It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dogmaus: I'm not much into Western settings, but if II ever look for one, this might be the one I will read.
PazzoTheFool: Western settings done well are the best. Brutal and visceral civilization in a new land.
I've never been into Western too much, which is a pity because of the reasons you mentioned. Especially in games it sounds so fun in theory. But it is such a specific part of American history that feels a bit too alien to me, and I'm more of a melee than guns/firearms guy.
Article: Der Klimaschwindel by Dirk Pohlmann
About the fight of opinions concerning climat change.
PazzoTheFool: Western settings done well are the best. Brutal and visceral civilization in a new land.
ConsulCaesar: I've never been into Western too much, which is a pity because of the reasons you mentioned. Especially in games it sounds so fun in theory. But it is such a specific part of American history that feels a bit too alien to me, and I'm more of a melee than guns/firearms guy.
If you'd like an interesting look into the American West and its history regarding Texas/Indian Tribes, I suggest Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S. C. Gwynne. It doesn't hold back many details though, so I'd advise a content warning.
I haven't yet decided between the 2nd Witcher book or The Doomed City by the Strugaski Brothers.
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
Started reading "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson again. Hubby has been laughing at me for reading it so many times but it's just so good!
Whispers in the Dark
by Jonathan Aycliffe
I'm still reading the Brothers Karamazov and Les Misérables (this one I had read already, about 20 years ago). I just finished Animal Farm (also for the second time) a couple of days ago and I've been reading the complete short stories by R. L Stevenson.

I have other books started which I've not been reading very actively: The Neverending Story, Ana Karenina, The Iliad (half way through), the Aeneid and the complete works of Hesiod (already read Theogony and Works and Days, now it's just a bunch of incomplete works, some are just a few lines, it's really sad how much was lost.)

HappyPunkPotato: Started reading "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson again. Hubby has been laughing at me for reading it so many times but it's just so good!
I'd really like to read that one, but I've never seen a copy in book stores where I live. I know adaptations rarely compare with books, but I did enjoy the 60's film... and even the one from the 90's which wasn't as good. Didn't get to see the more recent TV series, though.
krugos2: The Neverending Story
Ah but you'll never finish that one :-D

I absolutely love the 1963 Haunting film. Went to see the 1999 one at the cinema when it came out and it just doesn't compare for me (although if I don't try to compare them it's an alright film). We tried to watch the series but my husband fell asleep during the first episode ha ha ha, going to try again soon. It's a pity you can't get hold of the book.

Just started watching a Les Misérables series (seen the musical a couple of times) and it's made me fancy trying the book.
HappyPunkPotato: Ah but you'll never finish that one :-D

I absolutely love the 1963 Haunting film. Went to see the 1999 one at the cinema when it came out and it just doesn't compare for me (although if I don't try to compare them it's an alright film). We tried to watch the series but my husband fell asleep during the first episode ha ha ha, going to try again soon. It's a pity you can't get hold of the book.

Just started watching a Les Misérables series (seen the musical a couple of times) and it's made me fancy trying the book.
Yes, that's the problem trying to read stories that never end. :)

I hope some day I'll find the Haunting book, maybe if the show does well the book may become easier to find.

I think I would consider Les Misérables as one of the best books I've ever read, I really recommend it. The recent TV series is a very faithful adaptation, I watched it expecting they would change everything or at least cut a lot of story (they did change a few things and left some stuff out, but I think they did a good job with their choices), happily I was wrong, I really enjoyed it.
Same Difference by Derek Kirk Kim.
The Troika by Stepan Chapman.
Post edited September 19, 2019 by huppumies
The Causal Angel by Hannu Rajaniemi
Python Tricks
by Dan Bader
Machine code LEL!

This
Post edited September 21, 2019 by fr33kSh0w2012
In the middle of rereading LotR. Just finished the first half of The Two Towers. It's been a long time since I've reread them and I've been enjoying rediscovering details I forgot.