It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ciemnogrodzianin: Ben-Hur
by Lew Wallace
You might be interested in Ripples of Battle by Victor Hanson. He looks at three battles: Delium, Shiloh, and Okinawa and looks at how those battles influenced both warfighting and society. One of the ripples of Shiloh was Lew Wallace going on to write Ben-Hur.

https://printsbery.com/cards/congratulations
Post edited February 19, 2021 by paula_g
paula_g: ...
Thank you. Interesting.
Especially that role of the mentioned battles in your history and culture is not obvious from my/Polish perspective (I guess each nation is strongly shaped/influenced by some different battles/events).
I just ended reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. The story is described so realistically that it seems to you that you are also now in Australia and watching the events. Every story of the main characters touches the soul and you are sincerely worried about them. It is an engaging story filled with murder and mystery. The idea is very interesting. On the first page you will find out that the murder happened. But throughout the story, you have no idea who is the victim. At the same time, the genre cannot be called a detective story. A fascinating book about relationships.
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.
Post edited February 03, 2021 by Sjuan
The Asian Shore by Thomas Michael Disch
seba_86: started "La Dama muerta de Clown Town" (Instrumentality of Mankind) by Cordwainer Smith (Paul Linebarger)
Carradice: Might I ask, whether that is your first Cordwainer Smith or you have read other books from his Lords of Instrumentality series.

I hope you enjoy the book, for many, including myself, it tells wonderful stories like no other. If you like it, it pays off to read all the Instrumentality stories, it is not that many books (sadly).

Do you have the edition from the Nova collection or some other one (just curiosity)
I have the Nova edition of the series, it is divided in 4 books in chronological order (I don't think there are any other editions in spanish):
1 - Piensa azul, cuenta hasta dos (already read)
2 - La dama muerta de Clown Town
3 - Norstrilia
4 - En busca de tres mundos
They have a nice introduction telling a bit about the author' life, and yes the stories are unique and wonderful.
Carradice: Might I ask, whether that is your first Cordwainer Smith or you have read other books from his Lords of Instrumentality series.

I hope you enjoy the book, for many, including myself, it tells wonderful stories like no other. If you like it, it pays off to read all the Instrumentality stories, it is not that many books (sadly).

Do you have the edition from the Nova collection or some other one (just curiosity)
seba_86: I have the Nova edition of the series, it is divided in 4 books in chronological order (I don't think there are any other editions in spanish):
1 - Piensa azul, cuenta hasta dos (already read)
2 - La dama muerta de Clown Town
3 - Norstrilia
4 - En busca de tres mundos
They have a nice introduction telling a bit about the author' life, and yes the stories are unique and wonderful.
That's awesome. Nova's is a great edition. Actually, all of the Nova collection looks better than most editions in the USA. These books appear very dignified, with the respect they deserve. Also with a generous type size, the paper is good, the covers will last and they are a joy to keep in one's hands overall. Congratulations for finding them all! :)

Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality stories are something unique, are not they? They could be read one hundred years from now and still appear fresh and valid, probably...

Lots of joy ahead of you with these readings, congrats for that too :-) Some of them will probably stay with you
Now reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. Translated by Carmen Martín Gaite, one of the most renowned Spanish writers of the 20th century.
I just discovered Annie Ernaux and I'm reading actually SIMPLE PASSION, a very modern spirit !
American Psycho
by Bret Easton Ellis
Blood Meridian
by Cormac McCarthy
Leaders Eat Last
by Simon Sinek
Recently I've read Asfaltblomman by Antti Jalava, Sonja O. kävi täällä by Anja Kauranen, and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

Right now I'm reading Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel.
Monaldi&Sorti Imprimatur.

Reading this I feel like reading Franz Werfel's Die vierzig Tage des Musa Dagh (The Forty Days of Musa Dagh) once again. One is 992 and the other 752 pages long. While I love Franz Werfel's books this one was a real fight. 5 pages felt like 50 and this is how it feels to me reading Imprimatur. I don't mind reading a thousand page plus book. Imprimatur, with its detailed descriptions and stories told by protagonists there is no sense of making any progress; chapters being 150~250 pages long doesn't help it either. It's not boring by any means ... though it makes it difficult to look forward to Secretum (1048 pp.), Veritas (960 pp.), Mysterium (IT( 853 pp.)) and Dissimulatio (IT( the shortest with 235 pp.))
Now reading Confessor by Terry Goodkind, book 11 in the Sword of Truth series.