It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
Who the heck was that announcer guy? He might be my favorite deep voiced man ever.
The more I hear about Witcher 3 the more I want to preorder it, although I haven't finished the second one (the first installment had less QTE and that got me hooked for longer) and I think I will have to buy a new gaming laptop for sure (my current one is 4 years old but plays Witcher 2 very well).
Anyway thanks for putting the countdown timer - so I will know when the presentation is due and I'm glad that gog is constantly developing and improving, so that's why they are number 2 in video games distribution and they will stay this way.
plan99: No need for a deal with Cloanto, though, since UAE is free - the games, kickstarts roms (Workbench in some cases), etc aren't.
IAmSinistar: That's why GOG would need a deal with Cloanto. Cloanto owns and licenses the Kickstart ROMs, which emulation doesn't function without.

So Cloanto has to be involved. What's odd is that I have heard time again that Cloanto is actually interested in such a partnership. Either the rumours are wrong or it's complicated by other factors.
Wow, I've been out of the loop for a loooong time, I guess. I had no idea Cloanto owned the Kickstart roms - last I knew was when I bought Amiga Forever and it had licensed and encrypted Kickstarts included.

That's interesting about Cloanto looking at a partnership, then. I don't really expect much to come of AROS. AmigaOS and other cult OSs (BeOS) have tried too many times and for too long to make me think they're going to get anywhere before I'm dead. ;)
tfishell: Cool!

I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to a hint for a new publisher. I thought/hoped, with "behind-the-scenes" regional pricing, we would by now have seen at least a few of Take 2's DRM-free titles (namely the original X-Com games) show up, but maybe a "GOG Wallet" still needs to be implemented? (Maybe that's what the surprise is? :)

My guess is more towards a client or whatever will help GOG customers get updates more easily. Cool beans for sure, but I'll be more excited if GOG can relate that to some highly-desired games. "With this new client and multiplayer system, we will now be bringing you *dum dum dum* the Homeworld games! Thanks Gearbox!"

Yeah I really don't get why the staff haven't figured that out by now. -_0
Shambhala: Won't it be Linux support?
Since they already announced it I don't see why it would be hyped up again.
Shambhala: Won't it be Linux support?
tfishell: Since they already announced it I don't see why it would be hyped up again.
Can be Witcher 3 on Linux ;)
I sure hope the new feature coming to GOG doesn't require any of us to dust off our pitchforks to light.
tfishell: Since they already announced it I don't see why it would be hyped up again.
shmerl: Can be Witcher 3 on Linux ;)
Frankly I would facepalm if that were the big announcement, essentially making the whole conference about The Witcher 3. I'd be fine with that being an announcement, but I wouldn't want that to be the new project that GOG unveils. :P
Post edited May 28, 2014 by tfishell
I suspect the new project is some new updater client. By the way, if anyone is interested, vote for such thing to be open source (if it ever arrives):

https://secure.gog.com/wishlist/site/release_the_future_gog_updater_client_as_open_source
On the GOGblog there's a post about Alan Moore, just before the conference announcement. They've posted random funny/awesome stuff before, but still, curious that they would post this just now. I guess digital comics on GOG.com would qualify as "something new and absolutely game-changing" and "a whole new galaxy of possibilities coming towards you". Then again, it could be completely unrelated.
jkiiskinen: On the GOGblog there's a post about Alan Moore, just before the conference announcement. They've posted random funny/awesome stuff before, but still, curious that they would post this just now. I guess digital comics on GOG.com would qualify as "something new and absolutely game-changing" and "a whole new galaxy of possibilities coming towards you". Then again, it could be completely unrelated.
That would be pretty disappointing since the hype has been built around games. Frankly I'd rather see game music sold here before digital comics unless somehow the comics were related to games.

I'd like to think "galaxy" is a hint because GOG didn't say "world" as is the normal phrase. To me that could point towards multiplayer, and perhaps a confirmation that the Homeworld games will show up here (which would certainly excite me).

Or maybe it will be an emulator of some kind or even some sort of GOGOS (GOS) to help run classic titles that would otherwise be really tough to run.

But a better update system is probably where GOG probably should focus their efforts.

Unless this "game-changer" does actually mean some great titles will show up here, it's too bad nothing about good old games or even highly-desired new games (aside from W3 of course) will apparently be talked about.
plan99: Wow, I've been out of the loop for a loooong time, I guess. I had no idea Cloanto owned the Kickstart roms - last I knew was when I bought Amiga Forever and it had licensed and encrypted Kickstarts included.

That's interesting about Cloanto looking at a partnership, then. I don't really expect much to come of AROS. AmigaOS and other cult OSs (BeOS) have tried too many times and for too long to make me think they're going to get anywhere before I'm dead. ;)
Well, I was simplifying a bit, because the rights are actually a right mess (sorry). Take a look at the more detailed breakdown on the Kickstart ROM ownership pool. A whole bunch of folks, including Cloanto, "sort of" own the Kickstarts. I see now why licensing them is not an easy thing - it seems like every industrial nation has a different vested company involved.

BeOS was pretty cool looking, but I think the day of the Amiga has passed (except for the games and the occasional cool use of a Video Toaster). Attempts to revive it or spin it off are pretty much doomed to failure. Nevertheless, it will remain in my heart the greatest computer ever. As I and my friends used to say, Amiga stands for "Ah Me, It's God Almighty!". :)
must be the site rewrite. still, the way they talk about it makes me think there might be something else to it. it's not a client, not yet. piotr from the way he talked about it on the stream made it seem as though there wasn't anything implemented yet, though, could have been just some pr phrasing. I wonder if there is some big new feature to the site that they've implemented. couldn't think it would just be for mods would it? I think perhaps it's some kind of community feature-set and mods could be easily involved. what was the point of that partnership a while ago, then? to lure users from a previously existing modding community?

anyway as for the new game in the witcher universe, I'm gonna say it's an RTS. I bet it's an RTS. or perhaps a stealth game. but I think it's an RTS. could be something smaller though. but if it is RTS, that's pretty big.
You know, I'm still holding you guys to the comments you made in 2012 about a new, "big five" publisher being teased at your next conference.
There's a few big publishers that haven't come on-board yet. It would be nice to hear that GOG have inked deals with them, but I'm not expecting that news. They're apparently tough nuts to crack, or they would already be here by now.

gibbeynator: You know, I'm still holding you guys to the comments you made in 2012 about a new, "big five" publisher being teased at your next conference.
I think I remember that now that you mentioned it. It just faded away into oblivion, didn't it? :D
Post edited May 28, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
gibbeynator: You know, I'm still holding you guys to the comments you made in 2012 about a new, "big five" publisher being teased at your next conference.
I thought that was LucasArts who they came really close to signing before Disney boffed things up. (That's what I got out of bits and pieces of info here and there.)