It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Abishia: hell no, if i wanna have a tablet UI i would have bought a tablet.
tablet ui?:D omg you are clearly have no idea
tomimt: If MS delivers on speed gains and removes all the unnecessary clutter as well as advertising they have, then sure. While I do like Windows 10, I'm not a fan of MS having turned the star menu into an advertisement platform for MS store stuff no one wants.
You do know you can delete those tiles!
low rated
tomimt: If MS delivers on speed gains and removes all the unnecessary clutter as well as advertising they have, then sure. While I do like Windows 10, I'm not a fan of MS having turned the star menu into an advertisement platform for MS store stuff no one wants.
fr33kSh0w2012: You do know you can delete those tiles!
that's too much for some
low rated
fr33kSh0w2012: You do know you can delete those tiles!
Orkhepaj: that's too much for some
Good Lord!
low rated
Orkhepaj: Yes, the choice is there, just have to change a few settings. Looks like that is too much to ask from some users and they instead go use linux. Strange, as it requires way more tinkering than windows.
kohlrak: The tinkering is documented.
And the tinkering you need to do in windows is also documented, what is your point, other than you never bothered to learn how computers work?

caige.aroldo: Because they are a cult, most casual linux users just like feeling superior to Windows users, even though most casual linux users actually knows less about computers than your average Windows user. The same goes for people who use Macintosh, they often know significantly less about computers than their less hip windows mates, but they feel superior for using a different operating system.

You always have a choice, the real question is whether you're competent enough to make the choice not to install every single update Microsoft delivers. I find it hilarious how people complained about Microsoft updating windows 7 computers to windows 10 as some kind of "forced update." If you subscribe to the policy of leaving automatic updates on, then you get what you deserve. Always read the patch notes.
kohlrak: Didn't hear about the stealth updates where people who had 7 and 8 got updates despite having automatic updates disabled? I was on Linu at the time, so i didn't experience them personally, but i'm aware it was causing all sorts of trouble for internal IT people.
I understand that you're not smart emough to know how computers work, but that doesn't change that you have no clue how computers work and spewing nonsense doesn't magically make computers do things that they cannot do. As usual, you prove that Linux users are generally more incompetent than actual windows users, believing nonsense that is down right impossible just to feel superior to windows users.

The simple fact is that Windows 7 and Windows 8 don't have the capability to update themselves without the user's expressed permission, which includes turning on automatic updates. Not being smart enough to know this doesn't change this fact.

The fact is, Microsoft issued an update to windows 7 to install windows 10... people with extremely low IQs didn't read the patch notes and blindly installed the update. Those people found out later that they had updated their OS to windows 10 despite it being extraordinarily obvious every step of the way that is exactly what they were doing. The same exact problem can happen with the low IQ people who use Linux, if you don't read the patch notes before installing an update you are an idiot.

caige.aroldo: Because they are a cult, most casual linux users just like feeling superior to Windows users, even though most casual linux users actually knows less about computers than your average Windows user. The same goes for people who use Macintosh, they often know significantly less about computers than their less hip windows mates, but they feel superior for using a different operating system.

You always have a choice, the real question is whether you're competent enough to make the choice not to install every single update Microsoft delivers. I find it hilarious how people complained about Microsoft updating windows 7 computers to windows 10 as some kind of "forced update." If you subscribe to the policy of leaving automatic updates on, then you get what you deserve. Always read the patch notes.
Orkhepaj: Yes, the choice is there, just have to change a few settings. Looks like that is too much to ask from some users and they instead go use linux. Strange, as it requires way more tinkering than windows.
Usually Linux Users are those who are extraordinarily incapable of using a computer. This is similar to the reason Steam Workshop is so popular. Linux users need to have their hands held and cradled to get the extremely tiny nitpicks they want changed... being able to uninstall their application launcher and install a new one with a ahell script (though, you could honestly do the same thing in windows, except you would have an installation screen pop up) makes them feel more comfortable. The user doesn't want to have to change any files or make any action on his or her own, just type the magic command or push the magic GUI button and it all works without any intelligence required.

That is the primary love of Macintosh OS and Linux, you don't need any intelligence at all to use them. Not that you need intelligence to use Windows, but Microsoft gives you options which confuses people, options? OPTIONS? WHY DO I WANT OPTIONS! Just put the game in my /bin/ and like... why do I need to option?
Post edited June 26, 2021 by caige.aroldo
Abishia: hell no, if i wanna have a tablet UI i would have bought a tablet.
Orkhepaj: tablet ui?:D omg you are clearly have no idea
so what do you call this?

https://youtu.be/qFCeCPpfnhQ?t=80
low rated
Abishia: so what do you call this?

normal desktop os ui
low rated

That doesn't look like a tablet UI to me. They even got rid of live tiles.
high rated
Sarafan: Are you planning to upgrade,
Of course not. I'm on Linux Mint, been Windows-free for years, and will never go back.

Orkhepaj: normal desktop os ui
to me it looks very similar to my S7 i own.

centered icons, check
onscreen keyboard check
Screen rotation Check

https://youtu.be/vElHbmeIa2Y?t=39

it's just a tablet UI.
Abishia: centered icons, check
onscreen keyboard check
Screen rotation Check

it's just a tablet UI.
You can put the icons back on the left and having a centered "dock" is not something new for desktop OSes, OSx had it for years and multiple variant of Linux desktops too. For example IIRC Gnome 40 has a centered icons on the bottom by default and older version had them centered on the left side. Finally you had and onscreen keyboard on Windows since Windows XP and the screen rotation has been there since Windows 7.

Windows 11 is not Windows 8, having played with the leaked build I can say that it doesn't feel like a "touch screen" OS, at least not on a desktop. While I am not a fan of the new Start menu isn't not any bigger or "touch friendly" than the Windows 10 one.
Nevermind. I WAS going to update to Win 11 when it comes, but apparently my 1 year old system doesn't support Secure Boot. Well it does, from what I remember, but it involves BIOS settings I don't want to change.

Will probably change my mind at some point, or just leave this as a Win 10/Linux system and when I build a new one, decide then.

It's pretty suicidal to require secure boot for Win 11 if they want a large user base. Most people won't want to enable stuff in their BIOS just to update the OS.

EDIT: Even turning TPM on in my BIOS, my system isn't new enough to run Windows 11.

I see what you're doing, MS. Forcing people to upgrade hardware when there's a hardware shortage. Eff you, Microsoft.
Post edited June 27, 2021 by CymTyr
caige.aroldo: ...
I think it's well known across the forums that i coded my own kernel and have offered numerous times to teach people how coding works from any step between highschool chemistry to writing your own compiler, so i can only ask who's alt you are.
CymTyr: ...
I don't expect Windows 11 to adapt among the users quickly. I even think there will be trouble adapting it at all. People might want to skip this generation of Windows and wait for the next number just like they did with Windows 8. Some of the requirements of the new system are quite ridiculous. Microsoft is cutting himself from a wide range of users. Given the shortages, I doubt that people will run straight away to the shops just to make their hardware compatible with W11.
low rated
CymTyr: Nevermind. I WAS going to update to Win 11 when it comes, but apparently my 1 year old system doesn't support Secure Boot. Well it does, from what I remember, but it involves BIOS settings I don't want to change.

Will probably change my mind at some point, or just leave this as a Win 10/Linux system and when I build a new one, decide then.

It's pretty suicidal to require secure boot for Win 11 if they want a large user base. Most people won't want to enable stuff in their BIOS just to update the OS.

EDIT: Even turning TPM on in my BIOS, my system isn't new enough to run Windows 11.

I see what you're doing, MS. Forcing people to upgrade hardware when there's a hardware shortage. Eff you, Microsoft.
why? what is your system so it wont be able to run win11?