It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

orcishgamer: I know you might not want to hear this but:
No problem. ;) I'm just venting...

orcishgamer: When my washing machine broke down it was the coupler (and this is the most common thing to go providing you didn't burn up the motor), the part is 20 dollars and a moron could do it with any half decent pair of pliers. I know because I did it, even found pictures on the internet of how to remove the outer parts of my machine (seriously my exact model).
I did repair the first of the washing machines myself. I found the main defect to be that the coals (what are they called?) inside the motor were used up. Replacement coals cost me ~5€ including shipping. Overall the whole diagnose and repair cost me a minimum of two whole days.

orcishgamer: The dryer, can't help you, but they're really simple inside, if you didn't burn up the motor you should be able to fix it (you probably could switch to motor too, it's just so expensive it might not be worth it).
I dismantled this machine too. I guess it may be some sensor or the heater unit that needs replacing. My plan is to buy a proper multimeter to see what what part needs replacing. It's just that the time hasn't come around to actually do it.

orcishgamer: The car, eh, it's weird in America we usually have places we can work on our own cars and Hayne's manuals are 20 bucks, parts stores are common and the staff knows what they're talking about. You really can do repairs yourself, it'll take you five to ten times as long as a guy with a shop, if you know very little, but you can do it for the price of a manual, wrench set, and parts. I can see that not being the case in lots of places over there. Still, some repairs are cheap and most people actually don't do the maintenance they should on their cars, therefor when shit breaks it's unexpected, whereas if you do your maintenance the chance you'll suddenly need a tow for a snapped belt is low. So, basically, do your maintenance, if you don't know what it is check with a dealer or a trusted mechanic, they'll tell you everything your car needs and how soon it must be done. Do safety issues NOW, everything else can wait a month or two for saving.
It's basically the time problem again for me. I could have replaced one of the parts that needed replacing myself and as far as I know you can get car parts on ebay nowadays. What made me turn to a professional mechanic (on top of me not having enough time) is that several parts of the exhaust system had to be replaced. Over here we have to have our cars undergo a mandatory inspection every two years. If for some reason one of the replaced parts turns out to not be properly certified or if my car exhausts more "fumes" than allowed it would loose it's allowance to be used on public roads.

orcishgamer: Sorry for the diatribe, I do take issue with the idea that no one makes anything to last, some companies do, and what's more most people can afford products from said companies most of the time. For the rest repairs are possible some of the time. You also feel really good when you repair something yourself.
I'm with you on this. Basically there seem to be two grades of quality nowadays. There is stuff you can repair and stuff that can't be repaired (at a sane cost). Usually the more expensive goods tend to be more on the "repairable" side. I would be OK with it if they would advertise this fact openly.

What I wanted to get through is that even though I may be able to repair some of the goods it's still a major inconvenience when your stuff breaks and you don't have the time to do something about it. Imagine various items around your house breaking one after another. I can't help the feeling that my limited time could be used more sensible. With all my day work and the constant stress of daily commute to a different city I feel like I'm quickly losing motivation to go through such hassles.

macuahuitlgog: The washing machines and dryers were made by who?
We're talking about washing machines from Siemens and Bauknecht. I forgot the make of the dryer but if I remember correctly it was some cheap japanese build to begin with.
Post edited June 14, 2012 by itti
Just found out the hand injury I got at work resulted in a finger fracture. Yay!
itti: What I wanted to get through is that even though I may be able to repair some of the goods it's still a major inconvenience when your stuff breaks and you don't have the time to do something about it. Imagine various items around your house breaking one after another. I can't help the feeling that my limited time could be used more sensible. With all my day work and the constant stress of daily commute to a different city I feel like I'm quickly losing motivation to go through such hassles.
I think this is valid. I tend to invest in the higher quality items now that I'm wise enough to hold off and do research for a few weeks/months before buying, so I tend to rarely have to do anything aside from general maintenance. My used car did recently cost me 800 USD to get past my local environmental inspection, so it's not foolproof when buying used goods.
ne_zavarj: * angry *

I was called a scammer just because i offered Steam keys on the Steam forum .
I was called a scammer just because i didn't want to send the keys ( yes , someone wanted to ask about 6 ) first .
macuahuitlgog: Dude, what do you expect? You were at the Steam forums. You will never find a more wretched hive of trolls and idiots. You must be cautious there.
I beg to differ. There is an even more 'wretched hive of trolls, and idiots" among the net, and it's name like that of, Voldemort, shall forever be not named... Except this time - 4chan.

No, but seriously the internet in and of itself is chock full of e-thugs, parasites, pisants, and nulls.
Got an "interesting" call from a customer yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon. Seems that a machine goofed and the operator lost part of a pinky finger and also dinged his ring finger. Kind of assuming his right hand, knowing the layout of the machine.

After a few lengthy conversations to discuss what might have gone wrong in such a manner that the safeties didn't catch the fault, the maintenance staff took a long look at things and figured out the problem. Seems that one part had broken in such a manner that the safeties were activated but the assembly being monitored did not actually reach the safe position. Once they told me what it was, the whole incident made perfect sense.

For this mechanical fault to be a problem, the operator has to ignore a safety placard posted in that area, the one that says to keep your hands away. When they told the guy what they found, he said that over the last day or two he and another operator had been noticing a kind of 'clunk' noise during that part of the cycle.

So here's my bitch: hey, operators - if you hear a noise that doesn't sound right, then report it to the maintenance staff! He'd probably still have a complete set of fingers if he had told someone about that noise a day earlier...
orcishgamer: I know you might not want to hear this but:
itti: No problem. ;) I'm just venting...

orcishgamer: When my washing machine broke down it was the coupler (and this is the most common thing to go providing you didn't burn up the motor), the part is 20 dollars and a moron could do it with any half decent pair of pliers. I know because I did it, even found pictures on the internet of how to remove the outer parts of my machine (seriously my exact model).
itti: I did repair the first of the washing machines myself. I found the main defect to be that the coals (what are they called?) inside the motor were used up. Replacement coals cost me ~5€ including shipping. Overall the whole diagnose and repair cost me a minimum of two whole days.

orcishgamer: The dryer, can't help you, but they're really simple inside, if you didn't burn up the motor you should be able to fix it (you probably could switch to motor too, it's just so expensive it might not be worth it).
itti: I dismantled this machine too. I guess it may be some sensor or the heater unit that needs replacing. My plan is to buy a proper multimeter to see what what part needs replacing. It's just that the time hasn't come around to actually do it.

orcishgamer: The car, eh, it's weird in America we usually have places we can work on our own cars and Hayne's manuals are 20 bucks, parts stores are common and the staff knows what they're talking about. You really can do repairs yourself, it'll take you five to ten times as long as a guy with a shop, if you know very little, but you can do it for the price of a manual, wrench set, and parts. I can see that not being the case in lots of places over there. Still, some repairs are cheap and most people actually don't do the maintenance they should on their cars, therefor when shit breaks it's unexpected, whereas if you do your maintenance the chance you'll suddenly need a tow for a snapped belt is low. So, basically, do your maintenance, if you don't know what it is check with a dealer or a trusted mechanic, they'll tell you everything your car needs and how soon it must be done. Do safety issues NOW, everything else can wait a month or two for saving.
itti: It's basically the time problem again for me. I could have replaced one of the parts that needed replacing myself and as far as I know you can get car parts on ebay nowadays. What made me turn to a professional mechanic (on top of me not having enough time) is that several parts of the exhaust system had to be replaced. Over here we have to have our cars undergo a mandatory inspection every two years. If for some reason one of the replaced parts turns out to not be properly certified or if my car exhausts more "fumes" than allowed it would loose it's allowance to be used on public roads.

orcishgamer: Sorry for the diatribe, I do take issue with the idea that no one makes anything to last, some companies do, and what's more most people can afford products from said companies most of the time. For the rest repairs are possible some of the time. You also feel really good when you repair something yourself.
itti: I'm with you on this. Basically there seem to be two grades of quality nowadays. There is stuff you can repair and stuff that can't be repaired (at a sane cost). Usually the more expensive goods tend to be more on the "repairable" side. I would be OK with it if they would advertise this fact openly.

What I wanted to get through is that even though I may be able to repair some of the goods it's still a major inconvenience when your stuff breaks and you don't have the time to do something about it. Imagine various items around your house breaking one after another. I can't help the feeling that my limited time could be used more sensible. With all my day work and the constant stress of daily commute to a different city I feel like I'm quickly losing motivation to go through such hassles.

macuahuitlgog: The washing machines and dryers were made by who?
itti: We're talking about washing machines from Siemens and Bauknecht. I forgot the make of the dryer but if I remember correctly it was some cheap japanese build to begin with.
WOW, SIemens washing machines? I'm shocked. I thought Siemens produced only high quality stuff.
HereForTheBeer: Got an "interesting" call from a customer yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon. Seems that a machine goofed and the operator lost part of a pinky finger and also dinged his ring finger. Kind of assuming his right hand, knowing the layout of the machine.

After a few lengthy conversations to discuss what might have gone wrong in such a manner that the safeties didn't catch the fault, the maintenance staff took a long look at things and figured out the problem. Seems that one part had broken in such a manner that the safeties were activated but the assembly being monitored did not actually reach the safe position. Once they told me what it was, the whole incident made perfect sense.

For this mechanical fault to be a problem, the operator has to ignore a safety placard posted in that area, the one that says to keep your hands away. When they told the guy what they found, he said that over the last day or two he and another operator had been noticing a kind of 'clunk' noise during that part of the cycle.

So here's my bitch: hey, operators - if you hear a noise that doesn't sound right, then report it to the maintenance staff! He'd probably still have a complete set of fingers if he had told someone about that noise a day earlier...
One of these happened recently here locally, this is not for the faint of heart.

A big metal shredder had some sort of issue. An operator ignored safety protocol, shut the machine down, stepped inside to fix the problem (big shredder), he didn't post the sign he was supposed to post before entering. Someone came by, realized the machine was off, no sign, so they turned it on without checking.

You think you've heard the worst part, but you haven't. The machine took 45 minutes to slowly suck him in and eat him.

DO NOT IGNORE SAFETY PROTOCOL!
Why are so many call centre jobs shipped offshore? :(. Why doesnt the government do anything about all the foreignors buying up all the important aussie businesses? :( argh

DO NOT IGNORE SAFETY PROTOCOL!
As a subject-matter kinda-expert on this crap, let me also point out that us "experts" are not immune to the same mistakes. I've had three broken fingers that will attest to that.

Safety signs, though they can sometimes seem a bit ridiculous, are there for a reason: these machines / electricity / pneumatics / hydraulics have capabilities to manipulate items that are stronger than our flesh and bone. We do not present a particularly difficult obstacle for them to overcome in their efforts to do their work, and they will chew us up and spit us out if we're not careful.

I hate to sound like everyone's mother but it ain't pretty what can happen, be it a mild maiming or a gruesome death. Please be careful with this stuff, even around your own home.
nijuu: Why are so many call centre jobs shipped offshore? :(. Why doesnt the government do anything about all the foreignors buying up all the important aussie businesses? :( argh
Because the employer would have to pay you thousands of coins per month, but he would only have to pay a few hundred to an Indian, Pakistani or some guy from an African country.

It sucks, but that is reality. You should check out the freelancing websites for developers. If most EU / NA developers ask for ~300+ EUR for a particular job, a guy from Pakistan would ask for ~10 EUR for the same job. -_-
Post edited June 15, 2012 by Elenarie
nijuu: Why are so many call centre jobs shipped offshore? :(. Why doesnt the government do anything about all the foreignors buying up all the important aussie businesses? :( argh
Elenarie: Because the employer would have to pay you thousands of coins per month, but he would only have to pay a few hundred to an Indian, Pakistani or some guy from an African country.

It sucks, but that is reality. You should check out the freelancing websites for developers. If most EU / NA developers ask for ~300+ EUR for a particular job, a guy from Pakistan would ask for ~10 EUR for the same job. -_-
Yes, somehow this is considered completely okay, but I'm an asshole for trying to redeem a Malaysian Steam key for a game.

Fuck corporatism!
Because some people are very greedy is the answer to your first question.
Post edited June 15, 2012 by macuahuitlgog
macuahuitlgog: Because some people are very greedy is the answer to your first question.
Your right. Just seems to me a lot of companies make $$$ profit every year but they always come back and say "We need to trim down or restructure" and bullshit like that. Banks gotta be the worst culprits...
Elenarie: Because the employer would have to pay you thousands of coins per month, but he would only have to pay a few hundred to an Indian, Pakistani or some guy from an African country.

orcishgamer: Yes, somehow this is considered completely okay, but I'm an asshole for trying to redeem a Malaysian Steam key for a game.

Fuck corporatism!
Yeah, many would say asshole and some would say almost in the same boat as a pirate... I also hate how corporations can get away with all this shit but then when the average Joe does something that is not Saint like, there's always an angry mob screaming "THROW HIM INTO THE PIT!!!"
macuahuitlgog: Because some people are very greedy is the answer to your first question.
nijuu: Your right. Just seems to me a lot of companies make $$$ profit every year but they always come back and say "We need to trim down or restructure" and bullshit like that. Banks gotta be the worst culprits...
Yeah, seriously, how much money do they want? One does not need money to swim. That is what water is for. Isn't it enough for certain people to have multiple houses, cars, all the food they can eat, all the clothes they can wear, all the toys they can play with? Why would one want more? Are they saving up to buy the planets in our solar system or something?
Post edited June 15, 2012 by macuahuitlgog
Yey, I just love it when you, parents, tell me that you don't believe in me succeeding. I am aware of my very hard to fulfil dreams (to be a good music producer or work in the gaming industry), but it is great that you're reminding me that you think my dreams are a joke.

You're skyrocketing my motivation this way, please continue! ... Fsck!