It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New Piñatas • New Deals • Last Chances

The final 72 hours of Piñata Madness are here, and the mystery-sale bonanza grows bigger – today brings exciting new Piñatas and hot new offers!

If you haven't tried your luck yet, now's the time with new additions to the pool. These include: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 1 & 2, SWAT 4, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, NEO Scavenger, Wasteland 2, This War of Mine.
Plus all things Homeworld with Homeworld 1 & 2 Remastered, Deserts of Kharak, as well as the long-gone expansion – Homeworld: Emergence.

If you're not the type to smash Piñatas, there are new great games on sale right now so make sure to give it a browse – and while you're here, check out the Carmageddon 20th Anniversary Sale at 75% off!

--Original announcement--
Piñata Madness is back – meaning excitement, mystery, and exceptional deals on some of our favorite hand-picked titles.

What is Piñata Madness?
For $3, you can buy and smash your own digital Piñata, each holding one of 100+ mystery games worth anywhere from $5.99 all the way up to $44.99.
Visit your <span class="bold">Pinata hub</span>, where can buy, open, and see everything Piñata Madness!
Just like real-life Piñatas, they'll bring you joy, surprise, and reward. Unlike real-life Piñatas, ours drop really good games instead of candy – games like Pillars of Eternity, Shadow Warrior 2, Heroes of Might and Magic, Victor Vran, and more!
It's a great way to broaden your horizons and try out games you otherwise wouldn't, knowing you're always getting a deal that's worth it. And if you already own every game included in our Piñatas, each game you drop will be a giftable code so you share the joy with your friends.

Weekly Megasale
If you'd rather know exactly you're getting, check out the Weekly Megasale featuring great deals up to -90% on some of our favorite titles including Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Heroes of Might and Magic III, and more!

The Piñata Madness and Weekly Megasale last until August 21, 2017, 9:59 PM UTC.
ok, my statistics:

1 game which is rather ok, I wouldn't buy it for a full price but it's quite fun
4 games I'll never install or play :D

I guess that's enough for me this time ;)
RadonGOG: Issue is still present in 1.2.19...
How strange that such thing could persist a whole sale long---well, there is a workaround, but it feels strange nevertheless...
Croyzers: Got to agree with you - Rime, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity for 3 bucks as an absolutely amazing deal. Why hasn't GOG sold this directly to you at the price though?
Because they are not charity.

Croyzers: Why have you had to go through this Pinata mystery rubbish to get them?
See above and also: because it was fun and because this type of sale is based on the lottery. You can get a game worth 3$ or game worth 40$. I think you understand that no developer/publisher who is selling his new game on GOG for 40$ would agree to sell it here for 3$ during normal sale?

Croyzers: That's great you have done well out of the deals. A lot of people haven't, and were under the impression that they couldn't get their money back. They haven't done so well and in fact, have been ripped off. I was ripped off too - even though I got a refund - I still had to invest my time in doing this.
First of all - I got very different games. Some worth 3$ and some worth 40$. But the thing is that it is your fault if you put 3$ on the table and think that you'll for sure get something worth 40$. If you don't want to take a risk, then you shouldn't buy Pinata.

Hey, Sometimes product launches have unintended consequences - it happens. When GOG became aware that people were getting products that were off no use to them and didn't know they could refund - a responsible business should have halted the sales, investigated this and come up with a solution to treat the customer fairly.
It is not the first time when GOG does a Pinata sale, so they are well aware about the consequences. Vocal minority isn't something to bother. From what I can tell, this sale is probably very good for GOG, I've spent more money on GOG than for a whole year before.

Gog didn't. It carried on with the sale with no change.
That's good, great sale shouldn't change just because some people can't understand how it works.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by SLP2000
The entire experience feels to me like someone bought the cheapest Kinder Egg rip-off around, took all the cheap crappy plastic toys inside, put them in a bag, shook it up and told you to close your eyes and pick.

Got two games with awful reviews, one without any reviews, one sequel, and the rest don't interest me at all. It wouldn't have felt too bad, if I didn't know I could buy games that actually interest me for $1.5, if I wait long enough, rather than pay $3 for a game I wouldn't have played had I gotten it for free.

GOG simply has too many sales for this one to feel satisfying.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by chlop
Don´t hit me, but I´m on mac and got two windows games :D
I´m not mad or anything (I gambled, I lost) and enjoy buying games here, but maybe they should tweak it a bit.
high rated
I am severely disappointed in a few users who complain about losing a 3$ game lottery.. First off, if you guys are adults.. Shame on you.. You understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway.. Some retard up there was comparing this to minorities not getting a fair shake.. What a jackass. He should be banned for saying something so stupid. This sale was good and it was fun.. and if you can't man up on a 3$ bad draw, then don't play.
MrGrimmX: I am severely disappointed in a few users who complain about losing a 3$ game lottery.. First off, if you guys are adults.. Shame on you.. You understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway.. Some retard up there was comparing this to minorities not getting a fair shake.. What a jackass. He should be banned for saying something so stupid. This sale was good and it was fun.. and if you can't man up on a 3$ bad draw, then don't play.
So how many pinatas did you buy ? And what games did you get ?
Enjoyed the Pinata sale, and saw Gog responding to any issues, plus quick problem-free refunds. Maybe Gog thought everyone had read the FAQ's etc, but everyone's more aware now about refunds etc for next time. People had free choice, knew the possible outcomes, and could easily get refunds, so I don't see any harm in that. Just a bit of fun, and I ended up with 8 very decent games (2 Linux, but others able to run through Wine) and refunds on others done very easily.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by artistgog
Croyzers: [...] What it did know was that there was high probability of people landing games they already own on steam. [...]
While there is a number of arguments that can be made about this sale format, and I'm not one to blindly support or back GOG's actions, the bit I quoted is not really a legit one, imho.

Since the pool of games was not disclosed upfront, did those same people not know that there was a high probability they land games they already own on Steam? Is it really (more of) GOG's responsibility to shield people from this than it is their own?

Yet they still partook, and whoever's unhappy with their purchase, for whatever reason, can ask for a refund (which, BTW, is not limited to Wallet funds). The ToS applies to all sales, and if one didn't know that, then I'm more inclined to think that they haven't ever read the ToS, and may also not be aware of their consumer rights.

JMO
Never seen it before; it turns out CD Project is most transparent when it comes to finances - read the Q1 results at https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2017/05/consolidated-financial-statement-q1-2017.pdf (navigatable from the home page). GoG's at p. 25. Stand by for Q3 results ;-)
The game of Pinatas is good!
Just because of the new pool of games, I tried my luck - got 2 games I'd have bought anyway on a sale, and 4 I'd not even download - not because they are bad, just I am really not interested in playing those.
Asked for a refund for those 4 and it was dealt with promptly.

I'll just add a bit more to my refund amount and buy Shadow Warrior 2 or pre-order Hob :)
Post edited August 19, 2017 by IFW
HypersomniacLive: Yet they still partook, and whoever's unhappy with their purchase, for whatever reason, can ask for a refund (which, BTW, is not limited to Wallet funds). The ToS applies to all sales, and if one didn't know that, then I'm more inclined to think that they haven't ever read the ToS, and may also not be aware of their consumer rights.
Exactly! People should remember that they agreed to these terms when they created their account. It is not GOG's fault if they crossed the checkbox to have read them without actually ever doing so.
MrGrimmX: I am severely disappointed in a few users who complain about losing a 3$ game lottery.. First off, if you guys are adults.. Shame on you.. You understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway.. ...This sale was good and it was fun.. and if you can't man up on a 3$ bad draw, then don't play.
I liken this somewhat to going to see a movie. Imagine a movie theater that normally sells tickets for $7 advertises a special movie event, saying something like:

"For $3 you can come and watch any one of 200+ randomly selected movies. These movies will bring you joy, surprise, and reward. Our movies are really good and hand-picked - you can expect to see such movies as [a very brief list of triple A and highly rated and acclaimed titles is given]. It's a great way to broaden your horizons and try out movies you otherwise wouldn't, knowing you're always watching a movie that's worth it."

The movies are completely random and, except for 4-5 titles, completely unknown. You won't know what movie you've paid for until you walk into the theater, are handed your ticket, and sit down as the film starts playing. It sounds interesting and promising, and so you gather up your family and take them to check out this great event.

So what happens if the movie turns out to be a horror, comedy, drama, silent film, suspense, anime, etc., and you just don't like that genre? Or what if it's a movie with a director, actor/actress, or message that you don't like or morally disagree with and do not support? Or what if it turns out to be a B-rated low-budget film that went straight to DVD and had horrible or mixed reviews? Or what if it's rated R or NC-17 and not suited for viewing with children around (of which you have several)? Or what if you already own the movie on DVD, or have seen it several times before, and you just aren't in the mood or don't want to have to pay to watch it again? Or what if it's a 3-D film that requires special 3-D glasses, or has crazy lighting, camera angles/shots, or other special effects, which bother your eyes, cause nausea, discomfort, or even seizures? What if you simply just have buyer's remorse, because even though it's a great movie at a great deal you really needed to keep that money for rent, food, or other necessities of life instead of splurging it on one or two hours of entertainment? Or what if you feel ripped off because you know this particular film (and the dozen others you 'scored') is regularly shown at this theater for $1 and you have now just paid $3 to see it? Or what if you feel that you have been exploited with false advertising because the majority of films don't meet your expectations or what the advertisement suggested?

Whatever the case, scenario, or reasoning, you legally, morally, and ethically have the right as a consumer to walk out of that theater and demand a refund, or to see a different film instead. Whether or not you fully "understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway." That is your right. No shame involved. You also have the right to decide and stay in the theater and finish watching the film, or even walk out without watching it and accept your 'losses' of $3. No shame involved either.

Same goes for this Pinata event.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by Onsdag
This sale did nothing for me. This is the first gog sale I have not purchased a single item.

I think in part it is not wanting to add games to my collection that I will never play (there are likely too many of those already), so the random nature of the sale is not a drawing card.

Hope all you that participated got some great titles for $3; that is a good day I am sure.

I hope they offer better sales in the future where it is not resting on randomness. .
high rated
MrGrimmX: I am severely disappointed in a few users who complain about losing a 3$ game lottery.. First off, if you guys are adults.. Shame on you.. You understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway.. ...This sale was good and it was fun.. and if you can't man up on a 3$ bad draw, then don't play.
Onsdag: I liken this somewhat to going to see a movie. Imagine a movie theater that normally sells tickets for $7 advertises a special movie event, saying something like:

"For $3 you can come and watch any one of 200+ randomly selected movies. These movies will bring you joy, surprise, and reward. Our movies are really good and hand-picked - you can expect to see such movies as [a very brief list of triple A and highly rated and acclaimed titles is given]. It's a great way to broaden your horizons and try out movies you otherwise wouldn't, knowing you're always watching a movie that's worth it."

[snip]

Whatever the case, scenario, or reasoning, you legally, morally, and ethically have the right as a consumer to walk out of that theater and demand a refund, or to see a different film instead. Whether or not you fully "understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway." That is your right. No shame involved. You also have the right to decide and stay in the theater and finish watching the film. No shame involved either.

Same goes for this Pinata event.
Except that you knew going in that there was a chance you would be dissatisfied. Not to mention that, since this situation doesn't exist in the real world, it's a strawman anyway.

I don't have a problem either way (people being allowed to receive refunds or not), but I did grow up in the 1970s, where "grab bags" were a thing at flea markets and corner Mom-n-Pop stores. You paid anywhere from $0.25 to $1.00 and what you got was what you got, period. You knew there was a risk going in, and so there was no argument or hard feelings if what we got wasn't what we'd hoped for.

I said I don't have a problem with GOG's decision to allow to receive refunds or not, and I don't. However, the self-entitled attitude of many of them seems ridiculous to me. Purchasers don't have the right cry "foul!" in the outcome when they knew the risks entering into the agreement. Moreover, when they clicked that "purchase" button, purchasers were legally admitting as much, and it would be completely within GOG's rights to refuse refunds (as most other "mystery game" sites do).

(Edited typo)
Post edited August 19, 2017 by SpiderFighter