It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

immi101: are you sure? That would be an interesting question. Though we probably should get a few lawyers in here ;)
Like I said, unless a law (written, jurisprudence, etc...) authorize you to, or it fall under fair use.

immi101: But do you have actually some argument for as to why that prohibition of modification should be in the EULA? That is was there before and that others have it as well isn't really an argument.
For the same reasons why most weird things appears in a EULA, to cover their ass, it might not sound like a "good" reason at first but in reality it's sadly a valid one. Creative "Interpretation" of laws work both ways and while some unscrupulous companies/organization have abused of it for their own benefit (MPAA & Co), they are not the only one doing so; so as a result companies usually tries to be as throughout with their EULA/term of service/disclaimers/etc... as possible to prevent any loophole that could be detrimental for them.

As to why forbid reverse engineering ? well it's a debate as old as the open source vs closed source debate the problem is that if you explicitly authorize reverse engineering, you would have then to give "limit" to what you authorize, do you authorize peoples only to reverse engineer your software to allows it to be executed on unsupported system, or to allow them to play an old games that no longer works on modern system, or do you also authorize them to also reverse engine your all new "revolutionary" 3D/physics/whatever engine and allows them to create their own version ?

To avoid this whole new can of worms most companies take the "safest" route to use the safe and proven "pre-made" lawyer friendly formulation we see in most EULAs. Of course GoG could put an "exception" for Galaxy in their own EULA, as I doubt there will really be that many important trade secret in it they want to protect, but for the games themselves I doubt the rights owners will ever allow them.

Personally I think it's not really an issues with EULA but more with the copyrights laws themselves; those are old and/or broken laws that should be redone from scratch, most date from the times of books and other physical media and are no longer adapted to digital ones. If fair uses or more generally customers rights were more clearly defined most of those issues wouldn't exists.
shmerl: One very disturbing thing was noticed in the user agreement:

9.1 (b) We want you to be free to use your own GOG
content and back it up etc, but equally we need to have
legal rules to protect against misuse of the GOG content.
So (unless you have prior GOG permission) please don’t
modify, merge, distribute, translate, reverse engineer,
decompile, disassemble
, or create derivative works of
GOG services or GOG content – unless you’re allowed in
this Agreement or by the law in your country.
shmerl: That's very much DRM-like and usually is an indicator of anticircumvention restrictions. With recent addition of passwords to RAR packages in the installer it starts looking very grim. Can you please comment on the direction all this is taking?

GOG benefited in the past from reverse engineering, tinkering with games and figuring unexpected ways to run them. Now you forbid that in the user agreement. Come on! Judging from that users can't even figure out ways to unpack packages on Linux if they don't work in Wine (because now it involves bypassing a password). Is that's what you wanted for your service??

You know perfectly well that laws in many countries are corrupted and include DMCA-1201 like restrictions which forbid even fair use DRM breaking (i.e. when there is no copyright infringement involved). So your phrase "unless you’re allowed in this Agreement or by the law in your country" is not really helping anything. You could write "unless it's fair use and you aren't intending it for copyright infringement" or anything like that. That would be in line with remaining DRM-free.
Thanks gog, for asking the community for feedback, appreciated.

On pragraph 9.1 (b) I'm totally with Shmerl and I'm concerned by even more verbs "modify, merge, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble", the only one I would accept are "distribute" and "create derivative works of".
While I would accept more restrictive EULAs for specific games from specific copyright holders which are unavoidable, such strong general restrictions for all content is not needed and not user oriented.

Infact, this would prevent the creation ("disassemble, debug") and the applying ("modify, merge") of Fan patches, which were also used by gog for several games (Outcast, Dungeon keeper 2, etc etc). Also source ports for other platforms (linux) would be illegal e.g. Arx Libertatis (due to "merge, modify"!). And finally the creation and applying of fan translations would be prevented too.

This formulation must have been created unintentionally strict! :/

PS: beside, this clause " or by the law in your country." give me a very bad feeling, it sounds like: "we try in general to limit the usage rights to a minimum, unless it is explicitly not preventable by a law domain" ... this is leaves a bad taste. I guess you meant to formulated in a way which goes beyond the bare minimum, a formulation which is so louse the all gamers globally enjoy the same rights, at least according to your EULA? Gog, Don't follow this common and ugly legal habit of EULAs which try to minimize the usage rights of the licensee to a bare minimum, be a positive example for the whole industry in this regard too, make your followers proud with a Gamers' Bill of Rights which include this rights! :)
shaddim: ...
They say a picture is worth a thousands words :
Attachments:
Post edited January 05, 2015 by Gersen
shaddim: ...
Gersen: They say a picture is worth a thousands words :
Yes, now is the right time to fix such standard EULA non-sense as a new & better EULA is in debate with the community! Horrray! :)
shaddim: Yes, now is the right time to fix such standard EULA non-sense as a new & better EULA is in debate with the community! Horrray! :)
Except what they are talking in this thread is the update of the site "Term of use" replacement, not the games EULAs.
shaddim: Yes, now is the right time to fix such standard EULA non-sense as a new & better EULA is in debate with the community! Horrray! :)
Gersen: Except what they are talking in this thread is the update of the site "Term of use" replacement, not the games EULAs.
Which doesn't mean another can't be brought up since it's a related subject. You didn't answer the question above. Why such negativity about the effort to fix things? Your attitude is exactly similar to paid lobbyists of the same DRM proponets who try to thwart any positive fixes for the legal system itself. The resemblance is simply worrisome.

Are you just being opposing for the sake of it? And why would you oppose fixing the situation around users' rights?
Post edited January 05, 2015 by shmerl
Gersen: Except what they are talking in this thread is the update of the site "Term of use" replacement, not the games EULAs.
Maybe you are a lawyer and you can enlighten us? What is the difference of a service's "Terms of use" which explicitly mentions content vs the content specific EULAs? Beside that the impact of this specific general "Terms of use" seems greater as it seems to be relevant for all software/content?

Do you suggest that this part is overall superfluous as the content ("software") is addressed already by the specific game's EULA?
shaddim: Maybe you are a lawyer and you can enlighten us?
I am not a lawyer but I actually have read the first post of this thread...
Gersen: I am not a lawyer but I actually have read the first post of this thread...
You were also actively opposing proposals to drop passwords from RAR packages in installer (since that would retain triggering the anticircumvention restrictions). A coincidence?
Gersen: I am not a lawyer but I actually have read the first post of this thread...
Neither of both is helpful in this context....

Infact, I think now the general clause handling the content should be not there in "Term of use" for the service (should be handled by specific EULAs) or way more granting and only limited by the EULAs.

Or it is just an misformulation according to the gog included comment which mentions only malicious hacking or other disruptive behavior & seems to want to grant all "rights for personal use/enjoyment". I guess this was copied from the EULA without bigger thinking about....
Post edited January 05, 2015 by shaddim
hedwards: If this goes into effect I won't be buying any more games here.
Gersen: Seriously I think the problem is not with GoG but with you never reading existing EULAs to begin with.
And you have no idea how contract law works at all. I'm not an attorney, but I can tell you that the way the terms have been interpreted previously has changed. And GOG doesn't get to reinterpret the terms unilaterally after all this time in order to make things more favorably for them.

hedwards: I mean, what the fuck, we can't sell or transfer codes and we're limited to 5 gifts per day? What moron thought that was a good idea?
Gersen: Except for the 5 gifts per day limit, how does it change anything ? You could never sell one of your GoG games, you could never "give" them apart from using the gift system.
Of course you could do it, and GOG waived any right to enforce that term by virtue of ignoring the issue for so many years. If the trading and buying/selling had been done on a 3rd party site, they could be forgiven for ignoring it. But, as it is, their failure to enforce their own rule represents a waiver of the provision.

Saying that it was always in there, when it was never enforced and GOG was turning an obvious blind eye is missing the point. At a minimum the interpretation of the term has clearly changed.

hedwards: And we need to get permission to do let's play videos? Are you guys fucking mad. You know damn well that the rights holders don't have the right to restrict that and it's more than a little bit hypocritical of you guys to put that crap into this draft.
Gersen: The current game EULA already "forbid" that, it already says that the license that is granted to you is for personal, non-commercial use.

Commercial Let's Play are a "gray" area, some says it fall under "Fair Use" (in which case it's protected no matter what the EULA is) other says it's not a "parody"/"review" and therefore it is not "Fair Use". Personally I consider it to be Fair use but it never was tested in court for now.
This isn't grey area. It's not even a little bit grey. It's never been tested in court specifically because companies know damn well that they can't enforce that term. It's like the jurisdiction and the relicensing clauses. They're in the contract, but they're completely unenforceable. the first time they go to court with that and lose, that's that. They remain in the contracts because nobody they want to scare people into thinking that they have fewer rights than they do.

It won't ever go to court because there's no way they can enforce it.

hedwards: As far as the jurisdiction goes, fuck off. You have no right to dictate California as neither you nor I are located in California. California does not have jurisdiction in event of a legal dispute no matter how much you might want that to be the case.
Gersen: Before they were in Cyprus, and they aren't located "Cyprus" to being with, if they want to be located on the moon why does it matter to you`?
Because travel is expensive and if I choose to file a lawsuit, the court has to have actual jurisdiction. You don't get to name a random court that you think is going to be friendly. If they want to file suit against me, they have to do that in WA, regardless of what the agreement says. And If I want to file suit against them, the likely venue would be Poland. And in no case would a Californian court have jurisdiction as neither I nor GOG are located there.

hedwards: Also, you don't have the right to change the terms of the contract without allowing us to have a full refund on any and all purchases we've made. I'm not sure what things are like in Poland, but you can't just retroactively change the terms of the license because you feel like it. You have to give a refund for people that are effected otherwise there can be no legal change to the contract.
Gersen: Except they can, it's written in the EULA that those can be changed anytime (whenever it's legally binding is debatable and change from country to country), also : you don't know if they are going to be changing the games EULA, they are talking about the "term of service" and the "privacy policy" they didn't say that they wanted to also update the games EULA. And again most of the "contentious" points mentioned in the new EULA already existed in the current game EULA, you already accepted them there is nothing retroactive.
The ability to put something into a EULA is not the same thing as having an enforceable agreement. The only way that they can change the terms is if they allow people to opt out of the changes. I've got a rather sizable library of games here and ultimately they don't have the legal right to change the licensing on the games that I've already bought.

To my knowledge EULAs and ToS almost never go to court specifically because the companies the depend upon them know that they're not likely to stand up in court. I'm not aware of any cases where a company took somebody to court over a changed agreement.

Cell phone carriers in the US have to waive the early termination fee if you refuse to accept changes to the contract or they have to let you continue to use the service under the previous contract because you cannot change the terms of the contract unilaterally after the sale.

I'm not an attorney either, but I'm familiar enough with contract law to know you're full of it. Just because something is in a contract doesn't mean that it's enforceable and companies like GOG bank on the fact that people are largely ignorant of that fact.
Post edited January 05, 2015 by hedwards
shmerl: You were also actively opposing proposals to drop passwords from RAR packages in installer (since that would retain triggering the anticircumvention restrictions). A coincidence?
No, I never said that, you are making things up; I said that it would be more realistic to ask GoG to either "repair" the installer compatibility with Wine or to provide an easy way to obtain the password rather than asking them to re-engineer, re-develop, re-test, re-deploy the installers.

That it would be IMO a good compromised that would allows those not using Windows to extract the installer while at the same time not costing too much time nor money to GoG.
shmerl: You were also actively opposing proposals to drop passwords from RAR packages in installer (since that would retain triggering the anticircumvention restrictions). A coincidence?
Gersen: No, I never said that, you are making things up; I said that it would be more realistic to ask GoG to either "repair" the installer compatibility with Wine or to provide an easy way to obtain the password rather than asking them to re-engineer, re-develop, re-test, re-deploy the installers.

That it would be IMO a good compromised that would allows those not using Windows to extract the installer while at the same time not costing too much time nor money to GoG.
I didn't mean that you mentioned anticircumvention restrictions, but your proposal not to ask for removing the password in essence equals to retaining those. And they are just bad.
hedwards: To my knowledge EULAs and ToS almost never go to court specifically because the companies the depend upon them know that they're not likely to stand up in court. I'm not aware of any cases where a company took somebody to court over a changed agreement.
You'd expect that users' rights should outweigh bad contractual restrictions which try to take those rights away. I'd expect that too, but I wouldn't always bet on it. Even EFF mentions it as a risky combination (see here https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/reverse-engineering-faq). So whatever is really the case with such combination, it's worth asking GOG to remove that stuff from TOS / EULA altogether, in relation to what they control at least.

From that FAQ:
If your access to the code or computer system you are studying is conditioned upon agreeing to any contractual terms (e.g. End User License Agreements (EULA), terms of service notices (TOS), terms of use notices (TOU), a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), developers agreement or API agreement), you are at greater legal risk if your research activities do not comply with their stated terms and conditions. You should talk to a lawyer before agreeing to any terms and before studying any software distributed with such terms and conditions, even if you have come into possession of that code without agreeing to anything.
Post edited January 05, 2015 by shmerl
hedwards: And you have no idea how contract law works at all. I'm not an attorney, but I can tell you that the way the terms have been interpreted previously has changed. And GOG doesn't get to reinterpret the terms unilaterally after all this time in order to make things more favorably for them.
You do know that the term of services already changed before ? it's not the first time this happens and most likely won't be the last.

Gersen: Of course you could do it, and GOG waived any right to enforce that term by virtue of ignoring the issue for so many years. If the trading and buying/selling had been done on a 3rd party site, they could be forgiven for ignoring it. But, as it is, their failure to enforce their own rule represents a waiver of the provision.
So because GoG didn't thought from day one that some peoples could abuse the gift system they lose forever the right to change it ever again ? interesting.

Gersen: It won't ever go to court because there's no way they can enforce it.
I thought you said you weren't a lawyer....

Gersen: Because travel is expensive and if I choose to file a lawsuit, the court has to have actual jurisdiction. You don't get to name a random court that you think is going to be friendly. If they want to file suit against me, they have to do that in WA, regardless of what the agreement says. And If I want to file suit against them, the likely venue would be Poland. And in no case would a Californian court have jurisdiction as neither I nor GOG are located there.
Honestly I have to admit that this was at least a good laugh, thanks! You should be happy; if anything traveling to California should a lot cheaper than traveling to Cyprus.

Again it's something pretty common for a company working internationally to chose a specific jurisdiction; an given that CD Project Red said multiple times they wanted to open a local branch in the United States, I wouldn't be surprised if said local branch end up being in California.

Gersen: I've got a rather sizable library of games here and ultimately they don't have the legal right to change the licensing on the games that I've already bought.
And, at least for now, they didn't say anything about changing the games EULA, they talked about updating the term of service of the website and related services (i.e. movie streaming, Galaxy, etc...)

Also most of the point you disagree with are already present in the current game EULA.

Gersen: To my knowledge EULAs and ToS almost never go to court specifically because the companies the depend upon them know that they're not likely to stand up in court. I'm not aware of any cases where a company took somebody to court over a changed agreement.
So then why are you worried about it ? if those are useless and not enforcable they shouldn't bother you in any way ?

Gersen: I'm not an attorney either, but I'm familiar enough with contract law to know you're full of it. Just because something is in a contract doesn't mean that it's enforceable
And I never said it necessarily was.
shmerl: Are you just being opposing for the sake of it? And why would you oppose fixing the situation around users' rights?
I don't oppose "improving things" (at least not in principle) I just oppose FUD.
Post edited January 05, 2015 by Gersen