It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On Windows I just use Total Commander.
I'm using a free version of winrar.
rtcvb32: Me too.... *Shakes fist* Damn you Corel!
Also don't forget about their Animation Shop! Countless of hours forever wasted on that software!
mobutu: I just started adobe pdf, it literally took like half a second to start it up.
rtcvb32: Do you have an adobe background pre-cache-loader that you see sometimes with office programs and others? Maybe if it's cached beforehand...

But i've always seen it run horribly slow.
Adobe Reader has always been a POS, if it isn't starting slowly it is a buggy affair. I much prefer SumatraPDF, lightweight, just works.

That being said, the Windows 10 PDF viewer (built into Win10) is pretty damn good. So, that's really enough for anyone. On Mac the built-in PDF support and viewer on OS X is far better than the trash from Adobe.

There's just no reason to use Adobe Reader, except to say: I use Adobe Reader.
rtcvb32: Me too.... *Shakes fist* Damn you Corel!
Ghostbreed: Also don't forget about their Animation Shop! Countless of hours forever wasted on that software!
i still used marcomedia dreamweaver and fireworks... *SOB*
Just came across this on newegg

I have to ask... did Corel buy out Pkzip/Winzip?
Attachments:
I used to use winRAR way back in the day. These days I use 7zip though. Although to be quite honest, I don't even use 7zip unless I download something outside of the zip format such as rar or whatever. I generally just use the built in compressor included with today's windows os. Aside from the fact it cannot open anything other than zip files with it, it's never given me any issue.
rtcvb32: Just came across this on newegg

Wikipedia confirms that Corel aquired Winzip Computing at 2006. Mentioned in Winzip history-part.
"On May 2, 2006, Corel Corporation, best known for its WordPerfect and CorelDRAW product lines, announced that it had completed the acquisition of WinZip Computing from Vector Capital."

And PKWARE company owns pkzip.
Post edited October 06, 2015 by MiKiL
MiKiL: Wikipedia confirms that Corel aquired Winzip Computing at 2006. Mentioned in Winzip history-part.
"On May 2, 2006, Corel Corporation, best known for its WordPerfect and CorelDRAW product lines, announced that it had completed the acquisition of WinZip Computing from Vector Capital."

Interesting... I always thought WinZip was a branch of Pkware, just a version for windows (or a front end).

Ugg... Why does Corel have to ruin some of my favorite software after they acquire them? (Well... I never cared for Winzip so...)
People pay for WinRAR?
Well obviously, a WinRAR is not you!
rtcvb32: Just came across this on newegg

MiKiL: Wikipedia confirms that Corel aquired Winzip Computing at 2006. Mentioned in Winzip history-part.

I haven't heard of PunKunzip in a while.
rtcvb32: I've heard PDFs are a hack and a subset of postscript, so i'm not sure...
It stands for Postscript Display Format, so, yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh......
Roxolani: Because many users don't use it and they have free alternatives (e.g. 7-zip). Also, some other users pirate it. So it's hard for WinRAR guys to lower the price.
Id say many more have heard of winrar. Especially when you need to open a recent rarred file that wont open with older versions... ;)
Roxolani: Because many users don't use it and they have free alternatives (e.g. 7-zip). Also, some other users pirate it. So it's hard for WinRAR guys to lower the price.
Niggles: Id say many more have heard of winrar. Especially when you need to open a recent rarred file that wont open with older versions... ;)
Yea, I don't know how I came across it, but I like its overall looks compared to 7-zip.

I've had it sitting on the 'evaluation' version for a very long time without problems. However, all I'm doing is unzipping stuff or sometimes I'll open the zipped file to see the structure of files within.
Niggles: Id say many more have heard of winrar. Especially when you need to open a recent rarred file that wont open with older versions... ;)
micktiegs_8: Yea, I don't know how I came across it, but I like its overall looks compared to 7-zip.

I've had it sitting on the 'evaluation' version for a very long time without problems. However, all I'm doing is unzipping stuff or sometimes I'll open the zipped file to see the structure of files within.
Tried 7 zip myself...its a dog of a program to extract files with (slow)
I didnt know about winrar backwards compat problems til i tried a non so recent version to open new archives. All sorts of errors though had corrupt files til i upgraded winrar.makes sense i guess.but still....??
Winzip still around but i guess winrar left it in its wake.
About the price.guess they have to make most of those willing to pay.eval notices arent that nagging...