It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Gudadantza: Sorry, but your post does no prove anything, it is just toxicity, lies, trolling, intolerance and bad manners. keep it civil mate, or grow up.
mqstout: You're the one trolling here. You're the one dabbling in the lying territory by refusing to acknowledge facts. As for intolerance, it's not wrong to be intolerant of blantant falsehoods, especially used to strengthen those in a position of power (such as a corporation like CDPR). The growing up needs to happen with you; try some reflection and critical thought on the topic of this thread.
Sorry but I do not agree.
high rated
Gudadantza: If Galaxy is an optional bonus, those rewards are bonus as well. They decided to offer them under a one time Galaxy activation. They are not payed DLC's, they are rewards, gifts, offered freely to any Galaxy user. It is a harmless way not affecting to the base game. Is it right?, wrong? I do not mind. They are special extras. What about it was a Santa Claus digital Helmet?

The real extras are available to any owner of the game.

Anyway I am sure those rewards could be available in future editions of the game.

Defining this game as not 100 per cent DRM free because of this rewards is like looking at the finger while pointing to the moon and not at the moon itself. It is a banalization of what a DRM game is.

Well, This is my impopular opinion.
You don't see a problem here? As noted, a DRM-free store selling a supposedly DRM-free game, made by a company that supposedly champions the DRM-free movement. Sure, the content is basically superfluous. But it's content that is gated and locked behind an on-line activation, requiring a game client to activate it for a single player game. This is the very essence of DRM.

At what point will this become an issue to you? When it's something a little meatier like maybe a new character skin? Or a new vehicle? What about a micro-DLC like a new weapons or armor? The problem here isn't the nature of the content. The problem is a DRM-free store like GOG suddenly gating content for a single player game behind DRM tied to a client that they've constantly been saying is 'optional'. It's not optional if you want all the content you're entitled to.

In light of that, if this doesn't seem like an issue to you, I don't know what to say.
low rated
Gudadantza: If Galaxy is an optional bonus, those rewards are bonus as well. They decided to offer them under a one time Galaxy activation. They are not payed DLC's, they are rewards, gifts, offered freely to any Galaxy user. It is a harmless way not affecting to the base game. Is it right?, wrong? I do not mind. They are special extras. What about it was a Santa Claus digital Helmet?

The real extras are available to any owner of the game.

Anyway I am sure those rewards could be available in future editions of the game.

Defining this game as not 100 per cent DRM free because of this rewards is like looking at the finger while pointing to the moon and not at the moon itself. It is a banalization of what a DRM game is.

Well, This is my impopular opinion.
TerriblePurpose: You don't see a problem here? As noted, a DRM-free store selling a supposedly DRM-free game, made by a company that supposedly champions the DRM-free movement. Sure, the content is basically superfluous. But it's content that is gated and locked behind an on-line activation, requiring a game client to activate it for a single player game. This is the very essence of DRM.

At what point will this become an issue to you? When it's something a little meatier like maybe a new character skin? Or a new vehicle? What about a micro-DLC like a new weapons or armor? The problem here isn't the nature of the content. The problem is a DRM-free store like GOG suddenly gating content for a single player game behind DRM tied to a client that they've constantly been saying is 'optional'. It's not optional if you want all the content you're entitled to.

In light of that, if this doesn't seem like an issue to you, I don't know what to say.
DRM was what my physical witcher 1 copy had inside. It was the first game I registered on GOG via the serial number. Obviously the DRM dissapeared. Later when I ran the game via Galaxy 2 the DRM was not enabled again as a miracle.

A launcher is not necessarilly DRM. At least Galaxy. It just enables online features and the games can be launched and/or installed without it (even with the launcher installed). And I have this opinion because I have been using a lot of launchers for different reasons and some of then had some kind of mandatory DRM in them but I consider that it is not the case here.

Anyway talking about the rewards themselves even if Galaxy were some kind of DRM it would not convert the game in DRM because it does not affect the game itself. They are external bonus/gifts specifically for any Galaxy user. It wouldn't affect to the functionallity or gameplay of the game. But as I have noted, I do not consider it DRM I deny it as a basis.

This is my evil and incorrect opinion. And I consider It is good for some people be aware of it so they can make its own or at least one more point of view.

Things are more complex than a totalitarian supposed truth. The problem here is that when a different way of seeing things appears, some people consider that his toy/truth is broken and they go violent.
high rated
Time4Tea: As a Linux user, I would switch back to Steam at the drop of a hat, if GOG ever removes the offline installers. Steam has far better support for Linux than GOG: the steam client works in Linux (unlike Galaxy) and Proton is arguably the most advanced tool for playing newer Windows games on Linux.
Exactly the same in my case — it costs me additional effort and often a bit higher prices to prefer keep preferring GOG, but I consider it worth it because of DRM Free advantage, which simply makes me free and feel real owner.

I'd say even more — for users like me, who does not own Windows copy, dropping offline installers makes my games practically unavailable for me. It's much worse than on Steam. It's like Epic, where I have a lot of fancy freebies, which are worthless for me, because their client simply refuse to work under Linux for me. Some of Epic games may work as DRM Free after download, but, guess what, I cannot download them.

If I ever have to make my GOG downloads using Galaxy, I'll find a way/Win PC to do this, but consider it my last download and I'm moving out from here.

Regarding that C2077's small bonuses for Galaxy users - it'd be fine for me (I think we could tolerate this kind of promoting Galaxy), but the whole context of recent decisions causes that everyone consider it suspicious/dangerous. And GOG simply deserves this kind of reactions as they do a lot to make us worried recently.
high rated
Gudadantza: Anyway talking about the rewards themselves even if Galaxy were some kind of DRM it would not convert the game in DRM because it does not affect the game itself. They are external bonus/gifts specifically for any Galaxy user. It wouldn't affect to the functionallity or gameplay of the game. But as I have noted, I do not consider it DRM I deny it as a basis.
DRM is determined by how you access something, not whether you feel that something is "important to finish the game" or not. Bottom line - GOG specifically markets themselves as a DRM-Free store and Galaxy as "optional" for single player games. Having to use Galaxy to access 100% content of a single player game contradicts that. The new excuse being pushed of "DRM on single-player game content is not DRM if I call it 'bonus content'" is a cheap copout that almost no-one reasonably accepts here, when it would be the easiest thing in the world to simply include same "bonus content" in the game pleasing everyone and displeasing no-one.

The sole purpose of doing that is to gradually push Galaxy from being "optional" to "not so optional after all", everyone here knows "the pattern" full well, but all that really does is fragment GOG's community, and return us to the point where GOG's ham-handed attempts to make Galaxy look more appealing purely by making offline installers look relatively worse merely ends up reincentivising piracy again (because the only people who will be providing this online-only content in "offline installers" are of course the pirate groups. Something whatever halfwit in marketing thought this was a "good idea" seemed to have overlooked...)
Post edited December 15, 2020 by AB2012
low rated
Lifthrasil: And you can download a number of DRM-free games through the Steam client. So what's the problem with Steam?
With steam it's not every or near every game that's DRM free(like with GOG), and also you need to backup the file folders with drm free steam games, unlike the installers for GOG games.

Lifthrasil: The point is, that the last of GOG's promises that wasn't yet broken was, to keep Galaxy optional and all (singleplayer) games 100% DRM-free.
And barring things like Gwent, they are still DRM free.

Lifthrasil: There are several customers here, who are here for the DRM-free and who don't want to use any proprietary client. I, for one, will never use Galaxy. If I ever feel that using a client is unavoidable, I will go to Steam, because GOG has lost, or rather thrown away, their last distinguishing advantage that they had over Steam.
So in that scenario you'd go for a platform with full blown DRM and a client(steam client), to avoid using another client(galaxy) which also gives you offline installers via said client?
Lifthrasil: I won't use a client but get new games from other stores that still are actually DRM-free. zoom-platform.com, for example.
Zoom platform is a good site.....too bad they don't have a forum or i'd be there more often.
Post edited December 15, 2020 by GamezRanker
high rated
Lifthrasil: The point is, that the last of GOG's promises that wasn't yet broken was, to keep Galaxy optional and all (singleplayer) games 100% DRM-free.
GamezRanker: And barring things like Gwent, they are still DRM free.
And No Man's Sky and Absolver and Cyberpunk 2077, at least.
Gudadantza: Anyway talking about the rewards themselves even if Galaxy were some kind of DRM it would not convert the game in DRM because it does not affect the game itself. They are external bonus/gifts specifically for any Galaxy user. It wouldn't affect to the functionallity or gameplay of the game. But as I have noted, I do not consider it DRM I deny it as a basis.
(A) Once gain, because you "do not consider it DRM" doesn't make it not DRM. It is absolutely DRM by ANY standard of DRM. Content of the game doesn't exist unless you sign in to an online component during play. I've posted elsewhere to show how this should be done, DRM-free:
* It's a DLC. You have it or not. If you have it, when you install, it's part of the game. Including as part of the offline installer.
* To get the DLC, you have to have a GOG account. Those who have CP2077 on GOG obviously get it automatically. Those who have it on other platforms [and clearly are flawed individuals who accept DRM] have to do the DRM dance as it's currently set up.

(B) You appear to be one of those misguided "It's just cosmetic!" apologists. What if instead of some of the items as it currently is, it were "all character and vehicle models are a standard default unless you are signed in to Galaxy". It's exactly the same thing as is, except to a slightly stronger scale. Still completely cosmetic! Where's your line? "All guns look the same unless you are signed into Galaxy". "All textures are replaced with a flat solid color unless you are signed in to Galaxy".

(C) You, with your head in the sand, missed the part where this is all part of a test bed for a full on money-based microtransactional system that they're working on for a future product.
high rated
I wasn't saying Galaxy was DRM. I was saying that it's acting as a DRM gate becuase it's necessary to use it to get the content.

Let's put it this way: you have a player with an offline machine. He wants that extra content. He DLs the off-line installers at a local library or at work, wherever. He takes those offline installers home and installs the game. No problem. Game will work fine. Now, he wants to grab that content. But his machine is offline, so installing Galaxy won't help - can't even be done, as far as I'm aware. He can't access that content because it's gated behind an on-line authentication that's also tied to a client that must be installed as well.

The type of content is immaterial here. The fact that it cannot be accessed without being on-line is a DRM system and this is unacceptable, given GOG's supposed DRM-free 'core value'.

Gudadantza: This is my evil and incorrect opinion. And I consider It is good for some people be aware of it so they can make its own or at least one more point of view.
Obviously, I'm not going to change your mind. But if you don't see how this is a DRM system for this supposedly DRM-free storefront, then I shudder to think what you would consider unacceptable DRM for GOG to be pushing.
low rated
StingingVelvet: There's two different things going on here and people combine them in a way that causes a lot of debate for no reason.

I urge people to separate these two arguments in their heads when tackling these issues, it would make the debates much more worthwhile and constructive.
The problem is that people(i mean in general, across the net and IRL) seem to be getting more distrustful and seem to also over hype every bad(or seemingly bad) thing they come across. Take this for example.....gog locks a bonus set of skins behind a galaxy unlock and people are seemingly losing their minds over it and acting like the sky is falling.

I, for one, have issues with GOG myself....but I tend to adopt a wait and see approach when I hear things usually.
(which I feel is the more sensible way to go)
high rated
GamezRanker: And barring things like Gwent, they are still DRM free.
They are not. Cyberpunk is just the latest example, but to reiterate: you must install Galaxy, and you must authenticate on-line if you want to get the bonus content. And also to reiterate: it doesn't matter what kind of content it is. If it's gated behind an authentication for a single player game, it's DRM.
low rated
mrkgnao: And No Man's Sky and Absolver and Cyberpunk 2077, at least.
Knew about NMS, didn't know about Absolver(game or DRM in it).

As for Cypnk2077...a slight nitpick: technically it's not DRMd, it has DRMd cosmetic DLC as a bonus for galaxy users.

Yes, people should complain if they feel the need to, but (imo) it's not as big a deal(yet...unless something worse is found out or etc) as some seem to be making it out to be.
ciemnogrodzianin: Regarding that C2077's small bonuses for Galaxy users - it'd be fine for me (I think we could tolerate this kind of promoting Galaxy), but the whole context of recent decisions causes that everyone consider it suspicious/dangerous. And GOG simply deserves this kind of reactions as they do a lot to make us worried recently.
It is the case of Overton's window. Small steps, small steps…
Look, now we already have people who say "Who cares, it is just a bunch of fluff anyways". Soon people will be content with "DRM-free" games having only a tutorial (disguised as "campaign") available offline, while the rest being locked behind "always-online" DRM.

I wish I could say I don't care for "C&P2077", but sadly, I outright despise the game without even playing or seeing it due to sheer amount of intrusive and aggressive advertisement pouring down on me (a Linux user!) from all outlets and spamming my e-mail.

But one thing I'm certain: the day GOG forces something like this into its Linux-available games I'm outta here for good. Itch.io/Gamejolt or "The Pirate Bay", I don't care. Money is not a factor here. But I won't tolerate any form of DRM no matter what (don't have a Steam account).
low rated
TerriblePurpose: They are not.
Ok..."mostly DRM free".

TerriblePurpose: Cyberpunk is just the latest example, but to reiterate: you must install Galaxy, and you must authenticate on-line if you want to get the bonus content.
I actually used to have to jump through similar hoops to get such content when buying from various stores.

Yes, it's a bit worrying coming from GOG, but if it's content for galaxy users only then of course one has to use galaxy to get it.....sort of like pre-order bonuses tied to certain stores.

TerriblePurpose: And also to reiterate: it doesn't matter what kind of content it is. If it's gated behind an authentication for a single player game, it's DRM.
Can you play the game without the content? Yes? Then the game isn't DRMd(just the bonus content).

---

Edit(with general thoughts to the thread): I honestly don't get the level of reaction for this in general....it's not like it's a story expansion or the main game....it's some skins at best.

If anyone has concerns and wants to voice them, that's fine....I am all for people voicing concerns to companies like GOG.....but acting like GOG has fallen to the dark side due to locking a galaxy only bonus seems a bit like overkill.
Post edited December 15, 2020 by GamezRanker
high rated
GamezRanker: Edit(with general thoughts to the thread): I honestly don't get the level of reaction for this in general....it's not like it's a story expansion or the main game....it's some skins at best.

If anyone has concerns and wants to voice them, that's fine....I am all for people voicing concerns to companies like GOG.....but acting like GOG has fallen to the dark side due to locking a galaxy only bonus seems a bit like overkill.
It boggles the mind that you don't see the issue here. I guess there's nothing left to discuss.