favors will do the trick.

With the majority market force dictating regional pricing is acceptable, we lost in one area.

With the boss frowning on employees that does not do as he please, I cannot do whatever I like, how I want to sell my game (No DRM).
This employee is always late for work. (I cannot release my game in early access, it must be a stable version).
This employee like to pick on what work he like to do rather than assigned to him and rise a fuss if force to work on his assignment. (No pre-order exclusive, or exclusive of any kind)
This employee is always demanding a pay rise (No regional pricing, have to be fair price, still bitch about not getting it on sales due to too much backlog)
I have many many willing employee to do the job. (GOG community is a minority)
I have other employee who are much more effective (Other platform gives more revenue)

No wonder what publishers are, after some time when the sales goes stagnant because the game is not new and shiny anymore, they release it at GOG for recycling.

The only way publisher are going to cater our many demands is if we are going to pay a premium on it. We can demand everything under the sun and people will diligently attend to us, as long as we make their effort worth it. If we ditch our biggest bargaining chip, well......
LeonardoCornejo: Early access is not realy a good idea, an incoplete game is not something the customers will always be willing to pay for, specially knowing that if they do so the game might never be completed because the lazy devs were paid in advance.
GOG has no exclusives because publishers are not willing to give them exclusives, If I ever manage to fulfill my wish of making a cool videogame, I will make it a GOG exclusive for at least two years, and I would never elease it on Steam, Origin, or any other retailer that makes me angry later.
The GOG community is growing, and it is not a minority, just because Steam gets more atention than GOG it does not mean GOG is marginal.
08q2y3h4tu: I think GOG should make it a choice:

If you want to pay U.S. prices, you have to pay with credit card in dollars as it was till now. If you want to pay with all those other regional payment methods, than you have to accept regional prices but you also get regional versions and should also include regional language (e.g. if you buy a game of German origin with German regional payment method, you pay the German regional price BUT the publisher has to include the original language too, not like now, that only English versions are included, despite the original game being in German) .

I think, GOG should retain and differentiate between the original payment method with credit card in dollars, the original U.S. pricing and U.S. market versions of games and regional ones. That way all those, who could manage to get a credit card and be able to pay in $ would be able to choose between both options, as either one has some advantages and disadvantages, conveniences and annoyances.

For the publishers, it should be also more important to offer options, as that way, people who despite preferring the regional currency option and payment methods would never buy the games for the high regional price, but would eventually go to the hassle, get the credit card and buy it for the U.S. dollar price, instead of not buying at all AND eventually get the game from other(...) sources.

(I for example was lurking on this page since the beginning, but couldn't buy anything, because I didn't have a credit card, I had not enough money and I was not comfortable with the credit card because it was foreign to me and also having to go through the hassle and costs of getting a credit card. Well over the years I saved enough money to feel free, to be able to finally buy all those games i was yearning for to own, and software i was using regularly AND few months ago, I made the giant step and went to the place, where they offer debit cards in a country where I live as migrant and got me a debit card, it cost me a fee and i pay min. 1.5 euro up to 2% for uploading money to it and conversion fees for paying in non euro currencies. The card also is valid only for a limited amount of time and I will have to buy/make a new one when this one expires.)
LeonardoCornejo: Look, restricting the USD payment to credit cards only is not a good idea, PayPal and debit cards are sometimes more trusted, specially by customers with lower income, actually it would help if they made USD payment based on international payment methods, and local currency payment having also local payment methods available.
I agree with everything you said and the perfect formulation how you summed it up, as that's actually what I wanted to say, but didn't know how to word it properly, so i wrote that long confusing essay.

I actually also meant credit/debit cards way of payment as I also own only a debit card, but I called it a credit card in my post as for me it's like I have credit card, as it allows me to pay everywhere where credit cards are the only payment. I am also strictly anti painpal, yet had to give in to be able to pay for software I used a long time and now I was able to finally pay them for it and make my use of it legal, as they only have paypal option. I use it also with the debit card. So I agree about the paypal option too, even if I believe that they are .....
LeonardoCornejo: Look, restricting the USD payment to credit cards only is not a good idea, PayPal and debit cards are sometimes more trusted, specially by customers with lower income, actually it would help if they made USD payment based on international payment methods, and local currency payment having also local payment methods available.
08q2y3h4tu: I agree with everything you said and the perfect formulation how you summed it up, as that's actually what I wanted to say, but didn't know how to word it properly, so i wrote that long confusing essay.

I actually also meant credit/debit cards way of payment as I also own only a debit card, but I called it a credit card in my post as for me it's like I have credit card, as it allows me to pay everywhere where credit cards are the only payment. I am also strictly anti painpal, yet had to give in to be able to pay for software I used a long time and now I was able to finally pay them for it and make my use of it legal, as they only have paypal option. I use it also with the debit card. So I agree about the paypal option too, even if I believe that they are .....
I know PayPal is a nuisance at its best (As far as I know they charge tricky fees and take the USD exchange rate higher than it realy is, for example 1 USD = 15 MXN), but some people trust it more than any options, for instance my father, everytime he buys something online he wants PayPal options or nothing, and I am sure there are others who want it too.
high rated
Just went to the Frictional forum to see whether something had been posted about Amnesia/Penumbra getting pulled. Someone from the Frictional team was kind enough to provide a slightly more in-depth explanation as to why they're pulled.

So yeah, long story short, this fucking button just cost us 35 games. 35 mostly excellent titles, whose absence seriously devalues GOG as a vendor.
Attachments:
fronzelneekburm: Just went to the Frictional forum to see whether something had been posted about Amnesia/Penumbra getting pulled. Someone from the Frictional team was kind enough to provide a slightly more in-depth explanation as to why they're pulled.

So yeah, long story short, this fucking button just cost us 35 games. 35 mostly excellent titles, whose absence seriously devalues GOG as a vendor.
Yep, this is what I understood from what the guy from Nordic Games said as well.

I hate this button.
fronzelneekburm: Just went to the Frictional forum to see whether something had been posted about Amnesia/Penumbra getting pulled. Someone from the Frictional team was kind enough to provide a slightly more in-depth explanation as to why they're pulled.

The button simply shows what was going on in the background anyway (plus or minus a few cents of course). It comes down to this:

"In terms of before, you are correct that for example EU people always got the game cheaper. We had an exception for GOG, as their model was to use USD only, this "discount" was not visible and folks got it without knowing it. With the addition of currencies, the discount is clearly visible and because of it we asked to have the same price as in other stores. Instead of seeing it as an increase in price, it should be seen as a discount that stopped being active."

Games were sold cheaper on GOG for non-US regions for years (compared to other distributors) but they thought nobody would notice this since it was hidden behind a currency conversion
-> it's obvious now
-> ooops we have to change the prices so our other partners don't see this
-> can't come to terms with GOG
-> pull games