It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
HypersomniacLive: Pretty sure that, even if it's accurate, this doesn't make them Steam-free. ಠ_ಠ
johnnygoging: so? what's your beef with steam? steam with no drm is no problem. other than the information that the client collects about its environment and sends to Valve, there is little in the way of harmful problems. maybe steam support would be harder to get results out of than gog's.
Steam is DRM, they actually specify this themselves. In their terms and conditions (or EULA) you will they refer to their
UI as Digital Rights Management & Social Networking software.

I bet it's going to be a movie!

Witcher or Cyberpunk movie ........ damnit, gunna have to change my pants now!
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Ebany
As you all can see by the picture, pre-orders are already available :)

Edit: What I forgot to mention is I took this photo on my phone a couple of months ago, they've pre-order deals on Cyberpunk 2077 too (EB Games have it online). I was taken by surprise as even CDPR & GoG don't have pre-orders available yet.
Attachments:
imag0301.jpg (140 Kb)
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Ebany
Ebany: As you all can see by the picture, pre-orders are already available :)
Fuck, that is expensive!

EDIT: Ah, my bad. I wrongly assumed it was Euro rather than Australian dollar.
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Darilon
johnnygoging: so? what's your beef with steam? steam with no drm is no problem. other than the information that the client collects about its environment and sends to Valve, there is little in the way of harmful problems. maybe steam support would be harder to get results out of than gog's.
As I've already said, I can't and won't support Steam's business model.
johnnygoging:
Just accept that people don't want to deal with that kind of stuff.

Some people like mayonnaise, some people don't. No amount of arguing will convince them otherwise.

The only time I'll personally deal with Steam is if I buy a super discounted box copy and have the code for it.
HypersomniacLive: As I've already said, I can't and won't support Steam's business model.
I agree with you.

Consumer buying is the most powerful tool on the free market, people should consider the effect their decisions have choose ethically. Companies like Steam can imitated consumer power, except their hive mind plans only for their own future.

An example would be here in Australia where the big Supermarket chains screwed the Diary Farmers so they could reduce their milk prices to $1 per litre. They have been successful and almost totally squashed out the free trade prices on milk. Short term savings are great as these chains take up the cost, long term it's really really really bad for the consumer and the producer.

It's like me saying you could have $5 today or $30 at the end of the week, the short sighted greedy will always take the $5. That's why buying specials on Steam is like an addiction for them.

So by imitating consumers with their spending power, but having a cohesion consumers never achieve, companies like Steam can monopolise the market and then charge what ever they like.

Already companies like Egosoft, Deepsilver, Slitherine, etc., are now solely Steam ....... anyone who buys into that model is a 7 second retard.
CD Projekt RED & GOG.com please let GOG have some exclusive goodies which are only available with GOG TW3 pre orders - just give Steam the basic crap (sorry i like my exclusives...)
Ebany: Already companies like Egosoft, Deepsilver, Slitherine, etc., are now solely Steam ....... anyone who buys into that model is a 7 second retard.
Except Slitherine had never been on Steam before til recently (im almost sure this is correct and one other game because people begged on their forums - douchebags) - and most of their games are non Steam.
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Niggles
Maighstir: The proprietary "backup feature" can easily be ignored simply by copying the files yourself. Several games can be copied this way and run without Steam (I don't know about Lucasarts, but here's a list).
Ignoring the feature isn't any different than ignoring DRM in general (by breaking it). It doesn't make Steam DRM free. We are talking about official tools, not about workarounds.
Niggles: CD Projekt RED & GOG.com please let GOG have some exclusive goodies which are only available with GOG TW3 pre orders - just give Steam the basic crap (sorry i like my exclusives...)
Ebany: Already companies like Egosoft, Deepsilver, Slitherine, etc., are now solely Steam ....... anyone who buys into that model is a 7 second retard.
Niggles: Except Slitherine had never been on Steam before til recently (im almost sure this is correct and one other game because people begged on their forums - douchebags) - and most of their games are non Steam.
This is true, and Egosoft was the same with all their titles until recently. Games like X:Tension, X:2, X:3TC, etc., I bought as physical copies (still have them) which were independent of Steam, the only catch was you needed to register your CD Key online to get updates which is fine by me.

But now Egosoft is Steam exclusive (X:Rebirth), by this I mean it can't be played independent of the Steam UI. Recently I email them as to why I'd seen their games appear on Steam and not on other distributor sites (e.g. GoG), the response I got suggested that the companies future model was to start releasing all new games on Steam while slowly migrating their old games over. I was after Distant Galaxies, but after discovering how easily Steam can delete an account with over 500 games for apparent use of a VPN ..... let's just say I'll play the games I have on Steam but never ever purchase another which solely requires it.

I also notice a person can't sell items through their "Digital Trade" system unless they have made a recent purchase from Steam, they say this is due to "security" reasons .......
I smell free games incoming... but of course for a limited 48-hours time.. and the server will be overloaded.
Maighstir: The proprietary "backup feature" can easily be ignored simply by copying the files yourself. Several games can be copied this way and run without Steam (I don't know about Lucasarts, but here's a list).
shmerl: Ignoring the feature isn't any different than ignoring DRM in general (by breaking it). It doesn't make Steam DRM free. We are talking about official tools, not about workarounds.
Ignoring an optional feature isn't breaking anything. You're not modifying or removing any game files. Applying a patch to make it run without Steam would be, and I'd argue that even removing steam_api.dll (if the game has alternate functions if that file is removed but requires Steam if it's present) is "cracking" or "patching away Steam", but copying the game folder as-is is not.
Post edited June 01, 2014 by Maighstir
I care about bad attitude of Steam which is enough for me to avoid it altogether. If their official backup tool requires DRM while manually it's not needed it's simply lame and idiotic. It means they can drop DRM from the official tool and it won't make any difference. And since they don't, it's insulting for their users.
Post edited June 01, 2014 by shmerl
Ebany: I bet it's going to be a movie!

Witcher or Cyberpunk movie ........ damnit, gunna have to change my pants now!
Please, don't put words movie and Witcher in one sentence. I'm still trying forget about it's existence.
Post edited June 01, 2014 by Sacr3dus
high rated
Is this discussion still not settled?

@Steam refusers: Stop arguing the DRM angle that much.

It is up to every hosting service whether they'd like to offer DRM to their business clients, and it's up to the customers whether they will accept that. That's not really among Steam's major problems, at least not for me personally. I don't buy DRM'd products and won't install a sales/marketing platform on my PC ("Steam Client"), but in principle, I have no beef with companies which find customers who do.

@Steam refusers: Here's a smallish list of angles you could argue instead, because these points affect non Steam users as well.

Steam represents an uncontestable monopoly that shapes the market like a console manufacturer would - without any of the production costs Microsoft and Sony bear, with nowhere near their employees and without any moral justification for that influence on the market.

As a mere third party provider of hosting services, Steam has inserted itself between customer and developer in a way that the developer's survival hinges on his "getting on Steam". The internet has provided vast opportunities for game developers to sell their products; the utter shortsightedness of PC gamers has basically narrowed millions down to one.

Steam readily destroys any possible competition with extremely low bulk prices for keys; insipid PC customers are already used to receiving a Steam key wherever they buy. If they were interested in the survival of the platform, they would instead reject that "bonus" key.

Steam tricks greedy competitors into becoming "key resellers" (which is such a ridiculous thing to do I don't even) and has e.g. already destroyed Humble Inc. as a promising competitor with the perverse and unprecedented practice.

Steam is a service that factually lets PC game prices plummet ridiculously (it's just wonderful how Double Fine recently protested loudly without saying "Steam" once), which does threaten particularly smaller developers.

Steam advocates infantile 'social' instant gratification mechanisms and forced community building with "achievements", collectible cards and similar bogus virtual toys and community activities. Ubisoft and EA are trying the same mechanisms right now, but somehow their customers still do recognize that it's bullshit.

Steam forces its client, account registration, DRM and update services on retail products, which essentially makes those obsolete.

Steam ridicules Kickstarter developers who promise "freedom from publishers" but then run into the arms of the largest and most influential game publisher immediately.

Steam is operated by a skeleton crew already and strongly develops in the direction of a service that doesn't support any paid employees at all.

Steam openly rejects any kind of responsibility for the products sold, which finds its crowning achievement in the fundamentally irresponsible Early Access service; refunds or support ought to be perceived as an act of grace by their customers.

Steam is situated in a country the government of which routinely justifies the factual global 1984 reality with the war against terror AND continuously has to shift blame for frequent shootings away from its barbarous gun laws to violent video games. In other words: If I were the NSA, the very first online service I'd force into complete data submission compliance would be Steam.

Steam customers are unwilling to understand that a single relevant monopolous game publisher for the entire PC platform doesn't spell its salvation, but its doom.
Post edited June 02, 2014 by Vainamoinen
Sacr3dus: Please, don't put words movie and Witcher in one sentence. I'm still trying forget about it's existence.
The fact that series were bad doesn't mean they couldn't be good. I see no problem with putting that in one sentence.
Vainamoinen: Is this discussion still not settled?
I disagree. Besides lock-in issues of Steamworks, Steam proliferates DRM. I.e. simply by selling games from publishers who insist on it. It's enough to avoid it and support those who advance DRM-free distribution.
Post edited June 01, 2014 by shmerl