It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lucumo: I think she was quite ugly...but I also wouldn't consider myself a DA:O fan since I really didn't like the game, despite RPGs being my favorite genre basically.
If we're talking graphics, the ones in DA:O did not exactly do her justice (but later games in the franchise did imho). I found her attractive, yet toxic and somewhat ferral, as Breja was also commenting above. This is, of course, intended, as it fits her character as envisioned by the game devs. Otherwise, what can I say, if scheming sorceresses are not your thing, you're not meant to be a witcher, I'm afraid. More for me then :D.
Post edited September 04, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: If we're talking graphics, the ones in DA:O did not exactly do her justice (but later games in the franchise did imho). I found her attractive, yet toxic and somewhat ferral, as Breja was also commenting above. This is, of course, intended, as it fits her character as envisioned by the game devs. Otherwise, what can I say, if scheming sorceresses are not your thing, you're not meant to be a witcher, I'm afraid. More for me then :D.
Thats Morrigan in the picture as well as who you are talking about as she is a sorceress.

This is Leliana and she is a Rogue.
WinterSnowfall: If we're talking graphics, the ones in DA:O did not exactly do her justice (but later games in the franchise did imho). I found her attractive, yet toxic and somewhat ferral, as Breja was also commenting above. This is, of course, intended, as it fits her character as envisioned by the game devs. Otherwise, what can I say, if scheming sorceresses are not your thing, you're not meant to be a witcher, I'm afraid. More for me then :D.
Never played the sequels after the experience that was DA:O, especially since they were called inferior. And she doesn't really look better in that picture to be honest. What also just came to mind: She looks older than me. So of course, back in the first game, she looked way older than me. Sooo...one of several reasons to not be interested. Her character...urgh.
Witcher? Don't you mean "Grey Warden"? That was actually one of the things that really bothered me.

Game: Do you want to become a Grey Warden?
Me: No.
Me: No!
Me: No!!!
Game: Congratulations on becoming a Grey Warden!
Me: ...

Offering "choices" which are completely pointless since they don't do anything...not good. Not good at all. It's even the thing from the game that stuck most with me.
Lucumo: Never played the sequels after the experience that was DA:O, especially since they were called inferior. And she doesn't really look better in that picture to be honest. What also just came to mind: She looks older than me. So of course, back in the first game, she looked way older than me. Sooo...one of several reasons to not be interested. Her character...urgh.
Witcher? Don't you mean "Grey Warden"? That was actually one of the things that really bothered me.

Me: No.
Me: No!
Me: No!!!
Game: Congratulations on becoming a Grey Warden!
Me: ...

Offering "choices" which are completely pointless since they don't do anything...not good. Not good at all. It's even the thing from the game that stuck most with me.
play elf and try not being a grey warden... feels a little like today's "hot topic"
Post edited September 04, 2021 by Abishia
Lucumo: Offering "choices" which are completely pointless since they don't do anything...not good. Not good at all. It's even the thing from the game that stuck most with me.
If you are wanting games that respects the player's choices, I recommend these two: "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary", and "Judgment Rites". You are rated with each completed mission from 1% to 100%, in terms of how close you are to the Starfleet ideal...but you can definitely opt to be Captain T. Jerk, just use your personal judgment, or otherwise be nutty. Lots of dialogue choices and actions, with various consequences. For example, you could allow your obligatory Red Shirt(s) bite the dust, fail to save prisoners by not being observant, kill or stun, use appropriate scanners, be undiplomatic, ect.

Honestly, the oldschool point-based adventure games were good about that. Unfortunately, they also tended to have unpredictable dead-end states, like King's Quest V and various items. I recommend the above Star Trek games since they are episodic, not setting you too far back if you goof up too much.
Post edited September 04, 2021 by Sabin_Stargem
Abishia: play elf and try not being a grey warden... feels a little like today's "hot topic"
Yeah, I guess that could matter too. I think I was playing a human noble that got attacked at his own place by ? (betrayed by own family?) and had to flee? It's been a while since I've played it and the story wasn't exactly memorable...at all.

Lucumo: Offering "choices" which are completely pointless since they don't do anything...not good. Not good at all. It's even the thing from the game that stuck most with me.
Sabin_Stargem: If you are wanting games that respects the player's choices, I recommend these two: "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary", and "Judgment Rites". You are rated with each completed mission from 1% to 100%, in terms of how close you are to the Starfleet ideal...but you can definitely opt to be Captain T. Jerk, just use your personal judgment, or otherwise be nutty. Lots of dialogue choices and actions, with various consequences. For example, you could allow your obligatory Red Shirt(s) bite the dust, fail to save prisoners by not being observant, kill or stun, use appropriate scanners, be undiplomatic, ect.

Honestly, the oldschool point-based adventure games were good about that. Unfortunately, they also tended to have unpredictable dead-end states, like King's Quest V and various items. I recommend the above Star Trek games since they are episodic, not setting you too far back if you goof up too much.
Hehe, thank you for the recommendations, although I don't really need them. I play a very large variety of games and for me it's more about excluding the games that I don't want to play because of certain reasons (which can actually be rather varied). The only genres I straight up don't play are rhythm games and possibly puzzle games (a certain kind of those - mostly because the puzzles are way too easy and I do actually prefer old adventure (non-)logic over them). Ah, I also used to like the CYOA books as a child (apart from standard novels, horror and crime...which I was probably too young for but eh...).
Pff, Kirk is great. I'm not a Stark Trek fan but TOS is definitely the series I like the most, followed by TNG and Voyager...and the rest I haven't seen. Though, the game does sound good. I also think I have heard it being mentioned in a retro podcast previously.
Anyway, as written, my physical games are piling up (just got a new one earlier from the post office too) and my digital games are...not piling up since they can't. So I'm good for a couple of decades. For me it's more about picking out the gems since the number of games is so absurdly high. An example would be "Return of the Obra Dinn" (funnily enough, apparently it belongs to the puzzle genre but I played it for basically everything else). There is no reason to buy an average game instead unless one belongs to the people who need to gossip about the newest ones.
RoboPond: Thats Morrigan in the picture as well as who you are talking about as she is a sorceress.
Right... and she was the main subject of our discussion. Unless Lucumo was commenting on Leliana (which I don't think so).

The reason I went with Leliana in my playthourgh was not looks, she simply seemed one who would not step all over you at the first chance and at least honest and well intended for the most part. Morrigan imho was designed to be the "hot one", but I agree her looks may not appeal to everyone. I'm the "not so big titties goth girlfriend" type of guy, so visually she was up my alley, so to say.

Yeah, agreed it was not the best RPG out there, even among BioWare Aurora engine titles. KotoR was miles ahead.

Lucumo: Witcher? Don't you mean "Grey Warden"? That was actually one of the things that really bothered me.
Meant witcher, in a crossover kind of pun :P. The similarities between witchers and grey warders are of course suspiciously numerous.
Post edited September 04, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: Right... and she was the main subject of our discussion. Unless Lucumo was commenting on Leliana (which I don't think so).

WinterSnowfall: Yeah, agreed it was not the best RPG out there, even among BioWare Aurora engine titles. KotoR was miles ahead.

Lucumo: Witcher? Don't you mean "Grey Warden"? That was actually one of the things that really bothered me.
WinterSnowfall: Meant witcher, in a crossover kind of pun :P. The similarities between witchers and grey warders are of course suspiciously numerous.
Yep, you understood me right.

Looks like KotoR used an updated engine, "Odyssey". Never played the game myself though, only saw a friend doing so. On that same engine, I did play Jade Empire (PC of course)...and it was disappointing. The best part was the setting. As for Aurora, the first Witcher game used it too and I definitely put that ahead of DA:O.

Hah, I perfectly built that bridge to this part just now. Possibly. I don't even know what a "Grey Warden" does anymore. As for Witcher...I actually haven't played the second or third title in the series *cough* ...despite owning the second one for many years now. For some reason, I missed the window to play it and so far, I haven't developed the "hunger" to tackle that game. Large RPGs or games with large areas with tons of crap to find kinda exhausted me. I tend to 100% (not achievements, I don't do those) games, so some of them can really be draining. Of course, there is also always the whole "been there, done that".
high rated
I don't have a problem with it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think such games should have reasonable precautions to insure that minors and those uninterested don't have to view them. And I think that GOG should continue to curate their incoming offerings so that the place doesn't become a slog of "hentai" sliding-tile puzzle games.

But I see no good reason why video games should be the one medium that remains in arrested development, refusing to contemplate a vast section of human experience. We need more markets where erotic content is recognized as legitimate, not fewer, so that creators of such games can improve their craft, advance their art form (yes, it is an art form), and continue to mature and innovate. As long as "adult" games are stifled, as long as it's impossible to devote years of a team's life to creating one without giving up any hope of being fairly compensated for that work, not only are "adult" games going to continue to be mostly shallow, trite, and tasteless, but the medium as a whole will suffer for effectively ghettoizing both creators and the audience that might want to purchase their work.
Lucumo: Yeah, that's why I called it a mess. I think it initially came to be when Steam didn't allow adult games on their platform some years ago. However, also some years ago, they started allowing uncut 18+ games, so technically, ever since then, the free patches have been obsolete.
Technically "yes" but since now GOG still did not want to sell those games uncensored. I remember that there was a big discussion when they added HuniePop here and it was announced the game woulkd be censored but can be patched to the uncensored version.
Hmmm somehow the silly previous issues seem so very silly.

Tales of Maj'Eyal the author put in an 'clean' patch/config button whereby when enabled will smooth out the barely-noticable-nipple-outlines on one particular title screen that goes by... And unless you were looking you wouldn't have even noticed.

WarlockOne: We need more markets where erotic content is recognized as legitimate, not fewer, so that creators of such games can improve their craft
But then we'd break out of the 'everything sold is PG-13' mentality. Remember Deadpool came out as Rated R and some parents were surprised they'd show such an amount of violence on the screen... Because they were so used to anything shown being rated PG-13 that the obvious R rating went over their heads.

The 'family friendly' presentation of the NES sorta making the stage and the standard of what a video game was. Though i'm sure more limits in space was far more an issue than the content. I've seen some NES and other adult roms, which were very low budget galaxa shooters where it had like 4 pictures in glorious 16-32 colors for the story. Static images in the very limited space didn't bode well for anything erotic.

Actually i remember Strip Poker on the Atari800, and... it was a game...

Though i really do see a lot of shovelware with adult games. memory matches, put the puzzle together, not a lot of engaging games. Japan makes tons of VN's, going full onto the 'story' with few if any game elements. Then there's some that have a good halfway mark, like Sakura Dungeon.

WarlockOne: As long as "adult" games are stifled, as long as it's impossible to devote years of a team's life to creating one without giving up any hope of being fairly compensated for that work, not only are "adult" games going to continue to be mostly shallow, trite, and tasteless
Agreed. Though you know the games will be still treated the same with brown paperbags for you to put your games into leaving everything 'unknown' about what it is you bought. Afterall i don't foresee Walmart or the big stores anything of that nature. Then again they mostly carry boxes with codes anymore and can safely just be ignored.

Hmmm perhaps the best part of the censored games is the gameplay has to stand for itself, and if you were caught playing it (so long as you weren't in an h-scene) you could pull up said version of the game and let your kids safely play it... and they'd never know (until maybe much later) that it had another portion of the game blocked off.
§pec†re: Where is the quality in the examples you've given?

My point was people equating art which is rubbish compared to something more worthy otherwise you just end up with people calling everything art.

Of course you can turn that argument on it's head and say that if everything is art then nothing is.
Perhaps I should buy a ball of nothing and put it on a little table and claim it is art then charge millions for it on that basis.
amok: the point, which you evaded, was - who decide what is or is not art? who decide what is 'worthy' and what does 'worthy' mean anyway? do you decide this? by the way, each of my examples are clasiffied as both worthy and groundbreaking pieces of art
Why is a pile of bricks or a scruffy bed, "groundbreaking pieces of art"?

Also I didn't evade your point. My original opinion on that was an outright rejection of those arguments in the first place which was answered anyway in the last sentences of my quote.
amok: the point, which you evaded, was - who decide what is or is not art? who decide what is 'worthy' and what does 'worthy' mean anyway? do you decide this? by the way, each of my examples are clasiffied as both worthy and groundbreaking pieces of art
§pec†re: Why is a pile of bricks or a scruffy bed, "groundbreaking pieces of art"?

Also I didn't evade your point. My original opinion on that was an outright rejection of those arguments in the first place which was answered anyway in the last sentences of my quote.
no you did not answer it at all. if something is art and something is not art, or if something has "worth" (whatever the heck that means anyway), then there must be some criterias and someone who must judge each peiece as being art and have worht.

Who does this? what is the criteria for soemthing to be art? what is the difference between a "genuine" piece of art and some junk? what is this "worth" you are talking about?
Post edited September 08, 2021 by amok
amok: no you did not answer it at all. if something is art and something is not art, or if something has "worth" (whatever the heck that means anyway), then there must be some criterias and someone who must judge each peiece as being art and have worht.
Who does this? what is the criteria for soemthing to be art? what is this "worth" you are talking about?
That fight goes on for millennia already. We certainly won't solve it here. Who is entitled to say what's art and what not?
Some people who think they are entitled did set a standard for some criteria, but that standard changes all the time. In the end all these criteria are purely subjective. Some people say it's junk, other say it's art, depending on their world view, if you want to say so. Is one of them right ore are both wrong? Who can tell ...
There is a lot of music I consider to be junk, still the musicians are called artists.
That's why most of the time I stick to "I like it" or "I don't like it". No matter if someone else considers it to be art or not.
For some (in my opinion) impressive pieces of work I have deep respect, those are the ones I would consider to be art.

The worth is what someone is willing to pay for it.
Post edited September 08, 2021 by neumi5694
Sabin_Stargem: Considering that most developers of perverted games lack money, it is no surprise that they can't easily make games with a solid aesthetic. Fact of the matter is that being forced underground kept these developers poor, thus they can't devote the money and people needed to make a refined project.
I disagree. There are some very aesthetic and very well rendered lewd games out there. Check for example 'Love of Magic'. Awesome game with good writing and a gripping story. And a fun combat mechanic. It would be a great game even without the lewd parts, but those are done quite aesthetically and well rendered too.

As for 'underground' or 'poor', Patreon is a way to get funds and visibility, as long as you don't overdo it with the perversions in your game.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/love_of_magic
Post edited September 08, 2021 by Lifthrasil