It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Two full-blown expansions for the epic RPG.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost here. That means the game is pretty much finished, and the devs are about to take a deep breath while CD-presses and hype machines slowly wind up to take things through the home stretch. It's not gold yet, but now that development is coming to an end, the CD PROJEKT RED team is ready to start their work on two new, ambitious monster-hunting expansions.

The expansions will be called <span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span>, and <span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span>. Combined, they'll offer over 30 hours of new adventures for Geralt, and the latter introduces a whole new major area to roam. More items, gear, and characters (including a few familiar faces) will all be crafted with the same attention to detail as the game itself.
<span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span> is a 10-hour adventure across the wilds of No Man's Land and the nooks of Oxenfurt. The secretive Man of Glass has a contract for you - you'll need all your smarts and cunning to untangle a thick web of deceit, investigate the mystery, and emerge in one piece.
<span class="bold"><span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span></span> is the big one, introducing an all-new, playable in-game region to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It will take you about 20 hours to discover all of Toussaint, a land of wine, untainted by war. And to uncover the dark, bloody secret behind an atmosphere of carefree indulgence.

There used to be a time when buying an add-on disk or expansion for your game really meant something. That's what CD PROJEKT RED are going for, it's about bringing that old feeling back. You can take it from our very own iWi, (that's Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED):

"We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both of our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”

Hearts of Stone is expected to premiere this October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016, so there's still plenty of time ahead. We're offering you the <span class="bold">Expansion Pass</span> now - it's a chance to pre-order the two expansions and even show your support for the devs. But we can't stress Marcin Iwinski's words enough:

“Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call."

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is just over a month away, and you can pre-order the game right now - it's a particularly great deal if you own the previous Witcher games and take advantage of the additional fan discount (both The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are 80% off right now!). You can also take a rather unique refresher course on the universe with The Witcher Adventure Game at a 40% discount, all until Thursday, 4:59 PM GMT.
Post edited April 07, 2015 by Chamb
high rated
Hello Everyone,

First of all let me thank you for your feedback. Although a bit harsh at times, it is always very passionate, emotional and we really do appreciate it.

I wanted to add a few words to the original press release, which will hopefully shed some more light on the Expansions and the timing of the announcement.

Let me start with the Expansions themselves. The work on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost done and we are waiting for the final certifications. Thanks to it we were able to allocate part of the team onto the expansions. Yes, we have been thinking about it for some time, as with over 250 people on the Witcher team good planning is essential.

Rest assured, there is no hidden agenda or cutting out any content from the game. Both Expansions are being built at this very moment, from the ground up – hence the release dates long after the launch of Wild Hunt. We develop them in-house by the same team, which was working on Wild Hunt. This is the best guarantee we can give you that our goal is to deliver both the story and production values on par with the main game.

Now, on the timing of the announcement - in other words “why now” and not - let’s say – “a few months after the release of Wild Hunt”. The reason is very simple: we want to get the word out about the Expansions to as many gamers as possible out there. There is no better time for it than during the apex of the Marketing & PR campaign of the game. Doing it sometime after the release would mean that our reach would be much smaller.

Yes, we are a business, and yes, we would love to see both the game and the Expansions selling well. Having said that, we always put gamers first and are actually quite paranoid about the fact that whatever we offer is honest, of highest quality, and represents good value for your hard earn buck.

Yes, these are just my words. So let me repeat myself from the original release: if you still have any doubts -- don’t buy the Expansions. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call.

Cheers,

Marcin
Post edited April 09, 2015 by Destro
IAmSinistar: I have nothing constructive to add to this, apart from also being sorry that GOG's 1000th release wasn't something more special. Though I suppose it could be argued that a CDPR item is only fitting.

It's amusing however to see the usual rogues gallery of arrogant posters arrive and preach to everyone about how their feelings are totally wrong. Thankfully they remain a minority here at GOG, and most members understand that feelings are just that - feelings.

Anyway, already pre-ordered TW3 a while back, and have decided I'll keep it in spite of this remarkably tone-deaf announcement. I won't be ordering any "Pass" type content until it's already fully released. Still no finish to Kentucky Route Zero yet.
you're right.
but now that i now, they put on a dlc season pass to buy, maybe i am going to chancel my pre-order and wait for a GOTY.
CDPR, what happened to you guys? You used to be cool.
simda.gog: Witcher 1 + 2 were both 3-course meals.

Until recently ("last week") Witcher 3 appeared to be a 3-course meal.
CharlesGrey: Thing is, as far as I can tell, if the first two games were 3-course meals, then the third one is more like a 6-course meal. Or an all-you-can-eat buffet, and then some. And that's without any additional expansions.
So we're going to compare games to meals, well since we're paying for it we need to compare this to eating at a Restaurant i think. And who the hell walks into a restaurant and pays UP FRONT before they know what the food is like? So you pay for your 3 course meal, thinking it's great deal, only to find that the first course is shit on toast! What are you gonna do now, you've paid for all three courses already! You don't want to feel like an idiot so you'll pretend that you actually like shit on toast and give the place a good review, if going by most GOG reviews is anything to go by anyway.

Reading the above over, it occurs to me that it may sound like i'm critising you personally...that's not what i'm intending believe me. I'm just trying to put this whole pre-ordering thing in the same context as the 3 course meal analogy. Don't pay for the food before you see it, that's what i say. Unless you're starving of course, in which case you'll eat anything. But we're not starving.
BKGaming: I'm guessing you didn't read that article:
I think the relevant bit is here:

Iwiński stated at the time that the developer believes consumers shouldn't have to spend "steep" amounts for “lots of tiny pieces of tempting content” post-launch. "Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game? As CD Projekt Red, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently,” said Iwiński.

Taking into consideration them seriously high-balling the length of their games (I can't find the link that shows this anymore, but it was less than a week before the second game released and was incredibly damning given the fact that the interviewee had to know by that time that what they were claiming wasn't the case) and outright lying about certain elements of the game (all the way up to release of W2, it was claimed that you wouldn't be able to simply run away from enemies, which as we know now is a complete and total lie) and you have to wonder if these expansions will truly be what they claim. Especially once the bugs start popping up in the base game and complaints pour in about broken quests and all of that fun stuff inherent to open-world games like this.

Again, there are still things that haven't been fixed about the second game, so it's hard to imagine them having enough manpower to handle all of this at once.
GOG.com: There used to be a time when buying an add-on disk or expansion for your game really meant something. That's what CD PROJEKT RED are going for, it's about bringing that old feeling back. You can take it from our very own iWi, (that's Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED):

"We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both of our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”
(...)

“Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call."
The reason why you're doing this much explaining is of course because you know full well 1. that this isn't the case of that "time when buying an add-on disk or expansion for your game really meant something", and 2. that this path would never be popular with your fans, specially the diehardest, many of which capable of proudly boasting how The Witcher isn't like other games because it's not selling DLC on release day, thus making it obvious that the full price doesn't buy the full game, or worse, pulling that out even before the original game is released.

If you need this to make this game profitable it is truly sad, and if not you're idiots, and in both cases you guys should go to hell.
Aceso: now that i now, they put on a dlc season pass to buy, maybe i am going to chancel my pre-order and wait for a GOTY.
That's the only way of buying high profile games these days and not feeling like a dork, but that's typically not necessary with trustworthy companies like inXile and CDPR, I mean, only inXile.
Post edited April 08, 2015 by RafaelLVX
Got mixed feelings about this...
Not really happy about this, or the PR...

But, aghrrr! I'll probably end up buying this anyway!
Post edited April 08, 2015 by Kerchatin
I'm puzzled about GOG\CDPR lately.. bad communication and weird decisions are the usual here, but.. pre-order expansions now?? Are they crazy?

At least they have revealed this before the release, but.. if they had announced it clearly from the start, probably the reactions would have been less extreme (even if a bit annoyed still).

Also.. come on GOG.. SPEAK to us!
What's this silence going on since weeks?
Post edited April 08, 2015 by phaolo
high rated
TCMU2009: Just five days ago GOG were saviors of the DRM free fight when they unveiled their "reclaim" initiative. Now they're "worse than EA," "fallen to the dark side," "writing their own epitaph," or my favorite: "adding DLC after they said there would be NO DLC!!!111" Also, Galaxy is now a form of DRM. Even though it wasn't last week.
GOG community is officially tsundere :D.

On a more serious note - this is THE community for people with very strong opinions on the gaming industry. Die-hard old-school fans, anti-DRM fanatics, single-player purists... It's a volatile mix and a double-edged sword, but I'll take that over consumer apathy any day. Sure - I'll get upset when some things don't seem to make sense, but I applaud the passion. There's a reason we kept (keep?) calling ourselves "the revolution", and revolutionaries are curious folk...
DarrkPhoenix: CDPR, what happened to you guys? You used to be cool.
The same could be said of gamers. Or what happened to "don't like it, don't buy it?" Remember when gamers didn't complain about everything under the sun and let their decisions speak for themselves? The victim mentality gamers have nowadays is so gross and kills any sort of interest I have in discussing games online. Petulant spoiled children who bitch and moan over trivial amounts of money. I hope their moms' raise their allowances in time for the expansion releases.
I'll add it to my wishlist and wait and see how I fare with the base game. That is after I get the hardware upgrade necessary to support it.
mchartman: 1. The game is almost Gold, meaning that it is practically finished and is being polished before release.

Which means...

2. This is not content pulled from the full game being repackaged as DLC.
Rincewind81: Only if the Expansion Pass was a short-term decision and I doubt it. I don't say, that they cut content, but you "logic" has some flaws. ;)
Let's suppose, hypothetically, that in mid development, members of the team (writers, directors, etc), ask themselves this; "post release, do we want to release any more content for the game?" and "if so, how big are we talking?". From a business perspective, this is perfectly sound and not to mention smart, but even from a purely creative perspective, one might entertain the notion of a 'sequel' or an 'expansion' during development simply out of personal interest. How is this in any way shape or form malicious or disingenuous to potential customers? Especially when said content hasn't even started production? It should be telling that the screenshots are from the base game, and are merely placeholders after all...

From my understanding, the expansion to BG2 was conceived during the development of the base game as well.
ThulsaDooom: Remember when gamers didn't complain about everything under the sun?
No. Nor do I think "complaining" is inherently bad.
Post edited April 08, 2015 by BadDecissions
So happy to hear these expansions are happening.

A less scrupulous business model would charge $60 - or more - for the same content as a stand alone 'expansion' that had no relationship to the original title. Thank God CDPR chose not to go on that path.

My only concern is how well the expansions will integrate into the original stand alone title... will they be seamlessly added into the bigger game, like 'Night of the Raven' added content to 'Gothic 2', thus enlarge the overall experience of the game? ...or will these items be isolated and be completely independent experiences for the player?

Either way, I am looking forward to May and playing 'The Wild Hunt'. I'll probably pick up the expansions once reviews and word of mouth have been able to voice their praise or otherwise.
Seriously, people. Claims that they "cut content from the game" are really unfounded and frankly ridiculous.
Here is why:
The game was feature-locked in December. After that it was in polishing phase. That is, mostly just the programmers and qa testers were involved. They needed this much time to eradicate the bugs, in such a huge game. You can't do this and add new content in parallel.
But the whole rest of the team (i.e. artists and so on) had to do something. So they were working on expansions. And the expansions are not going to be released till October and Q1 2016 respectively, which means that they would be in development for almost a year and a year and a half respectively, which is totally reasonable.
When the artists and other team members like this will stop working on the expansions (quite a bit in advance to the release, since, again, you need time for qa), they will move on to new projects, most likely Cyberpunk 2077.

People saying that it's bad timing to announce it now, do you really think that keeping your customers in the dark is better than being transparent? They were going to release these expansions anyway, why make a secret out of it? Knowing this helps you make an informed decision.

People saying that they want "the full game" and feel cheated, do you really want the game to be delayed into 2016? Or do you want no more Witcher content whatsoever? If it's the latter, nobody forces you to buy these expansions, and they were not cut from the base game (see above).

Regarding the price: $25 is totally reasonable for 30 hours of gameplay content by any standard.

To stress it once again, nobody forces you to buy these expansions before they are released. There is even no incentivization to do this, like discount or somesuch, as all the other publishers do. And CD Projekt tells you in the very press release: “Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call." How often do you hear this from publishers or developers?

And I don't even want to address the people who claim that CD Projekt "lied about free DLC". They didn't.

To conclude, I don't see any issue here whatsoever. Actually, I'm very happy that I'll be able to visit Toussaint, even if I'll have to wait till 2016, and I fail to see how somebody (who read and understood the whole press release and not just the headline) could be unhappy about this. If anyone could explain to me what's wrong with my reasoning, it would be appreciated.
Post edited April 08, 2015 by jerff
I'm not going to put down anyone's choice to cancel their pre-order or wait for a GOTY edition. That's entirely someones choice and I respect that, even if I don't agree with their motive for doing so. I've done it myself for few games were I didn't mind waiting for the better version.

I am however glad to see this is at spot number 2 on the popular chart, clearly those that feel this way are in the minority and I'm glad that is appears to be successful.