It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HypersomniacLive: And there's still the case of future OS updates breaking the functionality of the client.
And so, everything eventually loses support on Steam, and there we will see gog picking the games up, returning compatibility and selling the games back to us!

:-D
Wow.... This thread has just exploded. It's already on page seven. I thought my Review of Broken Sword 5 (SPOILERS) from last week might mildly stir the pot--and nobody even noticed that post(oh well, lol), but--jeeeeez--just mention my first real encounter with DRM and/or online gaming and suddenly--KA-BOOM! I've gotten everything from friendly "atta-boys" to literally being called a troll and a liar and essentially an idiot who has no right to call himself even a casual gamer. Apparently some people are personally offended by my unfamiliarity with Steam, so I guess that settles it: I suck as a human being. I admit it. I had suspected it all along, but grasped onto the thin hope that because I had once, twenty years ago, managed to solve the coo-coo clock inventory puzzle in Gabriel Knight 2 without a walkthough, maybe..<sniff>...just maybe <sniff, sniff>...OH GOD, this is hard for me!...just maybe I might be, you know...accepted? <Scott falls to the ground, crying and begging forgiveness.> ;-)

(Oh, and to the fella who felt it necessary to spell out that he was making "kind of a slight" at me: Yeah, thanks, I got it the first time.) Jeez, where's the sense of humor around here?

So, as the "OP" who started all this (OP--another little term I just picked up on this board; you learn something new everyday), let me see if I can sum up my end of this and turn down some of the heat. (We're verging on flaming--let's relax...take a deep breath...let it go...everything is going to be fine.)

First, let me back up a bit and reintroduce myself to those who may be unfamiliar with me (which is probably most of you because I've been on this board less than a month--so I only have a few posts out there). And then, I think you might understand me a little better and where I'm coming from. I'm Scott. In years past, I've called myself "Moonjumper" or "Moonjumping in Texas" on other BBS's, but I ended up (kind of accidently) with hscott2hughes as my GOG board name (because I haven't yet had time to figure out how to change it in my account settings)--but anyway, Scott is actually my name, so feel free to call me Scott. I used to be a music teacher, I still sing semiprofessionally, I run a restaurant, and I work in independent film. As such, technology is a major part of my life. But in a lot of ways I'm pretty old school and full of ironies when it comes to tech. I have workstations with the best processors and HDDs available so as to run my film editing and sound design suites all which are state of the art...but I'm the guy who still doesn't even own a smartphone (mine flips--it prevents butt dials). I have a DVR and Blu-Ray player and a Roku (I use them all), but I still rely on my trusty ol' VCR. And unlike a majority of my film and media colleagues, I'm very much a solid PC man. So sue me, I just prefer Windows to Mac (and my Mac buddies--including my own brother, lol--also think that makes me less than human). It's purely personal taste, personal comfort. I have nothing against Mac, it's a fine machine, I just don't *worship* it. Contrary to myth, there is absolutely nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't do as well (I know, because, that's, well, what I use! (quite successfully)--but try convincing a fanboy of that and he'll hurl obscenities at you--or call me a liar. I couldn't have edited that film on a PC, it looks too good.) Whatever. Believe what you want to believe. I swear, every time I buy a new PC (not saying a word to anybody, minding my own business) a Mac fanboy *attacks* me!--because he's personally offended by my choice. I mean, really, dude--why do you care what computer I use? It's *my* computer. It doesn't affect you. (Anyway, I'd better shutup about that, coz the Mac boys are already grinding their teeth and typing--don't bother, I won't reply, I DON'T CARE! LOL!)

I'm simply making a humorous analogy in reference to the current topic. No, I'm not really up to speed on things like Steam and online gaming. (That does NOT mean I'm lying about having played some video games along the way--and yes, going back 25-plus years to the present. My shelves stuffed with CD/DVD-ROMs (and even some floppies) should be testimony to that. It's just that I haven't played any *online* games and GOG was only recently my first experience with actually *downloading* a game for the very first time (Broken Sword 5).) That's WHY I'm not familiar with Steam. I had never even heard of *GOG* prior to a month ago when I purchased BS5. It's only been recently that I've begun having an increasingly hard time finding hard copy games that I've never *needed* to know anything about Steam or any other download vendor. All of my games prior to BS5 have been on traditional disc. And no, I am NOT a *hardcore* gamer. I don't do multiplayer. The only shooters I've ever played happen to be Star Trek games (how's that for ironies?). As I have stated on other threads, I am a casual gamer of almost exclusively traditional adventure games. There's never been reason for me to encounter Steam (because I don't buy multiplayer online shooters). I buy games like Runaway and Broken Sword. Thus, I like what I see on GOG. (I just finished downloading the entire Tex Murphy series, including the latest just released yesterday--FMV!!!)

What brought on my original post on this thread was that I purchased a DVD-ROM of the Abramsverse Star Trek
game, not knowing that it was attached to Steam (not even knowing what a Steam was, lol)--and there was nothing in the product description to clue in a casual gamer like me to expect anything other than a DVD-ROM game like I have always played before. I know that makes me the biggest dumbass in the history of gaming, apparently. So be it. I'm a dumbass and I'll know what to expect and watch out for next time. Fair enough.

It really wasn't my intension for this to be so blown out of proportion. I bought a game that caught me by surprise with its DRM features--which was annoying, but not a crises. DRM seems to be a frequent topic on these boards because GOG is proud of being DRM-free. So, my eye-opening experience with the Star Trek game seemed apropos.

To clarify, my issue is not with Steam. They're probably a fine company with some great games. My issue was a DVD-ROM (PC-DVD) labeled "Star Trek: The Game" that had no freakin' game on it (which I wrote about somewhat tongue-in-cheek). So, for me, it was a complete WTF for having never encountered this situation with the type of games I normally buy in hard copy form.

I am going to play the Trek game and it will doubtlessly entertain me. I'm not angry (not as angry as some because not being familiar with Steam is somehow a personal insult to them, and also somehow equates to trolling. Uh...wait, huh??) But I do miss the simpler days of gaming.

Happy Gaming.
Scott
Post edited May 12, 2014 by hscott2hughes
hscott2hughes: I suck as a human being. I admit it.
Yes. Yes, you do. We've all seen it for the longest time, and I'm just so sad to say it, but anyone who has not heard of Steam does no longer qualify for being a human. I think I should refer to you as 'it' from now on.

It can redeem itself tho. All it has to do is to give Star Trek: Online a shot, just alone, in single-player, and thank me later :-P
I just hope the thread can close now, I think I set a record for the most "douche bag posts" by a single person in one thread. :P Of course you can't go back and edit them because it only pisses people off more.
hscott2hughes: I am going to play the Trek game and it will doubtlessly entertain me. I'm not angry (not as angry as some because not being familiar with Steam is somehow a personal insult to them, and also somehow equates to trolling. Uh...wait, huh??) But I do miss the simpler days of gaming.
Well, on the actual topic of Star Trek: The Game - is it any good?

A lot of the user reviews I've been reading have essentially been nerd rants about how it corrupts the purpose of the Star Trek universe yada-yada. I've seen the game for €15 in our local store for PS3 and have been curious if it can be seen as a straightforward, simplistic third-person shooter you can have a few hours of fun with.

When it comes to movie-licensed games, I'm very sceptical with user reviews, as it's the "cool thing" to rage against them nowadays.
Post edited May 12, 2014 by jamyskis
I dont mind Steam's DRM because I have seen other forms of DRM that did not work for crap as another person on here mentioned Secu-ROM which caused more problems than I could count on my fingers and toes. With Some computers Secu-ROM prevented legit users from playing their games because it did not like them having 2 optical drives and also it did not like daemon tools installed which is a virtual optical drive program. That form of DRM is very controlling on what you can and cannot have on your computer hardware wise which is a load of crap.

I like DRM-free as well because I like the manner of purchasing a game and being able to download it again unlimited number of times. Also You don't have to deal with the extra resources that the Steam Client or any other DRM based client needs to run.

One last form of DRM that I hate is limited number of activations on a game. If you purchased a game then you should have the ability to install or reinstall the game as many times as you see fit.

No need to apologize Steam is not everyone's cup of tea.
hscott2hughes: I suck as a human being. I admit it.
Fenixp: Yes. Yes, you do. We've all seen it for the longest time, and I'm just so sad to say it, but anyone who has not heard of Steam does no longer qualify for being a human. I think I should refer to you as 'it' from now on.

It can redeem itself tho. All it has to do is to give Star Trek: Online a shot, just alone, in single-player, and thank me later :-P
Hehehe, well, I have been called much worse. And in order to redeem myself, "I shall consider it!." (Quote from mirror universe Spock.) ;-)
HypersomniacLive: Let's assume that regardless of the circumstances of Steam going down for good, they do what you suggest and that it works. What would happen if/ when a future Windows update breaks the client in some way? And what if/ when the client breaks on a later version of Windows and/ or other OSes? Would Valve update/ patch the client after Steam's no longer around? And for how long?
Personally, if Steam went down, or GOG for that matter, I'd start looking for a new place to have a digital library at. My days of storage are over, both physical and digital (locally). So at best, having an updated client would be a temporary thing, till I re-buy the part of my collection I still care about somewhere else. And probably for most of it, it'll be available for pennies on sale, and hopefully, in remakes or HD versions for whatever the new resolutions are at that time (or something exotic like VR even perhaps).

I don't have stuff I bought 20 years ago anymore. Heck, I've rebought remake's/HD versions of games I bought in digital format in the last 5 years. I have no clue what the future will bring, but I do not doubt this same trend will continue in the future. And given I pick up a lot of stuff relatively cheap on sales anyway, I really don't mind.
Post edited May 12, 2014 by Pheace
OP, I ran into the same thing with Serious Sam HD. I went to great lengths to buy the disc versions. Bought at an inconvenient time so when I finally opened them, it was past the return period. Game installer simply launched a Steam installer. Found out all I bought was a Steam key in a box.

While my old age and change of hobbies has allowed me to accept more concessions than I would have liked in a previous time... I'm still not a fan of Steam. Bandwidth limits force me to turn off auto-updates (Steam doesn't allow you to do that ANY way other than one game at a time... WHY??????). On PLENTY of occasions, I get Steam errors, crashes, etc. that delay my game play, AND they don't support the games they "sell". Its all on you if the game doesn't work.

I'm optimistic that their "renting" policy is simply legalese to protect them from software pirates, thieves, and ill-meaning companies/customers... but I also don't like giving anyone the ability to exercise such decisions over my investments... it is for this reason that my Steam library MOSTLY consists of keys from bundles. I think I've only purchased 2 games directly from them. (the fact I even installed the Steam software has me shivering in my weaker moments ;) )
hscott2hughes: I am going to play the Trek game and it will doubtlessly entertain me. I'm not angry (not as angry as some because not being familiar with Steam is somehow a personal insult to them, and also somehow equates to trolling. Uh...wait, huh??) But I do miss the simpler days of gaming.
jamyskis: Well, on the actual topic of Star Trek: The Game - is it any good?

A lot of the user reviews I've been reading have essentially been nerd rants about how it corrupts the purpose of the Star Trek universe yada-yada. I've seen the game for €15 in our local store for PS3 and have been curious if it can be seen as a straightforward, simplistic third-person shooter you can have a few hours of fun with.

When it comes to movie-licensed games, I'm very sceptical with user reviews, as it's the "cool thing" to rage against them nowadays.
I'll have to let you know. I haven't had time to play it yet, but I've got a couple days off, so I might start it. I don't have any sky-high expectations, but I doubt it's nearly as bad as people say. Many games I've seen bashed I've enjoyed. Broken Sword 3 is widely maligned, but it's my personal favorite of the series, whereas Broken Sword 5 seems to cause people to orgasm, while only being okay for me. I never listen to critiques. I play and enjoy things according to my own warped sensibilities. Sometimes I'll even write my own review, but I say upfront that I'm neither right or wrong. It's only personal taste. I want you to play the game before you read my review and love or not love it according to your own sensibilities. I don't like mob mentality critiques. So I usually ignore the reviews until after I've seen the movie or played the game (just to see if people thought what I thought--they usually don't, lol!)

I'm sure the Star Trek game will entertain me sufficiently.
Hey Scott, what is your avatar? It's been driving me nuts since you joined. It looks like a Mercury or Apollo capsule but I can't be sure.
tinyE: Hey Scott, what is your avatar? It's been driving me nuts since you joined. It looks like a Mercury or Apollo capsule but I can't be sure.
It's the Mercury capsule (as I recall). I created it from a NASA photo and use it on several sites. Just coz I like it. :)
Post edited May 12, 2014 by hscott2hughes
tinyE: Hey Scott, what is your avatar? It's been driving me nuts since you joined. It looks like a Mercury or Apollo capsule but I can't be sure.
hscott2hughes: It's the Mercury capsule (as I recall). I created it from a NASA photo and use it on several sites. Just coz I like it. :)
I'm guessing it's not the one that sank. :P
Actually, I better double check that, but I think it's Mercury.
Gandos: People constantly say that Steam is the least obtrusive form of DRM, but that's not actually true. The CD check version of SecuROM was the least obtrusive form of DRM to the point that it hardly qualified as DRM, since it didn't prevent you from doing almost anything you wanted with your game (whether it be to back it up, borrow it or sell it).
That's because it [disk check] is not actually DRM. (But yeah, Steam's an awful thing and I really wish it'd vanish.)