It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mqstout: That's because it [disk check] is not actually DRM. (But yeah, Steam's an awful thing and I really wish it'd vanish.)
And in come the people arguing semantics about the definition and quoting the flawed Wikipedia article, completely ignoring the fact that DRM as a term was never even used before online activation...
jamyskis: And in come the people arguing semantics about the definition and quoting the flawed Wikipedia article, completely ignoring the fact that DRM as a term was never even used before online activation...
You know all-encompassing terms often come around later in the lifecycle, right? Maybe to you it just means online DRM. To people dealing with copyright protection, that's only part of it.
So how about this ? :

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121105/17594020942/when-mouse-requires-internet-connection-youre-doing-cloud-wrong.shtml

My Mouse died this weekend so I've been shopping for a new Mouse.

I see a few Razer Mice that are highly, so do some research on them.

Mouse DRM?

You've got to be kidding . . . sadly no.

They can keep this product and do you know what with it - this is as bad as the DRM'd Coffee maker.
Post edited May 12, 2014 by wanderer_27
wanderer_27: So how about this ? :

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121105/17594020942/when-mouse-requires-internet-connection-youre-doing-cloud-wrong.shtml

My Mouse died this weekend so I've been shopping for a new Mouse.

Mouse DRM?

They can keep this product and do you know what with it - this is as bad as the DRM'd Coffee maker.
companies tend to only learn their lessons when their products flop. If enough people buy that (even because they didn't know it behaved that way), they will learn the valuable lesson that people LOVE DRM!!!! and then proceed to find the next thing to lock down... power cables, perhaps? ug :(
I am all for the DRM free world...but the fine print usually says something like :

Free steam account and internet connection required to play.

or at the very least:

DRM: STEAM

so you should not really be blindsided by this. As others have said once you activate a game you can usually play it in offline mode.
iphgix: I am all for the DRM free world...but the fine print usually says something like :

Free steam account and internet connection required to play.

or at the very least:

DRM: STEAM
That is very recent, and not everyone is as forthcoming as others about that. When I bought SS:HD, the minimum system requirements didn't even say "internet connection", "Network Card", or any other HINT that I might not be able to play right out of the box.
Gandos: People constantly say that Steam is the least obtrusive form of DRM, but that's not actually true. The CD check version of SecuROM was the least obtrusive form of DRM to the point that it hardly qualified as DRM, since it didn't prevent you from doing almost anything you wanted with your game (whether it be to back it up, borrow it or sell it).
mqstout: That's because it [disk check] is not actually DRM. (But yeah, Steam's an awful thing and I really wish it'd vanish.)
Don't let it vanish yet! That's what I'm afraid of, lol! I *paid* for this damn game--which is, unbeknownst to me, apparently locked up with this end-all-be-all of gaming companies (Steam)--regarding which I'm a complete [insert your preferred insult here] for somehow managing to (unwittingly) fly under their state of the art radar (Model # GO1984Y2K) after all these years. Now that I have accidently bought/rented/licensed/I-don't-care-what-you-label-it-anymore one of their games, I at least want to get my fourteen bucks worth out of them before they bite the dust! I'll let y'all know when I finish the game. Once I do, then Steam has my permission to go out of business and send whatever self destruct signal hidden inside the game's DRM code that their little EULA requires. (Just don't kill my computer along with it. I've got important files...and stuff.) ;-D
Post edited May 12, 2014 by hscott2hughes
hscott2hughes: Don't let it vanish yet! That's what I'm afraid of, lol! I *paid* for this damn game--which is, unbeknownst to me, apparently locked up with this end-all-be-all of gaming companies (Steam)--regarding which I'm a complete [insert your preferred insult here] for somehow managing to (unwittingly) fly under their state of the art radar (Model # GO1984Y2K) after all these years. Now that I have accidently bought/rented/licensed/I-don't-care-what-you-label-it-anymore one of their games, I at least want to get my fourteen bucks worth of them before they bite the dust! I'll let y'all know when I finish the game. Once I do, then Steam has my permission to go out of business and send whatever self destruct signal hidden inside the game's DRM code that their little EULA requires. (Just don't kill my computer along with it. I've got important files...and stuff.) ;-D
Actually, the company's called Valve. Surely you have heard of them, or at least of Half-Life games? Steam has been launched as DRM and distribution platform for Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source (and perhaps Condition Zero). It then grew into a distribution platform for all Valve's titles, and from there, publishers started joining and ... Well, that happened. So the company has been around at least since '99. Don't worry, you will get at least a month to decide that the new Star Trek indeed is terrible and leave it be :-P
wanderer_27: My Mouse died this weekend so I've been shopping for a new Mouse.
Mouse DRM?
I was in the market for a new gaming keyboard, and really wanted to get me the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth keyboard, which among other things just has the most bitching name! I love everything about it hardwarewise, but when I looked into that software shite to run it, Synapse 2.0, I ran a mile screaming like a little kid with a paper cut. Talk about DRM done wrong (and yes, this assumes it can be done right. Of any of the wrong ways, Steam is a right as they come).

Can't wait for my Logitech G710+ to get here!
hscott2hughes: Don't let it vanish yet! That's what I'm afraid of, lol! I *paid* for this damn game--which is, unbeknownst to me, apparently locked up with this end-all-be-all of gaming companies (Steam)--regarding which I'm a complete [insert your preferred insult here] for somehow managing to (unwittingly) fly under their state of the art radar (Model # GO1984Y2K) after all these years. Now that I have accidently bought/rented/licensed/I-don't-care-what-you-label-it-anymore one of their games, I at least want to get my fourteen bucks worth of them before they bite the dust! I'll let y'all know when I finish the game. Once I do, then Steam has my permission to go out of business and send whatever self destruct signal hidden inside the game's DRM code that their little EULA requires. (Just don't kill my computer along with it. I've got important files...and stuff.) ;-D
Fenixp: Actually, the company's called Valve. Surely you have heard of them, or at least of Half-Life games? Steam has been launched as DRM and distribution platform for Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source (and perhaps Condition Zero). It then grew into a distribution platform for all Valve's titles, and from there, publishers started joining and ... Well, that happened. So the company has been around at least since '99. Don't worry, you will get at least a month to decide that the new Star Trek indeed is terrible and leave it be :-P
I'd heard- of Half-Life and Counter-Strike, but I've never bought them or played them, because those style games (which are the types of games Steam apparently specializes in) by and large don't interest me. This Trek game is an exception to that rule, simply because it's Trek. I'm an old school adventure gamer. Runaway, Gabriel Knight, Dreamfall, Broken Sword--that's my speed. And those are the type of "casual gaming" games that (so far) have not required a Steam (or similar) account in order to play. So, I've had no reason to have ever heard of Steam. It's not my style of gaming.

I don't know if I'll like the game or not. But it can't be as bad as NCIS: The Game.
wanderer_27: My Mouse died this weekend so I've been shopping for a new Mouse.
Mouse DRM?
anomaly: I was in the market for a new gaming keyboard, and really wanted to get me the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth keyboard, which among other things just has the most bitching name! I love everything about it hardwarewise, but when I looked into that software shite to run it, Synapse 2.0, I ran a mile screaming like a little kid with a paper cut. Talk about DRM done wrong (and yes, this assumes it can be done right. Of any of the wrong ways, Steam is a right as they come).

Yeah, they have $400+ Keyboards with the same DRM - that's just insane.
Oh I take it back, the Trek shooters aren't the *only* shooters I've played. There's also one other: ALIAS: The Game. It's a stealth/shooter, the type I don't typically play (I couldn't care less about the Master Chief)...but making Jennifer Garner do stuff...yeah, that was fun. ;)
Welcome to 2007... get over it! ;)
Post edited May 12, 2014 by darthspudius
hscott2hughes: ..
Oh Steam doesn't actually specialize in anything, especially lately when they allow just about any game to be added. There's a massive library of adventure games there, even some Lucas Arts classics that didn't make it to GOG (I got The Dig from there, actually. It's awesome.)
anomaly: I was in the market for a new gaming keyboard, and really wanted to get me the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth keyboard, which among other things just has the most bitching name! I love everything about it hardwarewise, but when I looked into that software shite to run it, Synapse 2.0, I ran a mile screaming like a little kid with a paper cut. Talk about DRM done wrong (and yes, this assumes it can be done right. Of any of the wrong ways, Steam is a right as they come).

wanderer_27: Yeah, they have $400+ Keyboards with the same DRM - that's just insane.
Well, I must admit, I have found it very hard to download a functioning gaming keyboard off the net, and have had to resort to buying one legally, dammit!

(I'll put a caveat on this - give it enough time and development, and I guarantee we'll be able to d/l schematics and print peripherals. But not yet, and it will be a damn long time before they are as good as commercially manufactured)