It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Enjoy engaging gameplay and stories told from the perspective of fascinating characters. This Weekend Sale on GOG.COM is dedicated to games featuring inspiring female protagonists. Play titles like Mirror's Edge™ (-75%), Tomb Raider GOTY (-80%), and The Suicide of Rachel Foster (-75%) before the sale ends 20th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Also, while browsing through games present on this Weekend Sale, be sure to check our article about games from the Tomb Raider series that have recently joined GOG.COM ranks.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Martek: Anyone that doesn't mind - please take a look at my attachment.

It shows which Tomb Raider's I "own", and those which are shown as not owned in the sale.

What I'm interested in is:

Which of the "unowned" titles are not somehow duplicating the titles I already have?

Thanks in advance!

(Sometimes on GOG games get "repackaged" and it isn't always easy or non-confusing to know for sure which "unowned" titles would complete a collection vs. paying for repackaged duplicates of those already in the collection. I missed out on the more recent Tomb Raider releases sale).
There aren't any duplicates in this series where you'd be buying the same game twice, but it is worth noting that Tomb Raider Anniversary is a remake of Tomb Raider 1.

Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld were effectively a reboot of the series and "feel" different to me than the previous games (Tomb Raider 6 - Angel of Darkness is the last of the old games preceding this rebooted trilogy).

Tomb Raider "GOTY" has even less to do with the older games and is yet another reboot (unrelated to Legend-Anniversary-Underworld). That one is frequently referred to as "Tomb Raider 2013" to lessen confusion.

Hope that all makes sense.
Orkhepaj: Oppression always starts somewhere, first with making a group more favored. So if we value equality, we should worry.
Linko64: I too am oppressed because Tomb Raider is 30% off.
Come see the violence inherent in the system!
rjbuffchix: There aren't any duplicates in this series where you'd be buying the same game twice, but it is worth noting that Tomb Raider Anniversary is a remake of Tomb Raider 1.

Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld were effectively a reboot of the series and "feel" different to me than the previous games (Tomb Raider 6 - Angel of Darkness is the last of the old games preceding this rebooted trilogy).

Tomb Raider "GOTY" has even less to do with the older games and is yet another reboot (unrelated to Legend-Anniversary-Underworld). That one is frequently referred to as "Tomb Raider 2013" to lessen confusion.

Hope that all makes sense.
Got it!

I thank you for your assistance!
From which game is the news post image?
Post edited September 17, 2021 by eiii
eiii: From which game is the news post image?
That's Mirror's Edge.
Female leads ? Where is Rayne from Bloodrayne serie, where is Ayumi from Blades of Time, where is Lula from Lula the Sexy Empire ?
Swissy88: 7 months later Loop Hero OST stealth released.
No thanks, I'm already bored of it at this point. It is a great dark chiptune OST though for those that haven't heard it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnxWqYzF1E

Anna's Quest, Silence, and Little Misfortune are great stories with great OST's. That's also a historic low on Little Misfortune, both the base game and fancy edition.
Ara Fell scratches that FF3/6 itch well.
Damn you, I just got over my addiction to that track. I think that tune was one of the main reasons I got the game. :P
Ancient-Red-Dragon: That's quite the sexist sale title and premise, given the fact that GOG hasn't ever, and surely never will, have a sale with a title/premise like "games featuring male leads."

If "female leads" should be the premise/title of some sales, then so too should "male leads" equally be the premise/title of the same number of sales, and within the roughly the same time span as when the "female leads" ones occur. Yet we don't ever see that.

So, why is perpetuating this sexist double-standard against males "okay"?
Zoidberg: Oh look, another fragile male gamer!

Your tears: They're delicious! *nom nom nom*
When I saw the thread title I immediately knew there'd be some manchild having a freakout. I was not disappointed.
Exsurgent: That's Mirror's Edge.
Thanks!
Mortius1: This is the first time Aquaria has been on sale since 22 June 2020. Previous sales at this level were May 2020 , December 2019 and June 2018, according to "Is there any deal".
Sold. :)
Post edited September 18, 2021 by eiii
SSolomon: I generally prefer female leads in games, but this is such a weird theme for a sale. There is no lack of female characters in games at all. This really isn't something that needs a spotlight at all. Comes across as very tacky.
You say this, but the data we have doesn't at all suggest that there is no lack of female leads (I did note you said characters, not leads, but the theme of the sale is specifically female leads):
In 2012, a report from EEDAR, a video game research firm, detailed the number of games with different gendered leads, and found that out of a sample of 669 games from the seventh console generation that had specified gender for their protagonists, only 24 had a female lead. Wired also charted the number of games with female leads debuted at E3 from 2015 to 2019 and found that the percentage of woman-led games remained rather low, with the highest percentage being 9% in 2015.
Furthermore, it's noted in that same article that, even when games with female leads are pitched, they often encounter resistance from executives (and when they are greenlit, they are often given significantly smaller marketing budgets). A notable recent example was Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, for which it is publicly known that the female lead Kassandra was originally intended to be the sole lead before executives forced the devs to shoehorn in a male counterpart.

So no, as much as I wish it was a non-issue as you suggested, that is presently not the case.
high rated
This would have been a great time to release No One Lives Forever.
high rated
Mean.Jim: This would have been a great time to release No One Lives Forever.
Or even better - American McGee's Alice.
No One Lives Forever and American McGee's Alice and its sequel Madness Returns (which I still have on disc) are the quintessential lost treasures among female-lead games. If people didn't frequently mention them on here, I would've forgotten about them and it's crazy to think that these were at one point some of my favourite PC games. That's what happens when there's no way to get them legally on PCs with modern compatibility (not that I know of anyway).
low rated

Post 53: When I saw the thread title I immediately knew there'd be some manchild having a freakout. I was not disappointed.
Speaking of manchildren: that reminds me of that one game, made not too long ago, where a bunch of spoiled trust funders and others tipped over statues and generally acted like thugs in support of other thugs. Now the characters in THAT GAME were real manchildren, imo.

(I believe the game was called 'Tonight we Riot', and is currently for sale on GOG ;))

--

(the next bit is more to everyone reading)

The above aside, I don't see how wanting actual equality (the thing many seem to push for nowadays) in game sales is bad. Well unless, that is, some of those (generally speaking) calling for such equality (in games and beyond) don't actually want such & actually just want a shifting of the pendulum?
Post edited September 18, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
MaxFulvus: Female leads ? Where is Rayne from Bloodrayne serie, where is Ayumi from Blades of Time, where is Lula from Lula the Sexy Empire ?
My guess: they maybe weren't allowed to be added to the sale by the rights holders for this sale, or maybe because the female leads in those games goes against/doesn't follow the "nu look" a number of recent game devs have been giving to women in games as of late(i.e. covered up, less attractive in some ways, etc).

====

Mean.Jim: This would have been a great time to release No One Lives Forever.
Now that would be a great thing to see come to GOG.
(both games and also the side game, Contract Jack, as well)
Post edited September 18, 2021 by GamezRanker