It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

yyahoo: Someone on the boards posted a link to twitter recently where a indie moviemaker, when asked about a GOG release, replied that he had contacted GOG and was told that GOG did not have any plans to release any more movies.
cyboff: what? really? sad news... :(
The link in question.
Grargar: The link in question.
Thanks for finding that! I looked all over on the boards trying to find the post I read that in...
?!?!
yyahoo: Thanks for finding that! I looked all over on the boards trying to find the post I read that in...
I think GOG is finding out that no one wants to buy random indie movies. Hopefully this will mean they will focus more resources on acquiring older games and possibly newer ones.
As I posted in the other thread it is interesting, though I find it strange GOG would bail out on movies already, obvousily this was going to be a slow process. Could it be possible the dev simply misunderstood or perhaps meant there movie was rejected on the platform as we know GOG likes to do with games?

I would like to see an official comment on this from GOG either way...
BKGaming: As I posted in the other thread it is interesting, though I find it strange GOG would bail out on movies already, obvousily this was going to be a slow process. Could it be possible the dev simply misunderstood or perhaps meant there movie was rejected on the platform as we know GOG likes to do with games?

I would like to see an official comment on this from GOG either way...
As I said in the other thread, it's not looking good that we haven't received a new movie for over a month.
Grargar: No hiccup at all. The game is published by Disney on . Well, there might be a hiccup, as the game's Mac version was published by [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPlay]MacPlay. It also doesn't help that the game is Windows-only on Steam.
Yeah, I actually missed out on Tron 2.0 being available for Steam. I doubt the original OS X port will come to GOG, as MacPlay's been defunct for a very long time now, and it was coded and optimized for PPC OS X anyway. If/when it does come to GOG, it'll likely use WINE for the OS X and Linux versions.

Wow. That's really, really sad. Though it's possible that they've spread themselves too thinly between Galaxy and the publishers/games they're pursuing. Still, it saddens me that they indeed have seemingly given up on movies.

I wish we could have someone at least explain what's been going on, and why.
Post edited March 10, 2015 by rampancy
rampancy: Yeah, I actually missed out on Tron 2.0 being available for Steam. I doubt the original OS X port will come to GOG, as MacPlay's been defunct for a very long time now, and it was coded and optimized for PPC OS X anyway. If/when it does come to GOG, it'll likely use WINE for the OS X and Linux versions.
I keep hoping Tron 2.0 will make it to GOG. It is a part of Disney and Disney/LucasArts are already on GOG.
yyahoo: Thanks for finding that! I looked all over on the boards trying to find the post I read that in...
IronArcturus: I think GOG is finding out that no one wants to buy random indie movies. Hopefully this will mean they will focus more resources on acquiring older games and possibly newer ones.
I think if they had made some kind of attempt at trying to bring public domain classics - movies that interest movie buffs - things might have gone a little better. Right now it feels like a Doritos and Mt. Dew section, not a buffet of variety. (putting aside what we know about regional restrictions on film releases)
tfishell: I think if they had made some kind of attempt at trying to bring public domain classics - movies that interest movie buffs - things might have gone a little better. Right now it feels like a Doritos and Mt. Dew section, not a buffet of variety. (putting aside what we know about regional restrictions on film releases)
Yeah, I remember GOG saying it was near-impossible to get more popular movies since no movie studio wanted to go DRM-free. But it was an interesting experiment. I still hope GOG will get more rare games!
*making mental note to pick up (and obv download) Trek Nation before everything goes poof...
tfishell: I think if they had made some kind of attempt at trying to bring public domain classics - movies that interest movie buffs - things might have gone a little better. Right now it feels like a Doritos and Mt. Dew section, not a buffet of variety. (putting aside what we know about regional restrictions on film releases)
IronArcturus: Yeah, I remember GOG saying it was near-impossible to get more popular movies since no movie studio wanted to go DRM-free. But it was an interesting experiment. I still hope GOG will get more rare games!
Actually, on Twitch.TV they said they had some studios lined up that were ok with the DRM-free thing but said they could only give regional distribution rights due to the complex licensing of ownership rights on movies, and that each movie is different ownership to negotiate. They weren't sure if the community would be ok with accepting regional offerings or not so they put the question out to the community to respond with feedback about whether they'd be ok with it or not. GOG hasn't officially spoken back with the results of that, but the community generally has a vocal minority with a resounding "no" so that most likely completely kills any chance in hell of ever seeing any hollywood type movies on GOG.com anyway.

The good news though, is that if Hollywood has content that they're comfortable distributing DRM-free that some other storefront out there that does not have any pre-existing anti-regional precedent or userbase could spring up and start selling DRM-free movies regionally to people who are more than happy with that. I imagine it will happen sooner or later, but probably later.
budejovice: *making mental note to pick up (and obv download) Trek Nation before everything goes poof...
A sad end to a decent idea. :l
skeletonbow: The good news though, is that if Hollywood has content that they're comfortable distributing DRM-free that some other storefront out there that does not have any pre-existing anti-regional precedent or userbase could spring up and start selling DRM-free movies regionally to people who are more than happy with that. I imagine it will happen sooner or later, but probably later.
I still wish more movies would go DRM-free. The whole regional-locking system is archaic and only hurts customers. But I don't know if GOG will want to pursue movies anymore since the indie movies aren't selling so well.
skeletonbow: The good news though, is that if Hollywood has content that they're comfortable distributing DRM-free that some other storefront out there that does not have any pre-existing anti-regional precedent or userbase could spring up and start selling DRM-free movies regionally to people who are more than happy with that. I imagine it will happen sooner or later, but probably later.
IronArcturus: I still wish more movies would go DRM-free. The whole regional-locking system is archaic and only hurts customers. But I don't know if GOG will want to pursue movies anymore since the indie movies aren't selling so well.
I agree region locks are harmful. The problem is regional ownership though, different people/companies own the rights to a given movie in different parts of the world, and GOG can't get ownership rights without negotiating with like 50 people per movie and it's a different group of people for every movie. That's a problem that is next to impossible to solve in terms of scoring worldwide distribution.

The thing that bugs me about that is that if they could get bread crumbs in one region and the movie sold well in that region they would have something to take to the owners of the other regions and say "hey, this sells, do you want in?" and probably get somewhere and end up with worldwide distribution in time for a given film, and the good experiences they make along the way might secure more regions for the next film out the door etc.

Seems incredibly unlikely to happen with an all-or-nothing stance though.