It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've been thinking about getting Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz OEM CPU or getting a Heatsink like CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO to replace stock intel one and overclock the E6750 to 3GHz .
I've never overclocked before so have been a bit nervous about that.
Not sure if if i would get much improvement if if I replace cpu with the Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz.
The E6750 is running most games fine. Mainly play old games but some newish like tomb raider.Replaced the video card after giving out and replaced with Nvidea 750ti 2GB OC and that was a step up in performance. over hd2600xt.
Will be building a new system soon but would like to have this old setup as a backup.

here is basic specs;

CPU-Core Duo 2 E6750
GPU-Nvidea 750ti 2GB OC
RAM-4GB will be updating to 8GB
OS-Vista home premium 32bit About to install Windows 7 pro 64bit
PSU- seasonic gold 450w.

Any help/guidance appreciated, PC knowledge is fairly basic and out of date
Right, starting again since my word salad was full of dumb.

Your current CPU can overclock fine, and there are good tutorials online for how to get up to at least 3GHz on air. The CPU you are talking about upgrading to has very little improvement in single-core speed, so unless you are using very multi-threaded programs, you will not see a huge improvement, and so it will not be worth a lot of money.

If you can wait, I'd suggest you wait to get a new motherboard and something like a core i5-4690k CPU, which is one generation old and should be fairly cheap. If you get the k variant, you can overclock it later, if you decide you want to. The i5 4xxx series is newer and much faster CPU than what you've got. Your graphics card, however, can be kept. The 750Ti is a good card and can still play modern games well.
Post edited September 07, 2015 by OneFiercePuppy
I say overclock, unless you know somebody that you want to have the system when you're done with it. Especially since you've decided that you can afford to buy a new system.

That being said, I doubt you'll be able to get as much performance out of overclocking as you would from a new system.
OneFiercePuppy: Neither of those are prime overclocking chips. Unless you know you're using programs that need the extra threads, I don't think you'll see enough of a performance increase to justify even a small cost. Honestly, those are fairly outdated CPU options. If you can afford to wait, just wait until you get a new motherboard and CPU. The 750Ti should do you just fine for graphics, but if you can get a Core i5 4690k that would probably be your best bet, since it'll be unlocked to allow for overclocking, and cheaper than the 5xxx series.
I think you misread him. It's either overclock what he has or buy a new processor that wouldn't be overclocked.
Post edited September 07, 2015 by hedwards
hedwards: I think you misread him. It's either overclock what he has or buy a new processor that wouldn't be overclocked.
No, I read him right, I just type like a moron when I'm tired.
hedwards: I think you misread him. It's either overclock what he has or buy a new processor that wouldn't be overclocked.
OneFiercePuppy: No, I read him right, I just type like a moron when I'm tired.
LOL, get yourself some sleep or better yet coffee. The last thing you want is to be eaten by a grue before the sun comes up.
overclocking should reduce the lifespan of your current CPU, but if you're going to build a new rig anyway i guess you could try overclocking just for the heck of it.
It all depends on what you're playing. If you're not playing a lot of recent games, two extra cores won't help much.
If you're running mre recent games, some extra cores @3ghz will help.

So it depends; is it cost effective? You can probably get a great price on a Q9650 if it's second hand, but I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar for it. If you can get one for a couple of bucks, I'd say go for it.
I see them second hand on amazon for around a steep $100, and new for around an insane $300 which is a waste of money.

You'd better save that for a new system imho. Certainly don't get them new as you'll be paying way too much money,

If you want some more juice out of your current system, try a better cooler as you suggested and overclock it.
Post edited September 07, 2015 by Gromuhl
I'd rather upgrade at some point the entire system...
Try overclocking, just keep an eye on the temparature in the beginning but if your cooling is sufficient it won't really be an issue.
Overclocking nowadays isn't as risky as it used to be, there has been a lot of foolproofing build into the systems, the worst thing that might happen is that the computer will freeze or won't boot at all when you overclocked it too much.
Although overclocking also isn't as lucrative as it used to be, I expect your current CPU somewhere to go to +/-3GHz before it craps out.
OneFiercePuppy: Right, starting again since my word salad was full of dumb.

Your current CPU can overclock fine, and there are good tutorials online for how to get up to at least 3GHz on air. The CPU you are talking about upgrading to has very little improvement in single-core speed, so unless you are using very multi-threaded programs, you will not see a huge improvement, and so it will not be worth a lot of money.

If you can wait, I'd suggest you wait to get a new motherboard and something like a core i5-4690k CPU, which is one generation old and should be fairly cheap. If you get the k variant, you can overclock it later, if you decide you want to. The i5 4xxx series is newer and much faster CPU than what you've got. Your graphics card, however, can be kept. The 750Ti is a good card and can still play modern games well.
Thanks. After reading up on if the Q9650 i didn't think it would be worth replacing the E6750.
Completely missed info about single-core speed.
As always got frustrated with my blistering 100kbps internet speed + all the all the drops along the way.
I really just need to get on with a new build.
Also should of posted as question and not used the new post

Anyway thanks to all replies
Post edited September 07, 2015 by HG1995
HG1995: I've been thinking about getting Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz OEM CPU or getting a Heatsink like CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO to replace stock intel one and overclock the E6750 to 3GHz .
Not sure if if i would get much improvement if if I replace cpu with the Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz.
The E6750 is running most games fine. Mainly play old games but some newish like tomb raider.Replaced the video card after giving out and replaced with Nvidea 750ti 2GB OC and that was a step up in performance. over hd2600xt.
Will be building a new system soon but would like to have this old setup as a backup.

here is basic specs;

CPU-Core Duo 2 E6750
GPU-Nvidea 750ti 2GB OC
PSU- seasonic gold 450w.

You're in my same boat. Don't bother upgrading. It's faaaaarrrrr more cost-effective to get a new MOBO and processor and RAM than to upgrade the old RAM you have (DDR2, I'm guessing) and processor.

For the same price as upgrading my RAM and processor, I can buy a new MOBO, 16GB of RAM and speedy i5. Especially if I get it all in a kit. I have very similar specs as yours.

I'd recommend checking out newegg or tigerdirect or your favorite parts store (online -- those brick&mortars are horrible) and price it out yourself.
OneFiercePuppy: Right, starting again since my word salad was full of dumb.

HG1995: Thanks. After reading up on if the Q9650 i didn't think it would be worth replacing the E6750.
As always got frustrated with my blistering 100kbps internet speed + all the all the drops along the way.

Ha! You ninjaed me. :) I agree. Get yourself a new build. You'll have lots of fun with it!
Post edited September 07, 2015 by Tallima
Strijkbout: Try overclocking, just keep an eye on the temparature in the beginning but if your cooling is sufficient it won't really be an issue.
Overclocking nowadays isn't as risky as it used to be, there has been a lot of foolproofing build into the systems...
i read AMD CPUS still burn up if you remove the heatsink for shits and giggles. but that doesn't require overclocking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGcnRanYMM
HG1995: I've been thinking about getting Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz OEM CPU or getting a Heatsink like CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO to replace stock intel one and overclock the E6750 to 3GHz .

here is basic specs;

CPU-Core Duo 2 E6750
GPU-Nvidea 750ti 2GB OC
PSU- seasonic gold 450w.

Tallima: You're in my same boat. Don't bother upgrading. It's faaaaarrrrr more cost-effective to get a new MOBO and processor and RAM than to upgrade the old RAM you have (DDR2, I'm guessing) and processor.

For the same price as upgrading my RAM and processor, I can buy a new MOBO, 16GB of RAM and speedy i5. Especially if I get it all in a kit. I have very similar specs as yours.

I'd recommend checking out newegg or tigerdirect or your favorite parts store (online -- those brick&mortars are horrible) and price it out yourself.
HG1995: Thanks. After reading up on if the Q9650 i didn't think it would be worth replacing the E6750.

Tallima: Ha! You ninjaed me. :) I agree. Get yourself a new build. You'll have lots of fun with it!
Looking forward to new build.
Probably go with 2011-13 socket
If you are ready to upgrade to another CPU, I would overclock first the one you have. If you break it, you had money saved for the other CPU anyways.
Also, what Tallima said is pretty wise.
Post edited September 08, 2015 by javihyuga
I'd hesitate to overclock. You may get more performance but burning your chip and heavily reducing it's life seems like it's not worth it (to me).

I suppose, do you really NEED more speed? If just having more cores would be better, then go for that, namely the quad or hex core (4-6); Although a lot of programs don't support multiple cores, there are programs for those who know what they're doing to still effectively use most of the processing power. And a number of programs/games/emulators/engines DO use multiple cores when offered a chance.

Personally i've taken to putting my computer's in low power (power saving) which is about 50% processing power. This seems fine for 95% of the tasks i work on, and every so often i have to boost it to balanced.