It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DubConqueror: And handball is played by walking on your hands?
This was a later invention obviously. There is equal evidence to support both ideas. But people think small of only what is right in front of them.
rtcvb32: I can't remember which but it's like 2.5 CM to an inch... (something like that)

Although i agree having an intermediate stand-in that's like 20-25CM (7-9 inches), it wouldn't fight the system and provide a solution for if you needed it.

I'm reminded of Azu-manga Daio, One of the characters asks if the tall (athletic) girl broke/grew past 170CM and she said she did... But why that's a bad thing I'm not sure, hell 175 seems easier to remember than two parts of 5 feet 9 inches (for me). If it's more accurate and in common usage, the too long/short thing goes away as you get used to it, I'm sure things would adapt quite rapidly to the more common lengths after a while be it for new roads and city blocks, or measuring our height and clothes.
hedwards: People claim that. But, apart from science and technology, I haven't ever encountered a situation where using the metric system made my life any easier because of the superiority of the system. The only times it's made my life easier was when I was having to conform to what the other people around me were doing.
Hmm...

That does seem to ring true for the most part, speaking as someone who, in daily life, is an inch-foot-mile user but who in his professional life needs to be able to interchange between imperial and metric on-the-fly. And since I work exclusively in millimeters when using the metric system and much of the metric-using world talks in centimeters, that simple conversion of 10 to 1 still doesn't come naturally to me when trying to visualize a size in cm.

There is one everyday thing where I wish we would use metric: construction. On the weekends I often help my brother work on his place. He's the guy installing this or that and I'm the schlub down below on the saw, custom-cutting the pieces. At these times, I would find it easier to work in metric. When I need to split a 72 7/16" board in half, accounting for a 3/32" wide blade... yeah, give me metric for that.
This thread has seriously derailed from unwanted Windows 10 update pushes.
Tallima: 10 fingers.
phaolo: Come on rtcvb32, that's obvious XD :P
nightcraw1er.488: If were going with smart answers, then we have 8, and two thumbs :o)
10 fingers doesn't mean anything necessarily. We also have 10 toes giving us 20, and there's counting systems that go well into the 20's used for counting sheep, still used today.

And also apparently a larger portion of the world had a lower base number, probably 8 before the romans after conquering the areas forced them to change it to base 10.
rtcvb32: And also apparently a larger portion of the world had a lower base number, probably 8 before the romans after conquering the areas forced them to change it to base 10.
Well, the romans could be brutal to submitted people that rose in revolt, but apparently cutting of thumbs wasn't part of their brutality!
Crosmando: Anyone know to remove it? (in b4 "by upgrading to windows 10", NO)
JMich: Uninstall KB3035583.
Yeah, that works but Windows want to keep installing it. In some cases (mine) it labels the file as important. I finally turned off auto update and now check every few days. Annoying.
oldschool: Yeah, that works but Windows want to keep installing it. In some cases (mine) it labels the file as important. I finally turned off auto update and now check every few days. Annoying.
Right Click, Hide Update? Doesn't that work?
Seebaer: wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583
wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664
wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214
wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374
wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345
wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249
wusa /uninstall /kb:971033
wusa /uninstall /kb:2882822
wusa /uninstall /KB:3180424
wusa /uninstall /kb:3086255

Das ganze in Notepad kopieren, als ***.bat speichern und unter Win 7 +8 ausführen: Spionage weg, Win 10 Nervupdate weg und Spiele mit secuRom funktionieren auch wieder.
Okay, now in English lol.
Seebaer: wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583
wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214
wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374
wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345
wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249
wusa /uninstall /kb:971033
wusa /uninstall /kb:2882822
wusa /uninstall /KB:3180424
wusa /uninstall /kb:3086255

Das ganze in Notepad kopieren, als ***.bat speichern und unter Win 7 +8 ausführen: Spionage weg, Win 10 Nervupdate weg und Spiele mit secuRom funktionieren auch wieder.
oldschool: Okay, now in English lol.
Copy the above in notepad, save it as .bat and run it as administrator. Stops quite a few annoying updates like the "update to 10" and the "block SecuRom" one, though it's best to manually activate the securom service if needed instead of blocking that update.
oldschool: Yeah, that works but Windows want to keep installing it. In some cases (mine) it labels the file as important. I finally turned off auto update and now check every few days. Annoying.
JMich: Right Click, Hide Update? Doesn't that work?
Yeah, that worked. It's sad that I have to do this, thanks for the heads-up.
this worked for me totally

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remove-unwanted-windows-10-upgrade-files-from-windows-7-and-windows-8-x/

be aware that the next time you reboot the pc needs to redownload some stuff, it may time out as well forcing you to turn it on again but when it gets done the incessant nagging is gone forever.
hedwards: Yeah, well just wait until the come after me with those metric pitchforks.
lol
hedwards: Now that that's settled. I motion that a day be composed of 20 hours and each hour be composed of 100 minutes and each minute be composed of 100 seconds.

All in favor, say aye.
toxicTom: Hey I need more hours a day, not less... a lot more. :-P

Also, since time is based on Earth's rotation, its units should be based on 360°, which they are, if a little odd (1h = 15° of 1d, 1m = 6° of 1h)
Nonsense, 360° is a stupid way of measuring angles. I propose the day be measured in radians. One day being 2π radians. Difficult, but mathematically based!
SirPrimalform: Nonsense, 360° is a stupid way of measuring angles. I propose the day be measured in radians. One day being 2π radians. Difficult, but mathematically based!
I'm still all for the beer solution...
Crosmando:
Marioface5: I think the reason for the difference in how people list dates has to do with how one thinks about it. A year is longer than a month, which is longer than a day. Thinking of it that way, D/M/Y makes sense. However, another way of looking at it is that there's an indefinite amount of years, up to 31 days in a month, and only 12 months in a year. With that viewpoint, M/D/Y makes more sense.
Both D/M/Y and M/D/Y make equal sense but the USA was being silly to not just be like the rest of the world when it comes to dates. It's like the USA was trying too hard to be different just to look cool. Like wearing shorts with a jacket, having a green mullet and wearing your sunglasses at night while also claiming to be a vampire.
Post edited October 09, 2015 by monkeydelarge