It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Drakhyrr: Well, I am under a lot of pressure to find a job - mostly from myself, but because I think it's actually time to do something different with my life. Finally get a home, a driver's license and a car for myself, stop my family from trying to control me. Maybe going out at night, picking up some girls... Things people usually do in college that I didn't have a chance to.

Gaming just don't seem attractive with all these goals in mind. I'm not doing any of that without a job, though. I think 10 months of unemployment just have that kind of effect on people.
Just asking because the feelings you expressed towards gaming seem similar to a general burn out.

Jorean: Nah. Those got flushed as soon as I got home.
Well done!
Jaime: Just asking because the feelings you expressed towards gaming seem similar to a general burn out.
Now that you mention it, I've barely been listening to music either. That just might be the case.

What should I do now?
Drakhyrr: Now that you mention it, I've barely been listening to music either. That just might be the case.

What should I do now?
Are you making fun of me.
Drakhyrr: Now that you mention it, I've barely been listening to music either. That just might be the case.

What should I do now?
Jaime: Are you making fun of me.
No I'm not?

Well, I did say I need to do some general changing in my life... It might just be because I'm tired of everything I've been doing for the past 20 years?
Drakhyrr: No I'm not?

Well, I did say I need to do some general changing in my life... It might just be because I'm tired of everything I've been doing for the past 20 years?
Well, OK. To reiterate my point, I think it's fine to get, temporarily or not, weary of a hobby, as long as one's able to find opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment elsewhere.

If you're really experiencing a prolonged phase of general listlessness, you should talk to an expert. Have you got family doctor (hope that's the right word)? He might be able to refer you to someone.
Jaime: Well, OK. To reiterate my point, I think it's fine to get, temporarily or not, weary of a hobby, as long as one's able to find opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment elsewhere.

If you're really experiencing a prolonged phase of general listlessness, you should talk to an expert. Have you got family doctor (hope that's the right word)? He might be able to refer you to someone.
I... Might have taken video games more seriously than I should. As in, they've been more than a hobby for most of my life. Didn't cause me any problems on studies, but I recognize they probably took more than they should from the rest of my life.

Perhaps things will straighten out if I give then some time and, when I return, put them into a true hobby position, not a way of life, as they were.

I think I get what you mean about a doctor, though things work a little differently here. I, however, don't consider myself depressive or anything - I just have some major goals that I won't be able to achieve before this first one, and that is not enough to fill my time.
Drakhyrr: I think I get what you mean about a doctor, though things work a little differently here. I, however, don't consider myself depressive or anything - I just have some major goals that I won't be able to achieve before this first one, and that is not enough to fill my time.
Oh, I don't want to try to talk you into anything. Just agree with you that there's no point, and maybe even harm, in persisting with gaming when one isn't having fun. It's not going anywhere, one can always come back!

I've experienced a somewhat similar situation, in that I realized I was wasting a lot of time on games, like finishing some off even though I didn't actually like them, or grinding RPGs. It feels kinda weird at first to stop after having played through half the content, but what the heck, I'm not a professional reviewer! In the last twelve months I haven't gamed a lot, but it was all quality time, and that has freed up a lot of alone time for things like drawing, which I've always wanted to do.
Drakhyrr: I think I get what you mean about a doctor, though things work a little differently here. I, however, don't consider myself depressive or anything - I just have some major goals that I won't be able to achieve before this first one, and that is not enough to fill my time.
Jaime: Oh, I don't want to try to talk you into anything. Just agree with you that there's no point, and maybe even harm, in persisting with gaming when one isn't having fun. It's not going anywhere, one can always come back!

I've experienced a somewhat similar situation, in that I realized I was wasting a lot of time on games, like finishing some off even though I didn't actually like them, or grinding RPGs. It feels kinda weird at first to stop after having played through half the content, but what the heck, I'm not a professional reviewer! In the last twelve months I haven't gamed a lot, but it was all quality time, and that has freed up a lot of alone time for things like drawing, which I've always wanted to do.
I think I can relate to this feelings myself. I have taken gaming too serious in the past. When I reach points in my life where I can no longer play the games I want to (like right now because of time restrictions) it feels like something is missing. I hate myself for this feelings because I know that games should be something you do for fun and when there is time to do it. Games shouldn't matter that much and not playing games should not truly upset me.

The problem is maybe that games can give you a shortcut to that part in your brain that rewards you for achievements. I noticed this especially when I grinded for my first mount in WoW many years ago. It took me insane amounts of dull grinding but at the end I got this artificial reward and I was really happy because of my achievement. This is as ridiculous as it may sound...
Post edited September 24, 2012 by itti
Jaime: Games are supposed to be fun, they don't provide any secondary benefits like, say, doing sports.
I think some games can have positive effects, depending on the circumstances. Learning and improved motor skills come to mind. Not that it's necessarily relevant here.
Post edited September 24, 2012 by Primate
Friggin' customs / tariff crap for commercial goods.
itti: The problem is maybe that games can give you a shortcut to that part in your brain that rewards you for achievements. I noticed this especially when I grinded for my first mount in WoW many years ago. It took me insane amounts of dull grinding but at the end I got this artificial reward and I was really happy because of my achievement. This is as ridiculous as it may sound...
I think it becomes a problem when developers exploit this. Grinding in (MMO)RPGs is one example, the way many modern online shooters work is another one. The Mass Effect 3 multiplayer forums are full of people freely admitting that they've spent hundreds of hours with the game, trying to unlock better weapons, without enjoying it. They would have long stopped playing weren't it for this reward scheme. Similarly, most of the online matches are farming setups, where people play a certain combination of map and enemy faction that basically allows for winning the match without moving around again and again and again.
Depressed. Really depressed. I'm not even really sure why. I guess one reason is the girl I was gonna ask to my senior homecoming dance doesn't want to go. Then my insulin pump site injector must of grew legs and walked away, cause it wasn't where it was supposed to be. So, with every bit of willpower in my body, I stabbed the 4-5 inch needle in my stomach. What does the plunger do? Makes it easier for you to inject the massive needle (helps with the mental nerves of it), and dulls the pain. So, essentially this hurt A LOT, and since the plunger wasn't there, I had to pull the needle out of my stomach by hand. Lovely.
So I woke up this morning and I heard a faint rustling coming from the curtains, I was in a rush so I didn't really pay any attention. I got back late afternoon and went to change, when I noticed on the skirting of that wall the biggest fucking spider I have ever seen in my life.

I mean no other spiders I've seen even come close. I didn't even know we had spiders that big in the UK. I fucking hate spiders. From what I've read online and from the pictures it seems to be this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider .

I may never sleep again.
Goatbrush: So I woke up this morning and I heard a faint rustling coming from the curtains, I was in a rush so I didn't really pay any attention. I got back late afternoon and went to change, when I noticed on the skirting of that wall the biggest fucking spider I have ever seen in my life.

I mean no other spiders I've seen even come close. I didn't even know we had spiders that big in the UK. I fucking hate spiders. From what I've read online and from the pictures it seems to be this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider .

There is a HUGE mutant spider that won't die that lives in my room. I feel your pain.
I may never sleep again.
FUCK, when did it start getting completely dark by 7:30? And we're not even back to standard time yet!

Anyone in the southern hemisphere have room at their house for a few months?