It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: So how many of those channels are repeats of others or actually have stuff worth watching? My cable has like hundreds of channels but many repeat other channel's content, are sports and music/etc, or aren't that interesting.
PainOfSalvation: No clue tbh. I barely watch tv and also Spanish is not my native language. I know there are repeats of the same channels in SD and HD. For me it's far more important stable and fast internet.
True....I just loathe how my own provider basically makes one take a high priced package just to get certain channels with all the crap channels.
GameRager: Not to get too much more political, but you guys need to make sure you don't end up su**ing up to the US gov't too much after you guys get your freedom(if it comes).
Hopefully.
GameRager:
After being rebuffed most people would not be interested in determining the reasons. Kudos! A large part of my rebuke was attention-grabbing. You could be a brilliant conversationalist with only a little effort. (Carl Rogers, 1961, On Becoming a Person.) This will make you happier, too. (Martin Seligman (2002), Authentic Happiness. :)

1. Proscenium.
ariaspi: … If it's difficult for you to separately quote the paragraphs you reply to, at least put the numbers to your delimiting lines too (1. ======), not only to the replies. …
Yes, I concur: my main concern is orphan pointers. Even the enumerated paragraphs seem anaphorically insubstantiated: the comments of the linked list point … where?

The process of re-reading the text to find your referent is not conducive to short-term memory and, therefore, neither for (reading) comprehension. Just add the numbers into the quoted text.

The classical writer and Stoic, Horace, advocated writing beautifully & usefully (dulce et utile).

2. Attitude
GameRager: If I offended…
If someone engages me in conversation, I shall meet them, equally. I do not unintentionally insult anyone; if someone conjures hurt, that is their lookout. (Otherwise the volume of text would be much more onerous, requiring —— as it would —— many more emoluments to sooth potential harm. As your post demonstrates, modern social media burdens the writer with a surfeit of Poean prolepsis.*)

GameRager: … you do come off as a bit arrogant yourself (and smug) sometimes …
That’s an irregular verb: I am assertive, you are arrogant, s/he is smug. ;-)

If something is worth saying, say it, but don’t just add to the ambient noise. Instead make an impact. If someone is wrong, tell them. I try to be the voice that I want to hear when I am ignorant: patient, precise and clear. I trust this is how others read my graffiti. :)

GameRager: Also I do cut back a ton here on writing and replying …
There is no inherent fault in writing voluminously. “The Lord of the Rings is too long” said precisely nobody who liked it.

My complaint is the apparent (unintended) lack of respect shown by you to your readers. Refocus your attention from the effort required to think instead of their precious time. It is an investment for others, paid forward, in anticipation of their ongoing participation in the conversation, Yes? Also, this becomes (a saving of) an expense to you, should you ever re-read the comments later.

To paraphrase Churchill, I can make a ten-thousand-word comment on practically anything without preparation, but to produce something concise that lends itself to be read by others (who may not agree with the premise/s) requires serious effort.

It takes longer and is more difficult but, as Viktor Frankl (1969, The Will to Meaning) noted, this makes us better. Also Treebeard: “You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.” (Apologies to the estate of JRRT, quote from The Two Towers.)

Further, increasing the quality of your responses reduce their quantity. This will make you happier (Barry Schwartz, 2004, The Paradox of Choice) and more successful (Walter Mischel, 2014, The Marshmallow Test).

GameRager: 3. It would help just a bit to know what I got wrong rather than having me re-read it and risk getting it wrong once more.
To quote Yoda: “And that is why you fail.”

3. As to your plea for clemency in comprehending the poetic predicate, salvation follows.

Classical Latin second conjugation verb audēre (to dare) in the imperative mood, commanding the reader (second person singular), through the infinitive, third conjugation, sapere (to understand).

The son of an emancipated slave, Quintus Horatius Flaccus, wrote this 23BC. His verse urges “(Reader, you ought to) dare to know!” (Your translation was pretty good; I wanted you to think more about Horace.)

Two millennia is more than 160 generations. It has stood the test of time; good maxims duly become truisms, and we are the better lest we forget. But that is merely the superficial meaning — plus ultra!

Satire
You have previously stated your desire to engage others in socially interesting topics, but are frustrated by the proscription of politics here; Horace tells you to use satire.
At the Horatian end of the spectrum, satire merges imperceptibly into comedy, which has an abiding interest in the follies of men but has not satire's reforming intent.
[Encyclopaedia Britannica]
Horace (and a century later, Juvenal) have had a pervasive (indirect) influence on all subsequent literary satire. The first English Poet Laureate, John Dryden (C17), described them as comedic and tragic; “…wit can also be sombre, deeply probing, and prophetic, as it explores the ranges of the Juvenalian end of the satiric spectrum, where satire merges with tragedy, melodrama, and nightmare.”
Ibidem.

Horace discussed the appropriate tone of the moral satirist, who attracts ire by attacking vice and folly, in three Satires (I.iv; I.x; & II.i).
… Horace opts for mild mockery and playful wit as the means most effective for his ends. Although I portray examples of folly, he says, I am not a prosecutor and I do not like to give pain; if I laugh at the nonsense I see about me, I am not motivated by malice. The satirist's verse, he implies, should reflect this attitude: it should be easy and unpretentious, sharp when necessary, but flexible enough to vary from grave to gay. In short, the character of the satirist as projected by Horace is that of an urbane man of the world, concerned about folly, which he sees everywhere, but moved to laughter rather than rage.
Ibid.
We could call you Gameslaughter.** :D

GameRager: … common sense advice … should be held as valid. …
I, too, am a meritocrat. My rebuke was to help you understand that the internet is full of people, and some are smarter than you (and me).

GameRager: … how is it me "presuming to know you"…
When I choose correct a comment, it is because I know the comment is wrong.

Generally, the presumption you have is one of solipsism. Although you may indeed be the (first) recipient, in time you will be the least important (assuming anyone else ever reads the comments, of course!) if only because I will return later. (I use social media for cognitive cloud saves, per capsulam. These replies are a repository of my thoughts and perspectives that I may subsequently review at leisure.) So, while I value (variously) your (and others’) replies, they are not my primary goal.

Balloon Help: I play games just as everyone does. My preferred social media entertainment is to facilitate knowledge. I strive to bring luminous flux to bear on darkness, to yield irradiate enlightenment, reducing ignorance. My Dwek mindset is not fixed but growing (Carol Dwek, 2006, The New Psychology of Success).

GameRager: 5. We all crave attention and social contact …
All mammals are gregarious, humans moreso (Harry Harlow, (1958), The Nature of Love). Everyone wants to be appreciated (including your intended readers). Similarly, a lot of (most?) people want to be known, or remembered, or both —— else why do they chase “likes”?

Tantalus
Horace would council you [mutātō nomine], to be mindful of the myth of Tantalus [dē tē fābula nārrātur], when you are feeding the gnawing Fear of Missing Out: it will never be sated. (Daniel Gilbert, 2006, Stumbling on Happiness, noted that, because of the way the brain works, our predictions of what will make us happy are unreliable.)

Finally, Horace said “I shall not wholly die (because I will live when others read my poëtry)” [Odes III.xxx.6, nōn omnis moriar]. I am honouring him by invoking his work. Maybe, if we are successful, others might want to read and pass on our writing in the future, too. It is a noble goal, methinks.

________
* To minimize mischaracterization through Poe's law, there is a requirement to add proleptic qualifiers. In Postmodern times political correctitude behoves us (and behooves you :) to prevent captious offence-taking; an unfortunate but essential precaution in mute social media, bereft of nuance, amongst fragile minds.

** Balloon Help: both laughter and slaughter.
low rated
scientiae: 1. After being rebuffed most people would not be interested in determining the reasons. Kudos! A large part of my rebuke was attention-grabbing. You could be a brilliant conversationalist with only a little effort.

2. Yes, I concur: my main concern is orphan pointers. Even the enumerated paragraphs seem anaphorically insubstantiated: the comments of the linked list point … where?

The process of re-reading the text to find your referent is not conducive to short-term memory and, therefore, neither for (reading) comprehension. Just add the numbers into the quoted text.

3. If someone engages me in conversation, I shall meet them, equally. I do not unintentionally insult anyone; if someone conjures hurt, that is their lookout. (Otherwise the volume of text would be much more onerous, requiring —— as it would —— many more emoluments to sooth potential harm. As your post demonstrates, modern social media burdens the writer with a surfeit of Poean prolepsis.*)

4. That’s an irregular verb: I am assertive, you are arrogant, s/he is smug. ;-)

If something is worth saying, say it, but don’t just add to the ambient noise. Instead make an impact. If someone is wrong, tell them. I try to be the voice that I want to hear when I am ignorant: patient, precise and clear. I trust this is how others read my graffiti. :)

5. My complaint is the apparent (unintended) lack of respect shown by you to your readers. Refocus your attention from the effort required to think instead of their precious time. It is an investment for others, paid forward, in anticipation of their ongoing participation in the conversation, Yes? Also, this becomes (a saving of) an expense to you, should you ever re-read the comments later.

Further, increasing the quality of your responses reduce their quantity. This will make you happier (Barry Schwartz, 2004, The Paradox of Choice) and more successful (Walter Mischel, 2014, The Marshmallow Test).

6. To quote Yoda: “And that is why you fail.”

Satire
You have previously stated your desire to engage others in socially interesting topics, but are frustrated by the proscription of politics here; Horace tells you to use satire.

We could call you Gameslaughter.** :D

7. I, too, am a meritocrat. My rebuke was to help you understand that the internet is full of people, and some are smarter than you (and me).

8. Generally, the presumption you have is one of solipsism. Although you may indeed be the (first) recipient, in time you will be the least important (assuming anyone else ever reads the comments, of course!) if only because I will return later. (I use social media for cognitive cloud saves, per capsulam. These replies are a repository of my thoughts and perspectives that I may subsequently review at leisure.) So, while I value (variously) your (and others’) replies, they are not my primary goal.

9. All mammals are gregarious, humans moreso (Harry Harlow, (1958), The Nature of Love). Everyone wants to be appreciated (including your intended readers). Similarly, a lot of (most?) people want to be known, or remembered, or both —— else why do they chase “likes”?

Finally, Horace said “I shall not wholly die (because I will live when others read my poëtry)” [Odes III.xxx.6, nōn omnis moriar]. I am honouring him by invoking his work. Maybe, if we are successful, others might want to read and pass on our writing in the future, too. It is a noble goal, methinks.

10. * To minimize mischaracterization through Poe's law, there is a requirement to add proleptic qualifiers. In Postmodern times political correctitude behoves us (and behooves you :) to prevent captious offence-taking; an unfortunate but essential precaution in mute social media, bereft of nuance, amongst fragile minds.
1. Thank you for the compliment and kind words.....also fwiw I wish sometimes you'd link to excerpts from those books/etc you list as it'd be a whole lot easier for me to consider reading them all if I could avoid having to read the entire texts. ;)

2. I USED to do that....add numbers to people's text...then some complained about the "bullet points" so I cut back to be nice....which led to some getting confused.

To be clear, if I ever do that the numbered bits usually refer to the sections of the quoted post in linear order.

3. I mainly do it so much because some here said I was a troll or too rude/blunt, so I did it to be nice and also to prevent people from thinking I meant to be rude when I did not. Sadly, some see this as a ruse and me a troll still. :\

4. I said you instead of he with the word smug because I was talking to you and not ABOUT you. ;)

(I assume that line was to correct my grammar a bit?)

I myself usually speak my mind, but I try to be kind and respectful as well...fwiw. As for your "graffiti"...igt can be a bit confusing(google is needed sometimes) and a bit "smug" sounding(with all them fancy words instead of "plain english" being used more), but it is well written and respectful....and for that I am grateful.

5. Not to sound rude(again with my apologies....it is a curse lol).....but you should talk/take your own advice as well. You write huge tracts of text too, you know. ;)

6. So you are trying to say simply to use satire/etc to write certain topics? Why didn't you just SAY SO then? o.0 ;)

(Fewer words and making it easier for others, as you said...)

Also if i changed my name to THAT people would riot or call for my digital head on a platter. o.0

7. Lessons are fine and all, but with the nature of internet text/etc people are apt to take them as serious insults(not me but some) or the like instead of tests as you might intend them to be.

8. How am I a adherent of solipsism if I take a comment directed at me to be for me?

I get now that you use the net to store thoughts/ideas/etc....but that is usually not how people use forum replies. Most times they use other digital means for such, and most people assume comments written to them(as a direct bit after a quoted reply) are FOR them....even if they are not.

Hence without knowing if something is not to them or them alone with some sort of cue or foreknowledge one will usually assume as I did.

9. People do want to be remembered, for good or ill.....this is true...and for some it doesn't matter which, even.

Also the goal you listed is definitely noble imo.

10. True enough.
I'm supposed to have a 4G wireless connection with a 300GB limit... The damn company lies and knows perfectly well the old GSM frequencies are WAY too narrow for more than a few people, and even DNS traffic has high latency...

If I'm lucky I get about 300-500KB/s, if I'm really lucky I'm down to 20-60KB/s between 1800-0100. Some pages takes almost 30+ seconds to download, and in some cases the browser terminates the connection due to time-out. Downloading from GOGs servers gives me everything from 30KB/s to 300KB/, and we can forget about both streaming in 720p/1080p like we could in the beginning.

I tested 4G connection to another company that uses the same tower... and there I get 2500-3500KB/s! It costs a little more but I'm using this one if I need to download something fast.

Too bad ADSL/fiber isn't offered here, however, after my 12 months subscription is up I'm burning the router before sending it back (alternatively, I know several smokers who could give it a proper "shine") :D
Post edited August 13, 2019 by sanscript
In my new house I get up to 50Mb/s.

Back in the UK (With old copper cables) I was lucky to get more than 1Mb/s.
Nicole28: Optic fiber, unlimited. I wouldn't say it's the best quality (the one that I have) in the market, but I could download modern games relatively fast (20gb in less than an hour?). I remembered back in the older years, it will take me a few days just to net a 4-6gb series. Ah, those were the times. Glad we are past that now.
I'll see you and raise you. :)
Do you remember the early internet BBS? Those toasternet configurations were pitiful. A baud of 1200/75 —— if you were lucky! —— otherwise you had to wait for a (text) page to load @ 300 baud (FULL duplex!!!1! :D)
timppu: Somehow Humble Bundle has managed in that, even though they let you use a generic bittorrent client to download your game installers. I am not 100% sure if it is somehow possible to "tap in" and download any HB game if you just know the torrent link, but I presume the tracker or whatever it is makes sure that the download is initiated only from a HB account, logged in.

Also, GOG wouldn't necessarily need to use generic p2p clients or protocols either, they could just as well make their own. I recall that at least previously battle.net had something like that in the client, you could enable p2p so that content would also come from other users, and you would share your downloaded battle.net stuff as well.

I generally like the idea that download bandwidth can be shared like that, as long as it is optional. I can understand people with e.g. metered connections wouldn't want to be obliged to upload stuff to other users while they download.
Back before Y2k, a friend of mine had the idea to start a mobile network built on p2p.
I think one of the free twitter-like apps now uses a p2p protocol, which assists in resiliency (anonymity for the clients), and was a feature of the Arab Spring?
teceem: 200/20/FUP (750GB/m during the day, unlimited at night), 54€
- I don't really care that much about the speed - so if/when the cheaper options ever get a more reasonable download limit, I'm downgrading!
- I don't care about TV or landlines, mobile internet (prepay 1GB 10€) is separate, from a different company.
That's about par with the NBN (if you subscribe at a higher rate, as a high-demand user ought, but seldom does). Most people purchase the cheapest plan and then complain it doesn't give them the performance of the best one. This is a problem because the retail purchases are used to buy wholesale bandwidth, which is necessarily insufficient because it relies on these low-ball estimates, rather than the actual demand.
Fairfox: dont really understand teh figures, tbh.
… Download Mbps 300.79 …
There are eight bits in a Byte, so the easiest way to convert is double/halve the number three times to convert bits/bytes, since 8 = 2×2×2.
300Mbps = (150÷2)÷2 37½MB per second, which is fantastic. :)
Paraharaha: I do not have this so called internet. My forum posts I send by registered mail to Gog to Warsaw - they are so friendly and then transfer them with modern computer technology to the forum. I sent this very entry 2 days ago (because its summer; during winter it lasts way longer!). If someone answers to my post, gog sent a telegram to my near post office in my district where i live. Mostly i grab it after my working hours and read it during dinner.

I buy my games directly at Gog in Warsaw. Twice a year games get really cheap (Gog call this "sales" - you have to be very quick, because otherwise the shelves are quickly bought empty). So i drive by bus to poland.
In their main building there is a shop - you pay and get a purple USB stick with the game you have purchased including receipt. They always tell me that the game is now digital avaiable in my library - but I do not understand what they mean by that. Maybe someday. If you're friendly with the seller you even get an update for a game which you already own and also occasionally a soundtrack on tape or some artbook (which they kindly print out for me).

I am not sure how much longer I can do these trips - you get older and the way to Warsaw is difficult (especially in winter).
Maybe in the future I try this internet-thingy...time will tell. Its never too late, i guess.
So, if your Gog connection was an internal combustion engine, it would be like a one-cylinder marine diesel on a supertanker, with huge capacity but questionable QoS (depending on the size of the purple USB and the frequency of roadtrips)? :|
DOWL: In my new house I get up to 50Mb/s.

Back in the UK (With old copper cables) I was lucky to get more than 1Mb/s.
Some of the wires in Britain (not many are left now) are actually aluminium because they were installed after WWII, during rationing. :(P
GameRager: [… Ironic. Vacuous. Irrelevant. …]
Nuts.
Germany here, in the Ruhr Area.

My old 10 Mbit connection managed to give me 14 Mbit/s down and ~1.4 Mbit/s upstream.

Now, my newer “up to” 16 Mbit/s connection gives me 11.4 Mbit/s down and 1.1 Mbit/s upstream. So, my slower old connection was faster than what I have now, 4 years later. In one of the largest German cities where the high speed infrastructure modernization is alledgedly going to be finished in 1 or 2 years.

Great thing to live in one of the few “holes” where no high speed connection is available. 50m from me you can get 200 Mbit without any problem.

Germany’s internet infrastructure sucks.
Post edited August 15, 2019 by 4-vektor
4-vektor: Germany’s internet infrastructure sucks.
As far as I can tell, every ISP's infrastructure sucks. I'm in the Greater Houston Area of Texas, USA, in a town called Highlands. Here, where there is only one internet provider, the ISP tries to sell me on a 400 MB connection, but the hub hardware is so old that you can't get more the 120 MB or so. Just a few miles away in any direction you can get 1 GB fiber. A friend in that area has actual speeds hitting 980 MB at the lowest and 1038 at the highest according to speed tests. His average is 992 MB and change. Another friend, who lives in Australia, has trouble getting a stable connection speed. She says it goes up to 35 MB but will suddenly drop down below 1 MB, then hop around the midway like a Vorpal Rabbit, then shoot back up to the max of 35. A friend in New Zealand says his internet is supposed to be 60 MB, but he gets between 32 and 43, with an average of 37.

The lack of proper laws forcing ISP's to actually replace outdated hardware affects everyone on the planet.
Finally back Looks like I have to get an extra phone line into the house that has been all the problems telstra tested the line and apparently I'm supposed to be getting 6.1 Mbps it's just too damn slow!
GRRRRRRR.....................

I have had this F*CKING SH!T now I'm only getting

534.44 kbps = Download / 315 kbps = upload

I'm going to F*CKING K!LL TELSTRA!
Post edited August 16, 2019 by fr33kSh0w2012
Fairfox: dont really understand teh figures, tbh.
Don't listen to Mr "intexto perplexo"; he's trying really hard to be as superior and perplexive as ever :P

Seriously though, there are 8 bit in 1 byte, ergo it's way easier to just divide with 8.

300 Mega bit per second (Mbps) /8 = 37,5 Mega Byte per second (MB). (Notice Byte is always written with upper cased letter, while bit is not).

But yes, this is really good indeed!
Post edited August 16, 2019 by sanscript
low rated
GameRager: [… Ironic. Vacuous. Irrelevant. …]
scientiae: Nuts.
Not every post has to be intelligent debate, you know. ;)

Also some offtopic is fine in a thread as long as it doesn't derail.
sanscript: Don't listen to Mr "intexto perplexo"; he's trying really hard to be as superior and perplexive as ever :P

Seriously though, there are 8 bit in 1 byte, ergo it's way easier to just divide with 8.

300 Mega bit per second (Mbps) /8 = 37,5 Mega Byte per second (MB). (Notice Byte is always written with upper cased letter, while bit is not).

But yes, this is really good indeed!
can i download all of teh internets with my internet? ;)
4-vektor: Germany’s internet infrastructure sucks.
MasterZoen: As far as I can tell, every ISP's infrastructure sucks. I'm in the Greater Houston Area of Texas, USA, in a town called Highlands. Here, where there is only one internet provider, the ISP tries to sell me on a 400 MB connection, but the hub hardware is so old that you can't get more the 120 MB or so. Just a few miles away in any direction you can get 1 GB fiber. A friend in that area has actual speeds hitting 980 MB at the lowest and 1038 at the highest according to speed tests. His average is 992 MB and change. Another friend, who lives in Australia, has trouble getting a stable connection speed. She says it goes up to 35 MB but will suddenly drop down below 1 MB, then hop around the midway like a Vorpal Rabbit, then shoot back up to the max of 35. A friend in New Zealand says his internet is supposed to be 60 MB, but he gets between 32 and 43, with an average of 37.

The lack of proper laws forcing ISP's to actually replace outdated hardware affects everyone on the planet.
Apparently (haven't got the linkie, though), a third of the internet now is Netflix. And those streams are compressed! For instance, that crippling experienced of your Australian friend was probably at rush-hour (7–10pm), when everyone is streaming television.
sanscript: Don't listen to Mr "intexto perplexo"; he's trying really hard to be as superior and perplexive as ever :P
I thought I was helping.
Of course, I forget how confusing the onomastics are, having suffered them for so long. (For a while there it looked like we might have two nibbles instead of an eight-bit byte. That would have been much better.) It doesn't help that advertising people are not technically literate, either, and even Microsoft Word converts the second letter in a suffix to lowercase by default, thus changing correct references to MegaBytes into Megabits.

As for multiplexing thought into layers of text, think of the (cognitive) bandwidth issues: I have to transcribe thoughts into a little overton window, on a gaming website, without popping the 10k character boundary. It's not easy!
GameRager: Not every post has to be intelligent debate, you know. ;)
Margaritas ante porcos (or, as my dear old Dad would say, "Strawberries fed to pigs") .

Knowledge is dangerous. Both you and society can be harmed, or helped. And the universe is sublimely indifferent to the moral wellbeing of us, despite Immanuel Kant's imperative. The pen is mightier than the sword, wrote Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Francis Bacon famously phrased it: nam et ipsa scientia potestās est, [Francis Bacon (1597), De Hæresibus x: “for knowledge too itself is power”].

Why would you expect me, strange-and-remote-entity-on-a-discussion-forum, to give you a dangerous weapon? (And anyway, I cannot give you, even should I wish it, such power. It must be taken. The mind grows best through adversarial contact and shrinks with sloth. The cognitive sparaxis, or blade-sharpening Psychoxiphosis, of rational conflict keeps all participants alert to their own Freudian scotomization, the blindness with which the Id curtains its weaknesses.) I have led you to the path, but it is only you who can open the door and step through …

Okay, some more, then. Satire is (usually) a written form.*
Bread and Cicuses:

… Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses
Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81, translated by JP Toner Leisure and Ancient Rome, p.69.

Notice the sour tone of tragic satire?

So, would you like me to write your opinion for you, so you can post it?

Shall I wear your watch so I can tell you the time? :P

Fairfox: can i download all of teh internets with my internet? ;)
Where would you put it all? :O

________
* This reminds me of that scene in Meaning of Life where the American husband and wife are given the dinner topic of philosophy.
»»» casts conjure Monster VIII «««
tinyE:
>> TinyE, can you find that on Youtube? <<

three edits: spelling check failure on 'eight', plus misquoted referent (apologies @Fairfox); hyperlink failure on ampersand.
Post edited August 17, 2019 by scientiae