It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ciris: The plain English version was never MEANT to have legal standing, as it's just a summary of what the other paragraphs say.
misato: That is EXACTLY the problem rygold is talking about. As rygold stated earlier, having both a GOG's version and the binding legales version is a cop out.

There is no need to have a legales version if the GOG version were to be legally binding. The only reason to have a GOG version of the policy in addition to the legally binding version, is for the GOG version to be deceptive in some way, no matter how mild the deception.

One or the other should exist, not both, and that is the one that should be legally binding. Not a so called 'friendly' version that says 'this is what we mean', and then a legally binding version that basically says 'but this is what we REALLY mean.'

As it stands now, if GOG decides not to honor something written in their so called 'friendly' version, they can do so and get away with it legally simply because they also have a legally binding version of the policy change, as well. In other words GOG can simply choose not to honor anything in their friendly version by saying:

Sorry if you have to abide by something you didn't agree to, because you mistook the friendly version as the legally, required, HONEST version, but tuff luck.

Admit it. That's what this all boils down to, so rygold is spot on with his or her concern about GOG having both a legally binding version and THEIR version of the policy change.
They are not separate versions of the agreement.

They are one agreement and "notes on the margin" in simple English explaining what the points say so that it's easier to get the gist of the agreement or to find a certain point of it.

No statements in either column oppose the other. We've made triple-sure of that.

We don't have a "legally binding version and THEIR version", we have OUR version and an EXPLANATION of it in simpler terms, which is getting a lot of positive feedback for being more legible - again, I feel the need to explain how it's not some sort of "PR stunt", but rather a way to make people's lives easier (kind of as if you said that translating legal agreements would be a PR stunt because it makes someone's life easier and gets positive reactions from those interested).
LynetteC: Still not impressed by the 5 gift limit. I bought and gave away way more than 5 games on a couple of days during the Fall and Winter sales. Does GOG not want my money?

Also, I donate codes in batches of up to 10 at a time to the BBBBoB giveaway. If 6 or more of my games are given out not only will I not be able to personally give away any games that day, but some of the winners won't be able to claim their prizes either.
We had clarification in the prior discussion thread. They mean 5 gifts of the exact same title. Additionally, it was said that if you really need more than that, to contact them and they may grant an exemption. The point of that clause was to prevent "remarketers" who might snap up hundreds of codes during a sale and try to resell them later at a profit.
rygold: Much as I like Gog I find the new user polices to be an absolute cop out. The plain english version is an unfortunate rather cynical marketing ploy. You either write the policy in plain english and make it legally binding or you don't. Having a plain english version which dosn't mean anything is just a dud pr stunt.
Just a bit disappointed with Gog. BTW I'm not at all concerned with the actual policies - just that you have a plain english version which has NO legal standing whatsover. I would challenge you to either remove the plain english or replace the legales document with it. Having both of them is a cop out. It's the principal of the matter that irks me somewhat.

Ryan
Ciris: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - you're mad at us that plain language isn't legally binding enough to use it, but that we used it to explain the legalese in more readable terms for those, that a) don't want to read through the whole document, b) aren't native English speakers and could have difficulty with legal terms?

The plain English version was never MEANT to have legal standing, as it's just a summary of what the other paragraphs say.

We intended for it to be a way to make things easier, not make PR stunts in legal documents. I'm sorry you feel that way about an attempt to simplify people's lives, and if you want to read the legally binding section, simply ignore the plain English one :)
omega64: (c) Regarding GOG services (which includes GOG software), unless you have prior GOG permission please don’t modify, merge, distribute, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works ofthem – unless you’re allowed in this Agreement or by the law in your country

Shame on you you forgot a space between of and them. :P
Ciris: Oops...! Reported to the right person. Thank you! :D
Is the main text (rather than the stuff in the sidebar) in the PDF the 'legalese'? If it is, that's about the most human-readable legalese I've ever encountered - and I have two law degrees.

On a less important point, you still have a PRIVACY POLICY LINK GOES HERE placeholder in it.
LynetteC: Still not impressed by the 5 gift limit. I bought and gave away way more than 5 games on a couple of days during the Fall and Winter sales. Does GOG not want my money?
Please read again. It's five gifts per game in the catalogue. Which means you could gift about 4700 games per day. And if that's not enough, you can still write to support and ask for an exception (I guess that's for giveaways like the one where a single person gave away 100 copies of Legend of Kyrandia).
PaterAlf: Please read again. It's five gifts per game in the catalogue. Which means you could gift about 4700 games per day. And if that's not enough, you can still write to support and ask for an exception (I guess that's for giveaways like the one where a single person gave away 100 copies of Legend of Kyrandia).
Has that changed with today's upload? Because I don't remember seeing that last night.

That makes much more sense and it means that GOG can still empty my bank account! :-)
Post edited February 05, 2015 by LynetteC
PaterAlf: Please read again. It's five gifts per game in the catalogue. Which means you could gift about 4700 games per day. And if that's not enough, you can still write to support and ask for an exception (I guess that's for giveaways like the one where a single person gave away 100 copies of Legend of Kyrandia).
LynetteC: Has that changed with today's upload? Because I don't remember seeing that last night.

That makes much more sense and it means that GOG can still empty my bank account! :-)
I asked that question (as did others) when the new policy was under review. That is the clarification we got. Granted, the wording could be a lot clearer...
Something I didn't see covered in the agreement that I would like seen and touched upon.

What happens to my account upon death. Will GoG allow me to pass it onto my spouse or children or upon death is the account then null and void ?
Post edited February 05, 2015 by digitalFatteh
digitalFatteh: Something I didn't see covered in the agreement that I would like seen.

What happens to my account upon death. Will GoG allow me to pass it onto my spouse or children or upon death is the account then null and void ?
As I'm getting older, I'm asking myself the same question...
To be on the safe side, don't tell GOG when you die and keep Login/Pass in a safe place where your successors will find them ;-)
I love the simplified text.

When is GOG sold to EA or on the stockmarket and is forced to push stuff onto users they don't want for profit?
Post edited February 05, 2015 by disi
LynetteC: Has that changed with today's upload? Because I don't remember seeing that last night.

You are correct, they didn't change the wording in their terms of service (I thought they did). But we got clarification that it's 5 copies per game in this post:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/upcoming_update_to_gogcom_policies/post153/?staff=yes
high rated
....are some of you really complaining that they put a bunch of easy to understand notes next to all the legal mumbo jumbo?

-_-

You realize you look really dumb, right?
Caveat: I haven't had the time to compare (or go through this entire thread).

GoG probably can't make a plain english version that covers them as much as they need to be covered legally. As I understand it, the only kind of correct that really matters legally is the technically correct kind; plain english just has too many verbal/non-verbal loop holes to cover everything.
zidders: ....are some of you really complaining that they put a bunch of easy to understand notes next to all the legal mumbo jumbo?

-_-

You realize you look really dumb, right?
This +10,000

Bookwyrm627: Caveat: I haven't had the time to compare (or go through this entire thread).

GoG probably can't make a plain english version that covers them as much as they need to be covered legally. As I understand it, the only kind of correct that really matters legally is the technically correct kind; plain english just has too many verbal/non-verbal loop holes to cover everything.
Finally someone who understands how law works!
misato: That is EXACTLY the problem rygold is talking about. As rygold stated earlier, having both a GOG's version and the binding legales version is a cop out.

There is no need to have a legales version if the GOG version were to be legally binding. The only reason to have a GOG version of the policy in addition to the legally binding version, is for the GOG version to be deceptive in some way, no matter how mild the deception.

One or the other should exist, not both, and that is the one that should be legally binding. Not a so called 'friendly' version that says 'this is what we mean', and then a legally binding version that basically says 'but this is what we REALLY mean.'

As it stands now, if GOG decides not to honor something written in their so called 'friendly' version, they can do so and get away with it legally simply because they also have a legally binding version of the policy change, as well. In other words GOG can simply choose not to honor anything in their friendly version by saying:

Sorry if you have to abide by something you didn't agree to, because you mistook the friendly version as the legally, required, HONEST version, but tuff luck.

Admit it. That's what this all boils down to, so rygold is spot on with his or her concern about GOG having both a legally binding version and THEIR version of the policy change.
Ciris: They are not separate versions of the agreement.

They are one agreement and "notes on the margin" in simple English explaining what the points say so that it's easier to get the gist of the agreement or to find a certain point of it.

No statements in either column oppose the other. We've made triple-sure of that.

We don't have a "legally binding version and THEIR version", we have OUR version and an EXPLANATION of it in simpler terms, which is getting a lot of positive feedback for being more legible - again, I feel the need to explain how it's not some sort of "PR stunt", but rather a way to make people's lives easier (kind of as if you said that translating legal agreements would be a PR stunt because it makes someone's life easier and gets positive reactions from those interested).
Most of us understand that and appreciate the clearer version we can use to check our understanding of the legalese. Thank you for engaging with us throughout this. :)
Post edited February 05, 2015 by Gilozard

PaterAlf: You are correct, they didn't change the wording in their terms of service (I thought they did). But we got clarification that it's 5 copies per game in this post:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/upcoming_update_to_gogcom_policies/post153/?staff=yes
Thanks for the clarification on that. I know it was around 3am when I posted but I was certain I wouldn't have missed such a fundamental point. :-)
xyem: And none of those reasons apply because you can extend the deadline indefinitely, providing you buy something else.

So yeah, providing you buy something else, GOG won't destroy your assets.
Well it's not like it's something new or even unusual: Gamersgate's blue coin expires after some time, the points I get from my bank for using my credit cards expires after a year, most of the credits, loyalty rewards,etc... I have on other sites also have a time limit (sometimes it's even only 3 months and not a year), etc... if anything the big difference is that with GoG it's at least possible to "reset" the timer something you cannot do with most of the others.