It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's middle of the summer vacations, so the pace has slowed down a bit. Well, looking at all the promos we're running and the recent releases you can't really say it's "silly season" at GOG.com, but you know what we mean. We decided to take a more in-depth look at the games we've released, especially the ones from Electronic Arts, and chat with some of the developers that made those classics.

Thanks to our own Silencer - Vagabond - we got in touch with Tony Zurovec, the lead designer of Crusader games, and asked him some questions about these awesome classics. As we love getting you involved in pretty much everything we do, we'd like you to ask your questions about Crusader: No Remorse to Tony. We'll pick 5 most interesting ones and forward them to him to get the answers, while the authors of those questions will receive a GOG.com game of their choice(this includes the awesome The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings!). Post your questions in the comments section until end of Sunday, July 24th.
Roman5: wait a second....didnt this thread have 13 pages previously? how did it become 9 pages?
tburger: If you are logged out it has 12 pages, after log-in - you see 9
Depends on how many messages you set to be displayed per page in your account settings. It has four pages for me.
Post edited July 21, 2011 by Mnemon
If you were able to make changes to the plot and/or add multiple endings, what would they be?
How exactly did you decide what WOULDN'T be possible in the game? Did you work methodically, deciding what actions you would and would not allow in the game, or did you just create a basic set of objects and then decide how they would interact?
Straight to the point: Why the main protagonist's armor is red? Was it on purpose for the player to remember him? Was it a design choice?
If you were given the budget, time and man power to create a new Crusader game how would you go about updating it for the current audience?

Alot of updates of older franchises often completely discard the game mechanics of their older entries. Such as Fallout to Fallout 3 or Xcom to XCOM 2011. Do you think there is a way to make an isometric shooter palatable to modern audiences or would you go with something more contemporary?
why's there no penatly for killing civilians (engineers)
1.) What is your name?
2.) What is your quest?
3.) What is your favourite color?

(But since we know first answer, ask this instead: Who shot first?)
I'm afraid I don't have a real question, so... bear with me here, did you ever consider having more remorse and regret in the Crusader games than was present in the final product?

I mean, it's completely understandable why one would have little remorse or regret in that situation, but to have none at all, to the point that it's in the title, surely you must have contemplated having a just a little more remorse and regret in the game. Perhaps even making a retelling of the original game, called "Crusader: No Revenge", where our hero decides that he just doesn't have it in him to fight back, no matter how much he'd been wronged. I mean, yeah, it'd be pretty fucking awful, but all the best games get parodied, right? ;)
tburger: If you are logged out it has 12 pages, after log-in - you see 9
Mnemon: Depends on how many messages you set to be displayed per page in your account settings. It has four pages for me.
O... yes, now I see this. Thx.
Until GOG fixed it, this game was almost impossible to get to run on a modern windows system. For some, the graphics engine was developed in a way that made it unstable (Ultima VIII engine), but for many more, it was a question of the audio, the unique "Asylum Sound System". How did you choose these engines? Was it an issue when it was developed or is this merely a modern OS problem? Did you try other engines or did the company only owe the rights in these?
What were the most memorable parts of Crusader: No Remorse and Regret for you and why?
1) How did you record the voice of burning victims?

It' sounds so painful, so agonizing, it haunts me in my sleep... I sure feel remorse afterwards, but then I'm no silencer.

2) Was it ever an option to have breakable walls? So much of the game focuses on destruction and explosions, that it would seem a logical step.
If you were to develop the game today what piece of modern gaming technology would you most like to implement into the game?
Edenprime: why's there no penatly for killing civilians (engineers)
Cannon-fodder... :) Every war has them.
What was the development envrionment at EA like back in the mid 1990's and how is it different today? Games like Crusader are still being made, but most of that development is currently being done in smaller independent studios. Could you talk about the rise of the small indie studio and how games like Crusader may have influenced them? Crusader had a much smaller development team than those employed by current AAA games. How do the constraints of a small development team inform the final game?

(As a footnote: I'm an indie developer who has been inspired by Crusader!)
Post edited July 22, 2011 by midloo