It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Neverfree: ARGHHHHHHHH WHHYYYYY D: the only time I don't watch is the time Warlords pops up -.-
IwubCheeze: That one went pretty quick as well
So sad :( Only game I was waiting for, curse my need to sleeep currseeee ittttt
Okily dokily, that makes sense. I suppose it's something like 5 or 10% chance of a game for free, given that I've seen quite a few people talk about getting a game for free.
Austrobogulator: I think I may have missed the explanation, but what is stopping people from constantly clicking "buy now" in the hopes of eventually getting a free copy?
The fact that you get a random number at the end of the url per game, this stays the same for the whole time the game is on and is most likely used for the decision if you get it free or not. So no change from multiple clicks.
Smannesman: I'm assuming it only does that after you continue through to payment.. although even then you would be able to do it by canceling the Paypal payment (assuming that is your payment method).
ssokolow: Nope. If it's free (like my copy of Shadowman), it just skips the checkout cart and goes straight to "purchase completed".

They implemented the "roll for free-ness check once, then cache the answer" logic within GOG's "buy now" mechanism.
Hmm then they must have implemented something to make sure you don't just open a gazillion windows in the hope of getting a free copy. Perhaps something linked to your account or something to do with session tracking...
It's interesting.
Pidgeot: Yes, that was Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within.

Not much to say other than what you know - it took forever to sell, and became a meme as a result.

That, of course, was the reason they trolled us with 18000 fake copies at the end of round 1 - fortunately that wasn't real, and it quickly went away for the start of round 2 :)
DarkRiddle: Well ehm, I didn't know that this happened last year as I was too late to join that one. But my friend who sits next to me through the whole insomnia sale actually bought Jack Keane 2: The fire Within before the were "sold out".
And he actually has a key and all. So my guess would be, yes it was (apperently) a joke, they probably put a random big number in the end and let it count down fast. But if you were fast enough, you actually got a key. :P
The sale was real, the number wasn't :)

It always ticked down in thousands, so maybe they put 18 copies up and just multiplied the number by a 1000 for display. I'm not sure myself, but if you look at the time it was up (~1½ minute), that does fit pretty well with the other quickly sold titles.
Post edited May 13, 2014 by Pidgeot
stg83: I definitely agree with that, so its good that they aren't on the main page. Some people were just really bored waiting long hours in the Keaning so they found a pass time.
Much more enjoyable reading those reviews than any advertorial rubbish published on IGN etc. If someone doesn't take the time to look into a game and see if it is for them, then...hopefully they can see the humour in it eventually. The amount of laughs overrides the stress someone will put themselves through for a poorly researched game choice :)
Tarnicus: Much more enjoyable reading those reviews than any advertorial rubbish published on IGN etc. If someone doesn't take the time to look into a game and see if it is for them, then...hopefully they can see the humour in it eventually. The amount of laughs overrides the stress someone will put themselves through for a poorly researched game choice :)
Hehe...yeah true enough the entertainment value of these reviews is unparalleled although IGN console flame wars are pretty funny too. :)
Does anyone here have an extra copy of FlatOut 2? I missed it twice.
Tarnicus: They are hilarious!

"I was sucking on the barrel of a gun, weeping, when I came upon this gem of a game.
"One last game," I told myself, "one last moment of life before I pull the trigger."
What a moment of life that was. Jack King 2: The Fist Within rekindled my passion for life and gaming. I then sold my gun and used the new funds to buy copies for all of my family, and they liked the gift so much that they came to accept and love me regardless of my condition.
I give it 5/5 or 9/10, it is my personal game of the year all years."
And one of my favourites:
"Some games might be the Citizen Kane of gaming, but Citizen Kane is the Jack Keane of films. It's on a whole different level from all that has come before."
Ungunbu: me -- no purchase and free game

EDIT
actually i bought a game AFTER having the free one

EDIT2
imho there are so many ways the randomness can be "adjusted" for particular users that it's just impossible to guess
Interesting, I certainly wouldn't have programmed it that way. Way to get more spam on an already overloaded system.
EndlessKnight: I don't see it on the list from the first wave of titles, but the Shadowrun: Dragonfall DLC would be a wonderful surprise during this sale!
Not gonna happen. The list of 100 games is already known, surprises would just throw things off and make people upset.
Post edited May 13, 2014 by deleuz
IAmSinistar: Thanks! I'll manually add Securom to the installations myself then. ;)
Tarnicus: You strike me more as a TAGES man:

"Tages was a founding prophet of Etruscan religion who is known from reports by Latin authors of the late Roman republic and Roman empire. He revealed a cosmic view of divinity and correct methods of ascertaining divine will concerning events of public interest."
Oo, yes please! The Etruscans were civilised in many ways ahead of their contemporaries.

Meanwhile, as for the games, right now I'm cutting out red cellophane to make my own anti-piracy code wheel. Then I'll be adding "enter word X on page Y, paragraph Z of the accompanying novella" prompts to the game code, after which I shall immediately lose the novella.
Another Keane candidate, its Keantered Haven.
Ungunbu: me -- no purchase and free game

EDIT
actually i bought a game AFTER having the free one

EDIT2
imho there are so many ways the randomness can be "adjusted" for particular users that it's just impossible to guess
Tarnicus: Interesting, I certainly wouldn't have programmed it that way. Way to get more spam on an already overloaded system.
i guess it's marketing that makes such choices regardless of programmers
DarkRiddle: Well ehm, I didn't know that this happened last year as I was too late to join that one. But my friend who sits next to me through the whole insomnia sale actually bought Jack Keane 2: The fire Within before the were "sold out".
And he actually has a key and all. So my guess would be, yes it was a joke, they probably put a random big number in the end and let it count down fast. But if you were fast enough, you actually got a key. :P
Note there are meant to be 101 games in the sale. The list contains 100. There are 3 rounds. The transition from round 1 to 2 was botched in 2 ways:

1/ Jack Keane came up as the 101st game briefly
2/ When round 2 began, they had the discounts from the previously ordered listing on the wrong games.

My bet is that 18,000 copies (or however many they intend) of Jason Keanu: The Fart Within will explode as the 101st game at the end of round 3.