It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Two full-blown expansions for the epic RPG.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost here. That means the game is pretty much finished, and the devs are about to take a deep breath while CD-presses and hype machines slowly wind up to take things through the home stretch. It's not gold yet, but now that development is coming to an end, the CD PROJEKT RED team is ready to start their work on two new, ambitious monster-hunting expansions.

The expansions will be called <span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span>, and <span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span>. Combined, they'll offer over 30 hours of new adventures for Geralt, and the latter introduces a whole new major area to roam. More items, gear, and characters (including a few familiar faces) will all be crafted with the same attention to detail as the game itself.
<span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span> is a 10-hour adventure across the wilds of No Man's Land and the nooks of Oxenfurt. The secretive Man of Glass has a contract for you - you'll need all your smarts and cunning to untangle a thick web of deceit, investigate the mystery, and emerge in one piece.
<span class="bold"><span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span></span> is the big one, introducing an all-new, playable in-game region to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It will take you about 20 hours to discover all of Toussaint, a land of wine, untainted by war. And to uncover the dark, bloody secret behind an atmosphere of carefree indulgence.

There used to be a time when buying an add-on disk or expansion for your game really meant something. That's what CD PROJEKT RED are going for, it's about bringing that old feeling back. You can take it from our very own iWi, (that's Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED):

"We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both of our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”

Hearts of Stone is expected to premiere this October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016, so there's still plenty of time ahead. We're offering you the <span class="bold">Expansion Pass</span> now - it's a chance to pre-order the two expansions and even show your support for the devs. But we can't stress Marcin Iwinski's words enough:

“Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call."

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is just over a month away, and you can pre-order the game right now - it's a particularly great deal if you own the previous Witcher games and take advantage of the additional fan discount (both The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are 80% off right now!). You can also take a rather unique refresher course on the universe with The Witcher Adventure Game at a 40% discount, all until Thursday, 4:59 PM GMT.
Post edited April 07, 2015 by Chamb
high rated
Hello Everyone,

First of all let me thank you for your feedback. Although a bit harsh at times, it is always very passionate, emotional and we really do appreciate it.

I wanted to add a few words to the original press release, which will hopefully shed some more light on the Expansions and the timing of the announcement.

Let me start with the Expansions themselves. The work on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost done and we are waiting for the final certifications. Thanks to it we were able to allocate part of the team onto the expansions. Yes, we have been thinking about it for some time, as with over 250 people on the Witcher team good planning is essential.

Rest assured, there is no hidden agenda or cutting out any content from the game. Both Expansions are being built at this very moment, from the ground up – hence the release dates long after the launch of Wild Hunt. We develop them in-house by the same team, which was working on Wild Hunt. This is the best guarantee we can give you that our goal is to deliver both the story and production values on par with the main game.

Now, on the timing of the announcement - in other words “why now” and not - let’s say – “a few months after the release of Wild Hunt”. The reason is very simple: we want to get the word out about the Expansions to as many gamers as possible out there. There is no better time for it than during the apex of the Marketing & PR campaign of the game. Doing it sometime after the release would mean that our reach would be much smaller.

Yes, we are a business, and yes, we would love to see both the game and the Expansions selling well. Having said that, we always put gamers first and are actually quite paranoid about the fact that whatever we offer is honest, of highest quality, and represents good value for your hard earn buck.

Yes, these are just my words. So let me repeat myself from the original release: if you still have any doubts -- don’t buy the Expansions. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call.

Cheers,

Marcin
Post edited April 09, 2015 by Destro
Hecke: Oh come on, you could at least wait till after the release of The Witcher 3 to announce payed DLC....
The game is not yet released and still you offer me to buy more of it. Not that I don't think the extra stuff might be worth the price, but I don't like this trend.
So wait for it? Not that hard to understand.
I think it's definitely better they announced this now. In this they made the right choice for their customers, and people are moaning about it? Please...

1. People who hate it can cancel their pre-order (or decide against pre-order if they didn't already). If they would announce this after the release then these people would be pissed!!! And rightly so. It would have been very dishonest.

2. People who like it will get more hyped. Yay! Give more monies to CDPR!!!
Hecke: Oh come on, you could at least wait till after the release of The Witcher 3 to announce payed DLC....
The game is not yet released and still you offer me to buy more of it. Not that I don't think the extra stuff might be worth the price, but I don't like this trend.
ThulsaDooom: So wait for it? Not that hard to understand.
No, i mean: They could have delayed the announcement of extra stuff till after the release. I really don't think this is the kind of DLC EAbisoft sells: pointless, cheap produced stuff to rip money out of the customers.

But nontheless it feels a little like "you are missing stuff if you don't give us more money". Before the actual game is released.

I will wait and decide whether this DLC is worth the money, but IMHO this kind of announcement ist "bad style".
Aningan: I think it's definitely better they announced this now. In this they made the right choice for their customers, and people are moaning about it? Please...

1. People who hate it can cancel their pre-order (or decide against pre-order if they didn't already). If they would announce this after the release then these people would be pissed!!! And rightly so. It would have been very dishonest.

2. People who like it will get more hyped. Yay! Give more monies to CDPR!!!
Let me repeat myself:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/witcher_expansion_0f2a2/post524
Davane: Do you have any other examples, JMich?
JMich: I love that pick because it's the oldest example of a map pack released at the same time as the base game I can find. I also love the speech packs I keep posting whenever someone complains about having to buy a new version.
What kind of examples are you looking for? I could try to find some if you'd like.
Any you can find, really. It's all about "the more you know"...

That said, certain genres of gaming have always had such content - and typically they are in the licensed sports genre (which includes the licensed racing genre).

But we are talking about an RPG here. As stated, Bethesda coined (and ruined) the phrase with their Horse Armour. This wasn't standard for this genre of gaming (at least in my experience).

In my experience, an expansion pack does one significant thing over anything else - it adds to the gaming experience, typically by including new mechanics and options. If it doesn't do this, then it can't truly be called an expansion pack.

The problem is very complex, because of various issues. Horse Armour is notorious, simply because it is paid content that was little more than a modder could provide, for free. What we "expect" is that a company will provide more than what you can get for free from the community.

Maybe, just maybe, this is more about the growing capabilities of the modding community within gaming. They keep pushing the bar higher and higher.

You only have to see this in effect with the likes of Civilization V - they released a bunch of DLCs that were basically paid-for mods. Often, members of the community would go out and make their own versions of these DLCs, because the content that they added was so negligible.

But you also got the expansion packs - great big gameplay changing products that introduced new mechanics, which were above and beyond what a standard accomplished modder could make. They included lots of additional content which worked with such key game-changing mechanics.

Ultimately, what the so-called Expansion Pass offers is theoretical content that appears to fall between these two extremes. Gone are the days when "more of the same" is perceived as being of value. More hours of gameplay isn't as important as new gameplay, especially in a genre where games can be artificially inflated through grinding and exploration.

How do we know that the new quests aren't just a load of additional fetch quests? We don't.

How do we know that the new area isn't just a field for randomly spawning monsters? We don't.

We haven't seen the gameplay of TW3 yet, so how can we know if we want the additional content, and that it is worth another $25? We don't.

It's asking too much, and puts CDPR in a negative light. The only people who would react positively to an expansion pass are those who have already committed themselves to buying the game without having seen it.

If TW3 was a F2P (P2W) game, this expansion pass is squarely targeted at the "whales" in the community - those that support the game by buying everything for it, regardless of quality or content.

For everyone else, this is more of an entry barrier - what such people perceive is not $50 for a game and $25 for expansion(s), but $75 for a "complete" game. This is because if they enjoy the game, chances are that they will pay the extra for the expansions. The main reason that they wouldn't spend this extra $25 is if they don't like the game. In this case, they won't see that they have saved wasting $25 on expansions, but that they have wasted $50 on a game that they don't like.

The timing is all wrong, since it implies that either CDPR are desperate for cash, or greedy for cash - neither of which are ideal choices to inspire confidence in the game. These are not assertions, just implications based on the simple question of "Why do this now?" CDPR had nothing to gain and a lot to lose by their timing this before the actual release of TW3, since this does look like they are trying to ride the hype of the game, rather than it's actual quality.

Saving this for even a week after release would have made all the difference, simply because a lot of the questions would already have been answered by the game itself.

Add in that the disclaimers by iWi that players can "just wait" hints at copious amounts of reverse psychology. After all, if the players could "just wait", why didn't CDPR "just wait" to release this announcement?

If I was a true cynic, I would probably think that the increased tension over the release of TW3 is actually just a cunning marketing ploy to enhance our collective feelings of relief when it works out okay. A good "so CDPR didn't turn out to complete bastards after all" tactic that makes us feel grateful to get a mediocre game, rather than a true catastrophe...
high rated
LynetteC: Unless they make it mandatory (like the Steam client), Galaxy is not DRM. It's not required to play your games; it's not even required to download them. It may be required for some multi-player games but only as a means to connect to the game servers (including Steam ones I believe) which is not DRM but a necessity for online gaming!
Davane: They don't have to make it mandatory for it to be DRM. There are many more ways to control people than to just point a gun at them and say "You must do this."
The easiest way to do this is to make having the client more desirable than not having the client. One way to achieve this is to start limiting updates, bug fixes, bonus content, and newer games to the client.
DaBoffin: In my opinion this points to CDPR having financial problems - why else would they risk alienating a lot of their devoted GOG-customers?
Keep in mind that the release of the Witcher 3 has been postponed a couple of times and that developing such an ambitious game costs a lot of money.
So I guess they are in trouble and need the preorders to stay afloat
Exactly my thoughts/fears ...

BKGaming: I don't see the point in supporting 2 pieces of software when one can do the best of both worlds.
And that's why galaxy will prevail in the end

mkess: I was willing to pay 43 Euro, but now I am only willing to pay 10 Euro and less, after the GotY edition will be out.
You are a minority and on the grand scale they gain not lose. That's the reality,

Wishbone: You may have decided that since the hard core of GOGlodytes (which, incidentally, are also your strongest supporters, and followers of the principles you yourselves have preached since your inception) are nevertheless only a small, albeit very vocal, minority, they can be ignored from a business perspective. I hope this is not the case, even though it might make sense economically.
Thats exactly the case and they are doing it.

Jamie.monro: I don't mind paying for additional expansions if they are worth it (ie don't go with blizzards 70% of the price of the original, 30% more content approach)
Trilarion: 30 hours of gameplay is actually like a second game right?
Actually, the base game costs 50 bucks and offers 200 hours of gameplay (according to devs) -> $0.25/hour
and the expansion pass costs 25 bucks and offers 30 hours of gameplay (according to devs). -> $0.83/hour
that's a price hike of 333% :)

coreyblueexclusive: They have to realize GoG is a company,not their friend.
You have to know the past in order to understand the relation between gog and it's (initial) customers.
Throughout its history gog advertised itself in a way that is the opposite of what they are doing now.
So you have to understand that when you grow a customers base preaching some values and after some years you start stepping on those original values and even embrace some of the things you were fighting against then the backlash is totally justifiable.
Cancelled my preorder on Steam. Expansion pass? I'll pass. :)
I don't get why everyone is so upset about this... some content costs a lot of money to make.
Over 30 hours of gameplay only for 25$... you do realize some entirely fully released games don' t have that length...
But I do understand why people are scared to be screwed in the future by accepting this cause many companies abused the DLC system....
StorkV88: I don't get why everyone is so upset about this... some content costs a lot of money to make.
Over 30 hours of gameplay only for 25$... you do realize some entirely fully released games don' t have that length...
But I do understand why people are scared to be screwed in the future by accepting this cause many companies abused the DLC system....
I think people are more upset cause of this:

Base game 60$ (at the moment discounted to 48$) - 200 hours of gameplay

Expansion 25$ - 30 hours of gameplay
Post edited April 08, 2015 by Matruchus
lukaszthegreat: So you want witcher 3 to be postponed till 2016?
I don't care when they release it, or if they do early access for that matter. I'll only consider playing it when it's "complete", that's my own personal choice. Other people can do whatever they want.

Plus, I game on laptops, I won't be able to play it until 2020 or so anyway.
Really what's the problem. I pre-ordered the game. Won't be getting the expansion until I've seen how good the game is and I have a graphics card to buy anyway. So I can wait, so can anyone else who is complaining.

If they are truthful then there is a lot of hours of content to come (wait for a special and reviews). No it shouldn't be part of the game unless we all want to wait another year for release.

Seems all fair to me. No pre-order bonuses. Just buy after release at a price you feel comfortable (wait for sale etc). Problem solved.

If this were a lot of tiny DLC for big bucks then that would be another story.
StorkV88: I don't get why everyone is so upset about this... some content costs a lot of money to make.
I'm upset that they start selling storyline expansions before the main game is released. This whole "season pass" thing. And what you've paid for ends up being incomplete.
It is inconceivable to me why anyone ever buys anything of consequential value without having researched reviews and whatnot.

I have no problems with DLC, expansion packs, episodic content etc... because I never buy blind and I make deliberate and rational purchasing decisions, so any such alleged "cut-out content" does not affect me, because I always know exactly what I am buying and I expect no more and no less.

People who pre-order have no publicly-available way of knowing what exactly they are buying; and if they delude themselves into thinking they do, they have no one to blame except themselves. Pre-ordering is always a gamble, and you will sometimes win and sometimes loose, as is with gambling. If you bet on sports and loose your money, it is not the bookmaker's or the sports team's fault, it is your fault. Any one who pre-orders and get burned, either by buggy release, alleged "cut-out content" or whatever have noone to blame but themselves. People should take responsibility for their own decisions, and if you decide to gamble and you loose and get upset, take a look in the mirror first before directing your angst against others.

Always assess the risks before doing anything. If you pre-order, realize and accept the risk you will loose all your $ and get nothing you want in return (you might get a piece of garbage in return). If that is an unacceptable risk to you then don't make the bet.
Post edited April 08, 2015 by lunah
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
It does buy you a full game. Expansion packs are not part of Witcher 3 game. BG2:SOA is full game isn't it. TOB as expansion is not part of SOA. is SOA incomplete because of TOB? HL2 is incomplete as a game because of Episodes?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

bg2soa is indeed a full blown game, i also have it on retail cd/dvd

As for adding the extras in the complete witcher game, that would logically increase the listprice, and thats a normal thing to increase the list price if it has extra missions.

Usually they release these things to extend the games life cause why should a game start to collect dust after you finished the main game ?

Ofcourse the extra content that can be bought should always be an extra and not just to make a game full
because its incomplete, prices should be accordingly.

Its understandable that nobody pays lets say 30 bucks for the extras if the main game is 30 bucks,setting prices for extra content is always hard.

Furthermore, expansions add to the life of a game, jagged alliance and fallout (classics)were my favorites
too bad they did not have more missions ,nowadays they only make 3d versions of jagged and fallout and thats not my game, i liked the classics ones, you just cant turn every classic 2d game into a FPS game.

I have read the many replies and i still believe there is nothing wrong about the witcher 3 release, the only problem might be that the amount of information regarding the games and packs might have caused confusion.

If however you read it carefully and compare things (price) to games like pillars (price) its no differnt.
Well, going by the front page, their plan worked, the only thing selling better is the hero version of Pillars of Eternity