It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

If you enjoy HeroCraft creations, we have some great news – two of their titles are coming soon on GOG!

Deck of Souls
Roguelite deck-building meets souls-like. Break out of an infinite loop to close the hell gates, turn enemies into cards, and build your own omnipotent Deck of Souls! Rolls included.

Union of Gnomes
Onwards to revolution in this challenging deck-building roguelike. Free your gnome comrades, assemble your squad, mind wieners (supplies), slay the slavers, and take down the fiercest of them all – Snow White! FREEDOM TO GNOMES!

Wishlist them now!
Union of Gnomes looks promising.
>sigh< such good looking games wasted on the wretched "roguelike" concept. Especially the Gnomes look great. What a shame.
Breja: >sigh< such good looking games wasted on the wretched "roguelike" concept. Especially the Gnomes look great. What a shame.
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. This is the kind of game that is ok to be a roguelike. I'm not sure how these types of games would even work if they weren't roguelikes. What do you want, to play through something like Slay the Spire once and then never touch it again? The only deckbuilder type game I can think of that wasn't exactly a roguelike is Cardaclysm, and while I enjoyed that game there is a reason it never achieved the popularity of things like Slay the Spire and Monster Train. Well, multiple reasons probably, but lack of replayability was certainly one of the biggest reasons.

Not everything called a roguelike is bad, my good man. Though it can be hard to find the good ones among the flood. It all depends on whether they made a game and tacked roguelike elements on to save dev time and add the illusion of replayability or whether they designed it as a roguelike from the start and made the gameplay loop worth the frustration of losing and starting over (and if they balanced the difficulty correctly, good runs really should be more common than bad ones).

I will definitely be keeping an eye on these and checking out some reviews later.

Edit: Apparently these both have demos on Steam. If anyone has checked them out let us know what you thought.
Post edited June 18, 2024 by MasterofFiction
Breja: >sigh< such good looking games wasted on the wretched "roguelike" concept. Especially the Gnomes look great. What a shame.
MasterofFiction: I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. This is the kind of game that is ok to be a roguelike. I'm not sure how these types of games would even work if they weren't roguelikes.
Like Steamworld Quest or Thronebreaker.
They look like something I might enjoy. Both wishlisted. Let's see how long it takes until release.
MasterofFiction: I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. This is the kind of game that is ok to be a roguelike. I'm not sure how these types of games would even work if they weren't roguelikes.
Breja: Like Steamworld Quest or Thronebreaker.
I don't know Thronebreaker, but I will give you Steamworld Quest. That was a very good game. Still not much in the way of replayability though. Definitely value in both types of games.

Hypothetical: If Deck of Souls were a roguelike but Union of Gnomes were more in the style of Steamworld Quest would you have been happy with that, or would you still have complained that one of the games was "wasted"?

Edit:
FlockeSchnee: They look like something I might enjoy. Both wishlisted. Let's see how long it takes until release.
On Steam, Deck of Souls says "Planned Release Date: Jun 20, 2024" but Union of Gnomes just says "Planned Release Date: To be announced" Whether we get it the same day as Steam or not remains to be seen.
Post edited June 18, 2024 by MasterofFiction
MasterofFiction: I don't know Thronebreaker, but I will give you Steamworld Quest. That was a very good game. Still not much in the way of replayability though. Definitely value in both types of games.
In general- sure. But for me there's really only value in the one type. Replayability isn't a big issue for me, I rarely replay games, and if I do it's usually years, decades later even. I don't much like repetition, and the kind of "replayability" roguelikes offer is more a punishment for me than anything. I hate losing progress and repeating stuff in games.
MasterofFiction: Hypothetical: If Deck of Souls were a roguelike but Union of Gnomes were more in the style of Steamworld Quest would you have been happy with that, or would you still have complained that one of the games was "wasted"?
I would be quite happy, since that's the way more interesting looking of the two. I mean, I'd probably still mention that it's a bit of a shame about Deck of Souls, but that's not really about complaining as much as just stating "your other game looks ok too, but isn't really for me".
Post edited June 18, 2024 by Breja
Was expecting some Iron Maiden music with the cover story. Though Motorhead will go equally fine.
100% agree.
Breja: In general- sure. But for me there's really only value in the one type. Replayability isn't a big issue for me, I rarely replay games, and if I do it's usually years, decades later even. I don't much like repetition, and the kind of "replayability" roguelikes offer is more a punishment for me than anything. I hate losing progress and repeating stuff in games.
100% agree.

Did even more rogues come out lately? It FEELS like every second game released has those pesky mechanics...
Post edited June 19, 2024 by Atreyu666
Breja: >sigh< such good looking games wasted on the wretched "roguelike" concept.
Suit yourself. I view deckbuilder games as the perfect use for such.
and microprose's version of magic: the gathering.

it'll never come to digital stores - i think wizards of the coast just doesn't want easy access to cards that doesn't print them money, but that's the ur-game i'm wanting in this category. [and i'd like more games like it, please.]
lostwolfe: and microprose's version of magic: the gathering.

it'll never come to digital stores - i think wizards of the coast just doesn't want easy access to cards that doesn't print them money, but that's the ur-game i'm wanting in this category. [and i'd like more games like it, please.]
I remember that one. Well, a little of it. I mostly remember getting my ass kicked. I was pretty clueless about MtG when I played it back in the day.

Now I'm clueless about MtG again, but in a different way :D

It would be very cool to see it here. There's a chance I might actually still have it on a CD somewhere... whether I could get it to run even if I found it is a different story...
lostwolfe: and microprose's version of magic: the gathering.

Breja: I remember that one. Well, a little of it. I mostly remember getting my ass kicked. I was pretty clueless about MtG when I played it back in the day.

Now I'm clueless about MtG again, but in a different way :D

It would be very cool to see it here. There's a chance I might actually still have it on a CD somewhere... whether I could get it to run even if I found it is a different story...
i have it and all it's expansions on cd. it's VERY cranky to get running in the modern era.

if this were old-gog, where they cared about making things work, i'd be more interested in actually seeing it here. [i mean, i am interested, don't get me wrong. but...]

since we're in new-gog era, that's throwing away SOME of what's important to it and it's users, i just have no expectations either way.

eg: i tried running king's quest 8 recently. it USED to work pretty well with no problems. now? lots of problems. contacted support, support didn't seem very interested in fixing it for win10. wasn't surprised. ended up running it in a very different way than the intended gog way. so, IF mtg came here, i'd just have very low expectations of it going well.

[that said: i'd buy it pretty much instantly on gog. while i'm disillusioned, i also absolutely just want that game on digital storefronts, because it's the RIGHT [non-greedy] way to make a card game like that.
Post edited June 19, 2024 by lostwolfe
Union of Gnomes Gameplay Trailer