It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Bastard Assistant goes Overseas
A book in a series of which I only own this one. It`s about the Bastard Assistant from Hell, an IT-guy who brings his colleagues to despair with his actions. Very funny and with a rather mean kind of humor.
Learn Chess by John Nunn.
I've decided to use the Christmas-Holidays to learn/improve my chess skills.
The Gambler (Игрокъ) by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Imperial Creed by David Annandale.

The emperor protects!
secretninja33: Just starting on Dune by Frank Herbert.

I'm aiming to finish by end of January. Its a very absorbing book so I think I have to keep time aside to read it at my own pace rather than my usual reading on just on train rides or on breaks.
Just finished the 3rd in the Dune saga (Children of Dune). You're totally right. It's much more complex and... I don't know the word for it, but if you don't pay 100% attention, you'll miss something vital. I found it was not a book I could just casually read while traveling, or being distracted in any way.

What a fantastic book though. The audiobook version was outstanding as well. Truly remarkable.
Post edited December 27, 2020 by Jinxtah
3rd Book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight archive series, Oathbringer.

and godamn
started Shadow of the Conqueror by Shad
fantasy with crystals and floating continents so far
Reading Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough (final book in her Masters of Rome series).
Elven Star - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
"C++17 - The Complete Guide" by Nicolai Josuttis.

Used to be a 100% pure C++ snob, but I've mostly been using other languages in the last ten years, so I'm getting acquainted with some of the new features.
Iain M. Banks (1997). A song of stone.

So far, so good. Cannot stop turning pages. From the beginning, the book suggest considering carefully what the the narrator tells (in the first and second person). Assumptions might prove themselves wrong, eventually (Banks does that so often, and so delightfully). The narrator might be holding out essential pieces of the puzzle. On the other hand, the flow of the narration and the wise mixture of present action with reminiscing traps the reader more and more. There are mysteries to solve, both from the the past and in the future.
Nice book that promises a lot. Fortunately, Mr. Banks (RIP) is known to deliver in spades.
Attachments:
94568.jpg (30 Kb)
Post edited December 28, 2020 by Carradice
Spiderverse.
Jinxtah: Imperial Creed by David Annandale.

The emperor protects!
secretninja33: Just starting on Dune by Frank Herbert.

I'm aiming to finish by end of January. Its a very absorbing book so I think I have to keep time aside to read it at my own pace rather than my usual reading on just on train rides or on breaks.
Jinxtah: Just finished the 3rd in the Dune saga (Children of Dune). You're totally right. It's much more complex and... I don't know the word for it, but if you don't pay 100% attention, you'll miss something vital. I found it was not a book I could just casually read while traveling, or being distracted in any way.

What a fantastic book though. The audiobook version was outstanding as well. Truly remarkable.
Glad that you are enjoying Children of Dune. You know, the second and third book were already in Frank Herbert's mind when he was writing Dune. He wanted to portray the whole cycle of a messiah.
Years ago, read those two and was mildly disappointed. I wanted more of the original Dune, and they are something different. Later on, I re-read them with a fresh mind and without expectations. When you value them for what they are, instead of what they are not, they appear as very fine books.
I have this hope that, eventually, both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune woult be taken to the big screen by Denis Villeneuve. Hopefully the first two Dune movies (Dune part I and II) do not disappoint. The trailer is magnificent so far, and the actors and all the people working in the project, top notch.
Jinxtah: Imperial Creed by David Annandale.

The emperor protects!

Just finished the 3rd in the Dune saga (Children of Dune). You're totally right. It's much more complex and... I don't know the word for it, but if you don't pay 100% attention, you'll miss something vital. I found it was not a book I could just casually read while traveling, or being distracted in any way.

Carradice: Glad that you are enjoying Children of Dune. You know, the second and third book were already in Frank Herbert's mind when he was writing Dune. He wanted to portray the whole cycle of a messiah.
Years ago, read those two and was mildly disappointed. I wanted more of the original Dune, and they are something different. Later on, I re-read them with a fresh mind and without expectations. When you value them for what they are, instead of what they are not, they appear as very fine books.
I have this hope that, eventually, both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune woult be taken to the big screen by Denis Villeneuve. Hopefully the first two Dune movies (Dune part I and II) do not disappoint. The trailer is magnificent so far, and the actors and all the people working in the project, top notch.
Truth be told, I found the second and third somewhat disappointing, because I was expecting more of Dune, as you wrote. I'm determined to get through all the Dune books Frank wrote, but I hear they get progressively worse with every book. 2 and 3 are still dune, it's just that they're not... Dune. You know?

I have very low expectations of the movies coming out. I just know they'll fuck it up with the usual zeal, Hollywood has. Whether it be bad directors, screenwriters, or finding a way to push the woke agenda they are so fond of, I can't say. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Carradice: Glad that you are enjoying Children of Dune. You know, the second and third book were already in Frank Herbert's mind when he was writing Dune. He wanted to portray the whole cycle of a messiah.
Jinxtah: Truth be told, I found the second and third somewhat disappointing, because I was expecting more of Dune, as you wrote. I'm determined to get through all the Dune books Frank wrote, but I hear they get progressively worse with every book. 2 and 3 are still dune, it's just that they're not... Dune. You know?
I can understand that perfectly. If eventually, when the dust has settled, you give them another chance, they might surprise you. The second and third books complete Herbert's original vision so well. However, as you mention, they do not give the same vibe. Dune is so many things. One of them is a coming-of-age tale and Paul's ascending path. While Dune Messiah shows Paul in his maturity. He knows enough as to understand that all his power reaches him only to choose between the bad and the worse. While the first book offered expectations, hope, revenge, the second only shows grim certainty and disillusion. Paul's achievements are to him like ashes in his mouth.

About the later books, God Emperor of Dune suffers of the effect that you noticed with Children of Dune. Maybe more, because, it happens thousands of years in the future. Yet there are connections. Still, it also improves when you read it without expectations. Basically, it explains some of the decisions of a certain character in of Children of Dune, as much as Children of Dune explains some of the decisions of another certain character in Dune Messiah. It is good when taken in its own terms (IMHO).

Then, there is further hope, with the fifth book, Heretics of Dune. This book is considered by many the second best of the saga, after the original Dune. Rather entertaining. Then, Chapterhouse: Dune is a decent sequel.

Since you already are working your way through Children of Dune, I would say that it is worth getting to the end. Maybe you will make your peace with Herbert for not writing a wonderful, amazing, timeless pageturner each time he got near a typewriter, but instead mixing masterpieces with very decent books.

If you ever want more Herbert, then The Godmakers deals with different aspects of the religious experience, and the ascent of another character. Entertaining, and while widely different, some regard it as a companion of sorts to Dune.

Also, The Jesus Incident, the sequel to Destination: Void, was the confessed inspiration for the setting of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. So, if you ever liked the game, there you have the source.
Post edited December 28, 2020 by Carradice
Jinxtah: Truth be told, I found the second and third somewhat disappointing, because I was expecting more of Dune, as you wrote. I'm determined to get through all the Dune books Frank wrote, but I hear they get progressively worse with every book. 2 and 3 are still dune, it's just that they're not... Dune. You know?
Carradice: I can understand that perfectly. If eventually, when the dust has settled, you give them another chance, they might surprise you. The second and third books complete Herbert's original vision so well. However, as you mention, they do not give the same vibe. Dune is so many things. One of them is a coming-of-age tale and Paul's ascending path. While Dune Messiah shows Paul in his maturity. He knows enough as to understand that all his power reaches him only to choose between the bad and the worse. While the first book offered expectations, hope, revenge, the second only shows grim certainty and disillusion. Paul's achievements are to him like ashes in his mouth.

About the later books, God Emperor of Dune suffers of the effect that you noticed with Children of Dune. Maybe more, because, it happens thousands of years in the future. Yet there are connections. Still, it also improves when you read it without expectations. Basically, it explains some of the decisions of a certain character in of Children of Dune, as much as Children of Dune explains some of the decisions of another certain character in Dune Messiah. It is good when taken in its own terms (IMHO).

Then, there is further hope, with the fifth book, Heretics of Dune. This book is considered by many the second best of the saga, after the original Dune. Rather entertaining. Then, Chapterhouse: Dune is a decent sequel.

Since you already are working your way through Children of Dune, I would say that it is worth getting to the end. Maybe you will make your peace with Herbert for not writing a wonderful, amazing, timeless pageturner each time he got near a typewriter, but instead mixing masterpieces with very decent books.

If you ever want more Herbert, then The Godmakers deals with different aspects of the religious experience, and the ascent of another character. Entertaining, and while widely different, some regard it as a companion of sorts to Dune.

Also, The Jesus Incident, the sequel to Destination: Void, was the confessed inspiration for the setting of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. So, if you ever liked the game, there you have the source.
I finished the 3rd book shortly before Christmas :)

I don't really think it's a good idea to elaborate on why, specifically, I thought the two sequels were not fantastic, as it would spoil the story for the guy reading the first book, and that wouldn't be fair to him, just in case he reads our conversation here.

Anyway, I have so many books to read, so I honestly don't know if I'll ever find the time for a book/series with such low scores and mixed reviews as the books you mentioned. I might, but I homestly doubt it. Thanks for the suggestions all the same :)

Also, Alpha Centauri is the greatest 4x game of all time. It's timeless.
Post edited December 28, 2020 by Jinxtah