It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
CeeKay: ...
jcoa: With a cliffhanger ending that is only resolved in a mobile phone-only game!
CeeKay: How about The WIIItcher?
That's not a bad idea, Abe!
CeeKay: of course, if it is indeed Lucasarts, I hope it is games outside of what has been available on Steam already. If it turns out to be just the games we can already get and not stuff like Maniac Mansion or X-Wing I'll be disappointed. Sure, it would be great for GOG to have the Jedi Knight games, The Dig, LOOM, and Indiana Jones series, but something unavailable would be nice.

[...]
HypersomniacLive: FWIW - for us strictly DRM-free folks, all of the LucasArts games are unavailable.
pretty sure the lucasarts games don't have any drm.
gandalf.nho: To me Borderlands is the same genre as Diablo, but in first person, not isometric, same with titles like Hellgate London
gbaz69: Have you played Borderlands? It has no base stats like strength, charisma, etc., and it only only 1 activatable skill per person (all other *cough* "skills", are passive modifications).
At least Diablo is more rpg then Borderlands will ever be. Diablo has base stats, many activatable spells/skills.
(both games have a loot system, and tiny/generic quests.. and Borderlands has next to no lore/story.)

I would class Diablo as an action-rpg and Borderlands as ONLY first-person shooter.
Yes, I played and I agree about being less RPG than Diablo but can be considered a hybrid FPS/lite ARPG
CeeKay: of course, if it is indeed Lucasarts, I hope it is games outside of what has been available on Steam already. If it turns out to be just the games we can already get and not stuff like Maniac Mansion or X-Wing I'll be disappointed. Sure, it would be great for GOG to have the Jedi Knight games, The Dig, LOOM, and Indiana Jones series, but something unavailable would be nice.
They are not available for those who don't use Steam. And a lot of GOG users don't.

johnnygoging: pretty sure the lucasarts games don't have any drm.
They aren't available outside Steam. And I've heard that Steam version of Loom is crippled in order not to be playable in Scummvm. That alone is not any better than DRM.
Post edited May 29, 2014 by shmerl
Hopefully it is Lucasarts. X-Wing vs T-Fighter would be nice to play.

Or maybe just maybe Blizzard and Diablo.

Probably wishful thinking but you never know :)
Post edited May 29, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus:
I would imagine that Disney is more rational and willing to listen to hard statistics than some of the old-line too dug into this one industry types are.
Well it depends, Disney is known for their drm-only policy as much as Blizzard. But at the end Disney will probably see the profit in it.
Post edited May 29, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Well it depends, Disney is known for their drm-only policy as much as Blizzard.
Yeah, it really does.

On one hand I could see them being like: oh, it doesn't really matter, statistically the games have been/will still be pirated anyway.
Then on the other it's not terribly surprising to see them be/stay full Team America.

Just gotta keep the fingers crossed.
I too hope that announcement GOG.com is hinting at is Lucas Arts, but it will probably be Homeworld coming to GOG.com.
I would not tend interpret "We've got something new coming to our service later this year and we would like to show you what is it going to be all about." as a new publisher. More details about Linux, possibly.
BadDecissions: I would not tend interpret "We've got something new coming to our service later this year and we would like to show you what is it going to be all about." as a new publisher. More details about Linux, possibly.
This is what GOG.com wrote on their blog:"Mark the date in your calendars: June 5, 6:00PM GMT!

CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference streaming live with some BIG announcements: New Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-order details; GOG.com unveils new project; New addition to Witcherverse! Join us on June 5, 6:00PM GMT!

After the live-streamed Witcher-fest, stay tuned for one more sensational message from GOG.com itself. We’ve got something new and absolutely game-changing coming to our service later this year and we would like to show you what is it going to be all about. There’s a whole new galaxy of possibilities coming towards you, dear GOGgers, and we’ll be giving you more than just a sneak-peek during our RED/GOG June 5 livestream!

Drop by GOG.com on June 5, 6:00PM GMT to watch the stream, see it right here, on the GOG.com Blog, or join us in one of the many places it will be broadcasted (we’ll give you the details soon)."
Post edited May 29, 2014 by megarock58
New project definitely can't mean a new publisher (it wouldn't be called a project). It means some feature that GOG didn't offer yet. For example update manager, new operating system supported like Android (regular Linux was already pre-announced so I doubt it's what they mean) or something the like. I'd guess new galaxy of possibilities hints at Android and mobile games. After all, Humble Store already offers them, so GOG might want to catch up.

Actually, if you look at GOG's plans for 2013, they said they had 2 R&D projects in the pipeline. One of them was Linux support most probably which they already announced, and the second one they'll announce on June 5th.

All of the above is really catching up. GOG can still surprise us and offer something very innovative that other competitors don't do at all. That kind of announcement could be more exciting. But even catching up is good.
Post edited May 29, 2014 by shmerl
IAmSinistar: Most of the "what will the surprise be" guesses emanate from the poster's personal wish (or fear). So let me continue that pattern and say the announcement will be a GOG/Cloanto deal to bring Amiga games to GOG.
NOO! Please not! I would be broke and divorced within a day!
shmerl: New project definitely can't mean a new publisher (it wouldn't be called a project). It means some feature that GOG didn't offer yet.
This!
shmerl: They are not available for those who don't use Steam. And a lot of GOG users don't.

johnnygoging: pretty sure the lucasarts games don't have any drm.
shmerl: They aren't available outside Steam. And I've heard that Steam version of Loom is crippled in order not to be playable in Scummvm. That alone is not any better than DRM.
so you are right about this. not sure how I feel about that. if they were going to intentionally cripple the game so it cannot be run in scummvm, then they should have at least released one to be worth the extra trouble, with both the audio and the full text dialogue with the option to choose, along with the full compliment of 256bit graphics, and the deleted scene perhaps. Instead they just shove one up and oh, by the way, we've screwed those who don't run windows out of the ability to play the game anyway. what is the point? you can download the original versions anywhere I'd imagine. I guess it's just as likely that it was Lucasarts that did this and not Valve. that is stupid, though. it's not like the games will sell huge to people because they're old. if they want to make money off an old game it they shouldn't make it hard.