It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Two full-blown expansions for the epic RPG.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost here. That means the game is pretty much finished, and the devs are about to take a deep breath while CD-presses and hype machines slowly wind up to take things through the home stretch. It's not gold yet, but now that development is coming to an end, the CD PROJEKT RED team is ready to start their work on two new, ambitious monster-hunting expansions.

The expansions will be called <span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span>, and <span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span>. Combined, they'll offer over 30 hours of new adventures for Geralt, and the latter introduces a whole new major area to roam. More items, gear, and characters (including a few familiar faces) will all be crafted with the same attention to detail as the game itself.
<span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span> is a 10-hour adventure across the wilds of No Man's Land and the nooks of Oxenfurt. The secretive Man of Glass has a contract for you - you'll need all your smarts and cunning to untangle a thick web of deceit, investigate the mystery, and emerge in one piece.
<span class="bold"><span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span></span> is the big one, introducing an all-new, playable in-game region to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It will take you about 20 hours to discover all of Toussaint, a land of wine, untainted by war. And to uncover the dark, bloody secret behind an atmosphere of carefree indulgence.

There used to be a time when buying an add-on disk or expansion for your game really meant something. That's what CD PROJEKT RED are going for, it's about bringing that old feeling back. You can take it from our very own iWi, (that's Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED):

"We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both of our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”

Hearts of Stone is expected to premiere this October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016, so there's still plenty of time ahead. We're offering you the <span class="bold">Expansion Pass</span> now - it's a chance to pre-order the two expansions and even show your support for the devs. But we can't stress Marcin Iwinski's words enough:

“Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call."

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is just over a month away, and you can pre-order the game right now - it's a particularly great deal if you own the previous Witcher games and take advantage of the additional fan discount (both The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are 80% off right now!). You can also take a rather unique refresher course on the universe with The Witcher Adventure Game at a 40% discount, all until Thursday, 4:59 PM GMT.
Post edited April 07, 2015 by Chamb
high rated
Hello Everyone,

First of all let me thank you for your feedback. Although a bit harsh at times, it is always very passionate, emotional and we really do appreciate it.

I wanted to add a few words to the original press release, which will hopefully shed some more light on the Expansions and the timing of the announcement.

Let me start with the Expansions themselves. The work on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost done and we are waiting for the final certifications. Thanks to it we were able to allocate part of the team onto the expansions. Yes, we have been thinking about it for some time, as with over 250 people on the Witcher team good planning is essential.

Rest assured, there is no hidden agenda or cutting out any content from the game. Both Expansions are being built at this very moment, from the ground up – hence the release dates long after the launch of Wild Hunt. We develop them in-house by the same team, which was working on Wild Hunt. This is the best guarantee we can give you that our goal is to deliver both the story and production values on par with the main game.

Now, on the timing of the announcement - in other words “why now” and not - let’s say – “a few months after the release of Wild Hunt”. The reason is very simple: we want to get the word out about the Expansions to as many gamers as possible out there. There is no better time for it than during the apex of the Marketing & PR campaign of the game. Doing it sometime after the release would mean that our reach would be much smaller.

Yes, we are a business, and yes, we would love to see both the game and the Expansions selling well. Having said that, we always put gamers first and are actually quite paranoid about the fact that whatever we offer is honest, of highest quality, and represents good value for your hard earn buck.

Yes, these are just my words. So let me repeat myself from the original release: if you still have any doubts -- don’t buy the Expansions. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call.

Cheers,

Marcin
Post edited April 09, 2015 by Destro
artymienek: Only one thing, price was 17,5 euro and now it's 25 euro, why you have changed the price?
To compensate the cancelled pre-orders...

...or...

...because the contents are worth more than expected...

...since there are 45m and 15s more of contents.
Post edited April 09, 2015 by OldOldGamer
I can understand people being weary of the idea of such an early announced DLC, but I don't see this as being any different or worse than (for example) all of the Gold Editions and Prestige/etc versions that come bundled with the dlc at launch of other titles. On the bright side Witcher comes with several packs of DLC after launch FREE. All I'm seeing with this announcement is that Red loves this world and these characters and is reluctant to let go. They want to linger in this world and continue creating content. I trust Red & am anxious to enjoy this world. My preorder got placed this morning.
gamesfreak64: maybe it is true and maybe not, but playing around with the numbers doesnt get them more buys so i think theres no gain to cheat with numbers
Yeah there is! It's called front page exposure. I believe a couple of indie devs did some interesting write ups about how being featured on Steam's front page would net them the most buys. I know this place isn't Steam (even though they're trying very hard to devolve into that direction lately), but still...

As for the validity of the list: The "Main game + DLC"-pack is currently #14 on the list, despite a complete lack of announcements and people being up in arms left and right. I really, REALLY have a hard time believing that list, at least as far as CDPR releases are concerned.
gamesfreak64: maybe it is true and maybe not, but playing around with the numbers doesnt get them more buys so i think theres no gain to cheat with numbers
fronzelneekburm: Yeah there is! It's called front page exposure. I believe a couple of indie devs did some interesting write ups about how being featured on Steam's front page would net them the most buys. I know this place isn't Steam (even though they're trying very hard to devolve into that direction lately), but still...

As for the validity of the list: The "Main game + DLC"-pack is currently #14 on the list, despite a complete lack of announcements and people being up in arms left and right. I really, REALLY have a hard time believing that list, at least as far as CDPR releases are concerned.
well if it is true, i will always buy things after i have seen it for myself,
i am not influenced by some reviews or demos/videos or salesnumbers or pagehits.

As for 'turning to the darkside' .... GG had lots of things a mind of their own way back in the beginning, they were having fun making steam out for anything they could think of , that was quite entertaining (there some info on wiki i guess)but they were all to happy they got a ticket to board the steam train....

DRM is like the dark force the power is so strong and will eventually seem to corrupt everything, convert them to become part of the other side.

Remember the 1st funny age of empires (from uncle bill gates)
These monks had a chant it sounded like : ah yohoho ... or something, when they were converting enemy units, that was so funny dozen of monks that were chanting ayhohoho at my walls trying to convert my farmers and army.

Lateron the 2nd age of empires, the monks were less funny, and they looked ugly they had a kind of fairy sound when they converted people, i liked the ayohoho better also the bearded monks were better then the bald ones in the 2nd version.

iWi: Hello Everyone,

First of all let me thank you for your feedback. Although a bit harsh at times, it is always very passionate, emotional and we really do appreciate it.

...>
Yes, we are a business, and yes, we would love to see both the game and the Expansions selling well. Having said that, we always put gamers first and are actually quite paranoid about the fact that whatever we offer is honest, of highest quality, and represents good value for your hard earn buck.

Yes, these are just my words. So let me repeat myself from the original release: if you still have any doubts -- don’t buy the Expansions. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call.

Marcin
I think you are doing great...
Post edited April 09, 2015 by gamesfreak64
high rated
P1na: I honestly don't know how to phrase it better. I have limited time to play, therefore when I play a game I want to play the fullest, most complete version I possibly can. And not only is that version of witcher 3 considerably more expensive after the announcement, I'm not even fully certain that buying the base game and the expansion pass will get me that most complete version (think of the Director's cut of DX:HR or Strike suit zero). So I no longer want to preorder.

Is this more clear?
P1na, your point is perfectly clear and absolutely undestandable since the beginning. The only reason I see someone could not understand you is they DON'T WANT TO. I'm sad watching you explain over and over again something so simple and well written as you so nicely did.

I can respect others have points of view that differ form yours, but seems they simply can't assume someone disagree with them. So they are simply flaming (with good words) over and over...

Summing up:

You have limited time, you want the best (and complete) gaming experience in that (limited) time. Had you known they are gonna publish some expansions later you simply wouldn't buy the game for now, but wait for a "GOTY" (i.e.).

Thanks for your attention, sorry for my lack of english language skill...
I have full confidence in CDPR to deliver, but I pre-ordered Witcher 3, and until that's delivered there's no way I'm pre-ordering the expansions for a game that isn't out yet.

Makes no sense to me.
P1na: I honestly don't know how to phrase it better. I have limited time to play, therefore when I play a game I want to play the fullest, most complete version I possibly can. And not only is that version of witcher 3 considerably more expensive after the announcement, I'm not even fully certain that buying the base game and the expansion pass will get me that most complete version (think of the Director's cut of DX:HR or Strike suit zero). So I no longer want to preorder.

Is this more clear?
Lobuno: P1na, your point is perfectly clear and absolutely undestandable since the beginning. The only reason I see someone could not understand you is they DON'T WANT TO. I'm sad watching you explain over and over again something so simple and well written as you so nicely did.

I can respect others have points of view that differ form yours, but seems they simply can't assume someone disagree with them. So they are simply flaming (with good words) over and over...

Summing up:

You have limited time, you want the best (and complete) gaming experience in that (limited) time. Had you known they are gonna publish some expansions later you simply wouldn't buy the game for now, but wait for a "GOTY" (i.e.).

i read the story and i can understand his point of view, when i was younger and still at school i had less time for gaming but i could commit myself to play 1 single game longer and more often evryday, now that i am much older i have more time to play compared to the past, but i cant commit my self to play 1 game for hours like i used to do, i buy lots of smaller games so i can play a game that allows me to get into right away, games with a deep learning curve are the ones i cant handle anymore, its more playing quick games nowdays where i can get results quickly.
Thats why i have so many casual games like braveland.

Is this more clear?
Lobuno: P1na, your point is perfectly clear and absolutely undestandable since the beginning. The only reason I see someone could not understand you is they DON'T WANT TO. I'm sad watching you explain over and over again something so simple and well written as you so nicely did.

Summing up:

i think you did pretty well , i can understand every word you typed, so its not that bad,
your english is just fine.
Post edited April 09, 2015 by gamesfreak64
I was wondering if someone will pre-order the expansion wihtout the pre-ordering the game.
OldOldGamer: I was wondering if someone will pre-order the expansion wihtout the pre-ordering the game.
If they plan on buying the boxed version...

Summing up:

Truthfully, there is no greater blind than the one who doesn't want to see, as they say at your place.

I wanted to make a reasoned example of why someone might want to cancel a preorder, without random claims such as CDPR trying to sell us a car without wheels only to offer the wheels for a little extra. I'll consider my mission complete.
high rated
OldOldGamer: I was wondering if someone will pre-order the expansion wihtout the pre-ordering the game.
The question is if GOG will let you get them if you don't have the game.
The game page clearly says:
Requires the base game - The Witcher 3: Wilnd Hunt - in order to play.
and GOG prevents one from directly adding to their shelf/ redeeming a gift code of a DLC for a base game one does not have.

The checkout page does not give a warning as is the case with other such content.

Yeah, yeah - it's not DLC, it's an Expansion Pass, makes all the difference on how GOG treats purchases/ gift codes for content that still requires a base game, right?
Post edited April 10, 2015 by HypersomniacLive
Well, I'd instabuy the Cyperpunk Expansion Pass for sure. Let's get that sucker rolling, CDPR! :)

You know, assuming it's not solely delivered by Galaxy, of course. ;)
Post edited April 09, 2015 by budejovice
You can pay for something that has-to-happen, but can't review it.
Life ...
Thegevin: ...On the bright side Witcher comes with several packs of DLC after launch FREE. ...
Not only this. On an even brighter side, even the whole main game is FREE after launch. ;)

We should not let ourselves be fooled. The DLCs were announced a long time ago, are free for everyone (who bought the game which effectively means not free), are made at the same time as the main content, by the same people ... they should (and effectively are) be part of the main game directly which would even save a bit of work (packaging, unpackaging). For what they are worth they are just PR smoke and mirrors or Potemkin villages.

Not that I find this really bad. It's just PR and CDP is not really better than the rest (although they often pose as if they were).

I didn't pre-order and I probably won't ever do it because here I can see the advantages of not pre-ordering very clearly. One is just much less affected by all this uncertainty, PR back and forth and so on. Pre-ordering should exclusively only be done for small Indies that need crowd-funding. CDP is big enough - they don't need crowd-funding really. Of course anyone who wants to pre-order can do so.
Post edited April 09, 2015 by Trilarion
iWi: Now, on the timing of the announcement - in other words “why now” and not - let’s say – “a few months after the release of Wild Hunt”. The reason is very simple: we want to get the word out about the Expansions to as many gamers as possible out there. There is no better time for it than during the apex of the Marketing & PR campaign of the game. Doing it sometime after the release would mean that our reach would be much smaller.

There is something very unappealing about pre-planned expansion content, no matter if it is announced prior or post release.

There is a reason why companies like Paradox have managed to sell many of their consumers in excess of 90$ worth of major gameplay expansions and have players ask for more (I am discounting all cosmetic dlc here), or Relic being able to release multiple Dawn of War expansions and charging 40$ each. It's because the expansion content is designed with player feedback in-mind.

Pre-planning expansion content presumes that you know that (1) players will want an expansion, and (2) that players will want the type of content that your expansion provides. It also pretty much locks the developer out of making more expansions then planned - because the backlash to charging money for expansions outside the scope of the "Expansion Pass" will be much harsher then the response to it's announcement in the first place.

Everyone knows that development studios and publishing houses are "a business" - the questions they ask themselves are "does this business provide me with good value for my money" and "what does this business care about more, the consumer or stupid trends and co-marketing deals"

Unless the product is a cultural phenomenon like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto, there is no way in which following stupid trends will pay off in the long run.