It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New Piñatas • New Deals • Last Chances

The final 72 hours of Piñata Madness are here, and the mystery-sale bonanza grows bigger – today brings exciting new Piñatas and hot new offers!

If you haven't tried your luck yet, now's the time with new additions to the pool. These include: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 1 & 2, SWAT 4, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, NEO Scavenger, Wasteland 2, This War of Mine.
Plus all things Homeworld with Homeworld 1 & 2 Remastered, Deserts of Kharak, as well as the long-gone expansion – Homeworld: Emergence.

If you're not the type to smash Piñatas, there are new great games on sale right now so make sure to give it a browse – and while you're here, check out the Carmageddon 20th Anniversary Sale at 75% off!

--Original announcement--
Piñata Madness is back – meaning excitement, mystery, and exceptional deals on some of our favorite hand-picked titles.

What is Piñata Madness?
For $3, you can buy and smash your own digital Piñata, each holding one of 100+ mystery games worth anywhere from $5.99 all the way up to $44.99.
Visit your <span class="bold">Pinata hub</span>, where can buy, open, and see everything Piñata Madness!
Just like real-life Piñatas, they'll bring you joy, surprise, and reward. Unlike real-life Piñatas, ours drop really good games instead of candy – games like Pillars of Eternity, Shadow Warrior 2, Heroes of Might and Magic, Victor Vran, and more!
It's a great way to broaden your horizons and try out games you otherwise wouldn't, knowing you're always getting a deal that's worth it. And if you already own every game included in our Piñatas, each game you drop will be a giftable code so you share the joy with your friends.

Weekly Megasale
If you'd rather know exactly you're getting, check out the Weekly Megasale featuring great deals up to -90% on some of our favorite titles including Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Heroes of Might and Magic III, and more!

The Piñata Madness and Weekly Megasale last until August 21, 2017, 9:59 PM UTC.
This thing isnt for me, big disappointment with 5 tries, 3 games that I never would buy, one that reviews say have bugs and developer abandoned GOG version(and so is another no buy for me) and the last may be playable(I hope) and of top of that at least one game I remenber to see on promo before for half pinatas price, is a bunch of bad deals and so is a hard learned lesson, to never buy on these mystery rip offs.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by SansearVX
*Complaint follows*

Now, a late post(all damage already done): refunding pinata games at will (for no technical reason, including the easily exploitable "I own the game elsewhere"), just because "I don't like the game" worsens *my* experience of an honest "mystery sale" attendee. (Yes, I have duplicates on Steam but I'll not complain about it - it's part of the game).

As there are indications(see prev. posts) that buy/refund behavior degrades the quality of the pool (unfortunately GoG doesn't disclose content and quality, probably to keep the popularity of the event), would the people not willing to take the risk step out ? Thank you for your understanding! (Could be too late though, see start)

Is the mystery sale a gambling and should it be regulated? I don't care unless I (the attendee) take part in a criminal business but I presume GoG did their homework/legal stuff.

Does it look like a gambling to me? Following https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling it does, but see above.

Edit: typo & structure
Post edited August 19, 2017 by i_ni
Lessons learned: People winning a lottery are supremacists. :D

Decided to get a new batch of 5 with the current improvements to the system, and have to say: not bad.

Was even less lucky than the first time (no games from my wishlist, another Steam duplicate and three games that are just not my kind of game - only one I might actually try since it looks fun). BUT the perceived value is much higher (and the gamble thus more "fulfilling"), since none of the games was discounted for anything lower than $6.

Of course I'm aware that two of the games would have been discounted at $2.99 during a sale, but it's much less in-your-face.

I agree that simply removing games from the sale to artificially raise the perceived value wasn't the smartest move PR-wise (removing games from the Piñata and exchanging them for games not on sales was IMHO). But I still think overall this is a huge improvement from the original deals.

Guess I'll treat myself to another batch tomorrow. Though I already own most of the new Jackpot games, too, so I'm still not in for one of the really sweet deals. :D
forum problem eating first post lol
Post edited August 18, 2017 by SansearVX
I am once again receiving duplicates without any warning on the Pinata page about owning all games in the pool. The warning was working yesterday.
ajkishel: I am once again receiving duplicates without any warning on the Pinata page about owning all games in the pool. The warning was working yesterday.
These are bad news, because I really wanted to buy some more pinatas.

After so many posts this whole pinata system still confuses me :S.
PromZA: That's exactly it, they have to be added. Unless you're talking about some technical issue but the wiki is working correctly on my side. I can go through the last couple of posts after the corrections and add a few.
MarkoH01: I was jsut wondering because th elist has been edited at least 2 times but there does not seem to be any game on it yet. So basically the list is still empty?
At 141 so far.

Kristian: I could put it differently: Why should I and others be deprived of a sale we have enjoyed immensely?
Zoidberg: Because it is morally questionnable.

This is all about fucking others to put yourself above. I got shit for what I paid and you got great stuff for what you paid.

How is this acceptable? Things are good for some and bad for others, too bad for those who are fucked?

Black people, women, and other minorities are fucked but too bad as long as racists and white supremacists have it fine?

No, I'm utterly against that view of things and I will boycott any further sale that will encourage that kind of behaviour you're showing.
Ok that's it. I've had it with the few complaining just because they received what they consider crap. I respect people saying what they got for transparency but this has been the worst post of all. You took a chance you knew you could get either crap or a great game. If you don't want it then don't download it and ask for a refund. Others here have enjoyed it even through the bugs.
Congrats on another sale that was well-designed ... to remind Mac and Linux customers how little they matter.
Got:
Anno 1404: Gold Edition
Kyn
Mount & Blade: Warband
Political Animals
The Walking Dead: Season 1

Two games I could have gotten slightly cheaper either recently or if I was interested and waited but ya, not a bad deal I guess. Except WD: Season 1 I just bought in the Pay What You Want bundle.
Pillars of Eternity, Anno 1602 and Seven Kingdoms 2 HD. I'm happy. Bought the dlc for pillars.
Croyzers: I see GOG have recently updated this and are contiunieng with this over the weekend - oh well.

For anybody seeing this for the first time, GOG have confirmed that they will refund games you have received from this sale and haven't downloaded (as they are required to do)

So, buy as many Pinata's as GOG lets you! Then gets refunds for all the broken worthless crap that GOG have selected to be included in this sale.
Tsulan: so... is this legal? can they ban me for abusing this or anything? any official word?
Yes, it's totally legal for you to refund everything you haven't download (within a certain time-frame of course).

Don't feel you are abusing the system, or doing anthying "wrong" - you aren't. GOG is in the wrong by trying to sell you those games in this manner.

GOG has actively chosen to include games that are bug-ridden and broken - somebody has actually made the effort to include them in this sale.
GOG could have sold you the game directly for the price of the pinata, and removed the risk of you buying a game you didn't want - they didn't
When GOG became aware that people were getting duplicates of games they already have on Steam, they could have updated the FAQ to let them know - they didn't.
GOG has given the impression that this sale is a "gamble" - it most certainly should not be.

GOG shouldn't be trying to trick you into accepting goods that are unfit to be sold and / or good you don't need - even if a refund option is there. It has relied on people's good nature to accept those goods. This is mis-selling and it stinks. It's a shady business practice.

I'm disgusted by GOG with this sale.

Also, please don't think I hold a grudge against anyone who got the games they wanted for a cheap price. All I can say is - good on you! Just make sure you get refunds for the crap you don't want / already have.
Croyzers: When GOG became aware that people were getting duplicates of games they already have on Steam, they could have updated the FAQ to let them know - they didn't.
Come on . Even you know that's impossible . ( not everyone knows about Gog Connect , or linked their Steam account )
Croyzers: When GOG became aware that people were getting duplicates of games they already have on Steam, they could have updated the FAQ to let them know - they didn't.
Painted_Doll: Come on . Even you know that's impossible . ( not everyone knows about Gog Connect , or linked their Steam account )
Yep, it is impossible for GOG to know every game you have on steam. What it did know was that there was high probability of people landing games they already own on steam. They could have easily made it clear that those games were eligable for refund.

They didn't. People in this thread didn't know they could refund and thought they were stuck with a game they didn't need. Gog has profited from that.

That stinks.
Croyzers: I'm disgusted by GOG with this sale.
Just because you said this, I have to reply.

I love pinata sales. Not only they are fun (I love the anxiety which game I will get, even if I know the list thanks to tracker), but also there are deals that are not ever to be seen on a regular sale.

Come on, Rime, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity for 3 bucks? There are plenty very new games during pinata for 3 bucks, or games that were never on sale for such money.

If you are looking for a certain type of games, or specific games, this sale is not for you. But it's not like someone force you to buy Pinatas.

On the other hand, if you get as many games as possible, just to have option to play them, Pinata sale allows you to buy games at prices you won't get. Or at least, not soon.

As I said - I love Pinata sales, they are the best sales on GOG.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by SLP2000
Croyzers: I'm disgusted by GOG with this sale.
SLP2000: Just because you said this, I have to reply.

I love pinata sales. Not only they are fun (I love the anxiety which game I will get, even if I know the list thanks to tracker), but also there are deals that are not ever to be seen on a regular sale.

Come on, Rime, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity for 3 bucks? There are plenty very new games during pinata for 3 bucks, or games that were never on sale for such money.

If you are looking for a certain type of games, or specific games, this sale is not for you. But it's not like someone force you to buy Pinatas.

On the other hand, if you get as many games as possible, just to have option to play them, Pinata sale allows you to buy games at prices you won't get. Or at least, not soon.

As I said - I love Pinata sales, they are the best sales on GOG.
Got to agree with you - Rime, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity for 3 bucks as an absolutely amazing deal. Why hasn't GOG sold this directly to you at the price though? Why have you had to go through this Pinata mystery rubbish to get them?

That's great you have done well out of the deals. A lot of people haven't, and were under the impression that they couldn't get their money back. They haven't done so well and in fact, have been ripped off. I was ripped off too - even though I got a refund - I still had to invest my time in doing this.

Hey, Sometimes product launches have unintended consequences - it happens. When GOG became aware that people were getting products that were off no use to them and didn't know they could refund - a responsible business should have halted the sales, investigated this and come up with a solution to treat the customer fairly.

Gog didn't. It carried on with the sale with no change.