It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
Ebany: It's degrading for my Extremely expensive gaming rig to run such an archaic piece of software, couldn't even slow the system enough to run one of those Amiga games. It would be like hitching a horse drawn carriage to a Ferrari.

Drowning enemy in Populous was fun when stone tools were common, but some games are just too old. Might as well bring back Mines of Titan, or even my personal favourite, Bandit Kings of Ancient China.
toxicTom: I pity you for being stuck with the latest Crysis/Battlefield/Metro. Perhaps you should get some more humble computer?

Now really, this is like you have that beautiful girlfriend, but she demands a diamond every friggin' time you want to bed her.
I have an "Extremely Expensive Gaming Rig"™ too, and it runs my Amiga and C64 clasics just fine (through WinUAE and WinVICE), as well as Crysis/Battlefield/Metro etc, which I enjoy playing also btw.
There's no real technical reason nowadays why one couldn't play old games, even on an extremely fast computer. Having such a PC just enables you to enjoy the new titles in all their graphical glory as well.
This is just a matter of each individual's gaming preferences. It should come as no surprise though that some people on a site called Good Old Games have a preference for 'archaic' (as Ebany called them) or 'Retro'(as I like to call them) games, no matter on which platform.
skimmie: There's no real technical reason nowadays why one couldn't play old games, even on an extremely fast computer. Having such a PC just enables you to enjoy the new titles in all their graphical glory as well.
I don't have a high-end gaming rig, but I always find it fascinating that a 3.x GHz processor actually breaks into sweat when trying to run games like Turrican 2/3 or Apidya that ran at a perfect 50Hz on a 7.14Mhz machine at maximum emulation settings. The hardware sync'ed Amiga custom chips are still quite a bitch to recreate in software.

As for the "just too old" that Ebany talked about I guess that's a matter of personal preference. My pain limit is about CGA graphics - they're really an eye-sore - I even prefer monochrone over that. And I can't stand texture flickering anymore (but I had no problem with Wold3D or Doom in their original glory back in the day).

Other than that "too old" for me most of the time means gameplay wise. I avoid RPGs without automapping since I just don't have the time or patience for manual mapping anymore. I could understand that someone sees Populous as outdated since Populous 2 is superior in every aspect. But there is no real successor to the latter one and so it simply can't "outdate" for me.
I can understand that people don't play HoMM1 anymore since HoMM2+ are all superior. But the old Master of Magic is irreplaceable even today.
After seeing gogs email today about new technology coming to gog.com, I have a hunch this new feature is a gog client and not a new publisher or such coming here. Linux is scheduled for autumn so that can't be it.
Post edited June 04, 2014 by Matruchus
Ebany: It's degrading for my Extremely expensive gaming rig to run such an archaic piece of software, couldn't even slow the system enough to run one of those Amiga games. It would be like hitching a horse drawn carriage to a Ferrari.

Drowning enemy in Populous was fun when stone tools were common, but some games are just too old. Might as well bring back Mines of Titan, or even my personal favourite, Bandit Kings of Ancient China.
trusteft: You are being rude for no reason.
Not intentionally, but regardless of how's it's perceived the fact still remains that GoG has the majority of any old games their likely to obtain economically. Additionally the niche for such ancient games as those on an Amiga would only be converted be a tiny group, most of us here would prefer slightly newer material.

The hardware sync'ed Amiga custom chips are still quite a bitch to recreate in software.
That's true; it does take a bit of tinkering in WinUAE settings to get them to run nicely (which is why I also have my 'mega-expanded' A1200 set up and ready to go).

As for the "just too old" that Ebany talked about I guess that's a matter of personal preference. My pain limit is about CGA graphics - they're really an eye-sore - I even prefer monochrone over that. And I can't stand texture flickering anymore (but I had no problem with Wold3D or Doom in their original glory back in the day).
I dislike CGA too, but that's because I started my PC gaming career with an XT with VGA graphics (yes, I was spoiled, I know :)

Other than that "too old" for me most of the time means gameplay wise. I avoid RPGs without automapping since I just don't have the time or patience for manual mapping anymore.
The same here; I don't like walkthoughs, but I only play games without automapping if I can find maps for them online (only for reference ofcourse :)

toxicTom: I pity you for being stuck with the latest Crysis/Battlefield/Metro. Perhaps you should get some more humble computer?

Now really, this is like you have that beautiful girlfriend, but she demands a diamond every friggin' time you want to bed her.
Don't pity me, I enjoy knowing my system will have no issues handling games like Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077.

Don't have a girlfriend, wife, or kids, I work too much. I imagine my chance for a family is now gone ...... and let's face it, who the f**k would put up with me :)
Ebany: Additionally the niche for such ancient games as those on an Amiga would only be converted be a tiny group, most of us here would prefer slightly newer material.
Is that really the case? (not debating your statement btw, merely curious why you would conclude this).
To me it seems that people on GOG are perfectly fine with games from the same era as (later) Amiga games, something I also observed in the Insomnia sale (the speed at which the Sierra titles sold, for instance. All of these were also available on Amiga in the past)
Ebany: Don't pity me, I enjoy knowing my system will have no issues handling games like Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077.

Don't have a girlfriend, wife, or kids, I work too much. I imagine my chance for a family is now gone ...... and let's face it, who the f**k would put up with me :)
But you're ever so Horny! :-P

(SCNR).
skimmie: There's no real technical reason nowadays why one couldn't play old games, even on an extremely fast computer. Having such a PC just enables you to enjoy the new titles in all their graphical glory as well.
toxicTom: But the old Master of Magic is irreplaceable even today.
Agreed, was playing that last week. Also Warlords, awesome game.
Ebany: Additionally the niche for such ancient games as those on an Amiga would only be converted be a tiny group, most of us here would prefer slightly newer material.
skimmie: Is that really the case? (not debating your statement btw, merely curious why you would conclude this).
Some logical deduction, mostly arrogance :)

I guess deep down I know GoG's got all the most accessible old games, the one's left just aren't viable so I accept golden oldies like Hardwar will be out of my grasp. I have a copy of many of my old games but few of the floppy's work any-more. In fact I was just looking at my old SSI Pools of Radiance from 1988 *sigh*
Ebany: Don't pity me, I enjoy knowing my system will have no issues handling games like Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077.

toxicTom: But you're ever so Horny! :-P

(SCNR).
Are there blokes out there who aren't :D
Post edited June 04, 2014 by Ebany
There it is, Pools of Radiance.

500KB max upload, had to crop the sucker right down :/
Attachments:
Ebany: There it is, Pools of Radiance.

Ok, now I'm jealous :)
Amiga games with goodies... Instant buy but I fear that the legal issues around games like System Shock or No One Lives Forever are just kiddies compared to the ones linked to having Amiga games on GOG.com.
Greywolf2001ca: GOG should do what they originally did, get Good Old Games and stay away from new ones, especially today since most are made in a haste.
Right now, gog is putting a lot of "new" games on their site. Programmed by four people in a garage. While I do like that occasionally, it isn't too helpful to advance gog.com. I guess that most people who just wish for "old" stuff on GOG satisfy their modern gaming needs via Steam. Valve gets the money, GOG gets pennies. That platform concept won't fly.

GOG doesn't have a "winning recipe", they have a set of morals and a small fanbase with a brain.
Which means that stagnation is inevitable when growth is desperately needed.

To survive, GOG must naturally get fairly recent multi million dollar productions on their platform DRM free. The problem is: they simply don't. We will e.g. probably not see a product originally released via Uplay or Origin for at least a decade, and the other larger publishers seem to be extreeeeeemely happy with the PC = Steam equation.

GOG recently really tried to make releases more attractive to those larger publishers - with international pricing. That seems to have not worked at all, so they rescinded the idea. The question remains: What (besides the non negotiable DRM) could GOG offer the industry to take renewed interest in the platform?

All my fears and aversions aside, I'd be delighted if tomorrow's press conference provided an answer to the question. However, I'm fairly certain that 'just' a client or auto update functions will mean nothing to those larger publishers. I'm with you at least in the assessment that GOG shouldn't become Steam, and if the announcement tomorrow isn't something entirely unexpected and creative, that is still the direction.

Yet those newer games must come in force, better today than tomorrow. And I do want them here as well.
Post edited June 04, 2014 by Vainamoinen
Ebany: There it is, Pools of Radiance.

I actually have an XT legacy system that I use every now and then to play my entire collection of Gold Box games. Be really nice to see them on here though. Instabuy for sure. As for Amiga games, there are a few I would love to see on here as well as some C64 titles. Aliens comes to mind. Great game.