It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
Hmm sensational, exciting, new game changer...I just hope it's gonna be something good for us.
jamotide: game changer
When exactly did this become the new buzzword?
CeeKay: of course, if it is indeed Lucasarts, I hope it is games outside of what has been available on Steam already. If it turns out to be just the games we can already get and not stuff like Maniac Mansion or X-Wing I'll be disappointed. Sure, it would be great for GOG to have the Jedi Knight games, The Dig, LOOM, and Indiana Jones series, but something unavailable would be nice.
jcoa: With a cliffhanger ending that is only resolved in a mobile phone-only game!
CeeKay: How about The wIIItcher?
Nah. That ship has sailed. It should have been The WIIItcher I, then The WIItcher II, and finally The WItcher III, alas we're yet to develop time-travel to fix that ;-)
CeeKay: of course, if it is indeed Lucasarts, I hope it is games outside of what has been available on Steam already. If it turns out to be just the games we can already get and not stuff like Maniac Mansion or X-Wing I'll be disappointed. Sure, it would be great for GOG to have the Jedi Knight games, The Dig, LOOM, and Indiana Jones series, but something unavailable would be nice.

How about The wIIItcher?
G-Doc: Nah. That ship has sailed. It should have been The WIIItcher I, then The WIItcher II, and finally The WItcher III, alas we're yet to develop time-travel to fix that ;-)
And, perhaps, The Wtcher IV? (Or "The Wtcher IIII", that's fine too, the Romans were inconsistent on how to express "4")
G-Doc: Nah. That ship has sailed. It should have been The WIIItcher I, then The WIItcher II, and finally The WItcher III, alas we're yet to develop time-travel to fix that ;-)
Maighstir: And, perhaps, The Wtcher IV? (Or "The Wtcher IIII", that's fine too, the Romans were inconsistent on how to express "4")
It is supposed to be the last Witcher?
The world is going to be big and open ended this time, which doesn't mean there cannot be an extension with foreign islands at some point? :)
liamphoenix: I only do "early access" for games that come with a DRM-Free version and a bonus Steam key. As much as I don't like being stuck using Steam it does have its good points, and patching an alpha release without the headache is one of them.
Let me get this straight: You buy Steam games in a Steam alpha version from Steam Early Access exclusively because Steam can patch the Steam game accordingly one day via Steam, but you would possibly also sink so low as to buy an alpha version of a game from an actually different service than Steam provided the service you frequent has a financial agreement with Steam and therefore gives their customers a "bonus" Steam version as well.

And that is Early Access in a nutshell. It works for Valve and only ever for Valve.
One of many fundamental reasons why GOG shouldn't do it.

gbaz69: and people think.... gasp... Borderlands is an rpg. It is not and rpg. A tacked on level up system doesn't make thee a rpg.
Well, the term RPG, in computer gaming, has come to denote character stats and level ups. That's not surprising as it can't have its original p&p meaning any more. The term "role playing" means pretend, improvise, make believe, acting even - which as such requires a responsive audience. The computer isn't one, and wouldn't appreciate your improv skills anyway, so "role playing" in its actual meaning can never take place in a single player game.
Vainamoinen: The term "role playing" means pretend, improvise, make believe, acting even - which as such requires a responsive audience. The computer isn't one, and wouldn't appreciate your improv skills anyway, so "role playing" in its actual meaning can never take place in a single player game.
It's wrong, because computer can react on your actions. Nothing stops authors from making a better AI. So roleplaying can apply to single player games as well. Of course it can't reach the level of roleplaying with real people (that's why various MUDs and MMORPGs have more potential for roleplaying and are closer analog to pen and paper RPGs). But still, single player game can approach that to some degree too.

Anyway, Witcher games aren't really pure RPGs genre wise. I'd call them action / adventure RPGs.

johnnygoging: I guess it's just as likely that it was Lucasarts that did this and not Valve. that is stupid, though. it's not like the games will sell huge to people because they're old. if they want to make money off an old game it they shouldn't make it hard.
I'm not sure how exactly that happened and whether it was Lucasarts or both Lucasarts and Valve. But I agree that it was very lame for them to cripple the game in order to make it unplayable in Scummvm.

Making one merged release would be nice. So far I usually play the CD version (with voiced dialogs) or the FM towns version (no voice but full dialogs and close up character portraits). Both games can be still found on disks on e-bay at times. Getting them on GOG would be wonderful.
Post edited May 30, 2014 by shmerl
6 days to go.
I'd like to watch the stream, but I hope there won't be spoilers, I'm still quite Witcher-less..
(got the first, but I have yet to play it)
johnnygoging: pretty sure the lucasarts games don't have any drm.
Pretty sure that, even if it's accurate, this doesn't make them Steam-free. ಠ_ಠ
Holy crap! This is ploughing good news! My most wanted game since May 2011 is The Witcher 3. I'm so there for the conference!

GOG has many good games but it isn't always easy to see when the games you want are on sale, we are spoiled by many of the features Steam posses. I prefer DRM free games though and I prefer buying the games on GOG so when I also read that, besides Witcha goodness, we get GOG goodies too? Awesome. This is really exciting.

I hope you have some great TW3 trailer for E3 too, like an extended version so we can get a badass trailer there too.

Over at Favslist.com in the Most Anticipated Games of E3 2014 category, The Witcher 3 is the most anticipated, followed by Mass Effect 4 and Batman: Arkham Knight. Might be fun for you to see how the list is progressing. :)
Post edited May 30, 2014 by The_Immortal
johnnygoging: pretty sure the lucasarts games don't have any drm.
HypersomniacLive: Pretty sure that, even if it's accurate, this doesn't make them Steam-free. ಠ_ಠ
so? what's your beef with steam? steam with no drm is no problem. other than the information that the client collects about its environment and sends to Valve, there is little in the way of harmful problems. maybe steam support would be harder to get results out of than gog's.
johnnygoging: so? what's your beef with steam? steam with no drm is no problem. other than the information that the client collects about its environment and sends to Valve, there is little in the way of harmful problems. maybe steam support would be harder to get results out of than gog's.
Steam has DRM because its backup tool requires the service to install the game which you backed up.
Post edited May 30, 2014 by shmerl
OH OH OH OH, I just thought of this, by the hint perhaps......the Elite series?
pleaaaaaaasse!!!
johnnygoging: so? what's your beef with steam? steam with no drm is no problem. other than the information that the client collects about its environment and sends to Valve, there is little in the way of harmful problems. maybe steam support would be harder to get results out of than gog's.
shmerl: Steam has DRM because its backup tool requires the service to install the game which you backed up.
No, a game on Steam uses Steam's DRM if it cannot be run without Steam. The proprietary "backup feature" can easily be ignored simply by copying the files yourself. Several games can be copied this way and run without Steam (I don't know about Lucasarts, but here's a list).
Post edited May 31, 2014 by Maighstir