It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Yeah, I was holding my breath for this release. And it sucks.

I built 2 new machines (my BF and myself) in December. I've always used nvidia cards before, but AMD chips had the better cost-to-performance listings this time about, and I'd heard fewer bad things about them lately, so I gave them a try. A Radeon 7790 in each.

Performance is great. Except the system randomly reboots. (No blue screen; just cursor stops for a moment, then the system reboots. Nothing in Windows logs except a note that the previous boot ended unexpectedly.) This ONLY happens when the graphics card drivers are installed. The cards run fine without the drivers. Other cards run fine in the system. It's pretty simple: install the drivers, deal with random reboots. Don't have the drivers, everything's happy.

I was really hoping this new version would have fixed it, but it certainly has not.
Post edited April 28, 2014 by mqstout
mqstout: Yeah, I was holding my breath for this release. And it sucks.

I built 2 new machines (my BF and myself) in December. I've always used nvidia cards before, but AMD chips had the better cost-to-performance listings this time about, and I'd heard fewer bad things about them lately, so I gave them a try. A Radeon 7790 in each.

Performance is great. Except the system randomly reboots. (No blue screen; just cursor stops for a moment, then the system reboots. Nothing in Windows logs except a note that the previous boot ended unexpectedly.) This ONLY happens when the graphics card drivers are installed. The cards run fine without the drivers. Other cards run fine in the system. It's pretty simple: install the drivers, deal with random reboots. Don't have the drivers, everything's happy.

I was really hoping this new version would have fixed it, but it certainly has not.
You might have the system set to reboot immediately on System Failure. If you want to actually read the BSOD you have to disable the automatic restart.

It should make a minidump and put an event in the event viewer, it might give you a clue where the fault is coming from.

I'd also run Memtest 386 overnight and make sure the RAM is fine before you blame the drivers. New RAM can be kinda flaky even if you are running it at it's rated speeds. Increasing the RAM timings might be enough to solve your problems.
Well, if you think Catalyst for Windows is bad, give it a try on Linux, more specifically on Arch Linux... it is terrible. Unfortunately one has to use these drivers, since then open source ones are not even close in performance when it comes to complex 3D.
Knofbath: snip
Nope. Certainly not it. It halts mid-process, no blue screen happens. Of course the stupid auto-reboot is off. Bugcheck=0 on the reboots, so Windows logs no fault. And yes, everything's been tested. Full disk readwrite everywhere tests, full RAM tests, full burn-in tests on the CPU. The problems only creep up when the AMD video drivers are installed with these cards. Other cards are fine. These cards work fine without the drivers (and in XP/Win7 -- only seems to be 8's version of the driver).
Urnoev: Well, if you think Catalyst for Windows is bad, give it a try on Linux, more specifically on Arch Linux... it is terrible. Unfortunately one has to use these drivers, since then open source ones are not even close in performance when it comes to complex 3D.
Yeah, I've tried to install the drivers without CCC and I can't, because the defaults have the monitor severely underscanned, and I need CCC to fix that.
Post edited May 05, 2014 by mqstout
So uh, what are the latest stable drivers again?

I just wiped Windows clean and would like to know what to install so I don't get crashes. >_>
Foxhack: So uh, what are the latest stable drivers again?
I just wiped Windows clean and would like to know what to install so I don't get crashes. >_>
The latest stable version is 14.4, previous stable version was 13.12

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

So far, I've been using this version 14.4 since day 1 in more than 15 games, with no issues at all.
Haven't tried it yet, but I've checked the forums at AMD and they've aknowledged that there are issues. They recommend doing a BIOS update (apparently the reason behind the crashes).

Haven't tried it myself, but can anyone confirm if that possible solution works?
I'm one of those affected by the AHCI problem, it causes the computer to hang on boot at the Windows logo screen. Fortunately the Windows Boot Repair tool works fine and does a System Restore to get rid of the driver.

AMD removed the drivers from the download, but if you tried the driver before, then the files are still in the directory that you unpacked them to. Either delete the C:\AMD\Support directory before unpacking the new driver download, or choose custom install and uncheck the AHCI driver update(and Raptr, fuck that shit).

I haven't really had any problems with the new driver since then. System uptime is going on 6 days, and I was running Batman:Arkham Asylum fine last night(not an amazing stress test, but it does work my card a little).

Edit: It finally crashed at 9 days uptime, watching a video on Vimeo did it in.
Post edited May 11, 2014 by Knofbath
Nvidia isn't faring much better for me. It must be the time for crappy drivers because the latest nvidia drivers causes kernel driver crashes on my video card, but funnily enough 332.21 works fine so far.
So it should be safe now? :o
^If anyone knows. Cause BSODs/Boot issues would suck. :P
I installed 14.4 and haven't had a single issue yet.

I'm getting a new video card soon but I doubt I'll have any issues.
My policy with drivers is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" AMD screwed up my old Redhat install back in the day!
Knofbath: I'm one of those affected by the AHCI problem, it causes the computer to hang on boot at the Windows logo screen. Fortunately the Windows Boot Repair tool works fine and does a System Restore to get rid of the driver.

AMD removed the drivers from the download, but if you tried the driver before, then the files are still in the directory that you unpacked them to. Either delete the C:\AMD\Support directory before unpacking the new driver download, or choose custom install and uncheck the AHCI driver update(and Raptr, fuck that shit)..
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try this :)
MaximumBunny: ^If anyone knows. Cause BSODs/Boot issues would suck. :P
The current version of the 14.4 driver has the AHCI stuff removed and works fine for me.
Since I used to have BSODs with the separate AHCI driver, it seems to be safe now.

Until they add it again in some future version.
Post edited May 12, 2014 by user deleted