It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
trusteft: At first maybe, but later it will be used as a Trojan horse. "it's not DRM, you just need to have it running for good things like updates and stuff!, but yeah, you have to run it"

Trust me, my people created the very first. :p I know of one when I can see it.
JudasIscariot: Were the Trojans actually considered Greek at the time? Not too sure about my Greek history as I figured the Trojan horse was done back when Greece was still separated into city-states. Please correct me if I am wrong :)
The Trojan Horse was not built by Trojans. It was gifted to them by the Greeks outside.
The Greeks of the time didn't have so much the "city state" as the kingdoms. City states were "popular" a few centuries later. Yes, the Greeks of the time were not one state, but that doesn't really change anything. :)

Ebany: Funny enough the moral of the story in Homer's Odyssey is: Never trust a Greek offering gifts :)
Yes, and as I say, never trust anyone. Human or otherwise.
Post edited June 03, 2014 by trusteft
JudasIscariot: Were the Trojans actually considered Greek at the time? Not too sure about my Greek history as I figured the Trojan horse was done back when Greece was still separated into city-states. Please correct me if I am wrong :)
It's called a Trojan Horse, but it wasn't made by Trojans. :P
Vainamoinen: The auto updater can not be optional, as that's a feature that's undeniably meant to replace executable patch files. It will become mandatory as developers will immediately delay and then stop delivering actual patches or even patched original game files ("it works on Steam"). In my opinion, implementing an 'auto update' possibility factually means making it mandatory.
The Witcher 2 and Battle Worlds: Kronos both have automatic updaters. And guess what? You can still grab individual patches, and/or run the game unpatched.

Vainamoinen: "Automatic" here means a loss of control over the downloaded game files. It might be comfortable for some, but is clearly geared towards repeated and constant connection to the publisher's servers, always checking, scanning, updating, without bothering the player with actual info about it. Download once and archive all the patch files - a thing of the past. It's the opposite of what gog should stand for, i.e. the independence of game files from the publishing platform, all the while preserving the emergency feeling of the traditional 'patch'.
You may be interested to know that UPlay currently goes that way. When running the game, if it detects a patch, it downloads it and offers to run it and/or save it. Then on the next run, if it detects a newer patch, it does the same. So for Assassin's Creed III, you end up with an installer and 6 patches, and 4 or 5 DLC installers. No automatic downloading of everything and keeping them up to date.

So, should GOG try to copy UPlay, or should it take the good parts and implement them as they should be implemented?

Vainamoinen: Judging from 25 years of gaming experience, I'll say that less and less developers are willing to deliver a finished game;
25 years. So 2014-25 = 1989. And you have no recollection of critical bugs that games were shipped with, that did require day one patching, but they ended up being month 6 patches, simply because there wasn't a method to distribute the files. Not to mention game breaking bugs, that the patch wasn't compatible with previous saves (Quest for Glory 4, I'm looking at you).
Why should I have to manually manage 100s of patches?
I hope for the client, GOG people don't listen again to the people who advised them on the previous "well received" changes.

2 days to go.
Kristian: Why should I have to manually manage 100s of patches?
That depends on how many games you have. But right now, in order to conserve the essence of the DRM-Free movement, you need to install the patches or reinstall the game with the patches already done. However, on GOG, this is incredibly easy, download the patch, install it, delete the patch. That is literally all that is required. No configuration files, no temp files, nothing. And I still prefer this method to Steam.
trusteft: I hope for the client, GOG people don't listen again to the people who advised them on the previous "well received" changes.
Curious about this.
I recall the Regional pricing being seen as bad, and the site shutdown (which as I recall was an IT problem). What other changes are seen as bad?
trusteft: You are again saying things I didn't say. I never said all news have been bad news. I never said all GOG is trying to do is screw us. Once again, stop accusing me of saying things I never said.
If you want to be pessimist, optimist or anything else, it's up to you. I have the same right to be whatever I want too.
Don't forget that.
Ooops... Sorry if I sounded more harsh than I wanted. Although the reply was made to your post, it was more related to the global trend of negativity you find on forums you find these days (GOG still being mostly a safe haven thanks to its great community - the people I may not agree with included obviously).

I 100% agree with you on the fact that you can have your point of view and I surely did not meant to say the opposite. My point is that maybe we should wait the announcement before being over-negative (once again, this does not specifically concerns your posts but is more a feeling after reading through the previous pages for this thread).

If the announcement is the "good" news that GOG will sell Steam keys, require UPlay, multiply its prices by 10 and ask our fingerprint to give access to new big releases like "Watch_not_running_on_PC_Dogs" or "Call_of_Beauty_10" (hum, ok, maybe this one will be interesting), I'll promise that I won't be the last to come with my pitchfork.
If a nice client game out I would be happy. keeping it drm free and the current system of course.
Will TW3 cost €44.99 ( $61.99 ) for the non russian EU customers ?
trusteft: You are again saying things I didn't say. I never said all news have been bad news. I never said all GOG is trying to do is screw us. Once again, stop accusing me of saying things I never said.
If you want to be pessimist, optimist or anything else, it's up to you. I have the same right to be whatever I want too.
Don't forget that.
cal74: Ooops... Sorry if I sounded more harsh than I wanted. Although the reply was made to your post, it was more related to the global trend of negativity you find on forums you find these days (GOG still being mostly a safe haven thanks to its great community - the people I may not agree with included obviously).

I 100% agree with you on the fact that you can have your point of view and I surely did not meant to say the opposite. My point is that maybe we should wait the announcement before being over-negative (once again, this does not specifically concerns your posts but is more a feeling after reading through the previous pages for this thread).

If the announcement is the "good" news that GOG will sell Steam keys, require UPlay, multiply its prices by 10 and ask our fingerprint to give access to new big releases like "Watch_not_running_on_PC_Dogs" or "Call_of_Beauty_10" (hum, ok, maybe this one will be interesting), I'll promise that I won't be the last to come with my pitchfork.
No problem :)
JMich: ...the site shutdown (which as I recall was an IT problem). What other changes are seen as bad?
I thought he was referring to the time they announced GOG.com was closing down permanently. This turned out to be a PR stunt to get across the message that without DRM you could keep your installers no matter what. People weren't happy.

I think GOG's PR stunts have improved since then.
Nicole28: This is going to sound very weird, but it might be better to take to heart, from those who were there, fellow gamers that played the game and not liked it. A part of it is, I don't deny that my standing could be from misconceptions and bias-ness towards certain gaming elements that I'm not willing to correct, and thus might not be the most objective of opinions. Not to mention, possibly unfaithful too.
Since you yourself suspect some subjective bias, why not give it a try and see for yourself? You might as well like it. Of course if you didn't buy it yet it's some money, but GOG offers sales on the Witcher games and quite often you can get them very cheap.
trusteft: How about just sending a simple EMAIL to the owners of games which get an update? With the option to receive such an email every time there is an update or once a month/week..
No client will be necessary for updates.

The current system with having just an updated notification under My Games is easily missed, forgotten, glitchy. and it just works as a pressure point for the creation of a client.

I don't want more clients. I am sick of clients.
Yes x 10000000000.

We don't need a client. Email works perfectly. And I honestly don't trust GOG coders with a client. Clients are *hard*. GOGs coders are obviously too incompetent/overworked to get their website working. I'm not going to install a client from them. But automatic email isn't that hard.
Ebany: You are correct. I believe it's first mention was Homer's Odyssey, the attack on Troy. At this time it was all city-states.
Actually, no one knows. The Trojan war is traditionally linked with the Troy IV site. The Greek in question were Mycenean, whose political structures are unknown. While a large state is clearly excluded, it's not clear whether they were organised in city states as classical Greeks were. Homer obviously transposed contemporary concepts into his story. As for Trojans, they appear to have been indo-europeans, their language thought to be close to Luwian (Hittite ). They might have been one of the "sea people" . Or, as some archeological finds suggest, link with Danubian / Carpathian bronze age settlements.