It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So far Wizardry 7 and 8 for different reasons (W7 has a unique alien world and great atmosphere, and W8 has a great skill system).
Also, I've enjoyed Witcher 1 the most in the series (I think the playing time of Witcher 3 is too long for its own sake; on the contrary, Witcher 2 is too short).
Post edited December 02, 2022 by HIRO kun
Good question, I played a couple games I had/have a lot of fun with, but nothing rocked my socks off like Yakuza 7 did in 2020.

The following games were/are fun to play, but I don't think they'll stick with me.
Right now I'm playing Coromon, I just defeated the second major 'boss', there' 4 or more left. I still have a bit to go. So far it looks like I'll enjoy my time until the end of the game

Hell Pie was a lot of fun as well, a bit clunky mechanically, but nothing serious.

Wildermyth was great the first couple campains, but then events kept repeating and it started to feel like I'd seen everything there is to experience.

I have a hate/hate relationship with Asterigos and a love/hate one with The Knight Witch and Omensight. Those games are mostly fun, but some aspects annoy me to no end.
Well, Omensight rectified that with an update adding more content/another ending.

Edit: Looking back at this post, my take on The Knight Witch changed quite a lot during my playthrough, it's probably in the top 3 of the games I hated the most this year. Here's a new topic for you btw. :P
Post edited December 07, 2022 by NuffCatnip
Rep7icant: Vagrant Story, an amazing game that I should've played back in the day. I remember someone recommending it to me, but I kind of forgot it. I guess I was to busy playing MGS, FFVIII, GT2, CSOTN and SFA3 at the time. Well, better late than never! In my opinion, VS is a classic that I happened to play 22 years after its release.
Wholeheartedly agree. One of greatest games of all time. I played it first sometime in the 2000's (2004-2005?). I replayed it in 2019 and confirmed that it was not just nostalgia. I holds up perfectly to this day.

For 2022, my favourite (so far) is:
- Dicey Dungeons

Honourable mentions, despite all having their faults, go to:
- Tainted Grail: Conquest
- Banners of Ruin
- Wanna Survive
- Lost Words: Beyond the Page
- Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen
Post edited December 11, 2022 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: Honourable mentions, despite all having their faults, go to:
- Tainted Grail: Conquest
I've been very intrigued by reading and watching on this title, but haven't yet purchased.
darren33: Bioshock - I used to play it a few years ago, but this year I decided to go back to Rapture. This is the game of all time for me, even though I'm not a big fan of shooters.
Have to say that for as interested as I am in philosophy and storytelling...

... I still haven't played those games! To quote Homer Simpson: "Doh!"
Leroux: ...
Wow. Thank you!

You should be writing for a video game site. I get more out of your posts on games than most outside sources.
SCPM: My favorites were Daggerfall...
Are you playing the GOG version?
Post edited December 01, 2022 by kai2
SCPM: My favorites were Daggerfall...
kai2: Are you playing the GOG version?
Yeah, it was my first time finishing the game. I completed it before the Unity edition came out here.
Ion Fury
God of War 4, man Im actually pissed off I almost missed it. They made massive improvements from God of War 3.

2021's best game was Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, easily. Fingers crossed for sequel.
Post edited December 02, 2022 by CyberBobber
Chasm: The Rift + Addon
1. Disco Elysium, best RPG of the decade!

I only played a couple hours, I need to find more time to pour into it. But I already love everything it does, from the heavy focus on narrative to the great skill system, and of course the alien but believable setting. I think I would have to go as far back as Planescape: Torment to find another RPG that hooked me so quickly.

2. The second place would probably go to Titan Quest, that managed to unthrone Torchlight 2 as my favourite not-Diablo-2 hackʼn slash.

This one I managed to spend more time with, it does not require as much attention than Disco Elyisum, so I can fire it after a day of work for a short session.

(both got released several years ago, but I played them for the first time in 2022)
Any of The Room games, The House of Da Vinci and Dr. Livingstone, I Presume.
CyberBobber: God of War 4, man Im actually pissed off I almost missed it. They made massive improvements from God of War 3.
Yeah, I never thought I needed more God of War in my life... then I played God of War (4). Brilliant game. Sure wish it had come to GOG.
CyberBobber: God of War 4, man Im actually pissed off I almost missed it. They made massive improvements from God of War 3.
kai2: Yeah, I never thought I needed more God of War in my life... then I played God of War (4). Brilliant game. Sure wish it had come to GOG.
I think it's better to call it God of War (2018)
Nothing has really stood out for me, maybe because I haven't even attempted to play anything really meaningful.

But clearing some of my GOG backlog, maybe two games come to mind.

Bridge Constructor.
I enjoyed it very much until it very soon became apparent that the game isn't even trying to be realistic. If you get levels cleared with constructions where cars cross the river driving underwater over some loosely attached pieces of cable pretending to be a bridge...
Well, the premise was nice anyway.

Stranglehold.
Sort of entertaining mindless shooting action, but when the most challenging part is in the middle of the gameplay, and the final boss level is ridiculously easy, then the game, or at least level design, is not very good.
It's probably one of the more entertaining Max Payne rip-offs otherwise though.

(Didn't appreciate getting stuck in the museum though, something failed to trigger properly, and even though everything and everyone was shot and destroyed, I got nowhere further. Fortunately I had replay only a little bit to proceed further.)
Post edited December 02, 2022 by PixelBoy
I've got a few from this year, but splitting by genre:

- RPG - has to be Outer Worlds. Probably one of the best constructed worlds that I've seen, great plot, memorable characters and two good value add-on packs cement its place on my list.

- Action - Serious Sam's Bogus Detour - a 2D version of First/Second Encounter that just works. It brought back the joy of the early Sam games more than Serious Sam: Planet Badass did

- Strategy - HOMM III (original campaign) - difficulty well balanced for someone who doesn't play that many TBS games (the last one I played before it was probably Omerta). It's a classic.
Alas the best games I've been playing were the most heavily DRM-ed. Hitman, Watchdogs Legion, Red Dead Redemption 2. They all have in common immensely detailed, "lived in" worlds that are just fantastic to roam around. They represent the latest gen and best iterations of my favorite gaming elements : exploration (with lots to explore and details to discover), independent AI crowds (that live their lives and don't simply try to eat whoever gets in range) and emerging gameplay, in a visual quality that make old GTAs look prehistoric, and in settings that allow for more believable behaviours than Elder Scroll or Fallout savage lands.

But I guess the self-aware level of efforts and amount of resources required to craft these make them simultaneously too costly and precious to be let out of DRM vaults, and confident enough to impose their restrictions on players. It's like AAAA games, bargaining their own prices in their own little worlds of their own.
Post edited December 03, 2022 by Telika